• Published 1st Oct 2014
  • 928 Views, 47 Comments

Of Tricks And Treats - Starlight Shadow



Thirty-one Halloween-related (or Nightmare Night, whatever floats your boat) vignettes.

  • ...
5
 47
 928

Going Slow [Takes place during Luna Eclipsed]

Zecora stood at the edge of Ponyville, wearing a shawl, looking at all the ponies without stripes or manes like hers. Some of them looked over at her wonderingly. Even though she was steadily becoming more and more normal in this town, there were still some who were unnerved by her.

She tossed her head. Enough dawdling. Time to go and report to the mayor so they could start the show. She strode into town, slowing to a trot as more and more ponies looked over to her. It was still scary whenever somepony looked over at her, even if it was only to give a friendly nod.

She recalled the days when the boat carrying wandering griffons and changelings who had defected from their hives and herself had landed on the shores of the so-called "Promised Land". This was where opportunities grew on trees, so they said. Where any creature could be anything they wanted. She was seven at the time, hoping to become the village healer, and wanted to go to Equestria to learn about modern medicine and bring that knowledge home. She wanted to be in the history books.

"Do you really have to go, 'Cora?" Little Kari asked, worry etched on her small face.

Zecora patted her younger sibling's head in a manner that was supposed to be reassuring. "I'll be home soon, Kari. If I'm lucky, I'll be back by the time you're bringing home a mate." She smiled at her parents. Her father wore an expression of fatherly pride, a single tear leaking out of one eye. Her mother was unashamedly sobbing into a scrap of fabric.

"Ew, 'Cora! You're gross!" Kari wrinkled her snout.

"Well, I have to go." Zecora cast a quick glance at the dock. "Listen, Kari. Be good for Mama and Papa, alright?"

Kari nodded, tears beginning to stream down her face. "Okay. I will, I promise."

Zecora kissed her sister's forehead, waved to her parents, then ran for the boat.

"We love you! We'll miss you! Take care!"

She had failed to get enough money to go to medical school by the time the year had started, and she eventually wandered until reaching the Everfree Forest. That had been...nearly thirteen years ago. Kari would have joined a herd by now, if she intended to leave the village. Zecora was still living off the forest, occasionally helping that Twilight Sparkle and her friends. Would she ever go home?

Zecora shook her head to snap herself out of it, and found herself in front of the town hall. She pushed open the blue doors to find a slightly frazzled Mayor Mare behind her desk. "Ah! Zecora! I assume you're ready to start?"

Zecora nodded. Mayor Mare tossed her a white wig with fake spiders in it as she stuffed a top hat on her head. Someday, she would be able to get into medical school. She would go home. But for now, she had to go slow. She remembered a bit of wisdom her father had once mentioned to her and Kari. They had wanted to keep going and get to the capital faster, but he insisted on stopping.

"Rest whenever you can when traveling over the mountains. Take it one hill, one village at a time."

That was what she would do.