• Published 1st Oct 2014
  • 927 Views, 47 Comments

Of Tricks And Treats - Starlight Shadow



Thirty-one Halloween-related (or Nightmare Night, whatever floats your boat) vignettes.

  • ...
5
 47
 927

Right Round

Octavia grunted in frustration as she scratched out a B that would sound horribly out of place. There were far too many scribbles to salvage this bit of paper, so she crumpled it up and tossed it somewhere away from her desk. She took another smooth sheet of paper and lay it flat in front of her, giving it a death glare.

She was supposed to write and perform a piece for Lady Whiteflower's Nightmare Night party. It was a relatively low-key affair compared to other jobs, but one got work wherever they could find it when they were a musician with no consistent income. And she couldn't think of anything.

"Maybe Vinyl could help me out..." She mused before immediately discarding that thought. The day she took music-related advice from her roommate was the day cats and dogs became close friends. Octavia continued to stare at the paper, trying to conjure up inspiration.

"Hey, next time you throw a ball of paper out of frustration, try not to spear it on my horn." Vinyl Scratch spoke up from over on the couch, throwing the paper back at Octavia in retaliation. "And I can help you, if you need it. What does the Lady want you to do?"

Octavia sighed inwardly. "Something to dance to, but also fitting the general Nightmare Night atmosphere."

Vinyl thought for a bit, rubbing her chin, while Octavia continued to stare at her piece of paper. Maybe...She started to doodle a few notes when Vinyl spoke, causing her to scratch an unexpected black line across it.

"Maybe you could listen to some of my music, and then give it an Octavia Melody spin." Vinyl suggested. "I've got a song called 'Right Round' that would sound really cool with a string accompaniment."

Octavia thought about that. Vinyl's music often had fast-paced beats. Combined with a slower intro, then sped up near the middle....A lightbulb appeared above Octavia's head.

"Can I borrow a few of your records? I'd like to try some other songs, too. And if you tell any of your little friends about your newest 'convert to the electronic scene' or whatever then you're going to get it." Octavia added.

Vinyl grinned. "Whatever. And yeah, feel free to take some from my collection whenever, just put them back after. And be careful with 'em, that collection is my pride and joy."

Octavia smiled. "Thanks, Vinyl."

Author's Note:

What's this?! A piece of fanfiction where Octavia and Vinyl are in the same room and AREN'T having passionate lesbian sexx? HERESY!