• Published 1st Oct 2014
  • 927 Views, 47 Comments

Of Tricks And Treats - Starlight Shadow



Thirty-one Halloween-related (or Nightmare Night, whatever floats your boat) vignettes.

  • ...
5
 47
 927

Their Little Supernova

Cadance inserted a set of glow-in-the-dark vampire fangs into her mouth, making a face at the odd feeling of them resting on her teeth. She glanced up the blue crystal stairs that her daughter would come clanking down in her royal guard costume any minute now. Funnily enough, a year before her daughter had no idea what Nightmare Night or trick-or-treating was.

Nightmare Night had been invented during the thousand years the Crystal Empire was obsolete, so the crystal ponies didn't celebrate the holiday. Cadance had been quick to rectify this once she'd heard. It had taken time, patience and no shortage of caffeine, but she had done it. And it was all worth it to see her daughter all dressed up in her silver armor running down the stairs.

Nova was a spirited little pegasus filly with a creamy coat and navy mane, usually tied in a braid but now loose and sticking up out of a shiny silver helmet. Her onyx eyes from which her name found its source glittered with excitement as she spread her growing wings and glided to the bottom of the stairs, landing neatly on her hind legs with her front hooves ready to smack somepony. Just like her father had been so eager to teach her.

She let her front legs fall then whipped her head from side to side eagerly. "Did Dad see that?! Did he?!"

Shining Armor chuckled as he appeared from behind a pillar. "Yes I did, Nova. Excellent job, by the way." Nova's chest puffed out with pride. "I take it she's ready?" He turned to Cadance, his eyes laughing.

Cadance opened her mouth, but Nova answered first. "Yep! Ready to roll!" Her eyes widened once she realized that she had indeed forgotten something. "Wait! Wait just one second I'll be right back!" She ran back up the stairs to grab her candy bag.

Cadance giggled. "I honestly am not sure how we're supposed to keep up with her sometimes."

"That kind of spirit will be valuable in Guard training." Shining noted.

"She's always been your Guard brat, Shiny." Cadance smiled fondly as she recalled the first time Nova had seen her father in full armor. when she was five years old.

Nova looked up at her mother with wide eyes. "Momma?"

"Yes, Nova?" Cadance replied as Shining headed out, the crystalline door slamming behind him.

"Can I do that someday? I wanna be like Daddy."

"Of course you can, sweetheart. Do whatever you want with your life."

Nova's eyes lit up. "So I don't have to be a pretty pretty princess like you?!"

Cadance laughed. "Not if you don't want to." Nova gasped in delight. "You will have to be a princess one day," Cadance added, "but not necessarily a frilly one."

She was seven years old now, and during the two years between then and now she had thrown herself into preparing herself for the Guard. She was Shining's girl through and through, and Cadance couldn't be more proud.

Nova clattered down the stairs once more, candy bag safely hanging on one wing. "Okay, I really am ready this time!"

Cadance's eyes shone. Now she got to be an actress. "Oh, take me away, noble Guard Nova." Cadance's eyelashes fluttered as she magically secured her front and back hooves.

Nova adopted a stern tone as she attempted to imitate Hank, her friend from the ranks of guards that patrolled the castle. "That's right, move along, criminal scum." She pushed Cadance along and out the door. "And don't think your seduction tricks will work on me."

Shining vainly attempted to stifle his laughter as Nova continued to shove her mother. Does she even know what that means?! he mouthed silently to Cadance.

Cadance shook her head no.

Shining sighed as the two left. That didn't make it any less funny. He continued to chuckle as he headed back down the hall toward his office. Foals...

Author's Note:

One of these days, they will give Cadance and Shining a canon foal, and little Nova will be jossed unless I am somehow extremely lucky.

But for now, she's the best Guard brat.