• Published 5th May 2012
  • 13,474 Views, 753 Comments

The Color of Apples - Jet Howitzer



You have fallen for Applejack, but will she reciprocate your emotions? Time will tell...

  • ...
34
 753
 13,474

Epilogue III: Several Years Later...

(I thought this up while at work, and so I decided that I'd write it up, and see how it went. It's not well thought out, and it's probably not very well written, but I liked it. As the title indicates, this takes place in the future of the Nameless Romance Series Universe, so take it with a grain of salt.)
(Without further ado; Enjoy)

You paced the room with a calculated precision, each turn made after just the right number of steps. Ace’s arrival at the farm had been unexpected, but not undesired. His frantic explanations of what was happening, though, had sent you into a panic that would’ve made some of the ponies of Ponyville seem sane and rational. Rather than waste time panicking at the farm, though, you had started a sprint into town, ignoring the looks you got as the sound of your hooves pounding drowned out any voices that might’ve been calling to you.

That was three hours ago. A glance at the clock revealed that it was actually growing closer to four hours, now. Another piercing scream shattered your concentration, and the pattern of your steps was thrown off once again. You wanted to barge into the room where Applejack was, but you knew that they’d throw you out before you could make it in there. That is, after all, what happened the first time you tried to get in. Something about you violating the clean room that they had set up. You, honestly, didn’t care much for their procedures, but if it would put Applejack at risk, you understood.

“Pacing won’t make it go by faster, Taupe. Just sit down, relax, and wait for them to tell you that it’s okay for you to go in.” Storm’s words pierced your thoughts, and you cast a quick glance at him before you resumed pacing. “Or don’t listen to me, and keep trying to wear a groove into the floor, that’s cool too.”

When you were at the furthest point in your route you opted to speak to the gray pegasus. “I can’t just stand idly by while Applejack deals with this. It’s my foal too, damnit! And it’s my fault that there’s this risk of complications!”

Storm just sighed before shaking his head. “Are you really all that surprised, though? Given your unique genetic standing, are you surprised?”

“No, but that doesn’t make it easier on me. Or on AJ.”

“And what do you hope to change by pacing?”

“N... Nothing. I just hate this feeling of helplessness.”

“Sometimes, Taupe, there’s really nothing you can do. Sometimes you just have to sit back, and let the roller coaster of life take you where it will.” The pegasus motioned to the seat next to him, and you started making your way over. “It’s not like I condone sitting around doing nothing. I just know that you can’t change what’s happening right now.”

You took the seat next to Storm, and he put a hoof on your shoulder. “Am... Am I ready to be a father?” You looked up at Storm, and he just kept looking at the floor. “What if I can’t cut it? What if I mess our foal up? I know that Applejack is cut out for this kind of thing, but me? I’m just a... Just an ordinary stallion. I can’t raise the foal of an Element of Harmony.”

Storm turned to look at you. “I take it that Applejack hasn’t told you what she thinks of you.”

You hesitated for a moment, not fully understanding what Storm was driving at. “What do you mean? She’s told me what she thinks of me.”

“Well, duh. She’s told you some of what she thinks of you. But there’s more to it. There’s stuff that she’s said about you that she hasn’t told you. Like the fact that she wishes that she could see problems the way you do. Or the fact that she admires your dedication to whatever you try to do.”

You snort in response to that. “Yeah, because I’m so different from her in that regard. She’s the mare who tried to pull a whole harvest on her own, remember?”

“Yeah, but she refused to ask for help, or think of some other way to tackle her problem. She takes her problems head on, figuring that she can just make her way through with brute strength. But you? You try every way that you can think of until something works. And even then you try to make it work better. For you, there’s no such thing as good enough.”

“For me there’s no such thing as good enough? I don’t even know what to say to that, Storm. It’s like you’re trying to be deep and philosophical. But you’re failing miserably.”

“Pfft... Like you know anything about being deep, or philosophical. You’re about as deep as a puddle.”

You knew what he was doing, and you knew that it was better than fretting over Applejack’s occasional cries. “At least I’ve got some substance, then. I’d rather be a puddle than a glass of water.”

Storm was about to reply when a particularly long cry from Applejack gave him pause. Both his gaze, and yours, moved to the door. A minute later, and a stallion walked in, an expressionless mask on his face. You stood as he approached, and yet he betrayed nothing with his gaze.

“Taupe?”

You nodded hesitantly, afraid of what he might have to say.

“You’re a father.”


You walked into Applejack’s room slowly, your mind still in a daze. The stallion’s words echoed through your mind, seemingly an unreal statement to come to terms with.

Applejack holds the bundle close to her body when you walk in, her gaze settled on the foal in her hooves. Her eyes flicker up to you when she notices that she has company, and she wordlessly beckons you over. When you stand next to her, she turns the foal to look at you, and you feel your heart skip a beat when your daughter looks up at you, her eyes shining with the innocence of youth.

Her coat was a light yellow color, and her small mane was as dark as your own. Her eyes, though... She had Applejack’s piercing green eyes. Without asking permission, you clambered up onto the bed to be with your wife, and she scooted over just enough to make room for you.

“She’s...”

“A pegasus. Just like her aunt.” You moved a hoof closer to your foal, and she grabbed it in her own hooves, her grip surprisingly tight. A tiny yawn escaped her, and then she cuddled up to your hoof, her eyes closing. “We need a name, Taupe.”

You took her from Applejack, and then you held her close to your chest, her eyes opening when you moved her. You thought back to the short list of names that you’d come up with together, and one seemed to jump out at you. You looked to Applejack quickly, and she nodded, a smile coming to her face. “Welcome to the world, Opal Apple. It’s a magical place.”