• Published 5th May 2012
  • 13,474 Views, 753 Comments

The Color of Apples - Jet Howitzer



You have fallen for Applejack, but will she reciprocate your emotions? Time will tell...

  • ...
34
 753
 13,474

VIII: Terrible Puns? Yes, Terrible Puns

(As usual, let me know of any errors present. Oh, and a quick shout out to Mcyav. He's a cool guy. If you check him out, let him know Howitzer sent you.)

Scootaloo simply looked at you, tears streaming down her face. You felt paralyzed, and when she stood up you wanted to run, to hide yourself from the fury that was doubtlessly coming. But it didn’t come. She just cried.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I… Your mother, my sister… I didn’t know what to tell you.”

“So you just hid it from me?” Her tone began changing, going from sad to angry. “Why wouldn’t you tell me? Who told you that I didn’t need to know? What other secrets are you keeping?” She began advancing, her hysteria growing with each step. “Why don’t you ever talk about yourself? Are you just full of all sorts of secrets? Why won’t you answer? Who are you?”

“Scootaloo, I didn’t… Just…”

“No! No more lies!” She stopped in front of you, her face contorted into a mask of anger, pain, and sadness. Before you could muster a response the little orange filly turned and ran from you, pushing her way past the others without a care for any of them. You stood in place, unable to muster a response of any sort. The letter was lying on the ground where Scootaloo had dropped it, and everypony present refused to look at it, save for you.

You moved to where the letter landed, and you picked it up, crushing it into a tight ball of paper. You glanced at all the ponies present, and they had all averted their eyes, which only served to magnify the shame you felt. You began to walk away from them all, simply to get away from it all.

You couldn’t recall how long it took you to get home, all you knew was that eventually you thumped your head into your door. It took you several minutes of fumbling to open the latch, but it eventually yielded to your efforts, and then you stumbled into your living room. You threw the wadded up letter onto the coffee table, and then you sat on the couch, the letter on the table right in front of you.

After what felt like minutes, a gentle knocking sounded from the door. A grunt escaped you, neither positive, nor negative, simple an affirmation that you were alive, and had heard the sound. The pony at the door must have taken it for a positive response, since you heard the sound of the door open, and then the sound of the door closing once again.

Shortly after the pony takes a seat next to you, and then a hoof wraps around your shoulders. The warmth of the embrace does nothing for you, and yet you find yourself unable to escape the hooves of the pony. You reach out one hoof to the letter, and you pick it up.

“All of this trouble caused by one piece of paper.” You look at it for a few minutes longer, and then you break the silence that had fallen. “But it’s not really the paper’s fault, is it? The fault lies with both me, and my sister. Her, for her lifestyle, and me for my weakness. I should’ve told Scootaloo sooner, but I didn’t, because I was afraid of my past. I was too much of a coward to accept where I came from, and what it did to me.”

You turn your head to the pony next to you, and the emerald pools of Applejack’s eyes look back into yours. “I caused this, AJ. I caused this, and I don’t know how to fix it.”

She just nuzzles you gently, and you collapse into her embrace, weeping openly.


How long you wept for, you could never say. All you knew was that eventually you came to in your bed, the curtains closed, and a warm presence beside you. Your throat felt ragged, and breathing was unusually difficult, but you had renewed purpose. You weren’t going to stand idly by while your past tore apart everything you had worked to build.

You slowly sat up, and the presence beside you clung to you, and you looked down to see Applejack lying beside where you were seconds ago. You were tempted to wake her, and tell her what you were planning, but that would’ve only made it harder to do. You carefully eased yourself off the bed, and you made your way into the bathroom, where you quickly took care of what needed to be done, and you then stood before the mirror, looking yourself in the eyes.

The fur on your face was matted, and looked ragged from your tears, so you quickly splashed some water in your face, and in a couple minutes you looked vaguely presentable once more. You returned to your room, and Applejack was sitting on your bed, looking right at you as you came in. Her shoulders visibly relaxed as she saw you reenter the room, and you offered her a sad smile.

“This would’ve been easier if you had stayed asleep, AJ.”

“What would’ve been easier?”

“I’m going home, AJ. I ran from my problems two years ago, hoping that I could escape what I’d done, and what had happened to me. But now I see that unless I deal with the problem it’ll continue to haunt me, and ruin my attempts at happiness. I could deal with that, to be honest. If my past hurt me, and only me, I’d be okay with that. But it’s not just hurting me. It’s also hurting the ponies that I care for, and that’s too much. I’m going to go back to Manehattan, and I’m going to find some resolution. Even if I have to dig through the criminal underworld, I’m going to find out what really happened to my parents, and why my sister chose now to come back into my life.”

“But…”

“No, AJ. I can’t let my past hurt any more ponies. And you’re not coming with me. This is something that I need to do on my own.” Applejack climbed off the bed, and walked over to you, her face mere inches from yours.

“I’m coming, and that’s final. Besides, I don’t need your permission.”

“No, you don’t. But I don’t want you to get hurt. Manehattan is…”

“Don’t think to lecture me about Manehattan! I spent some time there, and I learned more about it than I care to know.” You held her gaze for a moment, and then her eyes softened. “Please, there are some things a pony shouldn’t have to face alone, no matter how strong they think they are.”

You look down to the ground, knowing that you wouldn’t be able to stop her from coming, whether you liked it or not. You raised your head back up, and you gave her a weak smile. “I suppose having some company wouldn’t be all bad. Hay, maybe you’ll get to meet my sister. Assuming that she’s not drugged out of her mind…”


The train station of Ponyville was usually a fairly busy place when a train was scheduled to leave, or arrive. The first train to leave in the morning was no different. Dozens of ponies milled about the station, either waiting for somepony to arrive, or, in your case, waiting to depart. Applejack had returned home after your discussion, and had informed her family of the situation, without going into too much detail, and had then come back, a small bag of her belongings across her back. The two of you had just three days to take care of everything before the day of the summer sun festival. Three days to find the answers you craved.

You had taken to pacing the length of the station, your body unwilling to just sit and wait for the train. On your twentieth trip down the length of the station a shrill whistle was heard coming down the tracks, and your ears perked up at the sound. You walked back to Applejack, and then you tossed your own bags across your back. All you had was a pouch full of bits, the crumpled up letter, and your latest journal. Oh, and the latest issue of Daring Do, loaned to you by Rainbow Dash.

The last few minutes passed quickly, and the train finally arrived at the station, letting off the weary passengers, and allowing the train to refuel. You and Applejack had secured a small booth for yourselves, and the two of you quickly made your way there, eager to have a place to just relax for the half day trip. It takes a full hour for the train to fuel up, and load up, but once all is said and done the train lurches into motion, and you’re on your way.

The first few hours pass in silence. You just watch the rolling hills pass by, and you enjoy the clouds as they pass as well. After watching the hills for a time you pull out the book you borrowed and you read few chapters. As you close the book, you lean back, and let out an explosive sigh. Applejack looks up at you, and you refuse to meet her gaze.

“I suppose there are some things I should tell you before we get there.” Applejack raises an eyebrow, but says nothing. “In case you haven’t figured it out, my sister, and I lived in less than stellar conditions. In fact, I’m pretty sure that there was never a health inspector by. That’s where we’ll be going first, since I want to see if she’s there. If she is, this trip will likely be shorter than planned.” You begin rubbing your hooves together nervously. “But chances are she won’t be there, and we’ll have to dive into the pit of filth that is the Manehattan prostitution ring.”

“How do you know she’s still doing that?”

“Once a pony gets into that line of work it gets harder and harder to get out. She accumulated so much debt doing what she does that she’ll never be able to buy her way back out. And the only other way out is to die.”

“I never saw anything like that when I went to Manehattan.”

“It’s not really something that you’ll see if you aren’t looking for it. A lot of the ponies in Manehattan know the various signs for a prostitute, and the small gestures that they make to lure in stallions, or mares, who are interested. Even harder than that is finding the ringleaders.” You open your mouth to continue when a gentle knocking comes from the door. You climb down from the seats, and you head over, opening the door. An elderly mare is standing there, with a small cart in front of her.

“Would you like some tea, and cookies? We offer complimentary snacks, or breakfast for just three bits.”

You give a smile, and then you go to your bag, and pull out ten bits. “Two breakfasts. And you can keep the change.”

“Oh, thank you! I’ll be sure to get those to you as soon as I can.” As she walks away you hear her talking to herself about what a cute couple, and you roll your eyes. You go back to your seat, and Applejack gives you a smile.

“Thanks for breakfast. Normally I either eat something quickly before coming out to work for the day, or I meet up with one of the girls to get something at a café.”

“Well, I figured that I could do this, since I’m going to be putting you through quite a bit over the next few days.” You look her in the eyes, and she looks back, unflinching. “It’s going to be hell, AJ. You’re going to have it worse than I am, though. You’re young, pretty, and unblemished. It’s a good thing you’re as tough as you are, or this would be next to impossible.”

“Glad I could be tough enough for you.”

“It’s not a problem, AJ. I admire, really. I have endurance, but I’m not really into fighting. You, though, from what I’ve heard, don’t seem to have a problem with violence.”

“It’s not like I enjoy it!”

“No, but you’re good at it. Anyway, do you have any questions about what we’ll be doing?”

“No, but I want to learn some about your sister.”

“Oh, jeez.” You bring a hoof to your face, and then you rub it down your muzzle as you look back at Applejack. “Her name is Sunburst, after her orange coat. Mom and Dad doted on her for years. Her beauty was unparalleled, and she had more coltfriends than I could count while I was growing up. I often saw her making out with them, but I never told our parents, since we were too close for me to do something like that to her. After our parents died she started changing, as I’ve already explained.”

“Your parents named your sister after the color of her coat? But what about your name? It’s not like-”

“No. Don’t say it. I loathe my name. I never forgave my parents for that atrocity they saddled me with.” You pause for a moment, before you chuckle weakly. “‘Saddled’. We wear… nevermind.”

“If you insist. Although I don’t see anything wrong with it.”

“Anyway… In the weeks before I left my sister began to change in ways that I didn’t approve of, but she insisted that it was for the betterment of our family. She’d start coming home drunk, and she even started dying her coat and mane different colors, claiming that it was for the business she was in. The only thing that she never changed, even though it became possible, was her cutie mark. No matter what, she kept that the way it was. A microphone with a pair of wings behind it.”

“Her talent?”

“She had a voice that could make statues weep tears of joy, or bring the most savage beasts in line. After our parents died I can only recall her singing once, and that was just days before I left home.” Another knock comes from the door, and you open it to see the same old mare as before, this time with a cart laden with more elaborate food.

“I’ve got your breakfast for you, dearies. I told the chef about you two, and he whipped up a few pancakes for you, in addition to some French toast. I do hope you two enjoy. Oh, and deary,” she turned to you, “could you help an old mare with the table? I’m getting a bit too old for this.”

You nod, and follow her into the hall. Once you enter the hall she turns to look at you, and she beckons you to come closer. You oblige, and she speaks in hushed tones.

“She’s a looker, she is. Keep her safe, sonny. Manehattan is no place for an innocent mare like her.”

“Trust me, I won’t let anything happen to her. I’d put my life on the line for her.”

“I’m certain that won’t be necessary, deary. Just keep her close.”