• Published 8th Aug 2014
  • 2,819 Views, 271 Comments

Yonder Wandered Fluttershy - Darkonshadows



Fluttershy is a long way from home; will she survive the harsh and crazy universe while exploring its many wonders? She loves everything after all, now she has to prove that she does and it may just keep her alive.

  • ...
7
 271
 2,819

PreviousChapters Next
101

Charlie was an intelligent dog and had a bit of a wild streak in him, but this situation was beyond him and his best friend. He even checked his own brown fur to make sure that he was the right color, because when he stepped into the insane asylums entrance two minutes after the sounds of horror stopped, he saw horrors that he wasn’t likely to ever discuss with his best friend Itchy in depth. It was best that he forgot all about this once it was over with.

Itchy was a wiener dog and had often complained about having short legs and he barely spent any time in heaven before his best friend dragged him into hell, he barely got the chance to enjoy flying around. He didn’t mind as he’d always be Charlie’s friend, even if it was dangerous to continue being so. He had to watch Charlie’s back as he needed all the help he could get. The time Itchy didn’t watch Charlie’s back, he was murdered by Carface and this situation seemed far worse than anything he has ever dealt with before. Even then he followed Charlie into this place assured that hopefully Annabelle would protect them.

Annabelle was looking around at the décor, she had them wait outside for a minute or two for the sounds of fighting to die down, upon entering Jenny and Virgil were the only ones with the stronger stomachs. Before them in the entrance to the asylum was a rather macabre scene, though Annabelle had to admit that the gore chandelier that Belladonna had made was a nice touch and she had apparently quite liberally painted the walls in demon guts.

In the middle of the room Belladonna was laying on her side with Soft Echo petting the side of head. Belladonna was uninjured, but obviously quite tuckered out. Everything within a five foot radius the dog and filly pair was particularly spotless and clean, the walls and surroundings were covered in dead or dying pulped demons of various kinds.

Padding up to the two Annabelle looked up at the chandelier made from the twisted… no, those demons were still alive up there. It was about as interesting as watching paint dry for Annabelle, to see the still living demons with their internal organs and bones twisted and fashioned into a chandelier that had a pool of blood beneath it. It seems Belladonna had a flare for causing endless agony today, until those demons stopped clinging to life they would only know pain as a horribly physically conjoined mass of flesh.

“So… did you’re tick finally leave or is she still sucking all the evil out of you?” Annabelle ignored Charlie, Willy and Itchy losing their lunches behind her as she had seen stuff like this before and it wasn’t the first time the boogey dog was sadistic in her ways. Honestly frightening little angel puppies with stories of Belladonna wasn’t all that hard, because belladonna was quite good at coming up with obscenely horrific sights. She could only wonder what would happen should a demon be brave enough to hurt Soft Echo in front of Belladonna.

“I loathe your existence.” A huffing and puffing Belladonna had directed that statement at the filly who was still petting her in a fond manner and she squeaked happily at the once again purple hound. “Also shut up Annie, I’m still plenty evil!”

“Yes, turning at least seven different kinds of demons into a living chandelier, quite evil of you to perform such a grotesque act against other demons. All while protecting a sweet little child who has been nothing but entirely affectionate to you.” Quite frankly at this point Annabelle thought it had to be obvious that Belladonna was protesting the affection way too much. “Oh and you’ve sent every demon that killed the humans to the underworld already, Red is certainly playing to his strengths. He must have left humans to die of their wounds or had most of his weaker minions kill them.”

Soft Echo knew the pretty purple dog would protect her and she really liked cuddling up to the warm dog that did so many neat things that normal doggies don’t do, then again she didn’t know what a normal doggy looked like. It was hard to be scared of all the strange things around you when you had what amounted to a big teddy bear with you. She had been quite distracted by Belladonna’s presence as she hadn’t noticed her mother had been gone for a while.

Virgil sighed as he finished his last mental calculation as to what was exactly happening here, it was obvious to him that this was quite an obvious grab for power. He decided to voice his concern as Annabelle set up a glowing white pillar of light in the room using her angelic powers to create what was obviously a small safe zone, in the same cleared out area that was covered in demon gore.

“Excuse me, but I think it would be a good idea to listen to what I have to say. While I know we do not have much time, I have to ask a question. Depending on the answer, it will tell us just how dire things are.” Once they were all within the circle of light and Virgil was given the go ahead, he decided to expunge his mental calculations as to what future events may occur. “Yes well, tell me, when the paradox sets off how much energy will be released from the magic and spirit realm suddenly flooding the mundane realm? Of course the real question is this, can this demon known as Red absorb said energies once they are released?”

Jenny had a horrified look in her eyes, which was the answer Virgil needed to know as to what his answer was. Even Annabelle became a tad stiff as her eyes widened at the implications.

“I have predicted the three likeliest courses to the future based around our future actions. The first one is where we successfully create a stable time loop thereby preventing the paradox’s existence and saving the world from falling into calamity, however Red will try to slaughter us all even if it would end badly for him. Two my most recent friend Fluttershy kills herself in order to prevent the paradox from happening and Reds rise to power, he will still come at us to kill us all. Three, Red succeeds in gaining enough power to start an apocalypse to shape the world to how he wishes it to be, he can then rule over us as a malevolent god. There is a fourth future where we succeed and survive the process of doing so, but I’m used to horrific things happening around me so I’m a tad biased and this one may be just as possible as the other options. The combined laws of heaven and underworld don’t entirely apply to beings born outside the influence of Earth; it means he can kill anyone alien to this world without repercussion from Annabelle.” Sometimes Virgil really didn’t calculating the odds of all of them surviving; they only had three fully capable demon fighting people with them. Also he knew the rules of the spirit realm, especially about how demons can’t outright attack mortals of Earth or go overboard in certain ways. “We have approximately an hour to reach Fluttershy and fix this paradox from the moment I say… now.”

Virgil already calculated that Annabelle would likely be held up from performing any action by the obstructive bureaucracy of heaven until it was too late. As long as Red doesn’t personally break a rule that will allow Annabelle to act against him without repercussion, Annabelle couldn’t actually touch him. Fluttershy and Felicia were alien enough to not count as breaking a rule when he kidnapped them or knocked them into unconsciousness. Belladonna tired herself out and would waste time in getting back up, but would be very useful as she wasn’t as obstructed as Annabelle was. What Belladonna had done to herself, while it had given them an entrance, had weakened her greatly. Then there was Jenny the thickly pink haired beauty with the pearl white fur, she was an alien being of magic that worked extremely well against demons and was likely their best hope in this situation.

Of course those calculations were only for the group in the entrance to the large insane asylum; Virgil got some really strange calculations when he tried to put Fluttershy and Felicia into it. He didn’t know what Felicia was capable of, but it did change the odds in their favor at least.

“Hey cat lady, can you relay some information to this tick’s mother? Watch the shadows and listen to the ceiling, there are Skitter Scythes around.” There was a moment of silence as they stared at Belladonna. “Let her know that the demons won’t kill her since Red needs her alive and in good health, however Felicia is not under the same rule. So she better fight with everything she’s got, because I don’t see him entertaining the thought of making her a plaything if she becomes too much trouble for him.”

Jenny closed her eyes and put her hands up to her memory stone where she started mumbling.

“Fluttershy has managed to break free of her confinement, Felicia is slowly forcing herself free and Red is expending his energy to pin her in place. We don’t have much time; I will free Felicia and double our chances of solving the paradox with good results.” The green eyed Jenny looked to Willy with a bit of worry, sure she may have been shorter than an adult human, but she was far more powerful than him in a fight and she could traverse this building safely. “We have no idea how well maser weapons would affect demons, so it is best that you stay with Annabelle. I’ll find out how well masers will work for you in this situation and I will relay the information back to you so you’ll know if running is a better option Willy. You can keep him safe right?”

“Of course I can, if demons attack him I at least have the right to protect him. It is so unfortunate that I couldn’t have saved the humans that died here though, bless their poor souls. We’re going to be staying here to hold up the angelic field, it will be safer for him that way. Go free Felicia; we will seek out Fluttershy together if she can’t find her way to us. Red wouldn’t want Fluttershy to fall under my protection, so we’ll split his focus as much as we can.” Seeing the looks from her two angel dogs, Annabelle decided to make sure they understood the truth. “Belladonna might not have said it outright, but this wasn’t an abandoned insane asylum. A few hours ago all the misunderstood or truly insane souls in the building perished. Not all the blood on the walls here is from the demons Belladonna just mauled.”

-

Less than an hour to save the world, then again it almost seemed like every world was almost always an hour away from destruction. Fluttershy had in fact been on a planet before it exploded. Sure she wasn’t the cause, but she still couldn’t help but feel bad for not being able to stop it from happening. She wasn’t exactly in the best state of mind to prevent its destruction at the time and had obviously been there for a while. This was something she could actually prevent and she would do so or quite literally kill herself trying.

Nudging her nose out of the door she flicked her ears and listened carefully, still having the echo sight ability was exceptionally useful at the moment. Stanley had only taken away all the negative problems her body had; it didn’t take away the positives to having vampire fruit bat abilities fused into her very being. She pulled back from the crack in the door slightly and looked through the crack in the door as she heard the thud of something stomping its way down the hallway.

The pony stuffed her hooves in her mouth to prevent herself from screaming. A giant mound of humanoid flesh covered in sores, slowly oozing wounds and multiple mouths and eyes stomped right by the door while dragging what looked to be a corpse stripped of its skin that left a bloody smear on the ground in its wake. She had never seen a creature so horrifying; Ever Free Forest monsters didn’t look nearly as horrible compared to what had just passed right by the door.

Flicking her ears she made sure it was out of visual sight and used the soft sound of its elephant sized legs stomping on the floor to map out the surroundings, Fluttershy slowly opened the door which creaked slightly and she slipped out and slowly closed it behind her. There were a lot of dimly lit padded rooms in this corridor… well at least she knew what kind of building she was in.

The irony was not lost on Fluttershy that she was in an insane asylum and she was truly thinking that she belonged in one at this point; her life was insane enough for her to be committed to one. If she were a more fatalistic pony, she would have definitely given up on life by now.

She stayed low to the floor and was moving almost with a crawling motion, she did not want to attract the attention of everything she could hear moving in the walls. She didn’t even know which way she was going and she had to duck into a room to watch a monster with tentacles slowly slithered by, she didn’t like the smell that came off it. It was like the smell of rabbits in heat and she’d rather not know what that demon truly looked liked under all those tentacles.

All Fluttershy had to do was meet with either Jenny or Felicia. That was all she needs to do right now. She didn’t know which way to go and the corridors smelled horrible and were swarming with demons like the strange spiders that had sharp blades for legs. Flying wasn’t about to happen, as she didn’t want to be immediately caught. Things were poorly lit and she was relying on her good sense of hearing to get herself around the demons that were slowly degrading the building around her just by being themselves.

The shy pony stopped when she saw an intersection where a lot of overturned gurneys were, someone obviously tried to wall off areas from each other and had failed judging by the blood shaped outlines of humans marring the walls.

Some time into her journey of trying to find the correct path to take to find her way out, Fluttershy had gone up two flights of stairs and had seen a sign that said basement level nine at the first flight of stairs she came across. She had passed by an operating center where eyeless humanoid monsters were cutting up raw recently deceased flesh and then promptly feasting on it. She was sick to her stomach about all of this, having seen one of them eat the brains out of the skull of a dead human.

It was two flights of stairs later that the demons started getting much more active in looking for her. She shivered as what looked to be a cute little red bipedal horned creature with a pitchfork searched a nearby spot that she could have used to hide before moving on. She was quiet as a mouse and just as stealthy, for a walking cardboard box.

Fluttershy had found a cardboard box on the previous floor and thankfully demons weren’t too bright about checking the moving box. Demons, while seemingly powerful, weren’t very bright on the intellect scale except in some rare cases like Red and Belladonna. She was being swift and making good time it had only been twenty minutes and she had yet to run into the more horrific beings she kept seeing in her echo sight. As a pony who avoided conflict, Fluttershy definitely wanted to avoid conflict in this situation.

Turning into another corridor and walking down the middle of it, Fluttershy really wondered why the demons were ignoring a moving cardboard box with handhold holes that could be seen out of. The only thing that would give away the fact that she wasn’t a cardboard box was her tail, she held her tail hair clutched in her right wing like a safety blanket as she carefully shuffled forward out in the open.

Much to Fluttershy’s surprise she discovered why the demons left her alone when another cardboard box turned the corner she was coming up to and approached her. She could see a pair of malignant red eyes in the other cardboard box and the shadowy legs propelling it forward. When they came face to face, Fluttershy shuffled two steps to the right and surprisingly the demon in the box shuffled to the right two spaces as well. Having given each other enough clearance to pass without touching, they both continued on their ways at the same time with Fluttershy getting really tense until she reached the next set of stairs and decided to rest for a minute.

For some reason all the demons she met avoided the stairs like the plague, it was like they had a serious form of bathmophobia and the stairwells were always safe to relax in. She had to circumnavigate hallways with holes in the floor because the demons didn’t use the stairs or even go near where the stairs were located. They’d rather jump or crawl up the walls to the holes between floors than use the stairs. Another five minutes and two more staircases passed by without Fluttershy being caught. She was lucky enough to have found an empty cardboard box that wasn’t a demon in disguise or had a demon in it like the one she saw in the corridor, it was beginning to make her paranoid about her surroundings the further up she went.

The demons were everywhere, the most disturbing demon the pony had seen so far was the one disguised as a filly version of her that skipped happily while singing songs about spilling blood of many innocent animals in an overly cheerful manner. The song had lyrics about the dead animals rising back to life and raping people who would die from it and then rise up to do the same to others. Nightmares were certainly going to be had about that.

She was two floors down from the main floor and hadn’t run into a snag yet, apparently a cardboard box was safe enough to hide in from demons. It was kind of like the hiding under the covers from the monster under the bed scenario, as long as they don’t see you they can’t get you. Given the fantastically awful things Fluttershy had seen in the past seven floors, she was very close to becoming a basket case.

The smells the demons could put off were terrible, among the things she could recognize were brimstone, ash, blood, rotten eggs, the smell of a skunk that just sprayed, a durian that’s been cut open and strangely enough parsnips. The sights were always gruesome, what she could hear wasn’t any better and the only sense that Fluttershy had that wasn’t traumatized at the moment was her sense of taste. Having to wade through freshly spilled blood or around mounds of demon fecal matter that quickly spawned flesh eating maggots out of nowhere didn’t help much in that regard.

The building shuddered as something exploded above her, there was a loud roar of anger that sounded like Red had just met someone who was likely going to be in for a fight of their lives. She redoubled her efforts to carefully guide her way through the next floor and found a staircase that wasn’t partially destroyed that went up to the main floor. Whoever designed the architecture of this building had keeping crazy people from escaping in mind, especially as its main theme. That was why it made for such a devilish fortress to escape from.

Despite reaching the main floor, Fluttershy didn’t immediately drop her cardboard box. She stayed at the top of the stairs flexing her ears in the pattern of left, right and then both of them upwards at the same time. Things were too quite except for the rumbling of battle some floors above; the building had nineteen floors in total with nine going up and nine going down. She couldn’t detect any demons near her, but she didn’t trust her echo sight entirely as these monsters were quite good at stealth, with her only being more experienced than them in staying completely out of sight.

Meandering down the corridor and passing by a clock, Fluttershy added three hours to the clock mentally and figure she had about more than twenty minutes left. Turning and continuing to be a cardboard box that moved, she came into the vast lobby area that had the most horrific chandelier she had ever seen. The other thing she saw was a pillar of white light and several figures sitting inside of it staring at the ceiling. Sighing with relief Fluttershy slowly made her way forward, only slightly wary of the figures sitting in the pillar of light. Even if one of them did look like Annabelle she wasn’t about to trust what she was entirely seeing yet.

She made it into the light and that was when the three dogs, the human and slightly sad Soft Echo noticed the strange cardboard box that moved on its own. Once Fluttershy was absolutely sure it was safe, she lifted the box off and got immediately tackled by a squeaking little filly.

“Um… hello, where are Felicia and Jenny? Also if you don’t mind me asking, why is Soft Echo so sad?” The filly was nuzzling Fluttershy like no tomorrow and squeaking something about her doggy leaving her here.

“Belladonna went to aid Felicia and Jenny; they’ve apparently run afoul of Red and are fighting him at this moment. I, Charles and Itchy are maintaining this repelling barrier. Willy there has shot a few demons that have tried to bring the barrier down and it would be best that you call our friends and tell them you’ve made it to the entrance.” A concerned look crossed Annabelle’s face as she took in Fluttershy’s thousand yard stare; apparently the pony had been highly traumatized even if she was unharmed. “We still have about fifteen minutes left to solve this, let us hope they can get back here in time.”

Author's Note:

Fluttershy didn't know Belladonna came to the insane asylum explaining her comment about where Felicia and Jenny are.

As to the reasoning behind why demons are afraid of stairs? Stairways lead to heaven, roads to hell which are sometimes paved with good intentions. The most interesting roads are those that are less traveled.

Bathmophobia is the fear of stairs and slopes, there's a different phobia entirely just for going up or down said stairs or slopes.

PreviousChapters Next