• Published 2nd Oct 2014
  • 13,021 Views, 625 Comments

Celestia's New Student - Art Inspired



Trixie becomes Celestia's new pupil.

  • ...
61
 625
 13,021

Seventeen: Performance

The night Trixie would be performing, an unusually intense glow came from the moon. With so many ponies gathering just in the distance, even Princess Luna felt obligated to at least observe what was going on. While her sister had located herself much closer to the stage, but still higher up, Luna could be spotted watching from her tower. Celestia was hidden from view for the most part due to some silhouette curtains hanging from overhead, but that didn’t stop her company from finding her.

A dark presence came near Celestia’s side, and sat. His fur was unmistakable, and Celestia asked Wolf, “Did you merely come to be with me because I asked it of you, or to truly see the show that Trixie has put together?”

Wolf responded gruffly, “I have nowhere else to be… Besides, that student of yours is a curiosity. I understand how she plans on putting the medallion to good use, but it could’ve been kept somewhere else. Somewhere safer, wouldn’t you agree?”

Celestia commented, “The best use for such an artifact is very little use at all. That’s why what it’s being used for right now will do quite nicely.”

Despite Celestia avoiding his question, he nodded, and answered, “Indeed.”

Celestia’s gaze wavered from everypony down below to Wolf, and she asked, “Will you be staying, or returning to Kiyak?” He didn’t answer immediately, so Celestia continued, “I mean, it’s been over a week now…”

He blinked, and looked away. “No… I think it’s time to make a new home here. It’s safer, after all, and…”

“Yes?” Celestia asked, leaning towards him.

“Trixie could use a guardian.”

Celestia smiled, and asked, “Are you insinuating I can’t keep her safe without your help?”

Wolf merely smiled back, and then looked down at the crowd. The show was about to begin, so the two spoke little afterwards. Meanwhile, behind the curtain of Trixie’s readied stage, the showmare trotted forth. She had just finished going over the plan one last time with Moon Dancer.

Having already gotten her hat, Trixie entered her make-up room to retrieve her cape, the very same caravan she had arrived at Canterlot with. Aside from most recent activities, it’d been awhile since she’d last spent actual time in there. She hadn’t the chance before, because her caravan had been so far away from her room, but entering it once more and standing all by herself, something felt off. It was the extra cape sitting on her hanger.

It greatly resembled her own, but was a brilliant red with yellow stars emblazoning it, and Celestia’s cutie mark symbol of the sun. attached to the fabric was a note from Princess Celestia herself. She read, “This is a gift, because you’ve been doing so well lately. Keep up the good work, my new student.”

It magically floated over and onto her back, and rested nicely. There was a small, golden chain collar, so Trixie fastened it using her aura. She looked in the mirror to behold her new piece of apparel, and smiled. It wasn’t a genuine smile, though, she noticed.

Trixie’s grin came about from the feeling of victory. It was the same kind of grin Trixie made when Starlight Glimmer had chosen her over Twilight. Her mind traced back to when Twilight revealed that she still didn’t trust her shortly thereafter.

She gulped when remembering these instances in her life, and backed away from the mirror. “The Great and Powerful Trixie needs to stay more concentrated. She gets too cocky, and competitive, and all that happens after that is…”

She thought back to how she had almost ruined her friendship with Starlight, and how she began to cry right in front of Twilight; how she acted before her audience. “That can't happen again!” She stomped her hoof on the floor, her face now red in the mirror.

Luckily for her, for the most part, the finisher helped everypony forget what had happened that night in Ponyville, but she still remembered. This was why she periodically needed to refresh her memory, and remind herself why it was so important to remain confident, humble and friendly as often as possible.

Looking back up to the mirror, she said, “Trixie can’t get too dramatic, either. Every once in awhile, sure, but it gets ridiculous if she takes it too far… Trixie knows that by now.” She huffed, and when she smiled this time, Trixie could see the difference. This was a genuine smile.

She left the mirror, and admired Celestia’s gift one last time before exiting, and addressing practically all of Canterlot Commons. The curtains unfolded slightly to allow her to exit, and the showmare faced the most colorful crowd she’d ever had the pleasure of seeing, and all unicorns, too.

Trixie figured most would probably know many of these basic spells, but just hoped they’d never thought of seeing them used in such a new fashion before. Much like all her other shows as of late, she addressed the audience, and began to set the tone for everypony watching.

“Canterlot, beautiful as ever,” she began, the medallion above her activating, and pouring thick smoke across the floorboards. “The Great and Powerful Trixie came here seeking fame and fortune, as many of you might recall…”

A loud whistle sounded from one of the audience members, and to which Trixie responded with, “Of course, who wouldn’t come to such a city like this seeking the very same thing? The ponies here are impressionable… The sights, the smells, and everything about Canterlot draws Trixie back no matter where else she might be at the time. Trixie wishes to thank you all for having her. I doubt I'll be able to stay forever, because other cities deserve these shows as well...”

Trixie took a moment to look over to where Celestia was sitting. Her white coat and flowing mane made it a little bit less of a challenge for Trixie to locate her, but once she did, she said that, and paused for just a second. She then resumed, “But, you need not worry. I'll always come back to Canterlot in the end. How could I not?”

Everypony cheered to that, and stomped their hooves to let Trixie know that she was more than welcomed at Canterlot anytime. Now more delighted than ever by this, Trixie got her show on its way by saying, “And now, if everypony’s thoroughly ready, let’s begin!”

The crowd roared, eager to know what the first act would be. Trixie began with some basic tricks that she had learned about far before meeting Celestia. A few times, Trixie got the audience involved, but nothing so boastful as her first performance for Ponyville. She then gave her new komodo dragon act a go, but this time, she was sure to give it much more dimension, detail and color. For the most part, it wasn’t anything new, until she announced that she had one last part of her show to perform.

“Thank you all so much,” Trixie said with a bow. “Now, for my great and powerful finale, Trixie shall require the assistance of just one, very lucky audience member.”

Ponies had already begun clamoring to the edges of the stage, hooves raised. All night, Trixie had been scoping out the audience for a friend that she could trust, and she could’ve bet a few hundred bits that she’d seen Twilight in the far back with a few other ponies. This shadowy figure was coming closer and closer, her hoof raised like everyone else, but she didn’t seem near as eager. To herself, Trixie said, “Sparkle will do...”

Trixie pointed to who she thought must’ve been Twilight, and even took the opportunity to help her up on stage, but upon seeing the color of Twilight’s hoof appear from the darkness, Trixie’s confident expression washed away, and was replaced by startlization. Instead of it being lavender, it was yellow, and out of the darkness, Trixie also started seeing shady wool fabric. It was a jacket, and the mare that had gotten up on stage before Trixie was not Twilight. Although, she sure did look like her.

“Hi,” the mare said, her hair bundled up to keep it out from in front of her eyes. “I’m Moon Dancer.”

All Trixie could do was tilt her head, baffled as to what might’ve been happening just then and there. “Wait, what?”

Moon Dancer blinked. “I… told you my name. It’s Moon Dancer.”

For a good second, Trixie could only stare blankly at the mare in front of her, processing the information she had collected. Then, she asked, “Not Twilight?”

Moon Dancer rolled her eyes while smiling, and said, “If I had a bit for every time somepony thought I looked like Twilight…”

“Aaand, you’re not my Moon Dancer, either? Trixie’s personal friend and assistant for tonight?”

Moon Dancer blinked for a second, and then answered to the best of her knowledge, “Err, no, I’m not… You mean, there’s another pony with the same exact name as me?”

“Well,” trixie said, glancing from Moon Dancer to the audience. “Trixie supposes you’ll meet her after the show, but for now…” Trixie wrapped her arm around the back of Moon Dancer’s neck, and brought them facing the other way for a second to explain. She whispered into Dancer’s ear, “You see, Trixie just needs you to jump behind the curtain once I cast a puff of thick smoke that’ll envelop you. After that, you’ll be able to continue watching the show from inside my caravan.”

Moon Dancer asked Trixie, “What’re you planning exactly?”

Trixie humored Dancer, “How many of these Canterlot ponies do you think have actually seen a batpony up close and personal?”

Moon Dancer’s eyebrows raised, and she adjusted her glasses. “Like, not a whole lot. I mean, except a few times on Nightmare Night... Ponies know about them, and the Lunar Guard, but interaction with them even to this day has been fairly rare.”

Trixie smiled coyly. “Good,” she said, and then turned around to face her audience once again. Moon Dancer had taken the hint, and even became a little curious to see just how this was going to turn out. “And now, I, the Great and Powerful Trixie shall transform this ordinary mare into a creature of the night!”

A few ponies were moved by this statement. Trixie could tell by how some of them asked the pony beside them what she might’ve meant by that. So, she answered the looming question herself. “What I mean is, I will be turning this ordinary unicorn into… a batpony!”

This got nearly everyone’s attention. Still, some asked what a batpony could possibly be, and for the most part, their neighbors answered them. Just in case there were still a few that weren’t following, Trixie explained in a simple sentence, “They’re basically half pony and half bat.”

With the audience ready to see this be done, Trixie hesitated no further, and shot her magic down at the floor before the hooves of Moon Dancer. Instantly, smoke coated her entire being, and in that instance, Moon Dancer leaped backwards as quickly and quietly as she could. She was now surrounded by darkness, and through the rays of light that came from beyond the curtain, she could see her counterpart pass her by from her right side.

Time slowed down while they got a good look at one another. Their eyes met for only a few brief seconds, and the Moon Dancer that had just left the stage grew more than interested in batponies than ever before just from that experience. She’d never seen the glow of their eyes while light reflected off of them, or the shine of their teeth. Her smooth wings even glistened as she left.

Now out on stage, and the smoke clearing, Moon Dancer played her part skillfully. She at first acted vicious towards the crowd, and frightened many. She trotted back and forth, gnarling. "Now that I'm a batpony," Moon Dancer said, "I'll begin feeding!"

Soon, ponies began to smile again after she menacingly devoured a peach. She obviously didn't seem so dangerous after that. Trixie had impressed everypony that night, including Princess Luna who wasn't at all expecting one of her own Lunar Guard ponies to be participating. The batpony down below socialized with many new faces that evening, and although the show was over, ponies lingered just to get a good look at Trixie’s unique assistant.

As for the other Moon Dancer, she kept her distance for a good while, allowing the batpony to finish up. Once things seemed to settle down well enough, however, she introduced herself. Things were winding down by then, so the two of them settled for plans to meet up with one another tomorrow afternoon in order to become better acquainted as friends. So ended Trixie’s big performance for Canterlot, not that it would be the last. The next day, Trixie would receive word from Celestia that she had passed yet another assignment, and that her mentor also had even more adventures for Trixie lined up.