• Published 2nd Oct 2014
  • 12,994 Views, 625 Comments

Celestia's New Student - Art Inspired



Trixie becomes Celestia's new pupil.

  • ...
61
 625
 12,994

Thirteen: Returning Home

Trixie lead the way to the throne room while the day leaned into the afternoon. "We're almost there," Trixie said for the fifth time in a row. They rounded another corner, only to find another long hallway. At that, Trixie said, "There we go."

"Are you sure you know where you're going?" Wolf asked tauntingly.

All three of the returning party members were tired from the voyage back to Canterlot, but that didn’t slow any of them down in the least bit despite the desire for rest. Each kept a fast pace, however the two behind Trixie both followed further behind than the leader of the bunch would’ve preferred. Finally, Trixie reached the doors first, and turned around to address Wolf and Moon Dancer.

“Now then, the Great and Powerful Trixie will try out her new medallion and see how her teacher likes it.”

Moon Dancer cheered for Trixie, “Woooh! Good luck!”

Before turning back around to proceed, she smiled at her new and supportive friends, and began filling the air with the densest fog anypony’s ever seen. It only took her fog three seconds to reach the ceiling. As the doors opened, a wall of shimmering gray avalanched into the entire entrance, all the way up to her highness’s hooves. Out of the gaps came Trixie and the others, and with the rays of light shining through the stained-glass windows, it made the atmosphere that much more impressive even to Celestia.

She put her work papers down, and looked over the familiar faces that had come to her. “Well, well… Looks like you found it with ease.” The princess continued to compliment, “I like what you chose for its overall form.”

“Thank you,” Trixie replied humbly.

Then, the princess turned her gaze at her old friend, Wolf. He stared back blankly as far as Trixie knew. She hadn’t yet realized the panting, and the slobber dropping to the tiles below. All this was going on right next to her, but once she did start to notice, she started backing away silently enough that Wolf didn’t seem to notice her reaction towards his disposition. Not that he’d care.

He’d been like that for a moment or two without anypony but Celestia realizing it. He just kept his gaze locked on at her direction, but she didn't mind, and just smiled craftily. Suddenly, her torso lowered while a brand new, yellow tennis ball magically came out of hiding from behind her back. She bounced and bonked it on the floor several times, which instigated Wolf to attack. First, his eyes dilated the second that toy came into his line of vision. Then, he leaped forward, biting aggressively at it, but missing at every chance he got.

“Ball! Bah-” He took another shot at trying to chomp it before yelping yet again, “Ball!”

“Come on boy, you can do it!” Celestia teased cheerfully. “Almost!”

Trixie began to laugh, and even Moon Dancer couldn’t hold in her chortles. Finally, Celestia allowed him to catch hold of it, and she let go almost too willingly. He curled up with it on the ground for a minute, and gnawed at it profusely. While he took his time with the now damp and dirty thing, Celestia looked at Trixie again. “Sorry, been awhile.”

“Oh, no, no,” Trixie said. “Trixie would feel the same exact way if she hadn’t seen her pet in a while... Hope Dingo is alright. Anyways, Trixie wanted to speak to you, by the way, about Moon Dancer and Druid Shield.”

Wolf rose, the ball held under his paw, and he announced, “Actually, I need to catch up with the princess about my mission.”

“Huh?” Trixie asked.

Celestia raised her hoof at the student, and allowed Wolf her attention. “Very well. Please follow me. Trixie?" Before showing Wolf the way into her secondary quarters, she told Trixie, “In the meantime, mingle with Moon Dancer. I’ll visit you in your room when I can.”

With the exit in the very back of the throne room being sealed off, Trixie and her friendly bat pony looked at one another. "Trixie supposes it's more important to learn of Wolf's endeavors before simply giving Trixie her next assignment..."

The two left shortly thereafter, back in the direction of Trixie’s room. No matter what, she had already made up her mind to switch Druid Shield for Moon Dancer. So long as that’s what was still the plan, she felt little need to review it.

Now all she needed was permission from at least one of the princesses. Luna would do, and by the two’s luck, she could be found entering one of the palace’s private gardens just up ahead. “Oh, Princess Luna! Drat, Trixie thinks she didn’t hear her.”

“Uh, good… Because I kinda wanna talk.”

Trixie had been so caught up in being back early that day, she hardly realized Moon Dancer’s indifferent, slowly changing attitude. She’d been more silent than when outside the cave, and her stature had changed after the princess had gone away, too. She was more worried about something, but Trixie hadn’t realized this until now. “What’s on your mind?” Trixie asked considerately.

“Well,” Moon Dancer said, her whispered tone still echoing in the emptiness of this particularly dark corridor. “I’m not sure if staying with Druid Shield is the best thing to do. I suppose I could use your input.”

Trixie drew a deep breath while her gaze wavered down past the bat pony. She wasn’t even sure how this would be dealt with, really. In Trixie’s mind, in all honesty, she assumed Druid Shield would resume gate duty.

Moon Dancer being just outside Trixie’s door, all the way down on the lower levels of the palace would allow the two more of a chance to see one another again. All this ran through her head except the fact that Moon Dancer just didn’t feel for her mate the way she used to. Once that crossed her mind, she began, “Trixie supposes the first thing we should look over is, do you love him?”

Moon Dancer merely looked the other way, and said, “I’ll always love him. It’s just, I’m worried he doesn’t love me!”

Trixie sighed, and said, “You’ll have to trust him. Tough to say when Trixie can’t even trust him, Trixie knows, but still. You have the opportunity to try again. Don’t waste it. Now then, Trixie supposes he’ll resume gate duty? Or would you rather him and you both be Trixie’s guard?”

“No, no,” Moon Dancer said with a smirk, her front hooves waving in front of her chest as if Trixie were offering her an unpleasantry. “I think it’s best he resumes gate duty. We’d better see Princess Luna about it right away… and, thank you, Great and Powerful Trixie.”

Slowly, Trixie and Moon Dancer entered the gardens. The sign above indicated its name was "Ruins", which made sense because behind the sedges laid ancient structures with Old Kingdom designs. Dead, untouched ivy hugged each mound in some unique way. Some peeled, and some was still fresh, but most of the plant life here was stuck in a balance. Most was a crimson brown, but the blotches of fighting green made the environment look so interesting.

"Princess?" Trixie asked while approaching the alicorn. Princess Luna kept her back to them, but her head turned so that she could hear. "We have a request to ask of you."

That's when Moon Dancer stepped forth. "Trixie wishes to replace Druid Shield with me so that he and I can resume our relationship in peace."

Luna's head rose, and Trixie could see her mouth opening to say something. "I... suppose that's fine. Heh..."

Trixie came closer. "What is it?"

Luna turned around, her full, luminous form glistening with the moonlight that had started to seep through the opened top roof above head. Trixie hadn't even seen the huge hole above her, but with the clouds parting to allow more light into the room, it was just too hard to ignore any longer. Princess Luna sighed before stating, "You two should be on your way. You have my permission to arrange the transfer. Just make sure Druid Shield sees me later tonight."

Trixie was just about to ask her highness if everything was alight, but Moon Dancer cut in to say nervously, "Great! Thank you, princess. I can tell you're busy, so Trixie and I will be on our way!"

She grabbed Trixie's hoof and was about to force an abrupt end to this meeting, but Luna had said quite softly, "Wait..." Of course, Moon Dancer heard her sharply, but to Trixie, she barely heard a whisper. They stood there, holding hooves, but not for long. Princess Luna reached out, and felt Trixie's. Moon Dancer let go while Luna looked closely.

While she had the opportunity, Trixie asked forwardly, "Why always batponies?" Luna looked up to her, dead in the eyes, but not harshly. "Trixie's guards," she said, unshaken.

Luna looked back down with a smile. "It's just a coincidence."

She let go, and with the other hoof, waved the two away. They returned to the hall obediently while giving each other glances. With nothing else to do in the palace, though, Trixie offered to return to her room, and Moon Dancer happily agreed. Druid Shield would be glad to see Trixie and Moon Dancer return with such good news as well. Not only that, but with the way Trixie acted towards him, it seemed he was off the hook for now. Trixie would also need to speak with the two about the requirements of her upcoming event, and their possible involvement in the show as well.

Meanwhile, All alone in the dimly lit hallway, Druid Shield stood in the corner next to the door awaiting the return of his master. “I didn’t…” he started. “I didn’t… mean to.” He breathed out through his nostrils for a couple of seconds before quickly inhaling through his mouth.

“I’m not in love with Trixie. I love Moon Dancer. It’s just, the time spent with Trixie clouded my mind. I found it very difficult to prevent such emotions from surfacing. It showed in the end, though, I suppose.”

It stayed disturbingly quiet after that. He didn’t say another word, and rather, fell back to sleep. For once, instead of him seeing Trixie in his dreams, this time it was Moon Dancer. Meanwhile, Trixie and Moon Dancer trotted closer and closer to the bedroom.

“Trixie wants to thank you for your assistance.”

“No problem. I was assigned anyway, so it’s not like I had much choice, but I enjoyed the trip.” Moon Dancer smiled at Trixie.

“Say, Trixie is wondering. Would it be at all bad if you were to perform in her show?”

Moon Dancer’s smile disappeared. “Oh, gee Trixie, I don’t know… We batponies are more attuned with solitude. We’re more scared of your race than you’d be of our’s.”

Trixie blinked. “But, if it was done on stage, everypony would see that you’re harmless, and you don’t have to reveal everything to them. Just the good parts!”

Moon Dancer sighed. "Alright, I suppose it’d be fun… somewhat, but that’s only because I happen to be a bit more adventurous than your natural batpony. For instance, I can tell you right now, Druid Shield was nervous to the core when he got put on guard duty.”

Trixie’s eyebrows raised noticeably. “Really? But, he got over it... right?”

“In time, but chances are, he was just as nervous when he met you.” Trixie faced forward more, but kept her line of sight where she could still see her companion.

“Why do you say that? Trixie is just one pony. Even though she is rather great and powerful.” She kept the straightest face she could after that remark.

Moon Dancer snickered. “C’mon, Trixie. You’ve gotta be one of the most attractive unicorns in Canterlot!”

Trixie felt her cheeks get warm. “Uhh, thank you for the compliment,” she said again facing Moon Dancer who only stared back with that usual, blithe expression. “You’re awfully forward,” Trixie admitted.

“I only speak the truth,” Moon Dancer replied kindly. “Oh, hey, there’s Druid Shield, and he’s asleep. Watch this!”

Moon Dancer crept quietly, and got nearer towards her stallion. She observed him closely, listening in on his almost unnoticeable snores. Her hoof smoothly raised his chin so that her lips could meet his, which awoke him finally. “Mmmh…”

He stared sleepily into Moon Dancer’s eyes, and then closed his happily. Trixie hadn’t even been noticed by that time, which was actually a good thing in her opinion. Once the embrace was over, he looked down, and then over to the showmare. “Oh, Trixie… I hadn’t seen you there.”

Moon Dancer spoke up. “We’ve got some news for you.”

“Wait, Moon Dancer, what’re you doing way down here again?” Druid asked.

“Well, Princess Luna sent me on an escort mission with Trixie, and while we were busy, we also got to talking.”

Trixie cut in. “Although you’ve been very useful, Trixie and Moon Dancer just get along better. Trixie believes it’s because we’re both mares, while you’re…”

“And you’ve got a special somepony already,” Moon Dancer mentioned boldly.

“Right. So, Druid Shield, you’re to resume gate duty while Moon Dancer is to become Trixie’s royal guard instead.”

He remained unreadable until Moon Dancer mentioned, “Gives us more of a chance to see each other more often.”

He smiled finally, and laughed slightly. “I can’t argue that it’s probably for the best.”

Trixie, Moon Dancer, and Druid Shield all smiled at one another, and then Trixie recommended, “Come inside, Moon Dancer, and we’ll discuss the upcoming show. Druid Shield?”

He gave her his attention before leaving to get suited and briefed with the princess. “Mmh?”

“You wouldn’t wanna be in my show, would you?”

He grinned that much more, and said simply, “Nah.”