• Published 2nd Oct 2014
  • 12,994 Views, 625 Comments

Celestia's New Student - Art Inspired



Trixie becomes Celestia's new pupil.

  • ...
61
 625
 12,994

Two: An Indecisive decision

It could've been on purpose, the way the rays of excruciatingly powerful light came through the lofty blue curtains, striking Trixie’s tightly shut eyes on target, bringing her out of the slumber she was enjoying thoroughly. Inside her domain, she awoke peacefully, and without much attention accurately aimed towards her due decision. She’d spent all last night thinking about which road to travel upon, but still couldn’t be sure as to how she could possibly handle her predicament. However, it was time to decide, and she knew this well enough.

How could she choose like this, though, with such factors tied in? It was almost unbearable to her, how Celestia would give her an ultimatum. She appeared to be pretty strict, too. It certainly did seem that either Trixie was to become her student, or remain a performer. She shifted upwards, and felt Dingo’s bushy tail on her hind hoof. Trixie had lost count of just how many times she’d told him not to sleep on her bed, but had finally given up that day.

“I don’t know, Dingo.” He looked up at her with his pure black eyes, his small yorkie ears perked tentatively. “On one hoof, I’d be stupid to accept, and yet, I’d be stupid to deny Celestia. I could always use some help with my magic, but would it mean giving up what I love to do best?”

He merely sat there, scratched his ear a little, and stared back at her again.

“Maybe you’re right… Perhaps conversing with the princess will reveal some light on this… No…” She began to shake her head in unreasonable doubt. “I’m not being realistic,” she lied to herself. “Trixie knows exactly what becoming Celestia’s student would mean. I’d be cooped up there, in that huge, royal palace for nearly the rest of my days reading spellbook after boring spellbook! I’d never see another admirer again, and just study all the time! That’s not what I want to do… I’ve decided.”

She got out of bed, and looked out the other window to see the palace up above. “I’m leaving for Las Pegasus again. It’s not exactly an easy town to conquer, I already know, but I’ve got a fair fan base there. To stay here would try my patience with Celestia always being right up there.” She pointed to the top tower with a hoof, and finished after putting it down, “I’m leaving… I won’t be her student!”

With that speech done and over with, she turned to the coat rack found by her front door that held her cape and hat, and got dressed. Dingo whined a little after she opened the door, catching her attention. “No, Dingo. I refuse to give up performing! If I knew I could be both Celestia’s pupil and a local town performer, that’d be different, but it seems to me that the princess’s teachings will keep me utterly isolated from the outside world. I don’t want that happening, and I’m not about to take a chance! We’re… we’re done with this city.”

She lowered her head in grievance, remembering Solitude Trot and how far away she had to travel just to reach the Canterlot gates, but knew that Las Pegasus was the only other town she could live in. It’s where she had learned most of her latest and greatest tricks from, including the alicorn illusion. She’ll never forget that geeky colt’s face, and how smug he behaved down in the audience, and what a fool he made her out to be, just by requesting her to grow wings and fly away.

“At least this time, I’ll be prepared. Finding that one taboo shop before getting on the main road was a lucky discovery, and them having such a lifelike pair of wings was even better! Maybe I’ll run into him again this time around. It’d serve him right to mess with the Great and Powerful Trixie, to see me transform!” She nodded, and walked out of the caravan, ready to take on the lonely road that lead back to her former home; back to Las Pegasus.

In little time at all, she had herself strapped up again, the latches rubbing against her sides. It was an annoying feeling, but a welcomed one at that. It reminded her of all the times she was forced to pack up and leave, which she’d done so many times already, but to do it again this time around just felt wrong. Still, though, she got to it.

The gate she had entered through was only a few yards away, and yet, she couldn’t walk one inch without somepony from the nearby restaurant railing asking her, “You’re… leaving, Great and Powerful Trixie?”

She just looked up at the mare, noticing it was the same head of hair she’d styled yesterday, and nodded solemnly. “Trixie can’t stay here, you see… She has to go, but she’s sorry, and maybe someday, she’ll return.”

The country mare hung her forearms over the cold steel, and watched Trixie turn around the corner, assuming she might not ever see the performer again. In little time at all, Trixie would arrive to meet with the same guard she’d fooled not too long ago. This time around, though, he wouldn’t be so easily duped. “Well, look who it is… Come to make a mockery of me again, huh?”

Trixie’s front left hoof rose as if to block a possible oncoming assault while worry washed over her. “What? No, I just… wanted out of the city is all! I guess… you know by now…”

“That you didn’t actually open this here door? Yeah, I thought about it… You are… just…”

She braced herself by squinting her eyes shut, ready for the onslaught of insults. “Please don’t ridicule me…”

“Amazing!”

She opened her eyes to stare at his smirking face. “What?”

“You completely had me fooled! After awhile, I realized the diversity of you opening it, and when I opened it. It. Was. Mindboggling.”

Trixie tried her best not to smile at the humbling compliment, but couldn’t, so she hid her pride with her already hovering hoof, a rare thing to see Trixie do for sure. “Just… open the door.”

His own smile turned into a frown, and fast. “What?”

She just stood there, her head held low. “I can’t stay here, so I’m going back to where I came from. Just let me go, please.”

“You’re leaving?” he asked, his stature becoming almost limp with disappointment. “I never even got to see your show!”

“Let me go!”

A few ponies in the distance looked over, but soon, resumed with what they were doing, but they still observed in secrecy, hoping this wasn’t really happening. As for the guard, he just nodded, his brow furrowing. “Fine.”

The door opened for her, and for the longest time, longer than what it took to open the way for her, Trixie stared out at the rising sun. Hills upon hills, and then one star high above was what she saw. To choose her words wisely, Trixie would’ve described it as disgusting, but that wasn’t going to stop her. So, she started to walk, but was stopped by the guard again, him asking her, “What happened?”

Trixie waited for the answer to come to mind, but could only say, “I lost my nerve.”

He followed her out, and decided to ask after the door closed behind him, “Will we ever see you again?”

“Maybe,” she replied. “Maybe…”

This time, she wouldn’t stop until she was completely out of his sight. He was speechless by then, to say the least. So, he just watched on as Trixie went over one set of hills, and then another, until finally, she was too far away to see anymore. Yet, still, he looked forth, wishing to see her come back over that last, golden hill.

“I can’t believe she refused Celestia’s offer,” somepony said from high above.

He looked up while backing away from the walls to ask, “What offer?”

“The news is all over town! Celestia wanted her to become her new student!”

Another pony poked her head out from beside the others, and included, “She must’ve declined!”

Looking back, the guard huffed emotionally, and mumbled, “She wasn’t up to the challenge…? What could’ve made her shy away from such an honor?”

Eventually, the crowd left the tower banisters, only to continue talking with one another about the recent events. As for the guard, he stayed outside, trying to add up the math with mixed results. It just didn’t make sense to him, how such a mare like that could, as she puts it, lose her nerve.


The minutes ticked by all too slowly for Trixie. By now, she had lost count of just how many humps she’d gone over in one day, and her back ached tremendously from all that weight having to be yanked over the tops, and then slowly brought down due to the road becoming a harsh slope. She finally reached an all too familiar spot, the exact same clearing she’d camped out at just two nights ago. Even the rocky fireplace remained where she’d left it.

She settled herself here for a while to give herself a much needed break, and even considered staying the rest of the day and night, if only to contemplate her choice in life a bit more. With a few sparks from her horn, the left over campfire was ignited again, and she sat in silence, watching the sun race downwards towards a few houses just barely visible beyond the horizon. No positive thoughts came, though. It was all irrational negativity for her. Trixie had truly allowed her greatest fears to cloud her judgement on such pressing things, and there was no turning back… not without the help from a friend.

She stood back up gently, and was relatively surprised at how loud her shifting movements were. The rustling of dirt was amazingly sharp this time around, and the smell of the flames were all too distinguishable from the natural air. It almost brought about this sense of displacement, to know just how real her situation was. “Right about now,” she spoke to herself. “Right about now… Celestia is wondering where I am.”

She sighed, and turned towards her caravan, ready to start sulking, but not out here in the open. Even though she was beyond alone, if Trixie was to cry, she’d do it in privacy. She didn’t even want the chirping birds to know of her unquestionable despair. The door creaked open slowly, and while she trotted up the old, squeaky stairs, she took in the inside surroundings. There was the comforting bed in the back, a mirror to the side, and the plush pillows she’d laid on so oftenly whenever she needed a hug. Which shall be the shoulder she’d cry upon? Holding in her tears, she started to move distractedly towards the mirror.

Her reflection showed water behind her eyelids, predictably. It had to have been the only flaw of hers at this point, because everything else to her was gorgeous. Still, taking that in, she felt the moist line race down her cheek and finish its course right at her chin. It hung there for a moment, wiggling with every shaky tremble, and finally fell to the floor thanks to her bottom lip beginning to quiver.

Knock!

“Huh?” Trixie asked, almost jumping away from the stand. She curiously looking down at the drop of water on her wooden table, and silently remarked, “That… was loud.”

Knock!

Knock!

Knock!

She looked over at the door, where the odd noise was coming from, and asked, “Who could possibly be here, of all places…?” She sat up arbitrarily, only to stand up completely, and walked up to the entry way. She then softly placed her left ear on the surface, and asked, “Hello?”

“Trixie? Is that you?”

She gasped while backing away, unable to accept who was at her door. The timing couldn’t be more unbelievable. “Twilight Sparkle? It can't be!”