• Published 2nd Oct 2014
  • 12,959 Views, 625 Comments

Celestia's New Student - Art Inspired



Trixie becomes Celestia's new pupil.

  • ...
61
 625
 12,959

Nineteen: The Night Before Everything Else

The experiences for Trixie after leaving behind Canterlot, as well as Celestia would add up faster than she expected them to, one of them being the salvation of practically an entire race otherwise known as the Changelings. For now, however, it involved her and Starlight traveling long periods of time to Our Town together. Little did they know of the trials they would soon face with Queen Chrysalis.

Trixie had just lettered Celestia to let her know how things were going, and to assure Celestia that she was indeed safe. Luckily for her, there was a post office just up the road from where they camped out at.

Upon getting back, Trixie found her friend sitting by the fire reading a book. They had pulled over to rest for the night, and to get a fresh start on tomorrow. As Trixie sat down next to her friend, Starlight asked, “By the way, how’s your studying with Princess Celestia going?”

“It’s going well,” Trixie said with a shrug. “Trixie’s done so good, that Celestia ran out of things for her to do, actually.”

Starlight’s eyebrows raised. “What? Really? No more magic to learn? No more spells? You’re… joking, right?”

Trixie remained ever boastful with her friend. “Trixie has learned much with Celestia’s help, but harnessing Trixie’s magic wasn’t what we focused on.”

Starlight was becoming more and more confused. “What? If you weren’t learning magic from the princess, then what the hay were you learning from her? How to fly?”

Trixie chuckled. “Actually, if you must know, the truth is… she’s been teaching Trixie how to become a better stage performer.”

On normal circumstances, Trixie would’ve gone as far as to show Starlight Glimmer her medallion as proof. She could’ve, too, as it was right inside hidden away. She made a promise to her mentor, though, not to bring attention to it whatsoever.

After learning what Trixie and Celestia had actually been doing with one another, Starlight asked, “And you didn’t tell me about that part in your letters because…?”

Trixie made an attempt at defending herself by starting with, “You see-” However, Starlight stopped her before she could.

“Come to think of it, you even made it sound stressful in your letters, being there in Canterlot, learning all these ‘new spells’ all the time.” Starlight looked at Trixie sternly, and asked, “Just what sort of spells did you learn?”

Trixie hoofed nervously, trying to play it off. “It was actually... only a few spells, mainly a fog making spell, and uh… Trixie also learned other things like how to channel her aura, and how to better grasp things, and levitate them. And uh…”

By then, Starlight’s facial expression was anything but impressed. “Here I thought Princess Celestia would’ve at least taught you more basic stuff. I don’t know, Trixie. That just… kind of bothers me. The most powerful mare in the whole wide world takes important time out of her everyday life to… further your advancement in stage shows, and attracting a crowd? It just… doesn’t add up in my head.”

Trixie sighed in defeat, and explained further in detail, “Also, Trixie wasn’t the easiest student to work with.”

Trixie stared at the fire while Starlight asked in concern, “What do you mean?”

“It’s not like Celestia didn’t try!” Trixie’s eyebrow furrowed. “That’s what she was going for with her teachings at first, but Trixie thinks it ended up being something else. Once Celestia saw that Trixie had reached her limit, and that she was struggling greatly with getting past even the simple stuff, Her Highness decided to take another route.”

Starlight still had trouble believing this bit of news, but regardless, she also figured that she might be able to help Trixie improve on her actual, magical prowess. “In that case,” Starlight offered. “Trixie, why don’t I help you with your magic? I mean, I’m no showmare, but I could definitely help you when it comes to casting spells.”

Trixie nodded, and smiled. “You are rather impressive with your magic. Just know, Trixie can be a difficult student.”

Starlight giggled, and remarked, “Oh, I am not your teacher. I’ll just do my best at giving you some pointers whenever I can. Wouldn’t want to interfere with Her Highness’s agenda for you.”

Trixie joked, “Assuming she actually has one.” They laughed together for a second before Trixie resumed speaking. “By the way, about what Trixie said back there… You know, in front of Twilight, about you being Trixie’s best friend.”

Starlight blinked, and glanced away for a brief second. She was trying hard not to smile, but she smiled anyways. “Wh-what about it, Trixie?”

“I just wanted to say,” said the showmare. “You really are Trixie’s best friend, and she couldn’t ask for a better one.”

Starlight’s reaction was a typical one. She just kept smirking, embarrassed, and asked Trixie, “I surpass even Celestia?”

Trixie nodded confidently. “Only by a little, though… It’s getting late, by the way.”

Starlight yawned after stating, “Yeah, I noticed that, too…”

Trixie then suggested, “Why don’t we head on to bed, then? We’ve got a big day ahead of us.”

Although, Starlight didn’t actually go right away. She told trixie she’d be right behind her, but she’d still be sitting out there before the fire for a good couple more minutes. Starlight just couldn’t help herself from worrying about tomorrow’s confrontation involving the town she once lived in. Eventually, she’d go to bed, but not before staying up, and wishing she could avoid tomorrow all together.


Of course, everything would turn out just fine in the end despite things at first not going so well. As stated before, events following these would come and go, until the next time Trixie would see her mentor once more. Trixie hadn't been counting on seeing Princess Celestia again so soon. This would be during the celebration that’s held for her, Starlight, Thorax, and Discord’s honor.