• Published 29th Jul 2014
  • 4,441 Views, 385 Comments

Synch - sunnypack



Dive into a new world with Synch, a revolutionary device that interfaces with your brainwaves. Synch is taking the world by storm. Take a vacation. Find adventure. Unfortunately for one human though, he is about to have a never-ending adventure...

  • ...
25
 385
 4,441

PreviousChapters Next
60 - Cast Among the Stars

When Death Wing Sharp had approached Celestia with the intent to wipe out the necromancers, Celestia held back every fibre in her body that screamed ‘I TOLD YOU SO!’ For the sake of posterity, Celestia continued the conversation with Death Wing Sharp in a fairly civilised manner, despite the overcurrent of snide remarks, cold banter and undisguised loathing.

Death Wing Sharp regarded Celestia with the full force of her ancient personality.

“Celestia, dear”, she began, teeth baring themselves in a predator’s grin. “It has been a long time.”

Celestia didn’t bat an eye, instead keeping her stoic façade neutral and regal.

“It’s been so long... I have thought you were not among the living, as it were”, Celestia replied casually, sipping at cold tea.

Sharp had an amused expression, her tail flicked in dismissal.

“Thou knowest Death cannot keep mine soul in his clutches for long”, Sharp replied, bringing a claw to her sight as she inspected a sharp, deadly talon.

Sharp shook her head, getting down to business.

“Enough pleasantries, thou assistance is required”, Sharp continued, looking up at the diarch.

Celestia frowned, but she sensed there was more to Sharp’s intentions than just proposing something so absurd.

“I will need more information than that before I commit Equestrian resources to… necromancers”, she answered neutrally, putting her levitating cup of tea back onto the tray set aside.

Sharp regarded Celestia coldly.

“These necromancers are no longer the true practitioners of the arts” Sharp snarled, her tail lashing in fury. Her boiling gaze met Celestia with a fire that even froze Celestia for a moment in shock.

“Thou knowest mine principles on thine matter at hand, mine necromancers have gone astray, we must correct them…” Sharp pushed on. “Before they consume more souls.”

Celestia reared her head back in shock.

“Surely you’re not suggesting that these necromancers have been sacrificing Equestrian souls again?” she quickly replied, bringing a hoof to her mouth.

Why anypony would want to commit such atrocities again were not beyond imagination but she had not seen an exchange of souls for nearly a thousand years.

Sharp shook her head.

“Thine souls are safe, equine princess, it is souls from another world in peril”, Sharp said, her gaze looking like it would grind boulders.

Celestia didn’t understand.

“If they are not Equestrian souls, what have you to fear?” Celestia asked, in incomprehension.

Sharp’s look could have forged steel.

“Princess Celestia, you are not suggesting that one’s life is not equivalent to another”, Sharp growled, it was not a question.

Celestia nodded quickly, trying to clear the misunderstanding.

“I would defend innocents like any other, I just didn’t think necromancers would”, Celestia shot back.

Sharp let forth a short burst of flame in irritation.

“That is mine situation, is it not? Do you think it is pleasant for I to prostrate myself to thine power? Thou sayest thou art a defender of innocents and yet all that is seen is a ruler that bares no teeth. Mine time is wasted” Sharp spoke in a low hum, it echoed menacingly through the hallways as she turned around and headed for the door.

“Wait, Death Wing Sharp!” Celestia called to the aged dragoness.

Celestia paused, gathering her thoughts.

“You shall have them”, Celestia sighed, getting down from her throne to approach the dragoness. “But on the condition I accompany you.”

Sharp regarded Celestia with a little less hostility. She simply nodded and strode towards the door.

“Outside for thee I shall wait one hour, bring enough to exterminate a rat’s nest”, she finished exiting into the courtyard and flaring her impressive wingspan.

-----

Against a ferocious black dragon and the implacable solar diarch of Equestria, the necromancer guild that hung to the fringes could only hold watch in horror as they were decimated. Death Wing Sharp knew of all the hiding places and like an overzealous pest controller she moved from camp to camp, exterminating as many necromancers as she could before Celestia’s guard could reach them and take the remaining into custody.

Maellorn and remaining three necromancers that devotedly followed him had not been present during the extermination. Sharp was disappointed, but ultimately satisfied with her accomplishments. The main necromancer’s hideout was destroyed and the framework required in order to bridge the gap between worlds lay in their grasp. No longer would any souls be at stake.

Sharp knew Maellorn had no longer any interest in necromancy. His actions spoke to his only purpose, raising his late lover from beyond. He had succeeded but his task was yet to be completed. The null being threatened all of magic in Equestria and perhaps beyond and Maellorn would not tolerate its presence.

Unfortunately, the most skilled of unicorns and spell weavers had gone with Maellorn, magically erasing their tracks. All that was left was research material that Sharp left to Celestia to either lock away or destroy.

Sharp was saddened that the necromancer arts had ended in this way. Almost a thousand years worth of research and preparation for the good it could bring was laid to waste by Maellorn’s foolish, foolish actions.

Sharp could only watch as the guild she had so painstakingly built an age ago, was torn asunder by her own claws. Death would be too good an option for Maellorn but Sharp would keep her word to Celestia and kill mercifully if the time came. Celestia preferred no deaths at all but the judgement of the ancient black dragoness was hard to stay. Her mind had been made the second she stepped into Celestia’s court. All members within her reach would die for the sovereign crime they committed.

Though Celestia felt sickened by what the black dragoness had wrought, she had not missed the tears that had been shed from her eyes.

For who knew the true extent of the legacy that Sharp had wrought, and what pains had tolled on the weary, ancient soul?

Author's Note:

I'd like to say that out of all the characters Sharp has probably the deepest character background. In fact, I've considered making her journey a whole story in of itself. Sharp's pain could not be adequately explained in a meager chapter. Her drive for necromancy and the resurrection had been fuelled by deep motivations not accurately conveyed here.

Anyway, Sharp is a wonderful character I hope to write more about her in the future though her purpose here seems lost.

Next Chapter: Fluttershy gets stung by a bee. The bee dies as a result of cuteness overload. The cutie mark crusaders try their hand- I mean hoof -at selling lemonade, business is booming. Applejack is upset that apple cider sales are down.

As always, my incredibly photogenic readers, thanks for reading!

PreviousChapters Next