• Published 29th Jul 2014
  • 4,441 Views, 385 Comments

Synch - sunnypack



Dive into a new world with Synch, a revolutionary device that interfaces with your brainwaves. Synch is taking the world by storm. Take a vacation. Find adventure. Unfortunately for one human though, he is about to have a never-ending adventure...

  • ...
25
 385
 4,441

PreviousChapters Next
11 - (Can't)erlot (rev1)

Luna paced around her chambers chewing on the ends of her mane absently. She stomped to one end of her chambers and glanced up at the ceiling covered with a myriad of stars and constellation patterns, then stomped over to the other side looking out from her balcony window. She continued this pattern incessantly, deep in thought.

The double doors to her chambers opened silently with a small snick. Luna glanced up briefly before resuming her restless pacing.

After a patient minute of waiting Celestia called out to her sister.

“Lulu dear, you are going to wear down a rut in the floor”, she commented, voice filled with concern.

Luna just grunted and continued to pace.

Celestia’s eyes narrowed with suspicion.

“It’s not about the chocolate ice cream is it?” she asked, affecting a hurt tone. Her mane drooped.

Luna’s eyes widened.

“No, no, no! Tia! You know I’m not mad abo-“ Luna began, trotting up briskly to meet her sister.

“Oh ha ha, very funny Tia”, Luna pouted, as she spotted an impish grin and mischievous sparkle in Celestia’s expression.

“Oh come now Lulu, tell me what it is that is wearing you down”, she said, however her tone betrayed a note of authority that left no doubt in Luna’s mind her sister wanted answers.

“Very well. It is this thing that keeps me from its dreams”, Luna admitted, now peering out of the balcony to view the bustling city below. The weather, was beautiful and spotless as it ever was, neither reflected nor opposed her current mood.

“Have you already-“, Celestia offered.

“Yes”, Luna shot back.

“Did you remember to check-“

“Yes”

“Are you sure-“

“Yes”

Celestia huffed, rubbing her forehead with a delicate wing.

“Maybe it is-“

“No”

“Or it could be-“

“No”

“Perhaps if we try-“

“No”

Celestia stamped her hoof in a rare display of annoyance. It came down at a soft clop, which Luna found incredibly amusing. It was difficult to get her sister angry at anything and she smirked inwardly.

“Luna if you keep shooting down my ideas before they even form, how am I supposed to help you?”

“That’s because I have thought of everything, Tia, and there has never been a creature within our borders whose dreams I have not been able to enter”, Luna explained, giving her sister a cheeky grin.

Celestia sighed but before she could put in a word edgeways. Luna continued, her eyes losing a bit of the mirth and she absently started chewing her mane again.

“Don’t you see Tia, this is part of a fundamental problem! I’ve been running verification spell, after verification spell to check my work and I saw nothing wrong. I have had ten unicorns, two griffin mages, six minotaur seers, even a magically inclined pegasus and earth pony check and recheck my spells and they all said it was fine (although I’m not sure the earth pony knew what she was doing…).

“All my calculations and theory have all pointed to only one obvious conclusion”, she paused unable to resist the theatrics. Celestia rolled her eyes but couldn’t resist leaning in and wait for the big reveal.

“Magical law is failing all over Equestria, we must make preparations to fix it”, Luna declared, wings unconsciously unfurled, as she had done a thousand years before in habit.

There was a pregnant pause before Celestia burst out laughing.

“Oh Luna, I thought you had gotten it before I did this time! But so close… ohohohooo”, she chortled, wiping away tears of laughter with a hoof.

Luna glared at her sister, not amused and waited with a brooding expression as her sister recovered from her laughing fit.

Luna tossed her head, flicking some of her ethereal mane out of her eyes.

“And what, dear Tia”, she ground out. “Do you propose is the problem?”

Celestia cleared her throat and spoke with an instructive tone, which made Luna narrow her eyes and snort.

“It is quite simple, young Luna. I have already found out what is the problem”, she said confidently.

“Nothing is wrong with magic, it is something interfering with your magic, or rather your magic that is unable to do anything with it.”

Luna only looked confused so Celestia decided to start at the beginning. She gathered her thoughts and cleared her throat.

“Long ago, I commissioned our dear friend Star Swirl to find out if there was anything magic couldn’t do. He succeeded, but only in the sense of the very many achievements that have come about, as we know today.”

Luna chortled in amusement.

“Ah Star Swirl, you two were thick as thieves back then. You never saw fit to include me in your little club! Tell me Tia, what became of good old Sombra? Will we- I mean I -be expecting a little foal in the future?”

“W-what? I-I- Luna!”

Luna cackled, dancing around the snow-white princess as Celestia resisted the urge to swipe a hoof at her beloved sister.

“You know it’s not like that”, Celestia protested but a smile tugged at the corners of her mouth.

“Oh alright, do go on Tia, some of us have better things to attend to than matters of the heart…”

Celestia stuck her tongue out but continued anyway.

“Well, as I was saying, Star Swirl didn’t actually find anything that could be considered impossible for magic to achieve. There were problems of immunity, resistance and such but never anything for which magic had an upper limit. If there was a problem it was spell design, concentration, magic interference or simply not enough thaumatological power to achieve the ends.

“But excited as he was for a challenge, he eventually postulated a theory in his book, Divinations Deviations and Dissent: A Discourse on Discord within the Dark Side of Magic.”

Luna rolled her eyes, “Star Swirl always loved his thesaurus and snarky alliterations, his book would not uphold to the ‘peer groups’ that our modern ponies so love nowadays.”

Celestia smirked, seeing where this was going.

“It’s peer review, Lulu and it’s a method for rigorously and scientifically discerning proper works of magic literature. Separating the wheat from the chaff, one might say.”

Luna growled, memories flashing back to ‘rejected for use of inappropriate language’, ‘rejected for outmoded methodology’ and the worst, ‘rejected for inclusion of plagiarised work from HRH Princess Luna’.

“My- I mean -Dark Night’s works on Modern Dreamscapes and Dream Spells should have been approved! ‘Tis a veritable work of the ages!”

Celestia considered ribbing Luna a little longer but then decided for the sake of expediency to continue. If they started on Luna’s research work they would argue until her sun froze over.

“In his book, Star Swirl identified at least theoretically, that a magical null would exist. This magical null, be it an object or a being, would interact with magic in a way that we couldn't predict or expect.”

Confounded Luna replied, “But that’s impossible! How can something exist solely without magic? Would they not perish? That is like saying the Laws of Thaumodynamics wouldn't work! It would induce a catastrophe.”

Celestia dipped her head, “Be that as it may, Star Swirl also saw these problems, and after all he was the one to found many of these rules. However he solved it with a clever insight and a conjugation of the physical-planar dimensions.”

Luna’s head cleared, “Of course! The book on General Thaumativity! I must say that was one clever twist of logic.”

Luna started pacing again, as was her habit. Celestia waited for her sister to conclude the same thing she had concluded the day before.

“If that is true… then whatever is nullifying magic will eventually gain momentum and-“

“End all magic”, Celestia finished gravely.

Author's Note:

And there we go, an intense chapter on magical theory!

I really do love fleshing out stories with epic, world-building (destroying?) theories and conspiracies.

Next up could either be a chapter on our good old MC's past or present. Leaning towards the present, we want to see what's going on after all.

Yep the chapter title wasn't very punny... so I decided to keep that until I can think of something clever to say, which may take until the inevitable heat death of the universe to accomplish.

Thanks for reading everyone!

EDITED. Also 'Starswirl' is now 'Star Swirl'

PreviousChapters Next