• Published 29th Jul 2014
  • 4,440 Views, 385 Comments

Synch - sunnypack



Dive into a new world with Synch, a revolutionary device that interfaces with your brainwaves. Synch is taking the world by storm. Take a vacation. Find adventure. Unfortunately for one human though, he is about to have a never-ending adventure...

  • ...
25
 385
 4,440

PreviousChapters Next
87 - Pseudonyms, Pseudoscience, Pseudorandom Pseudo-carp, Pseudo-extinction and Other Pseudo-Related Words

There was a lot of Canterlot castle that I hadn’t seen, even being here for the prodigious length of time that I had. I gathered it was because I was busy but I mostly thought it was because I moped around in my room a lot, instead of exploring the place. Or maybe it was because this place was apparently the nexus of world-shattering bombshells to be dropped and I was a magnet for that kind of bad luck. Either way it was kind of my fault so I didn’t really blame the castle. Didn’t stop me from grumbling though.

Today, I couldn’t be mad at the castle or myself because I was absurdly pleased with the new clothes that Celestia and Luna had apparently gotten made for me. They were light, they were comfortable and it afforded me some pretty nice protection from the small drafts of winds that plagued the castle at random hours in the day. Well, if you build on a mountain, you’re going to get some wind. Pseudo saw my happy disposition and couldn’t help but be meekly swept up in my mirth.

We talked and laughed our way through inane conversation on the way to the throne room and passing nobles, servants and the like gave us strange looks that were either targeting at our rambunctious behaviour or the fact that I wore such strange clothes bearing both Celestia’s and Luna’s insignias.

One noble (at least I assumed he was one) was dressed in a bedazzling set of clothes and hilariously thought I was a new exotic servant in a new uniform.

“Excuse me, would you mind showing me the way to Canterlot gardens?” he had asked with a trace of pomposity, although he was polite about it.

I glanced at the guard behind me who saw my panicked expression and smirked before gesturing with his hoof to give directions via me.

“You first turn left down the end of the corridor-“ I glanced up “-then you go right down that side follow the-“ a puzzled look “-oh, stairs as you head your way to-“ a shrug and a pout “-past? Yep past the-“ another shrug from me “-oh right, the kitchens and straight out past there”, I haltingly replied. The noble nodded at me, though confused at my stuttering actions.

“Thank you good servant, I love the new uniforms they are bringing in, about time I might add”, he replied airily, before cantering down the hallway in what I could only describe as a strut.

When he disappeared around the corner Pseudo laughed at me, before covering her mouth with a hoof when she saw my scowl. She giggled to herself instead and I saw the barely suppressed merriment dancing in her azure eyes.

“Oh come off it you”, I mock-growled as I headed towards the guard who had been kind enough to help me in my plight.

“Thanks uhh-“

“Nicodia, Sir”, the mare replied, giving me an expression that betrayed her obvious enjoyment at my discomforting interaction with the noble.

“Thank you Nicodia. Say, that’s an interesting name you have.”

“It’s from my parents, Sir. They were explorers and found the language of the Onagers and the Ancient Neighs very appealing. Nico meaning ‘peace-keeping’ and dia meaning ‘day’.”

I was surprised at how forthcoming the mare was, all the guards I’ve met were polite but stoic and she was quite talkative and friendly.

She must have seen my surprise because she immediately added, “Oh, it does get quite boring here, I like to strike up a conversation with anypony but the selection here is… lacking”, she admitted, giving me a sidelong glance.

I decided that since I had a talkative guard here at the moment, I wanted to sate my curiosity about something that had been bugging me the moment I saw these guards.

“You know, I been here for quite some time but I never got down to asking this question…” I started, hoping she’d rise to the bait.

Nicodia nodded giving me an open stance that I took for a go ahead.

“Why do you all look the same?”

Nicodia tilted her head in confusion.

I scratched my head, trying to phrase the question in a more descriptive manner. Pseudo beat me to the punch.

“Uhh, I’ve been wondering about that too”, she spoke up softly. Nicodia started at the ninja-like skills that Pseudo exhibited.

“What? Oh, you mean the armour?” she replied, pulling off her helmet. The white-grey coat of the palace guard faded and a rich brown took its place, her mane became a light cobalt blue and her eyes a deep ruby. The pegasus stretched her wings to show me her flank-marking, which had mysteriously appeared.

It looked like a couple of mountains with a river flowing between the peaks… strange.

I gathered, over time that the flank marking of the ponies were a rough indicator of what they did, I should have asked about them earlier of course, but I thought it might be a cultural thing that they could be sensitive about because it never really came up in conversation.

“You have the strangest colours”, I commented drily, as the mare shifted under my gaze. She huffed, putting the helmet back on.

“If you ask me, you have the strangest colours and by colours I mean a lack thereof. Who has black hair and black eyes?”

“Practically everyone on my planet”, I muttered to myself, in a low voice so that the mare couldn’t hear.

Apparently it wasn’t low enough because these ponies have excellent hearing.

“Planet?” she queried, eyes going wide. She leaned forward.

“Do tell!” Nicodia yelped, startling me.

Pseudo tugged at my leg.

“I think we should be going”, she mumbled, eyeing the guard warily.

I nodded.

“As much as I enjoyed this chat, I have a meeting with the princesses to get to. Thanks for your help, I hope we meet again some time.”

Nicodia deflated at that, going back to her post in front of a door.

“Aww, I thought I could pass the time with some interesting conversation.”

The sound of galloping hooves interrupted our farewells as a servant bearing a flank mark of a scroll with wings came dashing around the corner. The tan stallion ignored me, addressing Nicodia.

“You’ve been summoned to the barracks-“ was all I caught until the rest was murmured into Nicodia’s ear in a whisper. Nicodia’s eyes widened.

“Looks like I’ll be getting a new assignment!” she told us cheerfully and started trotting away in what I assumed to be the direction of the barracks.

“See you around!” she parted, kicking up her pace to a half-canter.

“Bye”, I called back belatedly as the excited guard disappeared.

I turned to Pseudo.

“That was interesting”, I remarked, patting Pseudo on the head habitually. Don’t look at me like that. It’s a habit. Plus she’s exactly the right size for that petting.

“I wonder why I always meet the interesting ones.”

Pseudo looked pleased when I petted her. She smiled as we made our way forward to the throne room.

“I think you attract interesting ponies on purpose.”

I gave her my most scandalised look.

“I don’t do it on purpose!”

Pseudo gave me a level look.

“Okay, maybe just a little”, I admitted as she giggled.

-----

As expected on a bright, beautiful day like this, there were many petitioners lined up for Celestia’s Day Court. I admired the princess’ dedication to her subjects, but surely not every pony’s problem had to be resolved by the ancient diarch.

“There’s quite a lot of them”, Pseudo whined as the ponies in the line spotted us approaching and either glared or looked curiously at the two strange creatures.

Because to these ponies... I probably was a little strange.

A pony in the line cringed as we walked past.

Okay, maybe that was an understatement.

The guard pony at the door waved me through to the antechamber as soon as he spotted me. I was surprised to find Twilight already there. She was fiddling with my Synch.

Since the court announcer didn’t say anything as I walked in, the only thing that alerted the occupants of the throne room was the closing of the throne doors. Celestia and Luna smiled at me in welcome but Twilight didn’t seem to pay any heed as she talked about something in relation to my Synch, for the way she was gesturing to it.

She demonstrated levitating it in her grasp and I caught the end of what she was saying and Pseudo and I approached.

“-shows that this circlet isn’t subjected to the same laws as a null being but due to its complexity in structure on such a microscopic level it does have some very interesting properties in magical conduction and resistivity”, she finished with a wide smile.

“Interesting”, I commented right behind of her and I was pleasantly amused when Twilight practically leaped half a metre into the air, startled.

Her cheeks mantled in embarrassment as everyone present chortled in amusement, even Pseudo, who gave a light chuckle.

Celestia welcomed us.

“It is good to see you again, human and changeling princess Pseudo”, she smiled warmly at the both of us. Luna nodded at her side in agreement.

“It is good to see that you are well again, human”, she commented. She eyed the changeling princess.

“I trust you will not attempt anything so reckless the next time”, she warned Pseudo, giving her a disapproving glare. I stepped forward hastily.

“It wasn’t Pseudo’s fault!” I defended, as Pseudo wilted under Luna’s glare.

“Regardless”, Luna continued, striking a hoof on the stone floor menacingly. I cringed.

“She hast caused such a great deal of commotion that could have been mitigated.”

She turned her attention to Pseudo again.

“Thou knew that the human was a null being, did you not?”

Pseudo nodded weakly. I could hear Luna slipping into old words.

“That’s enoug-“ I started, but the lunar princess cut me off.

“No! Blame where blame is due. Respect where respect is earned. Consequences where responsibility falls”, she quoted, giving me a hard look that reinforced that maxim. I felt the force of her age and experience bore me down.

Her gaze softened.

“We were worried”, she croaked, surprisingly vulnerable, Twilight looked supremely uncomfortable at the exchange, shuffling her hooves. Celestia wrapped a wing around her sister in comfort.

After a few moments of silence, Luna brushed off Celestia’s wing with an appreciative nod and turned back to a cowering Pseudo.

She gestured to me, still eyeing the changeling princess.

“Thou may have forgiving thee for thine transgressions, but I have not!”

Pseudo whined piteously.

“I’m sorry!” she babbled, her wings flittering uncontrollably. “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to hurt him.”

“It’s not her fault”, I repeated, this time with an edge. Luna shrunk back a bit as I sent her an admonishing look.

“Luna, I appreciate you being so concerned for me, but everything is fine. The circumstances surrounding my injury were merely a set of coincidences and misfortune. There was no ill intent”, I reasoned, my tone going soft.

Luna sighed, her shoulders sagging.

“I’ll admit my judgement may have been a little… harsh. But I take seriously the matters of my friends!”

I grinned.

“Luna, none could ask for a better friend”, I responded, however my gaze turned harder than granite. “But when I say I forgive Pseudo, I meant it. What little fault there was, she apologised for and we have moved past that.”

Luna bowed her head in thought.

“Very well, I will defer to your decision this time. Your friend she may be… but she has yet to prove she is mine”, Luna replied, her expression dark and foreboding.

Luna gave Pseudo one last warning.

“If you ever willingly become the cause of grief for this human, I will hunt you down”, she growled, as Pseudo whimpered.

“Y-yes!” she squeaked nodding furiously. Luna looked appeased.

I was surprised when Pseudo spoke up after that.

“But it’s not because you say so”, she began, as Luna’s dark look returned. “But because I like him as a friend.”

I thought I saw a flicker of respect from Luna but it may have been my imagination. Luna nodded though and she flicked a gaze to Celestia.

Celestia’s concerned gaze turned to one of demure confidence again as she addressed us.

“Twilight Sparkle, Princess Pseudo and Our Favourite Human”, she added the last part in a joking tone.

"Only human", I muttered, exasperated. Luna and Pseudo chortled at that, Twilight just rolled her eyes at me because I interrupted the princess.

Her expression turned to one of serious gravity. She looked at each of us in turn.

“The fate of Equestria lies within your hooves and hands.

“Twilight Sparkle, please accompany these two on their quest to find Chronus and the guardians, Aion and Aether. Your wide knowledge will aid these two considerably in their quest.”

Twilight blushed at her mentor’s offhand compliment.

“Princess Pseudo of the changelings, I know you have ulterior motives that we have discussed and I’m afraid to say that we still cannot grant you your wish-“ Pseudo withered at that “-but I guarantee that we will not stop trying.”

Pseudo brightened at that and made her own comment.

“I will help”, she said quite simply. “This does affect us all.”

Celestia nodded and then addressed me.

“The null being himself, the bringer of what could be the greatest disaster that Equestria has faced in last thousand years.” She eyed me with a warm smile.

“But simultaneously a selfless saviour with the weight of two worlds weighing on his young back.”

She paused, giving me a sad look.

“Thank you”, she called to me clearly and sincerely.

I put an embarrassed hand to the nape of my neck.

“Ah, well I have to save my world, what’s one more?” I replied but Celestia shook her head firmly.

“I don’t know what life you may have lead before all this had occurred, but I know that the decision is still not an easy one. Saving a world is not something somepony would casually ask for and help, no matter how big or small, is not something casually given.

“Come back safe, dear one. That is all we ask. Even if it means failing your mission, we may always find another way. Your life is your own and singular at that.”

She brightened.

“But there will be another aid in your quest, as far as Equestria is concerned.”

She glanced at Luna who was beaming.

“This is an offer that I’m not sure you will accept, but I feel it is something that will certainly help you in your quest.”

I cocked my head, then ran a finger down my clothes.

“Does it have something to do with this?” I asked, gesturing to the belt and my back.

Luna nodded, giving me a smile.

“That garment is the uniform for a new position among our staff”, she declared, wings shifting in excitement.

“If you so choose, you can become the first ever interplanetary ambassador!”

Uhuh, wait, what?

Celestia elegantly chortled at my confused look.

“We thought that ambassador would have… shall we say a certain cache to it, does it not?”

I swallowed.

“And my duties?” I prompted.

“Oh ‘tis nothing taxing, it’s more of a research and trading position, where we gain both from the cultural and technological insight between our two worlds”, Luna replied giving me an encouraging grin.

“It’s more of an excuse to pay you on the staff”, Celestia admitted, I gaped at her.

“I don’t know what to say…”

“Perhaps ‘yes’ will do?” Luna grinned but was interrupted by a glare from her sister.

“Luna!” she chided, her hoof stamping for emphasis. “This was not something we wanted to pressure him into.”

“There’s also something you’re not saying”, I put forward, eyeing the two suspiciously. Luna scuffed a hoof.

“Ahem, well yes and no. Being an ambassador can afford you protection by various governments to travel around. However, the diplomatic status of your ‘ambassadorship’ is largely dependent on the clout your government gives you”, Luna explained uneasily.

“In other words, I don’t have any ambassador privileges because my real government has no way to influence anything on this world”, I replied, seeing the dilemma.

Luna nodded.

“But this is where my dear sister’s genius comes in”, Luna added happily. I saw Celestia blush slightly. Huh, I thought nothing in this world could get Celestia to blush. Family is still a powerful force in any universe.

“That is why we’re also simultaneously offering you temporary Equestrian citizenship until such time that your government can establish proper relations”, Celestia finished, giving me a wide grin.

This was starting to look better and better.

There was one thing though…

“Princess Celestia”, I addressed her slyly. “Would you happen to have this shirt in matte black?”

Author's Note:

Oh my the main character is getting decked out! Also, Luna is so intense.

In other news, Amber Flicker has an amazing artwork depiction of Pseudo, our favourite little changeling princess!

Pseudo pouts.

"You mean the only changeling princess", she mutters.

That's why you're the favourite!

Anyway here's the link to the picture in the story, thank you, Amber!

Amber Flicker's Art of Pseudo

Next Chapter: Salient Sapient Superfluous Sage Sombre Stupendously Saggy Socks are Slumping into Style at Ponyville! Will Rarity be able to change the course of fashion history or will the socks bring her to her knees?

As always, my finger-licking readers, thanks for reading!

PreviousChapters Next