• Published 29th Jul 2014
  • 4,441 Views, 385 Comments

Synch - sunnypack



Dive into a new world with Synch, a revolutionary device that interfaces with your brainwaves. Synch is taking the world by storm. Take a vacation. Find adventure. Unfortunately for one human though, he is about to have a never-ending adventure...

  • ...
25
 385
 4,441

PreviousChapters Next
64 - Bonus Chapter: The Window to the Soul (canon)

Luna glances uneasily at me from across the table. I could tell there was something on her mind but she didn’t look like she wanted to let on about it just now. Every single time I took a bite though she would whip her head back in such an obvious way that I decided to just roll with it and have some fun.

I pretended to not notice and go back to eating the scrumptious salad in front of me. Okay, I’m not much of a carnivore but I did partake in meat most of the time so I was beginning to crave some solid protein. I concentrated on laying the trap.

I felt Luna’s gaze on me again. There was quiet chatter between Twilight and Pinkie and Celestia seemed to be content just sitting demurely and sipping tea, whilst eating cake. The only other pony I knew with a confectionary affection greater than hers was Pinkie and she came first only by a smidge.

Just as I was about to take a bite, I whip my head around and stare down at Luna who was guiltily caught in the act of staring at me.

“Care to share what has you so interested?” I asked, waving a fork to emphasise the point.

Luna blushed but recovered fairly quickly.

“I have just noticed, but your mane and your eyes are black”, she commented, gesturing with her head to punctuate each feature.

Conversations around the table stopped and everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at me intently, as if noticing for the first time.

Twilight spoke first.

“By Celestia, you’re right!” she exclaimed, touching a hoof to my hair.

“The black hair is not uncommon among minotaurs but the eyes…” Celestia added, looking at me thoughtfully.

Pinkie looked excited.

“Does that make my special friend more special?!” she yelped, bouncing in her seat.

I moaned, wiping a tired hand across my face.

“Is this the same thing as my name? How did you not notice this as one of the first things you’ve seen?” I asked incredulously.

The ponies all around looked varying degrees of embarrassed, with Twilight the most.

“Actually it’s because mumble mumble”, Twilight said in a quiet voice, I couldn’t quite catch the ending, making me feel a twinge of annoyance.

“I’m sorry, what was that, Twilight?”

“It’s because your eyes are small”, she whimpered, shrinking back.

My eyes widened in shock.

“Wow. Not even the kids at high school were that racist”, I spluttered, genuinely shocked and more than a little indignant.

“Wow”, I repeated, not knowing what else to say.

“Well if you want to play that game, how about I start with the size of your eyes and move on to the colour of your coats?” I continued, snarkily.

Celestia held up a placating hoof.

“Now, now”, she intervened before the situation could devolve into an argument.

“I don’t think we should get so worked up about appearances, now apologise to each other”, she said sternly.

“Sorry”, mumbled Twilight. I sighed and shook my head, what was I getting worked up about?

“Yeah, sorry Twilight. Should have known ponies wouldn’t know much about racism. I mean it’s not like you would shun someone for being different or because you don’t know much about them, right?” I spoke casually.

Luna choked on her tea. Celestia had a disconcerting expression flash across her face before she could slap it back to neutral. Twilight gave me the most unnatural smile that anyone had ever seen, even if they had never seen a smile before.

“A-absolutely n-not, n-n-nothing of that s-sort”, Twilight stumbled while giving me a somehow wider smile. Any more wider and her face would split in two. This was interesting.

“Oooooh!”, Pinkie exclaimed, startling everyone. “You’re talking about Zecora, aren’t you?”

I struggled to contain my laughter, but kept a stoic expression on my face and just raised an eyebrow in Twilight’s direction.

“Hahaha, Pinkie what are talking about?” Twilight growled, sweating profusely.

“Man, Twilight you are a really bad liar”, I commented, sipping at my cup of tea.

Twilight tensed up but seeing no reaction from me, slowly uncoiled as I just sat there sipping tea.

“Okay we might not always have the best ideas but we’re good most of the time, honest!” Twilight defended, trying her best to cast ponies in a good light.

“Oh relax Twilight, it’s a bit of teasing”, I revealed waving a hand in dismissal. Twilight relaxed.

“Are black eyes and black hair really so uncommon here?” I put forward, curious.

Luna nodded.

“I believe it to be as common as a minotaur with a self-confidence issue”, Luna commented drily.

“Huh, I am unique”, I said, gazing at my hands.

Twilight rolled her eyes.

“You can say that again”, she grumbled, turning her attention back to her food.

Author's Note:

Just a bit of harmless dialogue, no plot movement here. Kind of bonus chapter in feel.

I've got a ton of work to catch up on and some rest so I'll make this short or I'll devise something later.

THIS IS CANON.

Next Chapter: On stranger tides, the mane six journey to find hidden treasure as the crew of a pirate shi- wait don't tell me this was done already? What? Comics? Far out!

As always, my meticulously pernicious readers, thanks for reading!

PreviousChapters Next