• Published 29th Jul 2014
  • 4,439 Views, 385 Comments

Synch - sunnypack



Dive into a new world with Synch, a revolutionary device that interfaces with your brainwaves. Synch is taking the world by storm. Take a vacation. Find adventure. Unfortunately for one human though, he is about to have a never-ending adventure...

  • ...
25
 385
 4,439

PreviousChapters Next
45 - Lightning: Lightning Fast

Lightning sighed. Today was a very monotonous day. It was like all days that had come before, wake up, prepare and dress, polish your armour, double check the weapons, maintenance on living quarters, breakfast and out the door you go to stand still for a few hours until you’re relived for a patrol around the city and then dismissed until the next day.

The recent allotment of special assignments, which involved arresting Solid and being trapped in a diamond dog cavern, was the most adventure that Lightning had experienced in his entire life. He was immensely grateful for the opportunity to put some of his training to the test.

Unfortunately, none of the training involved ways to break out of forced imprisonment and Lightning had been embarrassed to rely on a strange creature that seemed to have a better plan of escape than he ever would dream of. To Lightning all he saw was the creature bring in rust and some shiny powder, then literally made the bars melt using a very weak unicorn spell. It was beyond impressive.

Lightning made a resolution to never get caught in a situation like that again. He double-checked all the chariots he was in charge of and preened his wings so that there would be no air-drag. After his duties he went into training for flights and manoeuvres but he feared that all his training was beginning to amount to nothing.

Not because they weren’t showing any results, but because there was no situation that called for it. He was now grossly over trained for handling the occasional rowdy citizen or to get a message speedily on wings. It was a little lacklustre and certainly an anti-climax to his new determination.

That was until Princess Celestia herself requested for his presence some weeks after his arrival. Anxious and confused, Lightning began to nervously backtrack through all his recent actions. What would the Princess want from him? Surely he had performed his duties without fail?

Oh no, Lightning thought, dismayed. It’s about that time I dozed off for ten minutes while guarding her throne room!

Lightning panicked, trotting in place, waiting to be announced to the princess. The Guards beside the doors gave disapproving looks to the unprofessional behaviour. Lightning was beyond caring.

Let’s see them be so calm when they know their career is on the line!

Lightning was called in and was surprised to see both Solid and Iron waiting for him in addition to Princess Celestia of Equestria.

Solid beckoned him over, while he nervously bowed in front of the princess.

“You called?” he spluttered, then immediately imagined a mental face-hoof.

Stupid, stupid, stupid! Lightning thought to himself.

Princess Celestia merely smiled good-naturedly.

“Rise, Private Lightning. We have matters to discuss and I’d rather see your face than your mane”, she chuckled, laying the guard at ease.

Private looked embarrassed but dipped his head in relief.

“So this is not about the time I dozed off while guarding you?” he enquired nervously.

Celestia shot him a bemused expression.

“Oh dear me, no not at all”, she laughed, Solid and Iron who had been silent until now stifled their own laughter.

Lightning had a bright red blush that Celestia found absolutely adorable.

“Now, Lightning you are representing the guard, I thought they would teach some etiquette in training”, she teased, to be rewarded with a deeper blush.

Iron though it was time to put the stallion out of his misery.

“We’ve called you Private, because we need an escort”, he explained, locking gazes with Lightning. Lightning found that his gaze was irrevocably drawn to Iron’s eyes, like a moth caught in amber.

“We need you to protect Solid and I as we search for portal spells”, he said in a serious tone that brooked no argument. Lightning was in no mood to argue with a clearly ticked off stallion.

Celestia nodded.

“Private Lightning, I am tasking you with the mission to protect Solid and Iron as they make their way to the Bad Lands”, she ordered, lifting a hoof to point towards the direction of the barracks.

Lightning gasped.

“Isn’t that extremely dangerous? Most ponies have avoided going there and not because it has been expressly forbidden”, Lightning stuttered, eyes wide.

Celestia nodded gravely.

“You are required to retrieve a particular tome on portal spells written by Clover the Clever herself. It is imperative that this be retrieved. I do not say this lightly but the fate of Equestria lies with the four of you”, she intoned, deadly serious.

Lightning gulped.

“S-surely there are more experienced ponies to handle this… and four, your Majesty?”

Celestia inclined her head.

“The most qualified unicorns are working on this problem and Solid is the only pony available with knowledge of the null being and is not tied with politics or underlying motives. She had explicitly asked for you to escort her.

“There will also be another pony accompanying you with them on this expedition”, she added, turning the gesture to a beckoning wave.

The doors creaked open to reveal a familiar mug.

“Corporal Hardy!” Lighting exclaimed.

Hardy took a look at Lightning, then one at Solid and Iron.

“Not this horse apple again”, he muttered underneath his breath.

Author's Note:

A short chapter but absolutely important for the plot.

Nom nom nom, I'm on a roll!

Next Chapter: Something about the Cake twins are causing barely controlled weather related disasters to occur. Discord finds chaos in his coffee mug and it ruins his breakfast. Also, Princess Cadence discovers likes to be more powerful than love. Who da thunk it?

As always, my avid readers, thanks for reading!

PreviousChapters Next