• Published 29th Jul 2014
  • 4,440 Views, 385 Comments

Synch - sunnypack



Dive into a new world with Synch, a revolutionary device that interfaces with your brainwaves. Synch is taking the world by storm. Take a vacation. Find adventure. Unfortunately for one human though, he is about to have a never-ending adventure...

  • ...
25
 385
 4,440

PreviousChapters Next
41 - Iron: Iron's Iron Will (not about the minotaur)

Iron was usually a measured, careful and considerate stallion. He was a logical individual, interested in keeping files in order and finding iron clad evidence to solve cases. In fact, his cutie mark, a grey coloured folder, was a representation of that fact. He currently held a recent accreditation of a lawyer, though he had never properly practiced.

Originally his plan, which was co-opted by Solid, was to get Solid off through community service, a relatively light but common punishment in the Equestrian legal system. After all the law system was built around reform, not punishment and it was surprisingly effective.

Things had not gone to plan, to say the least. Solid had been taken out of his hooves and into the Princess’ and it was a position no longer within any mortal reach.

There had been nothing to do except to hope for the best and perhaps prepare for Solid’s return.

He had met the pernicious Solid Evidence in the Equestrian Law and Justice academy. The Academy was one of the most prestigious law schools in all of Equestria.

What confused Iron when he first saw in the law school was her lack of motivation.

Make no mistake. Solid had perfect grades, an active extracurricular schedule and to top it off real work experience in law firms. She was a rising star and Iron could only look on in awe.

But Solid had always looked alone. Though admirers, friendly colleagues and adoring professors and industry contacts surrounded her, Solid had always kept a hoof away from everypony as if to keep everypony at a professional level.

Iron had been forcibly paired together with Solid on a case study about Equestrian mandates related to theft. Initially Iron had been excited, it was a chance to work with somepony who was an expert on law. Solid however, did not take the same enthusiastic attitude. She had, quite coldly, told Iron to sit back and stay out of the way and she would gain them the maximum marks.

Perturbed, Iron had just complied without question. He sat back and let Solid finish the assignment on her own. In the end they had gotten a perfect score, all the while his friends both groaning and reiterating time and time again how lucky he was to have such a great partner.

He had been conflicted at the time. The grade had been great for sure but guilt weighed upon him. Later that afternoon, when he had received the grade, he talked to the professor about his contribution (well, lack thereof). The professor wryly replied that letting Solid do all the work would have given him a great boost in his marks, most likely he would be able to get away with it.

Iron had replied, with conviction, that he earned his marks not stole them. That kind of spunk had pulled a small smirk of approval from his professor. His professor told him to write on another case study, due in two weeks. He got an 82 for it.

When Solid had found out she had cornered him in the hallway, adamant on finding out why someone so stupid as he would exist.

Iron had calmly replied that he was studying law to become a criminal lawyer. He wanted to eventually become a prosecutor, working for the state. No crime, no matter how petty, would fit within his standard. When Solid had responded with puzzlement, he brushed past her and asked her what she wanted out of law school. He had left her standing there in the hall.

Iron had not seen Solid for a week after that and he continued law school as normal. One day, Solid approached him and told him that she had lost the motivation for law school, for it never had been hers. She had argued with her parents and left their household, seeking a new goal in life.

All her ‘friends’ had left her when she announced she was dropping out. Unsavoury remarks were made and professors tittered under their breath about stress and anxiety and conformity, as if they knew her better than she knew herself.

Though it was a decision on her part, Iron had felt partially responsible in some small way and so kept in contact with her. She spent her career studying conspiracies and fictional literature, opening up a whole new world.

Within months some would not recognise the Solid from before to one after.

Her mane was no longer brushed to a professional sheen, her eyes were no longer cold and vacant and her muzzle always sported a permanent smile from one born of contentment.

She babbled excitedly about her exploits to Iron who always listened in good humour.

So they became friends. It was a warm thing.

Now though, it seemed the crazy had caught up with Solid and Iron could no longer help her. He suffered her antics because they were harmless but now, he wasn't so sure.

Harpie didn't help either.

Harpie was an unknown author that kept publishing books related to Canterlot conspiracies. They were fictions but they were rooted in believable facts. Oddly enough, the books were detailed enough in the methods for proving and disproving the author’s many, many theories that many ponies had thought to try. Solid were one of the few that bothered to implement the more ambitious projects and often it would be those that landed her in awkward situations both publicly with other ponies and with the law.

Who was this Harpie pony? Iron had thought angrily. I bet he or she was some slacker with too much time.

-----

Twilight sneezed when she felt a chill creep down her spine.

“I think somepony is talking about me negatively”, she mused out loud, looking around but only seeing Pinkie and I.

I glanced at her sideways.

“Perhaps you wrote something that damaged someone’s sensibilities”, I offered.

Twilight shrugged in an equine-like fashion. At least I think it was a shrug.

“I don't think that’s the case, all my published works are grounded in factual evidence”, she recalled proudly.

I rolled my eyes.

“Being factually correct doesn't stop people from disliking your work”, I replied.

“How so?” Twilight responded, genuinely confused.

I sighed and put a hand to my forehead.

“Be thankful you've never heard of the Internet.”

Author's Note:

The Internet is a playground. It's got good things and bad things. It's both a good way to make friends but there will always be bullies and enemies. I amend playground to be more like primary (elementary) school playgrounds. Kids are vicious, man.

Next Chapter: A willow tree learns to whistle 'It's a Small World', forest fire ensues. Twilight learns to speak spanish and converses with Pinkie for two hours straight. Maud learns that rock pies don't exists even though rock cakes apparently do. She makes one, which was surprisingly tasty. Canterlot gets invaded by small fluffy animals.

As always my friends, loyalists and readers, thanks for reading!

PreviousChapters Next