• Published 29th Jul 2014
  • 4,441 Views, 385 Comments

Synch - sunnypack



Dive into a new world with Synch, a revolutionary device that interfaces with your brainwaves. Synch is taking the world by storm. Take a vacation. Find adventure. Unfortunately for one human though, he is about to have a never-ending adventure...

  • ...
25
 385
 4,441

PreviousChapters Next
42 - Twilight: Twilight Anaesthesia (Part 1)

Twilight had gotten into fiction when she had needed at outlet for stress. Her studies had been cropping up, her duties seemed ever expanding and the expectations of others drove her relentlessly to be better and better than before. At times, her stress was self-induced but she always felt as if others kept depending on her to have all the answers.

As most people in leadership knew, having all the answers was tough. People expected leaders to know everything about the situation. To an extent this was true but formulating a plan, stratagem or figuring out a solution required a substantial field of knowledge and as much as it pained Twilight, she could not physically know everything and so there were times when words failed her.

Embarrassingly the strange creature she had met at the Castle of the Two Sisters was one of the things she knew next to nothing about. He was an enigma wrapped in a puzzle, kept under a- you know what? -he was just confusing.

Pinkie seemed not to mind him. It absolutely destroyed her that she didn’t know his name but she kept trying to get it out of him in mysterious ways. She tried getting him to fill out forms, which only gained her very funny pseudonyms. She had tried bribing, which was accepted but not honoured. She tried threatening him, which earned her a laugh but a shake of his head. She had tried almost everything.

Twilight knew there was something that the creature held back and she was not referring to his name. Twilight suspected there was both responsibility and pain buried beneath his disarming persona. She felt as if being a friend to him was not enough and it pained her to realise that the magic of friendship seemed not be the cure for everything. The Magic of Friendship, her most powerful and connected Element, never seemed so powerless in the face of this invisible adversary.

Twilight never stopped hoping that one day she could reach out to him to let him know that they were there. In the short time that she had known him, she felt he was a good pony. He deserved a better response than he received.

Today, Twilight had resolved, would be the day she would show the best side of Canterlot to him and she would finally get to know him… his name, self and all.

Twilight had never been the best pony to talk about emotions with. Her friends have been recent, and though she had been decent, her character made it hard for ponies to get closer to the paradigm she set others. When other ponies tried making friends with Twilight, she emitted and aura of well-meaning expectations, almost like seeing a disapproving but friendly mother.

So though ponies tended to trust her judgement and follow her lead, making friends with Twilight was like making friends with an overly enthusiastic teacher. Someone you could be professional friends with, but you would always be the student and you would always be aware of the distance that accompanied being one.

Twilight liked to think that she got past this with her close friends and that the ice had well and truly thawed from the close-knit community of Ponyville. It hard to mend things outside of Ponyville, and she found that her friends in Canterlot and other towns were few and far in between.

So I became her next project. Make a foreign friend. How much more foreign could you get when you didn’t even know where they came from?

It would be exciting. The clash of culture, the exchange of information, the enlightenment of a whole new species and making friends with another that was not a pony, even her two best friends Rainbow and Fluttershy had accomplished that. Twilight also had a sneaking suspicion all her friends had but those were the only two she had solid evidence on.

Enough tangents. Twilight would make this day a day to remember.

She stepped up to my chamber doors and knocked politely.

She heard a familiar voice that bade her to come in.

The figure’s expression lit up as he considered Twilight.

“Twilight”, he exclaimed ecstatically. He gave her a stilted hug, which she gladly gave back.

“You came for me?” he continued.

Twilight nodded.

Of course not, you’re my friend! You will end up giving me your name! Twilight thought resolutely.

Out loud she said, “We wouldn’t abandon you. I still have to find out your name!”

The creature looked a little shocked, as if her sentiments meant a lot to him. What had he been through?

They exchanged a few more words before the Princess herself interrupted Twilight.

“Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie would you not mind if I speak alone?” she asked.

Twilight knew this was a conversation not for her ears so she dragged Pinkie out who was counting party supplies on her hooves.

How does that work? Twilight pondered, looking quizzically at the energetic pink mare.

Pinkie ignored Twilight, concentrating on the number of snacks that would give the optimum happiness index during party stratification across multiple house levels of an n-space complexity.

She must be thinking about how she can make our newest friend smile, she thought warmly. Now that was just oversimplifying the process. It was kind of like telling a quantum physicist that his job involved numbers and he got the solution by doing some maths. Oversimplification indeed.

Twilight thought about how best to show him around Canterlot, there were good places to be sure but some ponies might not be so accommodating for a strange creature walking among them. Maybe they could visit the Crystal Empire? She was sure that Princess Cadance and Shiny would be happy to show them around the Empire.

She paused from her thoughts, shuffling her hooves. They had been in there for a long time. Maybe it wise to check on them?

She crept up to the door laying a sensitive ear on the solid oak.

Pinkie had snuck up on Twilight and had placed her face mere centimetres from her eyes.

Twilight caught the pink and blue blur and almost shrieked in surprise.

“Pinkie!” Twilight gasped softly, partially in indignation.

“Twiiiiiiiiiilight, I think it’s a bad idea to eavesdrop on your friends”, she said softly.

Twilight frowned.

“I’m just worried about him, I’m merely checking on them both”, Twilight argued, but it lacked conviction.

Pinkie cocked her head to the side. Though she wore a smile, her expression was disturbing.

“Eavesdropping is the fastest way to lose a friend…” she began twisting her head.

“Forever…” she finished menacingly as her head rotated impossibly.

Twilight shuddered.

“Okay”, she said in a very, very small voice.

Pinkie grinned, flipping her body in the opposite direction to correct her posture.

“Okie dokie lokie!” she exclaimed, bouncing down the hallway.

Celestia called out from the room.

“Twilight, you may stop skulking around there and come in”, she beckoned, in mild amusement.

Ashamed, Twilight bowed her head as she trotted into the room.

The creature sitting opposite to Celestia cocked his eyebrow.

“I was just worried about you two, Princess. He and I have a date to keep”, she explained, a little flustered.

Celestia had an unsettling grin on her muzzle, one that didn’t sit well with Twilight.

“A date you say?” she queried innocently.

“N-n-no that’s not what I meant”, she stammered, backing away. She firmly wished for Pinkie to be in here with her now.

“You know, it might be great to get to know each other… better…” the creature drawled, a smirk adorning his features. Twilight’s eyes showed a little too much white.

Celestia nodded.

“I think it’s time to take your friendship to the next level”, the creature continued.

Twilight was on a verge of a panic attack.

Princess Celestia decided that this was enough.

“It is okay, my dearest most faithful student, perhaps if I stop misconstruing your words, you will stop trying to listen in on ours”, she said gently.

Twilight sagged in relief.

“Thank you Princess, it seemed you and… he were taking some time so I wanted to check up on you both, really”, Twilight replied earnestly.

“Next time, knock”, he offered wryly, lifting an eyebrow. Twilight found the expression hilarious.

“Oh and one more thing, you asked about my species, right?”

Twilight nodded, now curious, she shuffled forward in anticipation. It had been an answer a long time in coming and she was excited for his big reveal.

“I’m human”, he announced.

Puzzled, Twilight cocked her head.

“What’s a human?”

Author's Note:

There has been enormous amount of work going down in my area.

Thank you for being patient, I've only been able to proofread (round 2) of less than half my story.

If you would like, you can reread the earlier chapters but apart from grammar and maybe some rearranged sentences it's the same.

Next up will be Pinkie's chapter and we may or may not take a trip to the Crystal Empire!

EDIT: I lied, this'll be a two part chapter after some inspiration. Also I'm experiencing a mild case of writer's block so updates may or may not be coming in so fast, sorry!

Next Chapter: Pinkie discovers a new pie recipe and names it Pinkie Pie, wait no just Banging Banana Bonanza. Gruff finds out that gems have been devaluing and loses an investment. Small spiders have been found in Discord's toilet. Other annoyances crop up in Equestria that could only be described as mildly annoying.

As always, my epically attuned readers, thanks for reading!

PreviousChapters Next