• Published 30th Oct 2011
  • 14,814 Views, 284 Comments

A League of Their Own - Sparx



Spitfire begins to question how far the wonderbolts will take her and approaches Rainbow Dash

  • ...
17
 284
 14,814

Double sonic

The day of their show had come. They set up a small ticket booth where Spike collected tickets. The first one to arrive was Applejack. "Well howdy Spike." She said as she handed him her ticket. On her back was a wagon full of apple based food products.

"Hey Applejack! You're the first one to make it!" Spike took her ticket and placed it in a tin.

"Welp ah asked Rainbow an' Spitfire an' they agreed ta let me set up an apple stand right around here durin' the show. Hopin' ah'll have more success here than at th' gala." Applejack said as she motioned to her wagon.

"That sounds like a great idea!" Spike exclaimed with a hungry stare to the apples. "I'll have a pie please!" Spike reached for some bits before Applejack interjected.

"Tain't no need fer that Spike." Applejack pulled out an apple pie and gave it over to Spike. "It's on th' house little buddy. 'Sides ah been told that Wonderbolt fella Soarin' would be comin'! Spitfire told me he loved some Apple Family pie!"

"Wait, a celebrity is coming? No kidding?" Spike seemed mildly impressed as he graciously accepted Applejack's pastry.

"Eyup! Oh, an' Rarity said she'll make it after all. Finished up her order quicker'n she thought." Applejack walked off and listened for the expected reaction.

"Rarity's coming!? Right! I'll stay here all night if I have to!" Spike screamed in determination. Applejack laughed at the sound of the dragon's joy. He was predictable when it came to Rarity, but it was pretty cute.

Not even ten minutes after setting up shop, Applejack was approached by a familiar pegasus pony. "Well howdy there Soarin'! Long time no see. Care for another hunka mah granny's famous apple pie?"

"Hay yeah!" Soarin' laid out his bits and Applejack exchanged the pie over to the pegasus. Soarin took it and set it down, looking back to Applejack. "Say uh... Do you maybe wanna hang out after the show?" He asked in an incredibly doofy voice, never really making eye contact.

Applejack didn't hesitate and picked up right where he finished. "Ah do enjoy mahself a nice night on the hill if ya'd like to meet me there Sugarcube. Ah'll bring us some more a mah family's special recipies." Applejack winked at Soarin' with her large green eyes and batted her eyelashes.

Soarin' blushed bright red and scratched hard at his mane. "Uh... Yeah!" His wings began to flutter and push upwards as he walked away with a funny grin on his face and pie tray in his mouth.

A few yards away from the performance area, Rainbow Dash and Spitfire got ready for their show. Rainbow Dash began stretching in front of Spitfire and heard the sound of wings stiffening up. She looked behind her and saw Spitfire's wings fully erect. Dash laughed. "Whoa there Spitfire, we're not here for that kinda show."

"Well no reason we can't be." Spitfire winked and they giggled. "So, we know what we're gonna do?"

"Typical razzle dazzle tricks to grab their attention then throw away everything they know about flying with a double sonic fire and lights show!" Rainbow Dash stood tall and strong, looking like she could fly to Celestia's grand sun and back without a stop. "Hay, we'll be even better than the Wonderbolts! Sonic Dashfire will be a hit!" For a moment, memories of the Shadowbolts flashed in Rainbow's mind and she wondered what had happened to them. For a team that claimed to be better than the Wonderbolts, she hadn't seen much of them beyond that one time. That wasn't going to happen to her and Spitfire. The two of them were going directly to the top as the fastest pegasi in Equestria, perhaps history.

"There's my Dashie, always ready to go." Spitfire chuckled and began stretching too. They looked over to the stands and saw Soarin' and Scootaloo in the stands and Applejack near the ticket booth all set up for business. The two couldn't help but notice Applejack and Soarin' kept staring at each other as they giggled to themselves. "Looks like we're not the only lovebirds in town eh Dash?"

"For some reason I knew AJ would like him!" Rainbow Dash snickered. As more ponies showed up, Dash could feel the adrenaline building in her. They even noticed as the other elements showed up. Spike almost left his post to follow Rarity. A number of their other good friends like Lyra and Bon Bon walked in, Berry Punch came stumbling as usual. Eventually Apple Bloom showed up and started helping Applejack work the stand. AJ was attracting quite a few customers and even ran out of a few products. Soarin' often coming back and taking his time before picking out another pastry to snack on. Eventually though, they had to stop selling any sort of drink to Berry Punch for fear she was about to vomit. Eventually a white unicorn with blue mane and purple sunglasses walked through and suddenly Rainbow Dash got an idea. She flew over to the unicorn and talked to her for a while, giving her a refund for her ticket and exchanging happy nods. The unicorn left as Rainbow Dash explained the situation to Spike before flying back to Spitfire. "Well this should make things about-"

"Twenty percent cooler?" Spitfire chuckled. "That was DJ PON-3 wasn't it? Also known as Vinyl Scratch?"

"Yeah! I asked her if she would do an impromptu DJ job for us and gave her about the sound I'm looking for. She just went off to get her turntables real quick."

Soon the ponies looked to the sky and it was time. Scratch had shown up and had set out her turntables ready to go. The crowd was practically filled and some ponies had to sit on the ground in front of the bleachers. Spike took the center of the field and held a microphone that Scratch had brought along with her. He broadcast his voice to the whole crowd. "Fillys and gentlecolts! Welcome to the very first show as performed by Sonic Dashfire!" The crowd went wild with cheers and the sound of hooves clapping together. "The fastest fliers in all of Equestria, Rainbow Dash and Spitfire are here for your entertainment everypony! Let's see you get WILD!" As soon as he said that, the screams lifted to a loud roar as Rainbow Dash and Spitfire came flying out into the field.

As practiced, the two pegasi pulled off tricks that would've made even the most dexterous of pegasus ponies jealous. They did flips and loops and spins and dips and swoops. The audience gave various oohs and ahs at most of the basic tricks, but some of them caused the audience to jump up cheering at the top of their lungs. After a few minutes of the simple stuff, Dash and Spitfire climbed out of the audience's view. Before diving, the two took advantage of their privacy and exchanged a small peck on their lips. They descended at a rapid pace and hit their explosions almost simultaneously, filling the sky with flame and light as the two dodged the ground mere moments from impact. The audience was stricken with awe and couldn't look away as flames and rainbows mixed together in a dazzling combination. The two made more patterns and designs with their trails than before. One of the new tricks they'd worked on involved Dash slowing down and blasting through the barrier multiple times to set up a course of rings for Spitfire to go through. Lucky for them, Scratch caught on and timed the music up just right, making the show that much more amazing to watch. Everypony, even Soarin' who worked with risky and impressive tricks all the time, was deeply impressed by the finesse, charm, beauty and skill behind the show. The two ponies kept it going for about half an hour before they tired out and decided to show off their final trick. Rainbow Dash quickly gathered a cluster of clouds to the center of their workspace as Spitfire flew through them. Spinning around the clouds, Dash captured the fire trail inside of them. From below Spitfire whirled up a tornado, reaching up to the cloud before letting go in a fiery crackle. The cloud spun in the tornado, shooting off a crown of fire until Rainbow Dash flew through the cloud and out the bottom of the tornado, breaking it upon exiting and arcing back up to meet with Spitfire in the center of a heart that they made from their trail, just like the first time Spitfire managed a flameboom. The audience was manic with cheers and screams as Spike thanked them all for coming out to see the show. Rainbow And Spitfire bowed from up high, scanning the crowd for the happy faces of their friends.

Rainbow Dash couldn't be happier to see every one of her friends had made it to the show. She and Spitfire landed and met with their new fans. Spitfire refused to give out autographs for the time being. She was sick of signing. Dash on the other hand loved the attention and took every request given to her. Scootaloo walked away happily that night with Rainbow's name on her flank. When most of the crowd had cleared and Spike had headed home with Twilight Sparkle, Applejack and Soarin' approached the duo.

"That there was some pretty fancy flyin'! Ain't never seen nothin' like it!" Applejack smiled and shook hooves with the two of them. "Hay, ah oughta thank ya! Ah made quite the sales tonight! If'n ya'll ever need me again ah'll be more'n happy to help. We raised quite a good amounta money fer th' farm!"

"Glad to hear it AJ!" Rainbow Dash said proudly.

"That was AWESOME! Spitfire, you never told me you could fly like that!" Soarin' exclaimed. he couldn't seem to make gestures large enough for how blown away he was.

"Well I never knew I could Soarin'. Doing the same tricks day in and day out kinda held me back." Spitfire chuckled in her usual way. "More importantly, what is going on with you two?" She smiled slyly and was joined in by Rainbow as they eyed the couple out.

All that Soarin' could manage out was a long 'uh' which left Applejack to explain. "We're gonna meet up at the hill you two spent the night at an'... get ta know one another." She winked and caused the other two to giggle as Soarin' just stood there with a confused look. "In fact, let's head out now. Sooner the better lover boy, come along now!" Applejack waved her hoof in the direction of her cart. After Soarin' shook off his confused daze, he followed Applejack like a loyal dog and they headed off to Sweet Apple Acres.

After thanking Scratch again, it seemed like everypony had cleared out. The two turned and started walking towards home when from behind them Rainbow Dash heard a voice that made her heart stop almost completely. "Hey Dash." The cold tone echoed in Dash's brain as she turned around with an angry glare.

"Gilda..."