• Published 30th Oct 2011
  • 14,806 Views, 284 Comments

A League of Their Own - Sparx



Spitfire begins to question how far the wonderbolts will take her and approaches Rainbow Dash

  • ...
17
 284
 14,806

At the end of the rainbow

The night had come for their big performance, Sonic Dashfire was going to make their first appearance in Canterlot, in front of Celestia and Luna. They took the night beforehand to celebrate with one of Pinkie Pie's parties, retiring to a party of their own back home. As they rested next to one another, Rainbow Dash stared into Spitfire's big amber eyes and couldn't help but smile. "Hey Spitfire?" The yellow pegasus gave a small 'hmm?' in response. "Since that night on the hill, I've had... the most amazing time of my life. You make me proud to be in love with you. That might not exactly... mean much. I mean, I'm a pretty proud pony... but I mean it. You make it seem almost... more natural to like mares than stallions."

Spitfire looked into those big pink pools and felt her lips curl upward. "Dashie." She caressed the blue pony's cheek with a hoof and gave her a kiss. "This is natural... for us. Love knows no bounds. It doesn't matter if you like stallions or mares. The fluttery feeling in your chest or the jump in your stomach, that's how you know." She rubbed her nose slowly agains that of Rainbow. "I-"

"I love you Spitfire." Dash got to it before Spitfire could even get her second syllable out. "You make my heart fly faster than I ever could, you clear the clouds of doubt in my mind. Spitfire, I'm not that poetic a pony, but I'm saying what I feel. You're amazing."

Dash's words warmed Spitfire's heart and she almost began to cry in joy. "I love you too Rainbow Dash." The two ponies hugged and exchanged a kiss. Spitfire sighed in content. "All the fame, bits and glory in Equestria could never have been enough for me if I never got to be with you Dashie. I know because I pretty much had that, and it was boring, but with you, it's enjoyable again. I've become even better as a flier since I've been with you. I'm flying for me again, I've broken down barriers I never thought I could get through before you helped me." She nuzzled up close to the cyan pegasus. "You risked yourself to take care of me when Gilda started harassing us, you taught me how to pull of a sonic flameboom in a matter of days. Rainbow Dash... I may have been your hero, but you've done a lot more for me."

Rainbow Dash felt a tear in her eye as she pulled her other closer. "By Luna's moon and Celestia's sun, this never even happened in my dreams. It's too..." Dash let out a heavy breath of joy "perfect." She closed her pink eyes and mashed her lips tight against Spitfire's. The two kissed deeply and held one another closely as they let the night drag on, falling asleep in one another's arms to rest up for the coming day.

When Celestia brought her sun into the sky that morning the pegasi awoke and nodded to one another with their shared knowledge of what came next.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The duo waited until it was time for them to go out from inside of the top of one of the many towers of the royal castle. Rainbow Dash walked back and forth nervously on the stone floor as the time ticked onward. "I've never felt so nervousbefore! I haven't performed in Canterlot, hay I choked in the Young Fliers Competition!" She began to hyperventilate.

"Whoa, calm down there blue. You'll do fine. We've practiced until out wings wanted to fall off." Spitfire walked over and gave Rainbow Dash a reassuring pat on the back.

"I think I'd have an easier time taking down another god of chaos." Rainbow Dash calmed down with the sensation of Spitfire's touch. "But I couldn't be happier anywhere else but with you." The two faced one another and pressed their foreheads together, having their noses meet as well. They looked into one another's eyes and smiled lovingly.

"You guys are on in ten minutes. Are you ready to go?" Spike was standing at the door, keeping it open just a crack as he asked.

Without looking up to address him, they confirmed that they were ready and he walked out, bringing the door to a close. "This is it Dashie. Our success begins now."

"And mine began when I confessed my feelings for you. It's been a fantastic ride up to this point, and it only gets better from here." Rainbow Dash closed her eyes and placed their lips together. Spitfire returned the gesture, opening her mouth. She was returned with the feeling of Dash's warm tongue on top of hers. Both pairs of wings reached toward the ceiling as their kiss went on. Rainbow Dash began to push into it as spitfire submitted and placed her back on the stone ground, her wings sprawled. The yellow pegasus brought her front legs around Dash's neck as the two ponies felt emotion swirl through them. Rainbow Dash brought her head up and broke the kiss, staring down at her beloved. "We'll pick this up later Hot Lips, but for now..." She licked Spitfire's nose affectionately "we have a show to do."

Spitfire gave her usual chuckle, but this one was a bit more feminine. She stroked her partner's rainbow mane with a glimmer in her eye and a sparkle in her smile. "I'll hold you to that Dashie. I was quite enjoying myself." Spitfire gave a little wink to her blue partner and stole another quick kiss. "Shall we?"

The two walked to the top of the tower where they looked down from on high. Their audience was much larger than expected. There were ponies everywhere, all cheering for the two pegasi. It was intimidating. "Everypony in Canterlot must be here to see this. It's ridiculous!" Rainbow Dash stared with her jaw open in awe. Unicorns, earth ponies, pegasi, and even the two alicorns in existence were watching them. Celestia and Luna sat from their own personal balcony above the other ponies. Dash gave a hard gulp at the sight of royalty. As she pictured herself flying through the air, she thought of all the mistakes she could possibly make and began to shake. 'I'm gonna humiliate myself in front of the princesses!' She started to feel her wings loose feeling and her muscles turn to goo. She couldn't do this today, maybe they would understand, she'd just tell one of the guards that they'd come again another day. She nodded and turned her head to Spitfire to tell her the situation. Spitfire wasn't nervous at all. Dash only saw the calm collected pony she had fallen in love with. The strong golden pegasus she called hero, and now, lover. Spitfire turned her head towards Dash as well and smiled reassuringly, nodding in a way that seemed to echo 'I'm with you.' Rainbow Dash's strength burst back into her as she nodded back. She was with Spitfire, the pony she loved. She would be perfect, no, they'd be perfect.

The two spread their wings and leaped into the air. They descended at a rapid pace before pulling up and flying over the audience causing them to squeal in delight. There was no room for normal tricks in this show, they were performing in front of the most important ponies in Equestria. Their best non-sonic tricks were enough to make the attending Wonderbolts gasp in amazement. Hairpin turns were pulled off from what the audience perceived to be as simple as walking. The two ponies would fly full speed at one another, missing collision by mere centimeters. Spitfire had performed in front of royalty and large crowds before, but this... was different. She could feel the adrenaline again, how it used to be so long ago. It felt amazing as she felt the energy pumping thick through her veins, performing with Dash also gave her something new, a feeling of joy and pride and even honor to fly with someone as great as Rainbow Dash. Her heart threatened to pop out and fly alongside the pegasi. She regained the thrill of flight once again.

The two ponies met up in midair as they ascended higher and higher, holding one another in a loving embrace. After they passed the clouds they met lips and parted, falling to the ground and building up speed. Simultaneously, they met their barriers and with renewed vigor, busted their way through easily with a thunderous boom that shook the very land below them.They performed flawlessly, trick after trick after trick. Where their normal shows would last only about a half hour before the strain of going supersonic would tire them out, but with the adrenaline and energy that they fed one another, they were able to go a whole hour before they tired out. Once again they finished off their show with the signature heart design, meeting up in the center. The audience was screaming at the top of their lungs by the end of the show. They landed down next to Scratch and offered her to join in on their bow.

Spike stepped out onto the stage with them and announced that the show was over, the crowd roaring with applause and cheers. "That's it everypony! Have a safe travel home, and don't forget to come see Sonic Dashfire again!" Spike grinned as everypony gave one last round of applause and walked or flew off towards home, still talking to one another about the spectacle they just watched. Then came the fans for their autographs. There must've been hundreds of them! The two had autograph signings before but not with this many ponies. After the crowd cleared and Twilight reclaimed Spike, they saw someone approaching that made them tense up.

"I thought I told you to leave Gilda! Didn't you get banished?" Rainbow Dash narrowed her gaze and dug at the floor of the stage, ready to charge if need be.

"I'm not allowed back in Ponyville Dash. Besides..." Gilda's tone wasn't as rude or angry as it usually was, she actually sounded... kind of sad. "Look... Dash. I... I know that I've been... a real bitch the last few times you've seen me, and I can admit that. It... just took me a few kicks to the head to realize that." The griffon rubbed at her arm as she looked at her feet in shame. "I've been thinking really hard as to why I've been acting that way. I don't... normally do this... stuff."

Rainbow Dash looked confused as her old friend went on. "I'll say. You're usually more action than thought."

"I've had a bit of help..." From behind Gilda, two ponies, slightly larger than most, stood next to her. The princesses of Equestria smiled at Rainbow Dash and Spitfire. The pegasi looked up at the royalty in awe, giving a bow.

"That was a remarkable show my little ponies. Truly you are the fastest fliers in Equestria, if not the best of all!" Celestia said in praise. Dash and Spitfire looked up with a smile. The Celestia of Equestria was calling them the best fliers she knew.

"Thou see, when thou sent your princesses thy letter, we requested the attendance of one Gilda to our presence so that we might talk with her." Luna had grown much better at controlling her volume since last Nightmare Night.

"We kept her away from Ponyville to keep her out of your minds while we spent time with her ourselves. Together my sister and I taught Gilda the magic of friendship from Twilight's letters." Celestia spread a wing across Gilda's back.

"It took a while, but I realized that I was doing things all the wrong way." Dash had never seen Gilda act this way. Even her old friend was much more collected than this. This Gilda had a genuinely hurt expression behind her eyes, she looked like she could break down crying at any moment. "I never... exactly... got over leaving you Dash. I was jealous... of Pinkie, of Spitty, er, Spitfire... And I was jealous that you were doing perfectly fine without me too." Gilda's pauses became longer as she started to hyperventilate slightly. "Instead of just talking about it I let my anger take over like usual and got possessive. I was selfish and tried to push your friends away from you because it meant you were getting close to others." Gilda's eyes began to water as she brought a talon brush away the tears. "I screamed at Fluttershy, I was a complete ass to Pinkie Pie, I worked to scare Spitfire... And then I physically hurt you." The few tears from Gilda's eyes became a full sob as tears streamed down her feathers.

The pegasi lowered their guard but remained in silence, Scratch walked up next to them to observe as well. "This one wishes to apologize for her actions, and waits to be forgiven by thee." Luna announced. "And, as your princess... we would very much recommend forgiving. When holding resentment towards one for a long period of time, one loses sight of things. We were able to identify with this one to that point." Luna thought of her time as Nightmare Moon and frowned, looking at the bawling griffon.

"I'm sorry Dash... I'm so sorry. I didn't want to hurt you." Gilda sniffled and let out a helpless and pathetic whimper. "I should've been happy that you found someone to make you happy, but I only got angrier! I'm sorry." Celestia came closer to the griffon, still holding her under her wing.

Rainbow Dash stayed silent, almost to the point it was scary. Her mane was covering her eyes and she wore an angry frown. "You scared Spitfire and scratched my face up. You make Fluttershy cry and try to hurt Pinkie Pie." Rainbow Dash looked up and showed her eyes. "I'm not as forgiving as most ponies, you know this Gilda." Rainbow Dash glowered as she stepped towards the object of her frustration. She stopped just before they could meet beak to nose. "I will forgive you... but I won't be talking to you anytime soon. I'll need to blow off my anger in my own time, and I can't see you until I'm done and ready to talk, but I will be able to forgive you." Rainbow Dash looked hard at Gilda and the griffon nodded in understanding.

"We will keep Gilda with us for the time being." Celestia smiled. "We will share Twilight's research with her in hopes that she can find the magic of friendship once again, and hopefully earn your trust back Rainbow Dash." Rainbow nodded. Celestia looked over to Spitfire, who was smiling proudly at the blue pegasus. "As for you two, I think you've found an even greater magic in your bond. If I understand correctly you're not only partners, but in love as well. So, Could you report your findings on the subject to me?"

"I'll take care of this one Dashie." Spitfire stepped up next to Rainbow. "Your Highness, love... is one of the most precious and amazing things on this grand world of yours. It can come from anypony anywhere, even if you're not a pony." Spitfire looked to Gilda, who had calmed down and was wiping away her tears. "Love can make us all do mad things, whether pulling one another closer, or in more unfortunate cases, tearing each other apart. Gender and race don't matter in love, because we all feel it in our own way. It's a funny thing love. You may love somepony and be completely unsure if they even know you exist, but you could end up being their hero all along as they have been yours."

Rainbow Dash smiled and placed a wing over Spitfire in pride. "Excellent Spitfire." Celestia smiled brightly and Luna in turn. "I wish the best for you two ponies, and I look forward to seeing more shows by you two." The white alicorn turned her attention to her sister. "We'll be heading home now. Gilda, we'll be waiting for you when you return." The griffon nodded, having regained control of herself. The sisters flew back to their castle to relax.

Gilda walked off, still quite somber and lost in thought. "Yo, wait up!" Scratch walked off after her. "Gilda was it? Ain't never seen a griffon before." The unicorn pushed her shades above her eyes revealing the red gems. "The name's Vinyl Scratch, and it's a pleasure to meet ya." Gilda and Scratch walked off together with Scratch doing a lot of the talking, Gilda answering a question every now and again.

Spitfire chuckled in her usual manner and walked down the stairs with Rainbow following. Everything was wrapping up perfectly and the two ponies couldn't be happier. At least, that was their thought before they heard a squeal coming from Applejack's stand. They ran over as fast as they could manage on land. "Applejack, are you okay?"

The country pony's eyes started to water. "No you two. Ah ain't okay..." She threw her hat of and revealed a large smile. "AH'M FANTASTIC!" The pegasi looked at her stand. There was no food, only a cash box overflowing with bits.

"That's amazing Applejack! I guess you had a really hungry crowd tonight." Spitfire was rather impressed at how well the sale turned out.

"Huh? Oh, right. That too. But ah was refferin' ta that!" The orange earth pony pointed to the sky and the other two looked up. They felt their lips curl up almost instantaneously at the image. Spelled with clouds in the sky, was a message left by Soarin'. Applejack, I love you! Applejack herself was almost in tears of joy. "Ah love ya too Sugarcube." A few moments later, Soarin' landed right next to her and the two embraced, pressing their lips together.

It warmed Spitfire and Rainbow Dash's hearts to see them like that. "Hey Dashie. Let's head home, give these two some space huh? Besides, let's show them how real ponies have fun!"

"Don't have to tell me twice Spitfire!" The two ponies flew home, which they had moved above the hill where they had their first kiss, where they were always available should anypony need them. Except certain times. On those times, you'd always see a do not disturb sign on the front door, just hanging there, much like it is right now.

END~<3