• Published 30th Oct 2011
  • 14,814 Views, 284 Comments

A League of Their Own - Sparx



Spitfire begins to question how far the wonderbolts will take her and approaches Rainbow Dash

  • ...
17
 284
 14,814

BONUS: Of chickens and dreams

Spitfire and Rainbow Dash stood in front of the slab of stone, heads hanging in respect. It had been ten years since they had formed Sonic Dashfire, and they had ascended to a legendary status. Every year since then, they came to the graveyard to pay their respects to the pony who lied buried under the soil before their hooves. As they stood there in their silence an orange pegasus approached with violet mane, carrying a bouquet of roses in her teeth. On her flank was the image of a pony dancing in front of a lightning bolt. Dash and Spitfire nodded to her as she placed the roses in front of the gravestone. It read, Here lies Fyre Flye of Cloudsdale taken ill by the Thgirypoc virus. We will never forget you old friend.

Rainbow Dash took a breath before looking to the orange pegasus and smiling. "Thanks for coming Scootaloo. It means a lot."

Scootaloo smiled back and nodded. "That's what partners do." The orange pegasus was no longer a filly, she was a full grown, beautiful mare.

Spitfire nodded in return. "That it is." She looked to her wife and admired the strength she still had in her mother's resting place. She could still smile in such a sad place. In the ten years the two of them had lived together, they never once stopped admiring one another for any reason. The years had been very kind to the two of them, as their bodies hardly seemed to have aged at all. If anything their appearance had only become more attractive through the years, simply staring at each other for too long would cause them to start blushing. "Are you ready to go Dashie?"

The rainbow maned pegasus nodded to her spouse before turning back to the headstone. "I'll see you again mom. I hope you enjoy the roses, Applejack has been growing them special for occasions like these." Rainbow Dash grinned wide before turning to a half smile. "I wish you could've met Spitfire. I just know you'd love her." Rainbow looked back to the yellow pegasus. "I sure as hay do." Spitfire felt her heart glow in her lover's gaze. "I just wanted to say... I love you mom, and thank you... for everything. Even if you weren't around to see it all happen, I know you'd be happy. "

Scootaloo's face contorted as tears welled up in her eyes. The other two looked back at her and chuckled a little. "What?" Scootaloo asked. She let go and just started bawling. "It's beautiful!" The orange pegasus wiped at her eyes to brush away the tears. It was a little pathetic, but understandable. Dash's words had moved her to crying. She'd never thought her hero's past story would be so sad.

"It's alright Scoot. Look see? Dash is fine." Spitfire walked over to their new partner and gently patted her on the back. "She's not upset, so you don't have to be." The yellow pony tried to comfort her friend as Scootaloo sniffed harder, biting her lip and looking back at Spitfire with big red puffy eyes and nose dribbling. The orange pony nodded with her face dripping, it was kind of hilarious and adorable in a weird way. "Come on partner, let's head over to practice."

Scootaloo had grown to be a very strong flier over the years and was recruited into her promised position in Sonic Dashfire not only a month ago. She wasn't the fastest out of the three and she was never able to pull off a sonic rainboom of her own, though she was able to last much longer than the other two in flight, having much more stamina. She was also known for having much more grace and elegance in her moves. Her cutie mark appeared when she had discovered her talent for choreography and grace when performing another show for the talent show with her friends Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. They had decided to do the same as they had done the year before but switched their roles around. Nowadays Sweetie Belle had a singing career where her sister Rarity designed all her outfits for her shows, and Apple Bloom Worked with Rarity as well as her assistant in design.

Since joining Sonic Dashfire, Scootaloo became their main choreographer and ponies have enjoyed the shows even more. She still remembered when they approached her for her audition and she passed with flying colors. She'd never been happier since she had earned her cutie mark. She was living the life she'd always wanted to, her dream, alongside her two biggest heroes. The two of them told her about how they were the same and couldn't believe it when they confessed their love and admiration for each other. Scootaloo couldn't help but feel a bond with them from the get go, like she was their sister. No longer was she Scootaloo the chicken, she was Scootaloo of Sonic Dashfire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a long hard day of practice, Rainbow Dash and Spitfire headed back to their home, saying hello to Applejack and Soarin' who were sitting close together at the top of the hill. Once inside, they gigled and Dash leapt onto Spitfire, kissing her deeply. "You still got any energy left in you?" Dash smiled and spoke with a growl.

"Frisky tonight eh Dashie?" Spitfire chuckled and returned the gesture, holding her wife by the back of her head. "Usually I'm the one starting us off."

"What can I say, you're rubbing off on me." Dash chuckled darkly.

"Rubbing sounds nice." Spitfire laughed. Suddenly, from the hall they heard a whirring as a green shell floated over towards them. "Hi Tank! Your mommies are home!" Spitfire smiled as the tortoise flew around them. The yellow pegasus felt Dash nibbling on her ear. "Oh, babe. You're not playing fair!" Spitfire let out a happy gasp.

"All is fair in love..." Dash let the phrase escape into a mutter and a moan as she began kissing at Spitfire's neck, the two of them losing over to hormones.

"Alright hun but not in front of Tank. Let's go back to the room." Spitfire struggled to gather control of herself, not too eager to give their pet a show. The two chuckled and walked back into their room. "Tank stay here." Spitfire told the tortoise with a giggle. "Mamas' have some business to take care of."


After their intimate hour, the two ponies lay in their bed holding one another. "Ten years later and it's still amazing!" Rainbow Dash nuzzled her lover tight.

"I'd say it's only gotten better!" Spitfire kissed Rainbow's nose. She let out a sigh of joy and thought back. "You remember when we first put Sonic Dashfire together? We were so happy. And look at where we are now. We're bigger than even the Wonderbolts ever were! And we're still doing things that we want to and having fun. Scootaloo's helped us progress even more."

"I know, we've gotten even better since then. We can go faster than sonic now!" Dash Squealed in excitement. "And our combinations have gotten even more awesome! I knew the little squirt had potential. Never knew she'd have so much stamina though."

"Probably from trying to keep up with you all the time huh?" Spitfire smiled.

"Perhaps." Rainbow Dash grinned back. "One thing's for sure, she's a great addition to our team."

"I remember you calling her a chicken as well Dashie." Spitfire giggled.

"So did you." Rainbow hoof bumped her spouse. "Besides that was Apple Bloom's doing."

"Regardless, our duo is definitely better as a trio. It was a good call on your part."

"I thought it was your idea."

"Well whoever's idea it was I'm glad we had it." Spitfire leaned over and kissed her lover. "You saw AJ and Soarin'? They had that look in their eyes! How long until we hear about it?"

Rainbow Dash smiled and got out of bed, Spitfire following her. "10...9...8...7...6..." They went out and walked to the living room, Tank coming over to rest on Rainbow Dash's back. "5...4...3..." Dash walked over to the front door. "2..." She grabbed the handle in her hoof. "1!" She opened the door and there was Soarin' reaching for the doorbell.

"Uh, hey ladies... I was just gonna tell you-"

"No worries Soarin', we know." Rainbow interrupted the stallion and turned back to Spitfire. "Ten seconds flat hun. Called it again!"

"Impressive Dashie. Shall we head down?" Spitfire walked over to Rainbow and Soarin' looked at the both of them confused, but let them fly by as they went to rest on the hill next to AJ.

"AJ!" Rainbow Squealed and hugged her friend tight, AJ returning the gesture. Tank flew off of Dash's back and stood on the grass. "How'd he do it? Don't tell me he just hid it in a pie did he?"

Applejack blushed and laughed. "He did." Spitfire chuckled. "I know my old partner way too well and it's right there on her face."

"Oh come on now you two. Don' be makin' fun o' mah new fiance'!" Applejack held up her hoof to show a gold band around her leg, the same as the ones around Dash's and Spitfire's. The three mares started squealing. "Took 'im a while, but he finally asked!"

"Ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh! I'm so happy for you two!" Rainbow Dash hugged tighter to the country pony.

"Ah know! Ah want ya both there! An' lil' Scootaloo too! If'n ya don' mind, could ya three-"

"Say no more Applejack, just tell us when the date is and we'll schedule a show for you two straight away and get Scoot working on a routine." Spitfire smiled and patted the orange earth pony on the shoulder.

About two minutes later Soarin' came down, still looking dumbfounded and blushing. "I'm guessing ya told 'em already AJ?"

Applejack walked over and gave him a kiss. "A course ah did! They're mah best friends. Mah bad, our best friends! An' they're gonna do a show at our weddin' Sweet Apple!"

"Ten years of an on and off relationship and you finally pop the question eh?" Spitfire gave her signature chuckle and bumped Soarin' on the shoulder. "About time buddy."

Soarin' blushed like mad. "Well, I... I kinda... just..."

"You don't have to explain it to us big guy." Dash giggled. "I'm happy for the two of you! And I'll gladly show up and make it twenty percent cooler!"

"If'n ya want it ta be cooler RD, ah've got a question for ya." Applejack smiled as Dash looked in curiosity. "Will ya be mah mare o' honor?"

Spitfire and Dash looked to one another and let out a girly screech. "Of course AJ! You were mine, I'll gladly be yours!"

Ten years later and it looks like things were getting better and better, everypony in Equestria had been magnificently happy. Applejack, Soarin', Spitfire and Rainbow Dash all talked over their plans for the wedding as the sun set. At the top of the world, how could things get better?

Comments ( 51 )

Well everypony, here's your bonus arc. I hope you enjoy it for what it is. Keep tuned, I'll be progressing with this one, though remember, what I consider the "official" ending is before the bonus chapter.:twilightoops:

Yayyyyyyyyyyy Thank you for this. Im glad you kept it happy. I hate it when it gets sad with bonus chapters that go "and then love X was at the gravesite of her love Y etc. etc."

I got scared at the begginig because thats what i thought was going on but was glad you kept it light yet still being heartfelt and real.

Great story Sparx. I can't wait for the next/last chapter :pinkiehappy:

This is lacking a lot of cyinicism. Makes me thing something hugely tragic is going to happen.

Then again, I've been reading A LOT of sadfics. Carry on.

All good things must end... :fluttercry:
But I do find it slightly confusing... I don't recall Fyre Flye being introduced... Though it's been a while since reading the first chapters...

WOOT you Got Tank in there LOL!!! good work. Im a little mad it took Soarin 10 years to as AJ to marry him! that is a long long time!!!

But what about Twilight? Pinkie? Fluttershy? Rarity? did they Get marred? dose spike fit in the library anymore?

:twilightblush::rainbowkiss:

VERY VERY good writing, i liked this bonus, glad i keeped this in my tracking list....you have what it takes to be a very good writer i bet :3

About the only thing that Trevor is disappoint in is how long it took! TEN YEARS for him to propose?! COME ON! That's just insulting to poor AJ! *Pouts on her behalf*

~ Magical Trevor, Minstrel of Equestria

p.s. Not that Trevor was completely filled with D'AWWWWWWWW the rest of the chapter! Nope! Not one bit... *snags AJ's hat, looking left and right swiftly, mouth drawn shut*

I loved this chapter, and the continuity nod with Tank. Good one! Did it seriously take him TEN YEARS?!?!?

:rainbowhuh: huh.. who'da thunk he'd wait that long in order to get some sweet, sweet, 'apple pie'. :rainbowwild::rainbowlaugh:

hahahahaha big mac that was awesome "apple pie" hahaha made my day. Any way fantastic chapter loved the story loved the bonus hop theres more to come.

"...How could things get better? "

oh I know, how about a little bundle of joy.:pinkiehappy:

Great bonus to a a spectacular story.

Meh im SO sorry but I dont really like the new chapter it just (in my opinion) seems out of place and it doesn't explain some of the things like, what happened to Gilda and Scratch? and with scoot in the team it doesn't feel like "Sonic DASHFIRE" :ajsleepy:

if you ever made another bonus it would be good to see it set just after the main story... :pinkiesmile:

37546
I think it was chapter 9, if the comment I had in that chapter was anything to go by.


I still love her name, Firefly was that g1 pony Dash was based off, and fyre-flyre is Faust's Deviantart page. Put them together and Fyre Flye is Dash's mother. :pinkiehappy:

And the bonus made this story 20% more adorable!

What you doing? You make more? Me like.

37542
Didn't like "to be an alicorn" then? Shame, I thought it was good...

Awesome!! You made this story 20% cooler!!!:rainbowwild:

38505 Isn't that the fic where rainbowdash turns into an alicorn? I've seen it just never bothered to read it. Seemed like it wasn't for me

What can I say?
*Starts running around in a circle manicly*
Whuhohoho¡!

#21 · Dec 3rd, 2011 · · ·

hold it just one minute, what 'bout Gilda i kinda wanna know what happened there. srsly what up, also what's up with me and Gilda, i think it's just me wishin' i had a griffin. i always thought if i could have one mythological animal i'd get: a phoenix, a hippogriff, or a griffin, respectively from most wanted to least. *sigh* i feels good to vent anyways i :heart:ed the story amazing job.

I have to say that was just a really wonderful. I've been reading a lot of sad fanfictions and this just lit up my heart. :twilightsmile:

Very extravagant story, it's a shame it can't be submitted to EqD (3000 words or more for every chapter):rainbowwild:
Very good, I'm gad it was made, heart warming, and kinda funny throughout:pinkiesmile:

Yay for Tank's appearance, yay for weddings, yay for amazing shipping, just... YAY!

. . may i ask, JUST HOW DO I START READIN' THIS ? :raritycry:

394765
It's not really about the "falling" in love part, but rather what they do with it afterwards. It's a story about the two of them creating a team and coming closer "through" their new union. I see your point, but it was a deliberate decision. :moustache:

394394
As well as they themselves have all been very downplayed in the show. Dash still isn't a Wonderbolt, almost nopony recognizes Rarity when she's brought up as a designer, and all the mane 6 reallly have for their victories are a stain glass window. You'd think they'd be bigger news than they are, but apparently not. The only one with any real recognition seems to be AJ as the town seems to recognize her as their largest helper and the one who wins them money at a competition. :applejackunsure:

i realy enjoyed this story its gotta be one of my favourates

This story's not the best out there, but I enjoyed it thoroughly.

For the record, it's hard to find quality stories, especially good shipping fics that know a good deal about character and pacing, as well as trying to break the mold a little. It's safe to say you've accomplished this with flying colors!

I was very impressed with this story, and it was definitely heartwarming and a little jawdropping at times at some of the events. The pacing was excellent, you got the characters nailed almost to a perfect T, and it was a wonderful resolution at the end of it all. You also got an excellent eye for detail. Only thing I can say is that while this was an amazing and heartwarming story, maybe it could've had a bit more conflict to add more intrigue, but otherwise it was wonderfully written.

You've definitely earned my Watch sir. :twilightsmile:

"Thgirypoc virus"

I see what you did there. :ajsmug:

A well-written story, Sparx! My only criticism is that there wasn't enough conflict in there for that extra bit of dramatic flare that I feel a story of this caliber needs. It was practically always happy, happy, happy all throughout, despite that slight bout with Gilda (but even then, that was quickly resolved two chapters afterward).

Even if that kind of mood wasn't what you were aiming for, it never hurts to include a bit of drama into your story. In fact, I feel it would add more to it, making it more believable and relatable to the reader.

Otherwise, for a feel good fic, this story does wonders. A very comforting read that I wouldn't mind going through again some time in the future.

All in all, you did a great job, Sparx! I enjoyed the ride.

'Til then, I'll see you next time, hopefully once you've updated your What Lies Beyond story.

Sorry, jumped the gun on that last comment; didn't see the bonus chapter.

As I said before: wonderful story. It was exciting, tense, and more heartwarming than anything else. Gilda's character development was a little jarring, considering she did a complete one-eighty from abusive to weepy. At least Dash's reception was believable and reasonable, although having her hair shade her eyes felt like an anime cliché.

I was disappointed in the previous chapter that Spike just faded out of the narrative despite his involvement with Sonic Dashfire and the fact that there were three whole pairings in this story. Now I'm a little closer to upset because not only would he be ten years older now, but he wasn't even mentioned at the end. But at least you included him for the most part, which is more than can be said for a lot of authors and artists.

If I sounded a little harsh, it's because I've become increasingly upset with how the fandom treats him. This is a good story, and you should be proud of it.

1250468
I don't consider it harsh at all, I see it as quite constructive. I thank you for your time and consideration. I can tell you that I too feel like the authors don't give Spike enough attention nowadays. I can tell you though that he still has a pretty big part, and will show up more in the sequel I have coming up. He'll have developed a lot more with age but will still be the same Spike at the core. :moustache:
Again, thank you for your criticism, I'll take what you've said into account in future writing! :twilightsmile:

dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_Spitfire_dayum.png Wait wait wait hang on. I wouldn't do this!
Yes you would, Spitfire.
dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_Spitfire_lazy.png Okay, so maybe I would. What's the big deal?
:rainbowdetermined2: SPITFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRE
dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_Spitfire_dayum.png AH!
Wooow...
dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_Vinyl_Scratch.png I know...
AH! When did you get here?

I just wanted to stop by and tell you this shipfic inspired me to get into the genre. All the other shipfics I've written have this to thank for existing. It was one of the first I read and lost myself in completely. You did a great job of pacing and characterization, as well as just making something that will never be canon (the whole genre of shipped characters, really) and turned it into something completely believable. Thank you.

1731838
Thank you. I'm glad I could be such an inspiration. :scootangel:

This was magnificent! I absolutely love reading DashFire stories. I really liked how you had Fyre Flye (is that how you spelled her name?--Firefly--) as Dash's mom. I always enjoy getting to learn about Rainbow's past and, even though it is mostly sad, leaning about her parents and their relationships. I do give you my best wishes with your later continuation with this. I know that you cancelled the original sequel and I hope that you can still pull something off in the future. Keep up the great writing! I look forward to reading more from you in the future.

MAKE MORE!!!! :flutterrage:

more..more...more.....more...I WANT MORE!!!!.

This is an epic story and should be continued.

3425968
Sparx's plans for future stories:
-Finish No Less Than Perfect (Estimated 2 chapters left) :raritystarry:
-2 Experimental Rainbow and Celestia fics :trollestia:
-Fantasy epic (intended to replace What Lies Beyond) :rainbowdetermined2:
-Sequel to this story :pinkiehappy: :rainbowwild: :raritywink: :twilightsmile:
-Story about Spike's rivalry with a certain creature :moustache:

3425987 I wish you luck...but pleeeasee. when you can make a sequel on this... it has so much potential

3425991
Well, depending on how fast everything that I put before it goes, it could take a while, but it definitely will be coming out at some point, as it is something I DO want to revisit and strengthen.

3425996 Well, If you want some help.. I am willing to collab with you? I would love to collab, but all of those plans got scrapped

3426001
I appreciate the offer, but I'm really not the kind of person who would set up a collab, and definitely not on this story. It's something I started, and would personally like to finish as myself. That being said, I have come across two folk willing to edit for me, so you can expect better quality to come from the next installment. :raritystarry:

4355584
None of that was the point of the story though. It was literally the first fanfic of anything I ever wrote and I wrote what I wanted to see. It was very cut and dry and I wasn't too serious about any of it, I just wanted to see this existing. It's very unsatisfying to me when I look back on it as well, but I still love it for what it's done for me, the fun I had with it and nostalgia. It's completely improvised and unedited which isn't how I do things anymore.

I'm not trying to act defensive, just saying it's very bare bones.

aCB

4356094
I don't believe I said anything negative about you, the author. I was simply expressing my disappointment that I wasn't going to get to see the things I was looking forward to. It's part of my personal vendetta to comment on every story I read, whether it's good or bad. It's my crusade against the plague of anonymous down-voters and unloved stories, and I'm fighting it by doing what I wish people would do for me. I didn't mean to offend, but if I annoyed you let me know and I won't say another word.

I'm very aware that the first time anyone writes it's never perfect, myself included. I'll take your recommendation, though, and read one of your other fics instead.

4361464
Nah, I don't take offense, I was just letting you know that I apologize for any disappointment that may have come from my inexperience at this point. I actually greatly appreciate honesty and such, especially since I plan on drawing up a sequel to this story soon. The way it was phrased may have made it seem like I was annoyed, but in truth this is why text is kind of inferior at portraying emotion in conversation, I simply wanted to let you know that though I love the story, even I don't hold it on a pedestal of high quality storytelling.

Beautiful storie, love it:heart:

Some things were you know ''Eh I wouldn't have done it like that.'' style but a good fic. Only thing I didn't like was AJxSoarin ship. I ship RarityxAJ and FluttershyxSoarin but thats your thing then I guess.

Login or register to comment