• Published 9th Apr 2012
  • 1,290 Views, 9 Comments

Remembering Granny Smith - lil-rainbow



Granny Smith passes away, and Applejack doesn't know how to cope with her depression.

  • ...
7
 9
 1,290

Remembering Granny Smith

------------------------------------
Remembering Granny Smith
//Author: lil-rainbow
------------------------------------

Twilight Sparkle lay on the cold floor of the Ponyville Library, looking at the the bookshelves. She was deep in thought. She wished she could’ve done something, something to prevent it. But she she couldn’t have done anything to stop her.

* * *

Applejack stepped out of the small white room, a forlorn look on her face. Twilight and the others looked up at her, but she shook her head and sat down.

“I’m so sorry about Granny Smith, Applejack.” Twilight whispered softly into Applejack’s ear. “There really was nothing they could do.”
“But the could have tried, instead of givin up on her like that!” She shouted, then sobbed. Twilight put her hoof around Applejack’s shoulder lightly.
“There’s nothing anyone could have done. I’m sorry.”
“We all are.” Rarity added.
“I just want to go home.” Applejack got up and trotted away with her head down.

* * *

The filly thought about how depressed Applejack was the following few days. How everything reminded her of Granny Smith. The orchard. The house. She couldn’t even go into town without looking at something and thinking about Granny Smith.

* * *

Fluttershy was the first to visit Applejack.
“Um... Applejack? Big Macintosh let me in.”
“Go... Away...” Applejack was curled up on her bed. She hadn’t moved for 3 days.
“This isn’t good for you Applejack. You need to eat. I brought you some apples...”
“I said go away!” Fluttershy backed out of Applejack’s room, leaving the apples on the floor.

Rarity visited next.
“Darling, I know you’re upset about Granny Smith, but you need to get out of the house. Get some fresh air. We could go for a walk if you like.”
“I don’t want to.”
“Darling...”
“Don’t call me that!” Applejack started crying. “Granny Smith used to called me that...”
“I’m sorry dear. I didn’t mean to upset you.” Rarity sat next to Applejack and tried to put her hoof round her shoulder, but Applejack pushed her away.
“Please, just go!”

6 days later, Applejack decided to leave the house. She struggled to walk, she was so weak from starvation and having barely moved for over a week.
“Twi... Twilight!” Applejack put all her energy into shouting her name as soon as she saw her. “Tw... Tw... Twilight!” Twilight noticed her, ran over to her and picked her up as she was collapsing.
“Oh my goodness, are you OK? I haven’t seen you since... You know what happened!”
“I’m... I’m fine. Have you got anything that I could eat?” Twilight rummaged through her bag and pulled out a daisy sandwich.
“I’ve got this... Where have you been? Are you alright?” The fillies sat on the ground. Twilight handed Applejack the sandwich and observed her as she quickly ate it.
“You sure are hungry.”
“Mmm hmm.” Applejack nodded.
“So Fluttershy was right.” Applejack looked up at Twilight. “How long has it been since you ate something?”
“Erm...”
“Please tell me. I’m so worried about you.”
“Nine days.” Applejack dropped her head down in shame.
“Applejack...” Twilight shook her head quickly, looked up at Applejack and smiled. “At least you’re eating now. Can you trot?” Applejack stood up slowly. “Great. Follow me.” Twilight started trotting, and Applejack trotted alongside her.
“Where are we going?”
“To the Café. You need a good meal.” Applejack stopped.
“I used to take Granny Smith there...”
“Applejack, please... You need to eat, it’s getting unhealthy...”
“But I don’t wanna think about Granny Smith!” Applejack turned around and started to trot back.
“Applejack! You need something to eat! Please!” Applejack ignored her and continued trotting. Twilight decided there was no persuading her, turned around and trotted the other way.

Twilight trotted through the gates of Sweet Apple Acres with a large bag on her back. She stepped up to the door and knocked.
“Applejack? It’s me, Twilight.” Applejack opened the door. “Where’s Big Macintosh? And everyone else?”
“They’ve gone to Appleloosa to tell Braeburn about...” She stopped.
“May I come in?” Applejack stepped out of the way to allow Twilight through.
“I brought you some things.” Twilight placed the bag on the floor. There was food and various other tidbits in it.
“Thanks.”
“How are you doing, on your own?”
“Erm... Good, good.” Twilight walked past her and looked into her sitting room. It was a mess.
“Applejack! What’s going on?”
“I’m sorry Twi. I can’t cope with it. I don’t know what to do!”
“Would you like to stay with me for a while?”
“No, I need to stay here. What if Granny Smith comes back?”
“She isn’t coming back. She’s gone, Applejack.”
“But she can’t go! I want her back! I need her back!”
“Applejack, She’s never going to come back! You need to understand that. I know it’s hard, but you need to get over her death.” Applejack collapsed crying. Twilight picked her up in her hooves and gave her a long hug. Both the fillie’s eyes were sealed shut.
“I know it’s hard Applejack, but she’s gone. You need to get over it and remember how happy you were when she was alive!”
“It’s those happy days I want back!”
“I’m sorry Applejack, she can’t come back.” Applejack fell asleep sobbing in Twilight’s arms.

* * *

“No matter how much I tried to help, you still couldn’t cope, could you?” Twilight spoke out loud to herself. “But I still don’t understand why you did it. I tried so hard to make you happier, to help you cope, but there... There wasn’t anything I could’ve done, was there?” Twilight sat up and went over to the table. She slumped into one of the two chairs. “I suppose I didn’t know how hard it was to get over a loved one’s death...”

* * *

Twilight trotted down the winding road to Sweet Apple Acres, a worried look on her face. The other ponies had been telling her how much worse Applejack has been getting. As the farm came into view, Twilight could see a small orange speck on top of the house. Could it be...? Twilight’s eyes widened and her pace quickened, speeding down the road.
“Applejack! Calm down!” Applejack walked towards the edge of the roof.
“Applejack! Stop and think! This isn’t what you want to do!” Applejack just noticed Twilight running towards her, paused and readied herself.
“Stop! Please! You don’t want to do this! Granny Smith wouldn’t want this!” As soon as Twilight mentioned Granny Smith, Applejack closed her eyes and stepped forwards.
“No! This is all my fault!” Twilight shouted as she fell.
“I’m so sorry!” Then...

* * *

“I don’t want to think about it!” Twilight threw the chair across the room and hid in the corner. She closed her eyes and cried. After ten minutes, she realised what she had to do. The opened her eyes, stood up and trotted out of her home. She trotted slowly up to a gravestone, her eyes filled with tears, and dropped a flower on the grave. It was where Applejack and Granny Smith lay. She trotted away, biting her lip to stop her from crying. Before she left the orchard, she turned around and said...
“Rest in peace, Applejack.”

---The End---

Comments ( 9 )

Better not be a shipfic.

There isn't much detail. It seems to be mostly dialogue. I'd suggest adding background and descriptions to make this a tad more memorable.

That's sad.
Very good story, but it needs WAY more description - you could at least double the length with adjectives and literary devices. Good work though!:ajsmug:

The comments above me are all right. I think you need more detail.
I think the ending went way too fast. More detail in there would make it a much better story. I like the story and the idea, but the execution could have been better.
Overall, good job.
P.S. I'm withholding a vote in case you edit it.

The little voice in my head tells me that there's a plothole thing. Couldn't Twi have levitated AJ to stop her from falling?

other than that, it's a good start.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll do a rewrite in the next few days.

You need a lot more detail if you want to gain the proper poignancy that you're looking for here. That being said, I see potential... but it requires a lot more fleshing out.

I've started working on it now - more description, background, detail... anything else?

430202
watch there isnt too much dialog. this isn't a play, as you can (and should) have more of the story in text, not dialog. I cant think of anything else right now.

Login or register to comment