• Published 17th Apr 2014
  • 1,054 Views, 104 Comments

My little Short Stories 2- Paradise Edition - Paradise Oasis



A new batch of short stories, brought to you by the one and only- Paradise!? Follow the accounts of this Pegasus librarian of a pony community!

  • ...
4
 104
 1,054

PreviousChapters Next
The Song of Salomare, Part Two

The Song of Salomare, Part Two

Over hill and valley, over sand dune and oasis, did the desperate Salomare travel. Pushing on endlessly, the determined mare let neither exhaustion nor hunger nor any peril of the road stand in her way. Far, far away to the distant coast did she gallop, and there at last upon the shoreline of the gulf of Maretonia, her kingdom's watery western border. The queen then did use an enchanted potion her mentor and friend had given her, granting the queen gills, and allowing her to descend to the world beneath the waves. As she slowly descended beneath the surface, sea creatures of every shape and size stared at this beautiful sight of amazement and wonder. But no marine creature moved to hinder her journey, allowing Salomare to descend deeper and deeper into the depths.

Walking along the bottom, the Saddle Arabian queen stared at the fascinating creatures spread out before her. But she could not let her amazement at the myriad of colored fish and glowing jellyfish deter her, and she soon came to the glowing lights of an underwater city. The sea ponies of the open ocean, so different and much more fish-like than their freshwater brethren, were surprised to see this land-dwelling pony entering their underwater dominions. But when they discovered the reason for her visit, wasted no time in securing her an audience before the great Leo, their beloved king.

"I am most pleased by your visit, oh great ruler of the desert." The great lord of the undersea greeted her, pleased that a land equine had come so far and through so much trouble to see him and his aquatic herd. "But what has brought you so far from home, here to my watery kingdom?"

Salomare, who had already been amazed by the sight of the Sea Ponies’ coral reef homes and glittering palace, had her breath taken away at the sight of the great monarch. A great bearded sea stallion resembling a lionfish, this blue scaled sovereign was far larger than any Saddle Arabian horse she had ever seen. As she stared at his magnificence, the desert sultana recalled the story of how the once alicorn Leo had led his followers beneath the waves ages ago, giving up their land pony forms in order to become creatures of the sea. The sight of this mighty horned form in the coral crown seemed only to confirm that fantastic fish story.

"Great king, I have come beneath the waves, to desperately implore your aid on behalf of my subjects." The mare pleaded, kneeling respectfully before the great monarch. "For our lands above the waters have become parched and dry, and my herd has no water to drink or grow our crops with."

The king nodded, absorbing what the young queen was saying to him. But Salomare wondered if he truly understood her plight. Could he even comprehend the misery and sorrow of living in such a dry and parched environment. How could she convey to him the pain of her people? How could she make an aquatic creature, one whose very existence was perpetually surrounded by the water her herd so desperately needed, understand how much the horses of Saddle Arabia were suffering?

"The day will come, Salomare, when you will sing your own beautiful song before the whole world..."

The advice of Twilight Sparkle echoed in the young queen's mind, along with the knowledge of what she had to do. And so, Salomare did burst into song, crying out across the waves in a beautiful chorus made up of only one pony. She sang of her subject's suffering, of their parched throats and dry mouths. She sang of the hunger that came with withered fields and sun-scorched crops. And her voice echoed with her herd's desperate plea for water, imploring the great pony before her to aid in brining an end to Saddle Arabia's terrible suffering.

Not before or sense has such a song echoed out beneath the waves, and the Saddle Arabians claim it is for this reason that sea ponies burst into song'; they are trying to emulate the beauty they heard coming from Salomare on the fateful day. And as the mare finished her mournful lament, even the great king of the sea and his court were moved to tears by her song- though being beneath the water, no one could have told that it were so.

"Beautiful! A simply beautiful tale of your home, o Queen of the desert!" the great king declared, clapping his fins together in respect. "Be assured, I shall do everything in my power to assuage the great suffering of yourself and your herd!"

And so, Salomare returned home. Under their queen's direction, the Saddle Arabians plowed great channels to the sea, and let the salty waters of the oceans flow into them. And lo, the mighty King Leo spread his trident out over these waters, and made them fresh for the parched horses to water their crops with, and to quench their desperate thirst. The Saddle Arabians bowed to both their queen and their aquatic kindred beneath the waves, vowing to ever remember the great deeds these equines had done in their favor.

And that, my little ponies, is how a simple song of the heart, inspired by the friendship of two mares, did save an entire herd from death. Salomare may be more remembered for her great deeds and romances from later in her life, and King Leo more know for his wise and just rule over the oceangoing sea ponies over many, many centuries. But this first simple song of friendship, this small act of kindness towards a herd in need, is to me among their truly memorable acts. Salomare's song is one that I truly hope will echo in the hearts and minds of ponies and horses and everyone every where, so long as the magic of friendship exists.

PreviousChapters Next