• Published 17th Apr 2014
  • 1,054 Views, 104 Comments

My little Short Stories 2- Paradise Edition - Paradise Oasis



A new batch of short stories, brought to you by the one and only- Paradise!? Follow the accounts of this Pegasus librarian of a pony community!

  • ...
4
 104
 1,054

PreviousChapters Next
A look back, and a look ahead

A look back, and a look ahead

The end of the year, a quiet time to reflect. I often enjoy these quiet moments, in between the goblin attacks and evil villain plots to conquer Ponyland. This brief time after Christmas is done, and the dawning of the new year, is a reminder that time flows far to fast in this weary old world of ours, and in the blink of an eye one can go from being an energetic young foal with their whole lives ahead of them, to an old and grey pony with more life to look back on than ahead. each new year is a chance to reflect back upon what once was, and to look ahead with both hope and dread at what lies ahead to come.

How much did we all here at Dream Valley truly accomplish this year? Was Surprise truly fulfilled in all of the whoopee cushions she put on people's chairs, was she truly satisfied with every banana peel she threw down that another pony tripped on? Does Fizzy feel satisfied with all of the sodas she gave to all of the satisfied customers at the Satin Slipper? What about Paradise, reading her fairy tales in the library, and dreaming her days away? Does she even realize how quickly time is passing her by? Does Moondancer, during her rants about preserving the upright and proper morals of Dream Castle, see that this year just quickly filtered away like sand in the hourglass? Did any of us really grasp how precious what little time we have really is?

Look, my whole point is... when we follow our special talents, and do the things that the marks on our flanks have told us to do since birth... are we really doing anything meaningful? A pony's youth cherished by so many, is here and gone in an instant, and a pony's life is over in less than a century. I watched this whole year simply race on by... I remember last Christmas as if it were only a moment ago! Are we so terribly busy going about our terribly important business, top stop and realize how we're wasting our lives on things that are inconsequential. When I was but a foal, I never understood what the older mares and stallions meant when they said that youth was wasted on the young. But now, I do... oh, great B'zekre, do I finally grasp what they meant.

Dear readers, your life is a precious gift from the horsemaster, the years allotted to each of us so tragically few. Think back on all you have done this past year... your accomplishments, your mistakes, your successes, and your failures. Did you spend some meaningful time with your family or friends? Did you do do something or go on a trip you've wanted to do your entire life? Were you happy with your decisions, or do you feel that you wasted those days that this past year gave you? Did you make those moments of your life, moments you can never relive and never get back, count? Regret is the one curse that will come to haunt you in the later years of your life, and a lifetime of mistakes is indeed the bitterest pill to swallow.

My advice to all of you, then? all of those ponies I have written of in my works, from Majesty to Firefly? Be like them, and not like me. They are ponies who live in the moment, whose hearts are full of joy and happiness. They don't let themselves be troubled by thoughts such as these, so busy are they enjoying playing games with friends, and living their lives to the fullest. Gusty shows no fear when looking to the year ahead, and Sweet Stuff looks to the friends she will make in the twelve months to come with a warm hope, and a gentle smile. Take in every day in the coming year with an eager zest for life, and never waste a moment in regret or worry about the small details. Don't be like the stallion historian who buries himself in the past, and in wallowing his pity and self-loathing and regret lets flitter away the precious thing he so values- his own short life.

My wish for the new year for all of you... is that you live all that you possibly can. Go take that trip to fort Rainbow Dash, go see the temple and gardens in Hoofkaido. All of your excuses are as worthless as all the smooze in grundleland! Ask that very special somepony to be with you all the days of your life. Cast aside that fear of rejection- which is worse, a few days heartbreak over rejected love, or a whole lifetime of loneliness from never asking? This year will be your year to shine, and know that I am rooting for you and your success! This unicorn's time is nearly over, and my mistakes and wasted time can never be recovered. But for all of you can make happy and wonderful lives for yourselves. And on this coming new years day, when your eating your New Years cabbage with the other members of your herd... well, perhaps you will think of the advice I gave you, and smile at the realization of all the good things you have in the year- and the lifetime- ahead. If I can even make that much of a tiny difference, then perhaps all of my wasted years really weren't wasted, after all.

May you all have the happiest New Year, my pony friends. And I hope to see you again in this amazing New Year to come!

Tornado Firehooves

Dream Castle Historian

PreviousChapters Next