• Published 17th Apr 2014
  • 1,054 Views, 104 Comments

My little Short Stories 2- Paradise Edition - Paradise Oasis



A new batch of short stories, brought to you by the one and only- Paradise!? Follow the accounts of this Pegasus librarian of a pony community!

  • ...
4
 104
 1,054

PreviousChapters Next
Dance the Dance, Part one

Dance the Dance, part one

"All right, girls! Kick those hooves high, and show them what you're made of!"

"Awww come on, Twinkle Twirl! We've been over this routine, like, fifteen times now!"

"Yeah, why can't we just go over to Cotton Candy's cafe, and getting something to eat?"

Good Grief, these mares are so difficult sometimes, teaching them the moves to my newest dance routine is taking forever! Bowtie keeps tripping over her own hooves, and Blossomforth keeps bumping into the other mares. Oh, how can I have a dance routine ready for the Spring Festival, when these ponies can't work together like a single unit!

And yet, how can I blame them for being like that? I've always taught my dancing students to be individuals. Each one of them is an artist, and their own bodies are their paint brush, the tool whose movements express their own artistic spirit, carried out in the rhythm of their dance moves. Each mare here in My Dance Studio has her own unique way of expressing herself, and no one is exactly like the other in her dancing talents.

"Take a look at this move, Twinkle. I think maybe we should add my new steps to the routine."

Apple Spice is the quieter out of our dance troupe. Her dances feature strong, rigid movements... highlighting her great earth pony strength. She and her cousin Applejack planted that whole apple orchard on Butterfly island by themselves, and that yellow mare with an orange and purple mane is the strongest mare in my dance studio. She's always the grounded one in our performances, making the slow and steady dance steps. Apple does have the courage to speak her mind though, when she has an idea.

"Hey Twinkle, we gotta add more fast moves into the routine! I mean, how are we gonna keep the audience's attention with all these slowwww moves?"

"Yeah Twirl, we gotta add some more spinning and swirling in, just like we were dancing on the air!"

Coconut Cream is our fast dancer, quickly moving up and down in rapid movements like the roller coasters she so loves. I have never seen another mare this energetic and lively, her white coat and rainbow mane are a blur of high kicks and jumps whenever we're on stage. She's such a real ball of fire, the rest of us have trouble keeping up with her! Complimenting her style is her friend Loop De Lah, who enjoys spinning and twirling moves, always going in circles around whenever she's on stage. The blue mare and her friend leave the rest of us in the dust.

"Hmmmm, Twinkle... maybe we could include some moves for the stallions. You know... a little sauce in our hoof steps to keep em' interested?"

When it comes to sultry, the beautiful Desert Rose puts the rest of us to shame. Her dancing is the rhythmic swaying of her hips to the beat, the swishing tail and movement of her flank that sends every stallion in Ponyville into a lustful frenzy. Rose's dance, or so the stallions tell me, sings of fertility... of the desert heat and the exotic power of the burning sands from whence this mare claims to have originated. I couldn't say anything About that, as her moves and body don't do a thing for me or any other mares. But we can appreciate the athletic beauty that comes from the rapid passionate moves of her frantic, sweat-covered body.

There are times the rest of us actually envy her.

"All right girls, listen up!" I tell them loudly, making the students of my dance troupe fall in line. "I want us to get this 'Butterfly Dance' down so we can perform it perfectly for Queen Star Catcher's birthday next week! I don't want any mistakes, okay?"

"Yes ma'am!" The all giggled together, as they all got back up on the stage. Desert Rose, Loop De Lah, and Coconut Cream hopped into the three main circular platforms, and I stepped over to the wall to where the stage's electronic controls were.

"Okay, ready?" I called out, as Apple Spice, Bow tie and Blossomforth took their places on the sides of the stage. "Go!"

I flip the switch, the the stage and the three raised platforms start to rotate, as the music starts to play. The ponies on the lower platforms dance on all four hooves, the three on the higher tiers stand upright and begin to twirl, leap, and sway. Even though we all have our own unique styles and movements, all of my students are able to take their individual movements and expressions and combine them to perform a masterpiece! As they comes towards the finale, I guide them through the big finish they always have a problem with.

"Good job, ladies!" I encouraged them, standing up on my hind legs. "Now, let's bring this thing home!"

Jumping forward, I leap around to demonstrate my finale dance step.

"Chug chug chug! Up Up Up!"

The others all jump forward, mimicking my moves.

"Chug chug chug! Up Up Up- ohhhhhh!"

As usual, Coconut Cream stumbles forward, and knocks all the other mares off the stage. As they lay there in a pile and giggle, I rub my forehead with my hooves.

"Come on, girls!" I groan, slowly pulling my students out of the pile. "We need to ge this right, to impress the Queen of Butterfly island for-"

"Um, excuse me, Mizz Twirl?" Suddenly, a little white filly trotted into my studio, looking around timidly. "Is diz your dance studio?"

I was surprised by the sight of the child, not because of her rainbow mane, but instead the wings on her back. What was a little Pegasus girl doing here in my dance studio? Did she find her way through the portal under the waterfall and get lost?

"Yes my dear, I'm twinkle Twirl." I reply, trotting over to the newcomer. "Is there something I can help you with?"

"Aloha, Mizz Twirl, mi name iz Honolu-Loo." The little filly told me excitedly, hopping up and down. "An' I came here to join your dance troupe! I wanna be able to perform on stage like the majorly shaka ponies up there on your stage!"

"Well then, I'd be happy to have you come back on Friday!" I tell her with a beaming smile. "That's when I hold my foal dance classes, and we'd be more than happy to bring a flyer into the group!"

And I really was looking forward to it, imagine getting to create dance routines with AIR dance moves! But that's not what the little filly wanted.

"Oh no, you mizuderstand!" The little filly explained. "I don't need to learn how ta dance, I wanna dance for Starcatcher! I vanna show our queen how much I love her by doing what I love doing! I vanna dance for de queen!"

I shook my head sadly, not sure how to tell the poor little filly the problem with her desire.

"I'm sorry, little one, but we already have our routine worked out, and we're already having trouble putting the routine together as is." I try to explain, the little fillies heads already drooping. "Besides, I don't know if we could work a Pegasus into our dance number."

Oh, I see... I understand, mizz Twinkle Twirl." Honolu-Loo sighed, trotting back out the door. But her ears suddenly perked up again. "Oh! I know what you mean! You want me to prove I can do de dance as good as your troupe!" She opened her wings, and took off into the sky. "Don' worry, Mizz Twirl! I'll show you I'm my worth to dance before Starcatcher, you'll see!"

As she zipped off towards the horizon, I still stood there, to shocked to speak. Poor Hona, I hated that she was getting her hopes up like that, when I know there is no way she could be ready in time. After this was all over, I'd have to have a heart-to-heart talk with that little filly, and make sure she was all right.

"Okay, girls... now that that distraction is out of the way..." I tell my dancers with a sigh, turning back to face the stage. "Let's take this thing from the top!"

And as the mares got back up on the stage, I silently hoped Hona wouldn't go and do something foolish to get into the show....

PreviousChapters Next