• Published 26th Feb 2014
  • 6,353 Views, 300 Comments

The Sword in the Stone: Courage to be King - Flutters Is Shy



King Arthur, recently crowned, isnt quite ready to sit down for his reign, so Merlin decides to take him on an adventure to a land called "Equestria"

  • ...
11
 300
 6,353

6 -A Letter and Apples

Dear Princess Celestia.

I am writing to inform you of a monster encounter near Ponyville. Yesterday, at 3:12 pm approx a mile south west from Fluttershys home, a Hydra measuring approx 127 meters in height was sighted coming from the Everfree Forest. The Hydra appeared to be frenzied, and was attempting to eat three ponies that were fleeing from it. We managed to drive it back into the forest without any loss of life, but one of the three -an old stallion one of the other two identified as "Merlin"- was injured. Surprisingly, the injury was unrelated to the hydra, and instead it seems they were attacked by a manticore while traveling through the Everfree. We as of yet haven't ascertained the reason of such a dangerous route of travel. The two others -a colt and a filly- have at this point refused to talk. I believe they may be in shock, and will try to talk to them again today. Once we turned back the hydra, we discovered Merlin was afflicted with manticore venom. We transported Merlin to Ponyville General Hospital, and left him in the capable hooves of our own Nurse Redheart. She claims that Merlin should have made a full recovery by now, and as stated, I plan on going to the hospitl___________ Apologies for the minor error, Pinkie Pie is here and now apparently "we" are going to go check up on Ponyvilles newest guests. She has her party canon, but don't worry, I'll keep an eye on her. Plus, she should know better after last time. Once again, apologies. It was my intention to have this sent to you immediately, but it appears that Spike isn't here at the moment. I'll leave a note for Spike to send this as soon as he gets home.

Your Faithful Student,
Twilight Sparkle And Pinkie Pie!~

-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~-

Twilight looked at the letter, and sighed. "You made your name too big."

"What?"

"Look, its bigger than, well ALL of my lines. it doesn't even fit on the line!" Twilight pointed, and it was quite clear. Twilight's writing was clear and concise, all neat and tidy. Pinkies by comparison had lopsided itself over three different lines, and was at least twice as big as Twilight had made her own.

"So?" Pinkie stared down Twilight with a wide smile, and Twilight found it hard to form a response. Not finding one, she turned to the table. Placing it alongside a note which she quickly wrote out "Spike, send this as SOON as you get back," she turned back to Pinkie Pie.

"Alright, lets get going, those three are probably scared out of their wits, a friendly face will likely go a long way..." Turning to Pinkie Pie, she asked, "Am I forgetting anything?"

"Nope!`" Pinkie Pie cheerily bounced out of the now open doorway, leaving Twilight to give the library another once over, before she herself followed out the door.

-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~-

Princess Celestia, one who raises the sun, Monarch and Ruler of all Equestria, was having a terrible morning.
It had started when she woke up. She normally kept herself in a magically bound slumber, to ensure she woke up in time to raise the sun. Her sleep had been disturbed almost two hours before she had wanted it to. She couldn't figure out how it had been disrupted, and she didn't trust herself to wake up by the time that was needed if she went back to sleep.
So she stayed awake.

By the time she raised the sun, she was wide awake. But she had spent a fair while with body wracking yawns, and her eyes had an itchy feeling behind them.

She set up her workstation outside, on a balcony overlooking a partition.
She had filled out several forms that had been filed in her backlog (Oh the glorious life of monarchy), and the tedium was slowly eating into her.

"Willow Wisp?" she called, trying to get the attention of one of her attendants. "Think you could get me another pitcher of coffee? Mine has unfortunately run dry!" It had actually emptied itself more than an hour previously, but with the mountain of paperwork before her she had seen her time better spent with her muzzle to the paper.

"Just a tic ma-am!" With the muffled sound of movement from the other side of the door, Willow Wisp promptly revealed herself upon entry. Levitating a pot of coffee above her, she went in through the large gilded doors. A unicorn mare with a deep blue coat, and light aquamarine flowing mane and tail. Willow was an on off attendant, and had found the princess to be rather crabby this morning. As such, she was now taking care to console her in any way she could.

"Thank you Willow," taking hold of the coffee pot, she poured a small amount into a cup she had been using. Taking a long sip, she smiled at Willow Wisp. "Apologies for my...rather abrasive personality this morning, just got up on the wrong side of the bed I suppose." Giving her another wide smile, she started as a familiar puff of smoke wove itself through the air. Whirling in front of her face, it quickly coalesced into a signature paper scroll denoting a message from her precious student.

She took hold of the scroll with her magic, and unraveled it. Her eyes went line by line, then stopped. A surprised look flitted across her face, and she quickly re read from the start. Dropping the scroll, she opened her wings to their full extent. With a mighty downstroke, she took off.

Willow Wisp was was left amidst a sudden storm of papers. They slowly made their way back to the ground, those that hadn't simply flown off the balcony.

"...I'm not cleaning this up." With a flick of her tail, she went back inside to call for a maid.

-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~-

"ooooooohhhhhh..."
Arthur had eaten too much. His stomach felt like it was about to explode, but It had been enjoyable though. He hadn't been able to find any of the "cupcakes" that Pinkie Pie had been talking about, but he had secured a copious amount of lime flavored jello.

"Chin up lad, walk it off." Merlin had overindulged as well, yet not to the extent as Arthur. Indeed, only Guinevere had managed to keep herself in decent straights. They meandered along, drawing a stray glance or two as they made their way for the front door. Throwing it open, they strode out into the mid day sun. They proceeded through town, and Arthur was assailed with strange sounds and sights. Round, colorful balls that floated at the end of strings. A strange house with the windows shuttered, through which muted flashing light and deep throbbing music seeped. A pony selling flowers, apparently to consume.

"Are they...moving the clouds?" Arthur had finally looked up towards the sky, seeing a darting movement in his periphery vision.

"They...ah! Yes, yes they are. Now," Merlin stopped, gesturing to a light green coated pegasus, with a cropped blonde main and tail. Arthur couldn't be sure, but the mark on its side appeared to be a sunflower. "This one is moving the clouds to...the outskirts, see? I wager they're going to create a localized downpour, to provide water for the crops in the farms.Quite an efficient system, wouldn't you say, eh?"

"I guess..." Arthur couldn't really fathom the point of moving the clouds. They would just move again, according to the whim of the wind.

Merlin asked a random passerby if there was any work to be had on a nearby farm, and soon enough they were off for a "Sweet Apple Acres", a farm which traded mostly in apples. A curious event, how could a farm consist of nothing but apples? They passed the time commenting on shapes of random clouds overhead, and on the various shades of pegasi guiding them. Before long, the road had shifted to nothing more than an uneven dirt path, with the sides lined with lines upon lines of apple trees. Ahead, they could see a large stallion pulling three carts heaping with apples. They quickly overtook him, and Arthur was able to get a better look at the farmhand. Boasting a coat of deep crimson, he had a clashing mark of a bright green apple half on his side. He was a massive beast, easily a neck and a head above Merlin. Arthur was struck by a memory of his stepfather Hector towering over Merlin.

"Hello there!" Merlin called out to the red stallion, garnering a quick look and a gruff "Hi" from him before continuing on his way.
Arthur was pretty sure this response wasn't born of rudeness but of a single mindedness towards finishing the job at hand. Arthur had been in the same situation himself many a time, where focusing at the task at hand was the only thing that was truly important.

"Hello...sir?" Arthur had sidled up alongside the red stallion, intent on garnering a response above "Hi".
"Is this the way to Sweet Apple Acres?" He took a long look at the foal that had started walking beside him, and uttered,

"Eeeyup."

Arthur looked on expectantly, but it seemed that the slight confirmation was all the red stallion was willing to give. "So....we were wondering, if there might be some work or something we could do on the farm? Maybe for room and board?" Merlin seemed content to let Arthur continue with his questions, and to his credit it looked as if he was about to gain an insightful answer from their new friend.

"...Nope."

Arthur's expression wavered, but he quickly recovered, "Sir, may I ask further on the subject?"

The stallion, slowed, checking his thoughts. He responded glibly "No spare rooms." He then returned to his normal pace.

"So... there is work, just not something we could do for room and board?"

"...Eeeyup."

They continued on in silence for a bit, hoping for another word or two. They found themselves disappointed.Merlin turned to Arthur, and nudged his side. "Man of few words, eh? Best we not irritate him with needless chatter, just-" he leaned close to large stallion, "Just oooone more question for you there, might we pressure you for a name?"

"...Big Macintosh." He muttered, before raising a massive foreleg and wiping his brow of sweat.

"Well, thank you, Big Macintosh." turning back to Arthur, Merlin gave him a wink. "Ah, looks like we're nearing our destination, see the archway?"

Indeed, it appeared they had reached their destination, with a large sign saying "Sweet Apple Acres". There was a small bit of activity surrounding the gate, as three fillies were milling about the entryway. As they grew closer, Arthur could see that they were covered in grime, and something that smelled horrible.

"Applebloom?" Big Macintosh spoke, startling Arthur with its suddenness.

"Oh! Hi...bro..." this was spoken by the normal filly, with coat of muted yellow and hair of bright red. The most striking feature Arthur found however, was a pink bow which held her mane in a ponytail. Her speech trailed down sheepishly, and it was obvious she found the situation more than a little embarrassing. "We...uh...tried our hooves at gaining our cutie marks in...animal handling...but...well..."

"Skunk." Simply stated by Big Macintosh, caused a collective downtrodden look to carry across the three fillys faces.

"Twasnt our fault! We did everythin' all nice, but it just turned and sprayed!" She stomped a little hoof down, dislodging a wad of dirt.

"Tomato bath, I'll get the tub." Big Macintosh trudged off towards a large red walled structure, leaving them alone with this "Applebloom" and her two friends.

"Well, I know this aint the best welcome, but-" With this said, she reared up on her back legs, throwing her two forelegs over her head.

"Welcome to Sweet Apple Acres!"

Author's Note:

baaaaaaaaah. over most of the sickness, but still feel a bit meeeeeeeeeeh.
I'm still looking for a more applicable title card, but as of yet all I've turned up is a reply reading as pretty much as "I dont really want to."
So, sadness in that respect. If anyone knows anyone that would be willing to put up a temporary, feel free to message me.