• Published 26th Feb 2014
  • 6,353 Views, 300 Comments

The Sword in the Stone: Courage to be King - Flutters Is Shy



King Arthur, recently crowned, isnt quite ready to sit down for his reign, so Merlin decides to take him on an adventure to a land called "Equestria"

  • ...
11
 300
 6,353

9 -A Maestro Revealed

Arthur stood in silence for a time, simply staring at the pure white...alicorn, that stood before him.

"I...think he's at a library? Isn't that where you sent him?" Arthur asked Big Macintosh, who seemed just as bewildered the appearance of the giant pony as he had been.

"Eeeeyup."

"Well then, I need to speak with him. Would you do the honor of escorting me?" She stepped to the side, gesturing to the road back to Ponyville.

"I...do you need any more help here?" Arthur asked, turning his head towards Big Macintosh.

"Nnnope. Got everything handled here."

Much to the protests of the three young fillies, Big Mac herded them away, leaving Arthur alone with the alicorn.

Well, as alone as they could be with a certain squirrel turned pony wrapped against Arthurs side, hissing as threateningly as it could at the bemused solar monarch.

"A...friend of yours, young one?"

Arthur did his best to calm Guinevere, before responding."Yes. This is...Guinevere. She's...my friend."

"I see~" She stated, turning and walking down the path several steps before returning her gaze to Arthurs dazed own. "Well then? Come along young one.."

"Excuse me...ma'am?" Arthur interjected, causing the large pegasus unicorn to stop once more.

"Yes? Feel free to speak candidly young one, I am as is the expression, 'all ears'. I wish you to be as comfortable with me as possible."

"Well...I was just wondering...you have... both wings and a horn," Arthur stated, pointing out her appendages with an extended hoof, "What do you see when you look at me? All three of them saw me as something different... but I don't see a horn, or wings when I look myself..." Arthur trailed off, unsure as to what else to say.

The solar Diarch let out a short laugh, beginning to walk once more. "You always were reckless, weren't you Merlin?" she asked to the clouds above, her words without target. She turned to Arthur and Guinevere once more and gave them a slight smile. "So you're from Merlins...home, right?"

"I...I guess so?" Arthur replied.

"He always was one for rather foolish whims, regardless of the consequences. I assume you are a king, back in your home land?"

Arthur gave a start at the sudden confrontation, but seeing no confrontation in her gaze, he quickly calmed down. "...Yes ma'am. I...never would have guessed of such a thing, not even a week ago I would have called you crazy if you were to tell me I was to be king..."Arthur trailed off, trying to find the words to say, "I was a little bit overwhelmed to be honest... I threw a bit of a fit, eventually. It's my fault we're here, so please don't be mad at Merlin, It wouldn't-"

"What ever made you think I would be angry?" Celestia interjected, a confused look on her face, "I mean, of course I'm slightly irritated that he was gone for so long, and he didn't even say he was going! Just one day, poof! Nopony knew where he had gone, or how to contact him...Less than a century after that my sister...I'm sorry, I'm neglecting to answer your question. I actually see you in several different ways...but in it's simplest form, I see you with transparent wings and a horn. You are a king, so it's in your nature to be an alicorn...but you simply haven't 'grown' into it as of yet."

Celestia inspected Arthur with a critical eye, before continuing once more. "You said you don't feel like a king, yes? Your own uncertainty shapes your current appearance. You don't have faith in yourself, so you can't yet see what you might become. But the potential is there, and others can see that within you."

The conversation died down, and the white alicorn allowed Arthur to contemplate her words. Guinevere simply kept close to Arthur, walking in sync to better lean on him.

As they came closer to the town, suddenly Arthur found himself floating alongside Guinevere about two feet off the ground. No ammount of protests or struggling alleviated this.

"Got you!" Twilight triumphantly crowed, her mane jutting up in random spots, sparks of madness dancing in her eyes. "Two down and one to go," She dragged Arthur closer and stared him in the face-Arthur was now floating upside down, muzzle to muzzle with the irate alicorn- "Now where is Merlin Maelstrom? I know he has to be nearby, there's no way he would just abandon two foals, Where is he?!!?"

"Ahem~" tutted Princess Celestia.

"Princess Celestia!" Twilight yelped, her ears splaying against her head.

"Hello, dear student, how are you today?" Celestia calmly stated, as if everything was normal in the world, and Twilight wasn't causing two foals to hover against their will above the ground.

"I... I... I..." Twilight was unable to form a coherent response.

"Twilight, I would personally encourage interaction between yourself and those of a young age, but I do believe you are going about it the wrong way. If you would put them down, please?" The venerable white alicorn said with a smile.

She quickly plopped both Arthur and Guinevere on the ground, a nervous smile upon her face. Guinevere hissed at twilight, circling around her to place herself between Arthur and Twilight.

"I was just... I just wanted to-"

"Find the old unicorn who was accompanying these two?" Celestia asked pleasantly, giving her student a slight smile.

"Yes!" Twilight shouted out triumphantly, shrinking once again at Celestias unblinking gaze. "I mean, I was going to request of them peacefully. Offer them treats to cooperate-"

"Did you ever think about simply following them?" Celestia asked in an amused tone. "They would have reconvened eventually, if you had simply been a little bit patient."

Twilight looked abashed at her teachers criticism.

"As it stands however, the damage is done. How about we go and meet with our elderly friend, since you were so keen on finding him?"

Twilights ears raised in surprise, "You know where he is?" she asked, her forehooves having found their way to rest on her teachers chest, propping herself up to better look in her eyes.

"Quite," Celestia replied, lowering Twilight with a smile on her face. Celestia's ear twitched, swiveling to and fro before settling on a single direction. "I do believe I hear him now, indulging in one of his greater hobbies. Come along, if you would."

She turned and walked off, waiting briefly for Twilight, Arthur and Guinevere to catch up.

"Wait, Princess," Twilight started, "Are you saying you know this Merlin Maelstrom?"

"Know him?" Celestia replied, throwing a conspiratory glance Arthurs way. "I guess you could say that. I guess you could even say that he is one of my oldest friends."

Twilight let out a gasp, and made ready to ask her next question, Celestia cut her off before she was able to respond to this newest development.

"He was even my and Luna's teacher when we were young."

"What? But that, Princess, he's a unicorn though! There's no way he could live that long!" Twilight argued. "Are you saying that he's an alicorn?"

"He isn't an alicorn," Celestia started, stopping in front of a large building. They all could hear music coming from beyond the doors, an entire orchestra at play. "But he isn't completely what he seems, either. He claimed to be ages old when we first met him, and I wager he's even more than what he's admitted to."

"Princess, is he in there? Right now?"

Celestia had been listening to the music, her eyes closed and slowly bobbing to the tune. She opened one eye, directing it at Twilight with a smile.

"Yes, I just wanted to give him the chance to get to the peak of the song before we interrupted him."

She turned to Arthur and Guinevere, "Do you understand how gifted you are to know somepony like that stallion?" She turned back to Twilight, "Twilight, I'd like you to meet one of my oldest friends, a stallion I at one time viewed as a father figure," she blushed, a titter in her voice as she continued. "And even briefly as a lover."

"I'd like to introduce to you, my trusted student. Merlin Sars Salus Von Starswirl."

"Star...Starswirl?" Twilight let out with a choked gasp.

Celestia flung open the doors, allowing the music from within to bathe over them.

"Merlin Sars Salus Von Starswirl the first. Starswirl the Maestro!"