• Published 21st Feb 2014
  • 1,668 Views, 35 Comments

Persona: Innocent Wish - Trismegistus



Shin Megami Tensei's 'Persona' series meets My Little Pony. Follow the story of Arata, an original character, as he arrives in Foalsdale for a year abroad, and soon discovers the untapped power of Persona.

  • ...
5
 35
 1,668

Chapter 38: Bullwark

Ivory shield had returned from Canterlot and assembled the remnant of the E.W.E.F. at their new headquarters. It had been almost one month since Vox’s death now, and few members of the group had stayed in Foalsdale. Atata stood at the head of the large round table whet had finally finished cleaning. Though it had been Ivory who called for the meeting, it was still Arata who was forced to take the lead.

“All right, everypony.” He said voice tired from many expeditions into the forest with Camphor and Rose. Even with the medicine Camphor had been making the Fighting had been Arata’s burden alone. Gear insisted that any day now the copies of Vox’s pistol, which he now called an evoker, would be ready for testing. Though that grew harder and harder to believe. “Let’s get started.”

Camphor and Ivory stood to Arata’s side, with Compass Rose and Sunburst next to them, and Triage, Bullwhip and Gear as their opposites.

“No Blaze?” Triage said, unsurprised. “Still drunk? He’s not gonna have much of a liver in another month if he keeps this up.”

There were a few awkward chuckles.

“Now’s not the time for this.” Ivory snapped. “Arata, this is your meeting, run it.”

“R-right, sorry.” He sighed. “Canterlot couldn’t send us much.” He began, “Ivory was able to get us a few sets of old guard armor, a few actual swords, is that it?” he asked, unable to remember himself.

“That’s it.” Ivory agreed. “None of you have any experience in armor, so we’ll start conditioning immediately. It’s gonna be rough training. But this should hopefully give Arata some relief. Assuming we can actually fight the damned things.”

“Liiiiikkkkeeee,” Camphor began, “I donnnt want to be a downeerrr, but they are like at the edge of the forrreessst. We can’t hide this from everypony much looonnnggerrr.”

“He’s right.” Arata added. “I’m doing my best to hold them off, but they’ve been coming out at almost double the rate lately.”

“Gear!” Bullwhip barked, “Where is that, whatever you call it, Vox used.”

“An evoker,” He barked back, “It’s almost ready. I just need to do a few more tests on the ammunition to make sure it isnt… lethal..”

“So it is ready?” Ivory asked.

“It is close.” He insisted one more time.

“We don’t have time for this,” Sunburst burst out. Though she was often quiet at the meetings, she had grown tired of working to keep ponies out of the forest. “I cant stop them forever. We don’t even know if anyone else can get a persona! We need that thing done now Gear.”

“It’s almos-“ Gear began.

“I don’t care about almost!” Sunburst snapped.

“Stop it!” Arata shouted, the room pulsed with a strange energy as his anger welled. “We can’t be fighting against each other. We have more important things to worry about. Ivory, start getting them all fitted into the armor. I’m going out again.”

“Arata you can’t!” Compass Rose shouted, “that would make 3 times to day. Camphor’s medicine can keep you going, but if you get hurt, we’re done.”

“I can’t let them get into town.” He said, equipping his new sword, and setting out once again.

The moon had begun to rise for the night, and as Arata paced away from their headquarters toward the forest entrance he felt something different in the full moon. Then it came. The all too familiar cackle of Morgana. The Alicorn rose from the forest becoming visible to all of the ponies in the town.

Arata called for the others, who promptly joined him.

She flew closer and closer to the edge of the forest until, as if held by and unknown chain, was pulled to a stop. She diverted her gaze toward the E.W.E.F. “It would seem that I am not quite strong enough to escape my bindings. Though since I cannot deal with you personally now, I have a gift.” Fog spewed from the forrest and stopped in the divide between the E.W.E.F base and the town. It pulsed and shifted as more shadows emerged from the forest. “This should be a fond memory for all of you. Enjoy.” As she withdrew Arata began to recognize the shape before them. It was his shadow, from the very first time he had entered the lake. But something about it was different. It had an evil aura that it did not have before. Anything within it that he recognized was now gone, replaced by hatred. Hatred for its creator.

“Everypony!” Arata shouted, “go to the city! Protect them from the shadows! I’ll hold this thing off!”

Wasting no time Arata called for Pendragon and held the shadow in place long enough for the others to slip through. The monster now spawned hundreds of arms, each one lashing out at Pendragon. Arata caught the attacks on the Dragon’s wings, and quickly countered with blasts of wind.

The creature was more powerful than the last time. Each hit sent Arata’s already tired body into a spiral of pain and disorientation.

Meanwhile while in town, the shadows had emerged into the streets and the little hope of keeping the town at ease had faded away.

Tonic forced Marigold into their home, blocking the door and readying himself for a fight. Ivor sword in hoof flew down striking at all of the shadows. Rose and Sunburst ferried poines caught outside to the roofs of buildings.

The commotion had been enough to get Blaze’s attention. As he stumbled out of the bar, he was met with the sight of shadows emerging and inching ever close toward him. In a half panic, he began to run towards them, flailing with all of his might.

He was quickly met by Rose who lifted him to safety. “We need Blaze back.” She said.

Arata lashed out with wind and claws, trying to attack this visage of his former self. But he did not have the energy to keep up the fight.

Arata hadn’t noticed that Bullwhip and Gear had not run into town. Instead the now stood at the entrance of the building, Gear pleading with Bullwhip not to continue.

“You said you didn’t know if this would kill me, right?” Bullwhip barked again.

“Yes it could kill you please don’t do this.”

“Too late. Arata can’t take this alone much longer.”

He stepped forward to the shadow letting out a deep breath. “No time like the present.”

Unlike the gun Vox had used, this device was mounted to the Hoof, and required a firm press against the head to fire.

He smalled his hoof against his temple, and as he did, a burst of agony shot through his body.

What he screamed next echoed through the panic filled air.

“Bullwark!”

His persona came to him. Though not in the form the others had. His persona took the form of Armor, covering every inch of his body.

As Arata held of another attack, he wasted no time leaping forward, and driving his persona deep into the shadow. Where as Arata could attack from a distance, Bullwhip could not. Instead he gained unheard of speed and strength, able to leap more than he could have ever imagined.

With the monster now distracted. Arata took the chance to let out a final burst of energy. It started to tear into the shadow, rending a gash into its chest. Bullwhip saw his chance and shot himself forward, penetrating through the hole and exiting out of the shadow’s back. Landing firmly on the ground.

With a shriek the shadow faded into ash. And those that had started to attack the village seemed to lose energy with its passing, and either died, or retreated.

Arata propped himself up against his sword briefly, before falling into unconsciousness.

….

Igor’s laughter greeted him. “It seems another has gained the power of persona.” He smirked, “Perhaps you will finally be able to fight on your own terms now……”

Author's Note:

Well, i moved to a foreign country and have been in flux for awhile.

Comments ( 1 )

Good to see this is back. Hope you're doing well in whatever country you moved to, while I can't exactly relate to moving somewhere new it's nice to know that you're still here.

Login or register to comment