• Published 21st Feb 2014
  • 1,669 Views, 35 Comments

Persona: Innocent Wish - Trismegistus



Shin Megami Tensei's 'Persona' series meets My Little Pony. Follow the story of Arata, an original character, as he arrives in Foalsdale for a year abroad, and soon discovers the untapped power of Persona.

  • ...
5
 35
 1,669

Chapter 31: Reach out to the Truth

Arata hadn’t been able to fall asleep the past two nights, and this wasn’t helping his ability to concentrate. In the past, summoning his Persona had been as easy as thinking of Taliesin’s name, but now he couldn’t even feel that familiar presence. What was worse was the new Persona, Pendragon, wasn’t responding to his call.

He had been at this for almost an hour now. Standing in an isolated part of the woods trying his best to call out his protector. With each passing minute he felt more and more frustrated. It didn’t help that the mayor was watching, and couldn’t help but voice her disbelief and growing lack of patience.

One had to admit that even with the disbandment of the E.W.E.F. and Ivory Shield’s testimony, the events being described seemed ludicrous, especially if you were the mayor of the town that would be facing an attack.

“Ivory Shield, I’m sorry, but I’ve seen enough of this. It’s time I went back to town.” The mayor turned and began to leave the forest.

“Mayor Hatchet please, just wait a bit longer. Everything I’ve told you has been the truth, you’ll see.” Ivory Shield glided between her and the path out of the forest.

“Please step aside. I have much more important matters to deal with than watching him stand there and clench his teeth.” Hatchet responded dully.

“Don’t leave.” Arata commanded drawing the mayor’s attention back in. “You have no idea what we have gone through over the past three days. You have no idea what we’ve gone through to make it this far.” The ground around Arata began to glow with a faint blue aura. “You don’t know what it’s like to have the deaths of two ponies on your conscience!” A tarot card appeared above Arata’s head, “And you don’t know how it feels to be the only pony who can protect this town!” The emotion inside Arata was burning up! The card in front of him shattered, and Pendragon’s head erupted from the ground behind him. It clawed its way out of the ground and in unison with Arata, raised its head and let out a deafening shriek.

Mayor Hatchet collapsed to the ground, too shocked to make even a whimper.

“Everything we have told you is the truth,” Ivory Shield said taking in the new Persona Arata had summoned. “And we have a lot more that we need to discuss in order to keep Foalsdale safe.”

The Mayor finally worked up the courage to speak as Pendragon faded away. “Yeah, I think we do.”

“Arata, why don’t you go get some rest,” Ivory Shield said, “I think you could use it.”

He hesitantly agreed. Somehow Ivory Shield was functioning better than everypony else, or at least she seemed like she was.

The previous day Compass Rose had volunteered to fly down to the southern camp and inform them of what had happened. She estimated it would take the group about three days to return. During that time the camp went from a once bustling hub of activity and excitement, to a barren clearing with only a hooffull of tents to speak of.

Besides the exploration team only Triage and Stitch had decided to stay around camp. Following the dissolving of the E.W.E.F., Arata had explained the entire situation to them, although they didn’t seem very happy about it, they insisted that Lexi was their patient and that they wouldn’t leave until she had recovered.

Over the past few days Arata had been preoccupied with so much he had hardly spared Lexi a thought. She was in the intensive care section of the Foalsdale hospital, although she was now in a stable condition. It would be another few days until she was allowed visitors, and Arata intended to be among the first.

Two days later the remaining ponies had gotten word that the southern group would be returning that afternoon. Triage had also informed Arata that he would be able to visit Lexi that morning.

Arata walked through the empty site which used to house the E.W.E.F.; only ten or so tents still stood. They hadn’t been moved and this left large swaths of open space around the camp. For some reason the command tent hadn’t been taken down, it stood emptied of content in the middle of the camp.

Also standing untouched were the equipment tent and Vox’s personal tent. Nopony had dared touch them when camp was being broken. The explorers decided that task should have been left to either Blaze or Penzance, neither of whom had been able to go near them. Blaze had hardly left the bar over the past few days, it was Arata’s hope that the return of this team would snap Blaze out of the slump he had been in, although Arata was fairly certain it wouldn’t.

He arrived at the hospital and quietly made his way up to the front desk. He was directed to the third floor.

The hospital was relatively empty, only a few doctors and nurses were making their rounds. Arata made it to the room just as a nurse was leaving.

“Oh are you here to visit Lexi?” The nurse asked.

“Yes,” Arata said stepping up to the door.

“She’s had a rough few days, and hadn’t been sleeping well. She’s awake now, but try not to stay long.” The nurse cautioned.

“Right, I won’t,” Arata let himself in and found that Lexi had a room to herself.

Lexi was staring out a window. It had a clear view of the snow covered town and the forest beyond it. She wore a green hospital robe and had a blanket lightly draped over her legs. Her neck, half of her face, and right hoof were wrapped in bandages, which Arata assumed, covered most of her torso as well. Her blond mane, which had been singed during the fight, had been cut short so the damage wasn’t visible.

“Hi, Lexi,” Arata softly announced trying not to startle her.

“Who is it?” She asked not yet turning from the window.

“It’s Arata,” He felt a twang of guilt while watching her, none of this would have happened if he hadn’t made that wish. “Sorry it took me so long to come, they’ve only been allowing visitors today.”

“A-Arata.” She quickly turned to face him. There was something different about her face. Her eyes usually had a glint to them, but now they were just two panes of violet with no vibrancy. “You’re all right…” She staggered off. “What… what happened...”

He walked over and pulled a chair up to the bed, the least he could do for her was tell her the truth. He explained everything to her, from his wish to Vox’s death. She seemed to understand almost everything right away, although it didn’t leave her any less distressed.

“You mean… All of this has been going on… and we had no idea?” He mouth trembled and her one visible eye twitched slightly.

“Yes, I’m sorry you were swept into it this way… I really am” Arata sighed.

“And the E.W.E.F. has really disbanded?” She asked.

“Yes, except for a few of us with Personas.” He admitted.

“I see… I’m going to go back to sleep.” The conversation had lasted an hour up until this point, and Lexi was far from ready for a conversation of this length.

“Okay,” Arata stood up and walked toward the door.

“Arata-kun,” She quietly called out.

He turned to face her once more.

“Thank you for coming, and for telling me the truth. Please come again.” She tried her best to smile.

“Right!” Arata assured her. “I’ll keep coming by until you’ve recovered.”

That afternoon Ivory Shield, Arata, Camphor, Triage, and Stitch, had gathered outside the old command tent. The southern team was supposed to arrive any minute and, because of Compass Rose, had already been informed of the events that transpired.

“Where in Tartarus is Blaze?” A low gruff voice shouted.

Coming into view from the road were and earth pony, a unicorn, and two pegasai.

Arata recognized the pegasai as Compass Rose and Sunburst, but he wasn’t familiar with the other two.

The group came to a stop forming a circle. “He’s at the bar.” Ivory Shield answered. “I don’t believe I’ve met either of you,” she said toward the earth pony and unicorn. “I’m Ivory Shield with the Royal guard.”

“Gear,” said the unicorn extending his hoof, which Ivory shook.

“Bull Whip,” The earth pony was wearing a brown jacket, and a wide brimmed hat. “Two things,” he stated. “One: I’m staying here. Two: I’m going to go find Blaze.” And with that he dropped his satchel and walked into town.

“The two of us will stay as well,” Gear said. His dark gray fur surprisingly well kept for someone who had spent so much time in the swamps.

“Yeah, we had a long time to think about it, and you guys will need our help.” Sunburst agreed. “And it’s the least I could do for Vox…”

“There were five others, but they already left.” Gear said brushing his grey mane out of his face, “I hope we will be enough.”

“I hope so too,” Ivory Shield agreed. “And just as a formality, you two have just been conscripted into the royal guard. Sorry, but it’s a necessary precaution.”

“Right,” They nodded.

“Gear, I’m sorry to get you into action so fast, but with Vox gone no one has gone over the equipment in days. Please come with me to the supply tent. We’ll start the inspection.” Ivory said

“Very well,” he sighed.

“And Arata, go follow Bullwhip.” She ordered.

Arata left toward the bar, unsure of what to expect. Hopefully this would be what Blaze needed to face himself.