• Published 29th Jan 2014
  • 7,725 Views, 607 Comments

Baen of Equestria - CrypticMetaphor



A warrior from an Equestria of the past awakens in the current Equestria

  • ...
34
 607
 7,725

XXX

One day later, Baen was sitting in Twilight’s Castle; while she read over the notes he had given Celestia, while he sat in a chair and munched on a muffin. Granted at first, she was not pleased with him. But when Celestia had given him a copy of her notes to give to Twilight, her agitation was sated when the barbarian hid behind them as a shield. After Twilight finished her reading, her face was alight with both intrigue and relief.

“Oh thank Celestia,” she stated with a nervous chuckle, “when you left the train station after that comment, I was a little worried you were going to do…something to the Princess.”

Spike chuckled nearby, “She was going over every possible theory. Especially the saucy ones-“

Spike’s mouth was zipped as Twilight glared at him.

Baen chuckled, “Please Twilight, give me some credit,” he snickered, “at the very least I’d share a drink with her first.”

Twilight grit her teeth in annoyance but breathed to calm her nerves, “Well I’m just glad that nothing bad happened.”

“To me or the Princess,” Baen added playfully.

Twilight pointed a hoof at him, “Quiet you.”

Baen trotted over and gave her a hug, “Oh come on Twilight. You know you’re the only mare for me.”

Twilight was deadpanned as Baen still wore his toothy grin, “You’re pushing it.”

Baen nudged her as he trotted past, “Say what you want, you know you like me.”

Twilight yelled after him as a book whizzed past his head, “YOU’RE IN LOVE WITH COCO REMEMBER?!”

Baen laughed as she chased him through the castle.

Outside, Vinyl and Cheerilee saw random objects flying out of open windows. Baen ran out the front door with Twilight hot on his heels.

Vinyl sipped a shake she was levitating, “He seems to be in a good mood lately.”

“Yes,” Cheerilee smiled after him, “It’s a nice change of pace really.”

Vinyl pointed excitedly, “OH OH! Twilight’s got the pie stand!”

“EAT MY PIE OF WRATH!”

“Maybe later!”

“GRAH!!”

*Splat!*

Vinyl hoof pumped, “Right in the kisser!”

Cheerilee face hoofed, “To think I’m related to him.”

*

After a good morning run and dodge, Baen retreated to his home and washed off the pie he had been covered in. It was indeed true, despite a looming threat, Baen was in good spirits and he didn’t care why. Maybe the love and fun that existed in this time had finally got to him, or perhaps he had finally lost his mind due to stress. Whatever the case, he didn’t care, he was in a good mood and he was going to enjoy it. Seating himself on his couch, he grabbed a book and flipped it open. In a matter of minutes, Baen felt drowsy and soon, he fell asleep. It was only natural, he had expended a lot of energy that morning and needed a power nap…at least that’s what his body wanted.

*

Twilight wiped the last of the pie filling off her face. She couldn’t help but smile. After Baen had been given his home, he had been a regular, if not unusual, member of pony society. Granted his social norms were still skewed, he did mean well. Though Twilight was a princess now and had much larger responsibilities, they never stopped her from looking out for the barbarian. In a way, he was like her little brother that needed supervision and at times help. The sheer fact that he also saw her as a sister always warmed her heart. He felt accepted by the ponies of her time now and he showed it either by helping or socializing. Heck, he even started taking interest in their stories for once. He had even shared a few of his own; he did leave the saucy ones out, which they all appreciated.

But in truth, something always bothered her. When she had first awakened Baen, he had been suffering night terrors and nightmares so horrible that they threatened to affect his health. She remembered the day they had found him thrashing on that hill from being struck by an invisible foe. She had never been more scared for him than in that instance. Though she knew the most likely reason the nightmares had stopped was that now, Baen had the girls, Coco, his friends, and his pen pals to talk to.

“Um, Twilight,” Spike’s voice invaded her mind for a moment.

“Oh,” Twilight glanced over to the voice, “Yes Spike?”

“You’re walking up the walls again.”

Twilight looked down and noticed she was perfectly horizontal on the north wall of her throne room.

Chuckling sheepishly, she flapped down to ground level.

Spike titled his head, “Something wrong?”

“Well,” Twilight started.

“Don’t tell me,” Spike said amused, “Baen troubles?”

Twilight nodded, “It’s not really troubles. It’s just that it’s one of the mysteries that surround him. I mean Spike,” the dragon listened, “when we first met him, he suffered from these bad nightmares and to this day we never knew what they were about. I’m just thinking that-“

Spike raised his claws, “Whoa there. Twilight, you know as well as I do that we shouldn’t pry into somepony’s private business. And personally, I think looking into Baen’s nightmares is something you might want to stay away from.”

Twilight sighed as she slumped in her throne, “Maybe. It’s just…,” she tapped her chin, “those nightmares might shed some light on one question that’s been bothering me since day one. How did he get frozen in stone and why?”

Spike shook his head, “Like I said, I don’t think you should,” it then occurred to him, “plus, how would you even go about looking?”

“I believe I can assist in this endeavour of yours Twilight.”

Twilight glanced up and noticed Princess Luna standing nearby with a small smile.

“Princess? But…”

“My sister and I share your curiousness Twilight,” she looked out one of the windows in thought, “This query of yours is most opportune, it seems our barbarian is having an afternoon nap.”

Twilight blinked, “So…you’re?”

“Indeed,” Luna stood tall, “We shall venture into Sir Baen’s mind and solve one of the greatest riddles that exist around him.”

Twilight smiled and hopped to the ground, “Perfect! Wait…were you planning on doing this before hoof?”

Luna blushed sheepishly, “It…might have crossed my mind once or twice.”

Twilight raised an inquisitive eyebrow, “Then why didn’t you?”

“We did…I mean, I did not want to breach Baen’s trust,” Luna shuffled slightly, “He’s such a nice stallion and we did not want to…”

“Sister, do I sense a crush?”

Luna meeped as Celestia entered the throne room.

Twilight smiled at her peer, “Princess Celestia.”

“Good afternoon Twilight,” she winked playfully at her blushing little sister, “I assume Luna has told you why she’s here?”

“Yes and frankly,” Twilight nodded with a steeled look, “I’m ready to go when you are.”

Luna perked up, “Excellent! Let us begin!”

There was a massive flash of light…then all three ponies were asleep on the ground in heaps.

*

Celestia shook the sparks from her eyes and glowered at a blushing Luna, “A little warning next time Sister.”

Luna chuckled, “Apologies, it seems I was, as the mares say today. Quick to the trigger.”

Twilight glanced around in surprise, “Where are we?”

Around them, there was nothing but snow and mildly cold wind. Though the area looked dark at first, they good see a rising sun in the distance which lit the whole area. When the warming rays of the sun hit the land, the wind died down.

Luna glanced around and noticed that bordering the area was massive rock walls leading to high cliffs, “Hm, it seems we’re in a massive mountain valley, possibly on a mountain near a fjord.”

Celestia walked slowly through the snow as she crested a hill and glanced down, “So. This is where he lived.”

The two princesses ran to Celestia’s side and gazed down into the area below the slope. Tents, huts and a much larger hall like building were built down below to form a settlement. Ponies of all ages and builds were down below. Some were dressed in furs while others were in armor. All of them either talked amongst themselves, bid others good morning, or kissed their lovers before departing. Twilight stared in amazement.

“This is…,” Twilight couldn’t finish due to something hitting her in the head.

Celestia and Luna looked over and noticed it had been a snow ball. Nearby, a giggling group of colts and fillies were playing in the snow with wooden weapons.

Luna nodded in understanding, “This is not only a memory, but also a fantasy of what he wishes could have been.”

Before Twilight could question what she meant, Celestia pointed with a warm smile.

A colt bearing a familiar red mane was in a massive snow ball fight with a familiar looking alicorn filly.

“That’s…me?”

The Filly Twilight hurled snowball after snowball at Colt Baen, until he tackled her and she yelled for help. Twilight then noticed to her surprise five familiar fillies run to her aid and tackle the colt off of their friend and attack him with snow. Nearby the six fillies didn’t notice four ponies rush to Colt Baen’s aid.

Luna chuckled, “Shining, Cheerilee, Vinyl, and Coco, why am I not surprised.”

Celestia then turned her head and noticed a massive snow castle being presided over by three alicorn fillies. Filly Cadance raised a legion of snowballs with the Filly Luna & Celestia before raining down frozen fury upon them.

Luna laughed, “Well this seems most entertaining.”

“If you keep watching, you’ll see the best part.”

All three turned their heads and saw a smiling Baen beside them.

The snow castle collapsed and the three Princesses were defeated. However, all of the participants rolled around laughing before they all embraced in a warm group hug. A voice was then heard on the wind, soft and caring.

“Baen, come home. Your father is waiting.”

Colt Baen replied back and bid the Fillies and Colts farewell before departing toward the settlement. The four ponies turned their heads as the Colt Baen ran toward a nearby mare. Her moderate cyan eyes stared at the four, her braided chocolate brown mane blew lightly in the morning breeze.

Twilight smiled at the mare and she smiled back.

Baen felt tears in his eyes, “Mother.”

Ardia smiled at her grown son before the landscape vanished.

Baen then turned to gaze at them, “So, explain to me why you are all in my head.”

Twilight scraped the ground, “Well, in truth. We wanted to discover how and why you were frozen in stone.”

The landscape trembled for a moment, “You don’t want to see.”

Celestia tilted her head, “There’s something you are not telling us Baen,” her usual look vanished and was replaced with an official and serious one, “What is it?”

Baen looked around quickly, “Trust me, you need to leave now. It’s coming.”

“What is coming?”

Baen sighed, “Because you reminded me…the nightmare.”

Soon the landscape broke apart and revealed the interiors of a familiar temple Twilight had explored many many months ago. Baen however, was surprised as he glanced around.

“How is this possible?”

Luna stepped forward, “Some nightmares can be a dark memory Sir Baen. Your mind was merely showing you what would instill the most fear. But since I am here, I have opened your mind to this memory in full.”

A massive inhuman roar shook the temple; the roar itself shook Baen to his very core.

Twilight noticed and became worried, “Baen?”

Baen turned around slowly and beheld the thing that had roared. Now as many know, in Equestria, the Princesses of Equestria have never shown fear to the enemy or any foe. But the thing they saw before them, made them for the first time feel complete and utter terror of death.

The creature before them towered above them at 9 feet in height. It was bipedal and stood atop strong muscled legs. Its whole body was composed of what one could only describe as blood red armor. The armor’s appearance itself was shell like but boasted the edge and jaggedness of stone. Its five fingers ended in blade-like talons. Sprouting from its head was a pair of jet black horns that scraped the roof as it approached. Engraved into the very surface of its armor was the impression of veins and the outlines of a well-built muscular structure, but even those impressions were twisted and sinister in appearance. In a word, the thing was unnatural and demonic. It had no mouth, nose, or ears, just the rigged texture of its armor like hide. What did stand out were its eyes glowing diabolical orbs of yellow. It then spoke one word in a low booming voice that echoed over the walls.

“Barbarian….”

Baen trembled and backed away.

The reality around them shattered like glass.

*

A few hours later, all four ponies sat in Twilight’s throne room in silence.

Twilight was the first to speak, “Baen….what was that…thing?”

Baen was silent but then started to speak, “The Defiler, The Flame of Destruction, The Harbinger of War, The Red Demon…,” Baen looked into their eyes and spoke its name in a hushed tone, “Rath’gor.”

Celestia and Luna both blinked, “Red Demon?”

Baen sighed, “There is much that must be told. But...”

“Baen,” Twilight placed a hoof on his, “We’re not going anywhere.”

“Right,” Baen inhaled to steady his nerves, “First, gather the girls. Meet me at my house in two days’ time, I have to prepare.”

Baen rose slowly, “It’s time I tell you exactly what is going on.”