• Published 29th Jan 2014
  • 7,718 Views, 607 Comments

Baen of Equestria - CrypticMetaphor



A warrior from an Equestria of the past awakens in the current Equestria

  • ...
34
 607
 7,718

XVII

Baen pursed his lips as he hauled a massive chunk of stone out of the main hall of the castle. The barbarian, who had been shanghaied into helping the girls clean the old castle of the two pony sisters, was put in charge of the heavy lifting department. Glancing around at the slowly clutter free castle, he heaved a sigh before re-entering. The girls were cheerfully going about their assigned duties as Baen dragged another stone slab out the door, and almost bumped into Spike. The little dragon was nose deep in a book that had a bright and colorful cover. The current cover was orange with shiny gold foil streaks on it. The cover photo showed six pony silhouettes heading toward a pair of burning red eyes in a raging inferno; the title read ‘The Power Ponies Vs. The Ferocious Fire Brand,’ in shiny gold foil lettering.

Baen raised an eyebrow, “What matter of book is that?”

“Seriously,” Spike looked at him in shock, “You don’t KNOW what a comic book is?”

Baen tapped his chin, “Can’t say I have, though I’ve heard of them.”

Spike nodded his head and lead the stallion into the castle, “Come on dude, I’ll show you.”

As Baen walked past the girls, they stared at him curiously though noted his job was done for now.

Twilight actually smiled at seeing Baen being escorted by Spike, “See girls, he’s starting to branch out now.”

Rainbow huffed, “Yeah. But it would be nice that he branched out to the mares that have done nothing but be nice to him.”

“Oh come on Rainbow,” Twilight said as she placed a few more books in their proper places, “Don’t be like that. Baen’s trying isn’t he? I mean he’s friends with-“

“Everypony but us,” Rainbow finished.

Rarity nodded as she dusted, “I have to agree with Rainbow, Twilight. Though Baen has leveled out, as the saying goes, he has treated everypony else well, except us.”

Twilight sighed, “Remember our agreement girls? We’re supposed to take it slow with him and not force him to do things he doesn’t want to do.”

Applejack glanced at Twilight, “Like when ya took his axe all those times, turned him into a Breezie,” she gestured around, “And pretty much guilt tripped him into comin here with us?”

Twilight turned to stare at Applejack, “I didn’t guilt trip him, I merely said that we would appreciate the help and we couldn’t do any real heavy lifting.”

Applejack just raised an eyebrow.

Twilight sighed, “Okay, maybe the spell I used on all of us drained me and MAYBE I gave him my best puppy dog eyes,” she gave a weak smile, “but I mean well. Right?”

Pinkie nodded as she painted a section of the ceiling via pogo-stick.

Rainbow shook her head, “I don’t know Twi, take it from me here,” she flew to her friends side, “Somepony like Baen can probably hold a grudge and believe me when I say, leveled or not, if he’s given the chance he’ll act on it.”

Twilight leaned back, “But grudges are just petty and foalish.”

Rainbow shrugged, “Just saying.”

*

Baen stared with intrigue at the comic he had been given, “So then you’re telling me, you and the girls defeated this…Mane-iac?”

Spike nodded as he flipped through the orange and gold foil comic book, “Yeah it was so awesome! Actually, I think you might have liked it,” he glanced over the top of the book, “actually, I wonder what kind of pony you would’ve been in Maretropolis. I mean a barbarian superhero would be wicked cool!”

Baen tapped his chin, “True.”

Spike thought of something as he reached the end of the comic, “You know, I’ve never actually read the end footnote in a while,” he shut the cover, “well I’m going to go grab a snack from the lunch box I brought.”

Baen thought for a moment and smiled deviously, “Say Spike, can I read that while you’re gone?”

Spike thought for a second and shrugged, “Sure, just be careful with it. I like my comics in good condition.”

Baen nodded with the smile on his face still, “Of course I will.”

As Spike left, Baen retrieved a magnifying glass and looked at the foot note. Nodding for a moment he readied himself.

“Finish the story down either path, to return back where you began,” he read.

After reading the words, the comic gave off a massive white glow as he smiled, “Well it’s not a vacation, but it’s something to cut loose.”

A shriek alerted him to somepony behind him.

Glancing quickly he noted seven shapes running to grab him before the eight of them were consumed.

*

Spike opened his eyes and stood up. He was in the middle of a darkened street, noting he was once more garbed in his Hum-Drum attire, “Girls you here?”

The six elements of harmony, now once more the Power Ponies, came to Spike looking none too pleased.

“Spike,” scolded Twilight, “What did I tell you about those foot notes?”

Spike looked down at his feet, “Not to read them. But Twilight I didn’t,” he looked around, “Baen did.”

Rarity was floating on a Persian rug, “Well where is he then. Shouldn’t he have been here with us?”

Rainbow flew into the sky and looked around, “Wait a minute, this isn’t Maretropolis. Where are we?”

Spike glanced around once more and looked over the side, “Cool! We’re in Trotem City!”

The massive almost gothic skyline greeted the now in awe ponies.

Spike then waved over the horizon, “This, Power Ponies, is the home town of Mistress Mare-velous. Trotem City.”

Applejack looked on in awe, “Hoowee! Now this place is even bigger than Manehatten!”

A pony yelled out, “I love you Mare-velous.”

Applejack nervously waved back, “And…Ah love you random citizen.”

“Well this isn’t what I expected.”

All the ponies turned around and stared.

Baen stood before him, his wild mane and tail looking much more wild than usual. He was currently garbed in a skin tight body suit that was jet black with orange segments on it. The segments themselves had golden edges to them and were in the shape of fiery rings around his fore-hooves and hind hooves. His color was trimmed with the same pattern and he had a gold band around his barrel engraved with runic lines. The girls all ooed slightly, except Spike, whose knees were rattling.

Twilight turned to face the Power Ponies, “Alright girls we all know the drill, we just have to find the villain of this comic, defeat him or her and then we can go back home.”

“So Spike,” Rainbow landed beside the trembling dragon, “Where is this big bad baddy?”

Spike pointed straight at Baen who was deadpan.

Baen raised an eyebrow, “Seriously?”

Twilight glanced at Spike, “Who is Baen supposed to be exactly?”

Spike gulped, “A new villain that the Power Ponies are fighting, F-Fire Brand.”

Pinkie Pie zipped up, “So what’s the word on em Spikey?”

Spike turned to them, “Well originally Fire Brand was a young archeologist who one day came across a tomb. When he opened it-“

Baen glanced up as his mane became a torrent of flame then went back to normal, the girls didn’t notice.

“-an ancient force of power and destruction known as the Phoenix Fire entered him. The power got to him and corrupted his mind until he became a stallion of pure flame and evil.”

Baen raised a hoof as a fireball ignited in its center.

Twilight nodded, “Alright then. Baen I have a plan, we can speed this up if you let us beat you. Now we have to all-“

A massive ball of fire and ash blasted Twilight through a nearby wall.

Rainbow surged over to Baen, “What the hay Baen?! What was that for?!”

Baen gave a toothy smile, “The same thing that this is for,” opening his mouth, a torrent of flame engulfed Rainbow and sent her flying in an arc into the sky before crashing into the pavement.

Rarity glared at the stallion, “Now see here!”

“Good idea,” a twin pair of flames shot from Baen’s eyes and propelled Rarity into Dash, both soon falling unconscious.

Pinkie sped around Baen in a blur throwing things at him, “Take that! And THAT!”

Pursing his lips, Baen stomped a hoof on the ground and a ring of fire discharged around him.

Pinkie hopped in place as her hooves gave off smoke and steam, “HOT! HOT! HOT! HOT! HOT!”

Baen then turned to Fluttershy who whimpered and fell over.

Baen then brought his head back and cackled like a mad stallion as his mane and tail became pure fire. Fire shot from his hooves and it lifted him into the air. Soon he stood atop a massive fire-like mass and gazed down at the mares with white hot glowing eyes.

“Oh this is perfect,” he clapped his hooved together; “Finally I call the shots! Finally I HAVE THE POWER!”

Baen smirked as he turned his fire- mass around, “Sorry to leave you hot and bothered girls, but I have some business to attend to,” he then mock said, “I hope that doesn’t burn you up.”

Laughing, he took off into the sky, his fireball screeching under him and leaving a fiery trail in his wake.

Twilight groaned in pain as she pulled herself out of the rubble and drowsily said, “Did we win?”

Spike shook his head as all the girls looked after the barbarian now turned Super-Villain.

Author's Note:

Part 1 of the 'Power Ponies Vs. Fire Brand', is over

Will the Power Ponies defeat the foreboding fiery foe that is Fire Brand?

Or will their brand of justice go up in flames?

Stay tuned True Believers for chapter XVIII, The conclusion of this great battle!

(Wanted to make the chapter like the opening to an episode two parter, the bulk and fight will be in the next one! Also, would anyone be willing to draw a picture of Baen as Fire Brand?)