• Published 29th Jan 2014
  • 7,720 Views, 607 Comments

Baen of Equestria - CrypticMetaphor



A warrior from an Equestria of the past awakens in the current Equestria

  • ...
34
 607
 7,720

IV

The silence within the library was the jarring thing despite the statement that had been spoken. Baen stared with a look of puzzlement at the perplexed mares young and old. Truthfully he had been honest and didn't know why they were so shocked, it was a common statement for a stallion who had never heard of an individual.

Celestia shook slightly but managed to regain he composure somewhat, “W-what do you mean you've never heard of us?”

Baen shrugged as he leaned forward, “It’s just as I said. I’ve never heard of you or any of the beings you've mentioned.”

Luna shook her head, “That’s impossible! That would mean you predate recorded history!”

Baen leaned forward with a smug look on his face as a hoof supported his chin.

Celestia blinked once, “Mother of us.”

Twilight whitened slightly, “J-just how old are you Baen?”

Baen pointed to a light bulb, “Old enough to not know what the buck that thing is.”

Celestia cleared her throat, “Well then…Baen. Would I trouble you for some clarity?”

“What,” Baen raised an eyebrow, “Like my life story?”

Luna nodded, “If it is not too much trouble, merely the details that are significant.”

Baen mulled the thoughts over in his head. On the one hoof he did not know these mares who were clearly royalty, but at the same time, did he honestly have a choice? Baen sighed and shut he eyes for a moment humming in thought.

“Alright.”

Twilight immediately retrieved a notebook and sat beside her fellow princesses. Even the rest of the girls including Rainbow Dash were intrigued by the stallion and the tale he was going to tell.

Baen placed his armored fore hooves together, “Alright, where do I begin.”

*

A dark snowy night was not uncommon up in the mountains of Gurnstalf. The fjords when frozen over glistened like diamond under the full moon and stars. Journeying through the tundra was a couple of earth ponies both garbed in cloaks of dark fur. One was a dark navy blue stallion with a dark grey mane and a small beard. Beside him stood a mare that was Ruby Red with a long and chocolate brown mane that was braided behind her. The mare possessed moderate cyan eyes whereas the stallion had coal black eyes. Both ponies stopped in their tracks when they heard the faint sound of crying.

The mare glanced to her husband, “Barlof…”

“I hear it Ardia,” Barlof turned his head left and right trying to discern the source of the sound, “I merely find it hard to believe.”

The two ponies rounded the bend and found a troubling sight, before them lay a mare covered in snow. They could not discern her appearance but their attention was drawn to what she was holding. Wrapped in a warm blanket was a crying foal. It’s coat a light peach color and it’s mane a wild mess of rose red. Its emerald green eyes awash with tears as it cried for warmth that its mother could no longer provide.

Ardia approached the foal and picked it up, “Poor thing,” she examined it closely and widened her eyes, “Incredible, it survived this long in a blizzard?”

Barlof came to her side and tilted his head, “It is indeed wondrous,” he nodded, “It seems Tieg himself has blessed this foal. Look at him, strong lungs, and a strong body that has withstood the cold.”

Ardia looked to her husband, “We cannot leave him out here. Surely we can take him in,” she cooed softly at the foal who stared at the mare with a small smile, “This must be a sign from Tieg himself. We have prayed for a child and now, we have found one.”

Barlof placed a hoof on her, “My love, he is not ours. We are not savages who take children.”

“But his mother is dead,” she turned to her husband, “If we leave him he shall surely perish. You must understand.”

Barlof sighed, “I understand, but that does not change the fact he is an outsider. His age is irrelevant,” Barlof remained stoic, “my fore-fathers handed down our creeds and I aim to enforce them as our Clan Leader.”

Ardia looked pleadingly at her husband, “Please my dearest.”

Barlof looked to the side for a brief moment, “If he survives the night with us. If he remains strong, we may keep him. But we must leave it in Tieg’s hooves; it is his place to decide.”

Ardia smiled at the foal that had drifted off to sleep, “What shall we name him?”

Barlof shut his eyes in contemplation for a minute before speaking one word, “Baen.”

Ardia smiled, “Baen.”

Barlof nodded as they continued to trek toward a mass of light in the distance, “In the old tongue, it mean fair-skinned.”

*

Celestia tapped her chin, “Tieg….that name.”

Baen smiled in nostalgia, “It’s the name of the God my tribe follows. He guides us in battle and protects our allies. His will is absolute.”

Luna nodded, “I see.”

Twilight tilted her head curiously, “If you don’t mind me asking. Did you ever discover who your mother was?”

“No,” he looked at the group with a calm expression, “I was raised since I was a foal by my father and mother. Despite my origins, they will always be as such.”

Fluttershy trotted over to Baen and gave him a warm hug, “I’m so sorry.”

Baen raised a question eyebrow, “Umm…it’s alright.”

Rainbow Dash snickered and jokingly pointed a hoof at him, “What, not use to hugs?”

“Well,” Baen glanced down at Fluttershy who smiled back at him, “We had different ways of displaying compassion.”

Fluttershy stood up and blinked curiously, “What’s that?”

Baen smiled as he then pulled Fluttershy toward himself and planted his lips on hers. The meek pegasus’s eyes widened in surprise as her wings sprung up. Baen then released her and Fluttershy was as red as a tomato.

“Oh my,” the pegasus then fainted.

Baen then glanced at the shocked mares, “What?”

*

Many ponies outside were having a leisurely stroll when the front door of the Ponyville Library erupted into splinters. A cyan and peach colored blur smashed into the ground. When the dust settled it revealed Rainbow Dash grappling with the armored Baen.

“THAT IS IT! YOU ARE TOAST!!!!!”

Baen narrowed his eyes and bucked Rainbow Dash off, “I’m getting pretty sick of you!”

Rainbow Dash readied herself to bull charge but instead surged into the air and dive bombed Baen. Baen was unprepared for the assault as he was taken off his hooves and released with the momentum toward the ground. The barbarian skidded across the ground and came to a stop in front of a nearby statue. Rainbow Dash landed and snorted steam as she advanced on the downed barbarian’s location.

“Had enough punk?”

The response was abrupt and brutal. The statue in question flew through the smoke like a bat and headed toward the cyan baseball that was in its way.

Rainbow Dash’s pupils turned to pin pricks, “Oh pony feathers.”

She saw white.

*

Twilight, the princesses and the rest of the girls arrived on the scene and gasped in surprise and shock. Rainbow was lying on her back covered in broken stone and dust, her left hind leg twitched and her eyes were shut. A bit of blood was trickling from her nose, but she was breathing. Baen on the other hoof was standing tall, but he was different. He was engulfed in a fiery red aura that blazed like an open flame, his pupil glowing pinprick of red with thin rings of the same light illuminating the edges of his irises.

Twilight ran to her fallen friend’s side, “You hit her with a STATUE?! ARE YOU INSANE!?!?!”

Baen’s appearance returned to normal as he exhaled and beheld what he had committed, “….”

Rainbow squirmed and stood shakily, “D-did anypony get the number of that carriage?”

Applejack stormed past Dash and advanced threateningly on Baen with Rarity as well as an angry Pinkie backing her up.

Baen sighed, “This is not the wisest course of action….”

Applejack glanced at Dash then back to Baen, “Well it looks like violence is the only thing you understand.”

Baen wobbled slightly, “Damn, I shouldn’t have used Wrath so soon…”

Before things could escalate further, Rainbow blocked her friends and approached the barbarian.

She glared into his eyes and he into hers. The wind blew across both of them as the moment became heated.

Rainbow Dash then shook her head with a smirk, “That was a cheap shot,” she placed a hoof on his chest, “Though I have to say, anypony who has the guts to actually take me on in a fight is either really dumb. Or he’s really brave.”

Rainbow twitched in pain, “I’ll let what you did in the library slide because that was actually one of the best fights I’ve had in a while,” she seemed to hop in place, “got the adrenaline going. But if I see or find out you did ANYTHING like that to somepony again,” she pulled him close and spoke in a threating tone, “I will use that axe of yours as a surgical tool.”

Rainbow Dash then zoomed off toward the hospital while Celestia cleared her throat, “Baen, it is clear to me that you need help adjusting to present times. I would rather you not battle my little ponies on the streets every time one of them looks at you wrong,” Baen growled at a stallion that was staring at him causing the staring stallion to run away in fear.

Celestia rolled her eyes slightly but continued, “So, I think it prudent that Twilight act as both your mediator and teacher.”

Twilight blinked, “Really? But Princess, I don’t really know if…”

“I have my upmost confidence in you,” she then sighed, “Luna put the axe down.”

Luna pouted and dropped the axe with a clang which caused everypony to flinch in the vicinity.

Celestia then approached Baen, “Regardless if you are from another time period. I still rule these lands and I have certain laws which I expect everypony to follow. Am I clear?”

Baen nodded, “Crystal.”

Celestia smiled but then took in the damages, “Though, I suspect you will have to find a home.”

Rarity shook her head quickly, “No amount of gems in the world will allow me to let that barbarian into my shop.”

Applejack nodded slowly, “Sorry. But the last thing we need is to fill in axe holes in the walls and floors.”

Fluttershy remained silent as Pinkie Pie perked up, “Sorry Baen, but the cakes have made a strict policy of no sharp pointy things in their house.”

Twilight glanced back where Dash departed, “I doubt Rainbow will want him to bunk with her.”

Twilight then glanced at Baen who was sitting on his flank with a raised eyebrow, “And I hate to say it. But you can’t stay with me either,” she glanced at her library, “I just don’t think I could handle you.”

“Well if that’s the case, I’ll take him.”

All eyes then fell upon the source of the voice, Vinyl Scratch.

The mare seemed to have been standing well outside the battlefield for quite some time. The popcorn bag she had was clear evidence of that.

Vinyl Scratch wore a grin on her muzzle, “Sup?”

Celestia stepped toward Vinyl, “Are you sure Miss Scratch?”

Baen scowled at the fact that she made him sound like a walking threat….oh wait.

Vinyl shrugged and nodded, “Yeah. He seems like a cool dude. Plus,” she smiled as she lifted her glasses, “How many ponies can say that they have a real live barbarian living with them?”

Luna nodded thoughtfully, “She raises a good point sister.”

Celestia smiled as she levitated Baen’s axe over to it’s owner, “Very well then. Vinyl Scratch and Twilight, you are both to watch over Baen to the best of your abilities and ensure he stays out of trouble and not cause mayhem or uncalled for violence.”

Rarity was surprised at the statement, “Uncalled for violence?”

“Of course,” Celestia gave a wink, “who knows what could happen.”

Everypony then bid farewell to each other and departed.

Vinyl walked to her new roomie and placed a fore leg around his neck, “Come on roomie; let me go show you your new digs.”

Baen blinked, “I’m supposed to dig a hole in your home?”

Vinyl broke out into a laugh, “I like this guy! Come on dude.”

Baen was still confused as he placed his axe on his back and followed the unicorn DJ. As he walked away, his eyes lingered between two buildings. He could have sworn for an instant he glimpsed somepony in a tattered hooded cloak gazing at him. But when he looked back, nopony was there.

Author's Note:

Quick thing. Down the line there will be chapters with Baen in episodes from season 4, so be prepared for some madness! THOSE chapters will be named, the rest will be numbered in roman numerals.