• Published 29th Jan 2014
  • 7,718 Views, 607 Comments

Baen of Equestria - CrypticMetaphor



A warrior from an Equestria of the past awakens in the current Equestria

  • ...
34
 607
 7,718

X

Baen was staring into the eyes of evil and neither he nor it would blink. The Chimera glared daggers at him as he sat atop the tree. He had been bored and decided to venture forth into the unknown for the day, but there was a minor snag that had to be dealt with first. Turns out his little escapade was falling upon an event that Pinkie Pie wanted to plan for which also warranted him being invited. But even though they all followed the same oath Twilight swore, Pinkie Pie was Pinkie Pie.

*

She gave her best puppy dog face as Baen shook his head for the sixteenth time, “I already said no Pinkie. That look, though quite impressive, won’t work on me,” he then glanced down and growled slightly, “And would you please let go of my leg!”

Pinkie only gripped tighter, “NOT UNTIL YOU SAY YES!”

Baen gave the girls an annoyed grimace who were giving him apologetic looks.

*

The Tiger Head growled at him, “Come down here so I can tear you limb from limb.”

Baen sighed as he heard the sound of some sort of celebration back at Ponyville. The Chimera took notice and paused its threatening stance.

“Sistersssss,” the snake head spoke, “I believe his mind is elsewhere.”

The goat head sighed in frustration, “This is what I hate. We fiiiind a meal that fights back, then it’s not fully in it!”

Baen shook his head mumbled, “Tieg give me strength,” he then hopped from the tree, “I’m sorry but I’m just not feeling it right now. If you’ll permit me, we shall pick this up at a later date.”

The Tiger head smiled and nodded, “Of course take all the time you need.”

When Baen vanished from sight, the Chimera then realized what it just did and reacted as such.

“GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!”

*

Baen then arrived in Ponyville to what could be described as utter Party Armageddon. He could only stare on in utter…there was no words. It was like a mixture of shock, awe, and slight anger at the stupidity blocking his way to the safe haven of Vinyl’s. He took notice of Pinkie Pie singing against another pony in a vest with some sort of cheese theme going for him. Baen steeled himself and took off in a sprint down the center of the celebration, this would be the biggest folly he could do. It happened so fast that he could only do a few actions. He halted when a shadow loomed over him, glancing to his right he noticed Rainbow staring up. Then she noticed Baen.

“Baen?”

Baen was equally surprised, “Rainbow Dash?”

Both looked up at the sound of Pinkie singing in some foreign language. Then he saw the massive thing heading toward him. Then he saw black for a few seconds, because the black transitioned to red. He heard a muffled ‘stop’ before the thing atop of him was slashed to bits. Gritting his teeth in rage his burning stare turned to Pinkie Pie who stepped back slightly, but then out of the crowd, Cheerilee ran to Baen.

“Baen keep calm, it was an accident.”

He spoke through gritted teeth, “I. AM. CALM.”

His gaze and temper faltered slightly when he saw something in Pinkie’s stare. It might have been a trick of the light or he might’ve been hallucinating, but he could of swore that he saw a rainbow light shimmer across her irises. His anger faltered and turned to surprise as Pinkie started firing off apologies. Her five friends gathered to her as Baen’s Wrath aura turned off.

He shook his head as he backed up, “Just what are you six…”

Twilight raised an eyebrow, “Excuse me?”

He sighed in defeat at even attempting to muster the brain power to try to understand the moment, “I’m done, I’m going home to sleep. So have fun,” he waved around, “at doing whatever it is you’re doing.”

He walked past the massive thing that crushed him.

*

That had been a week ago.

Presently Baen was sitting and finished his musing as Rarity finished drawling on about something.

“Baen, were you even paying attention?”

Baen was monotone in his answer, “There’s an old saying where I come from, ‘do not ask questions that you don’t want to hear the answer to’.”

Twilight shook her head, “She was asking you if you were going to attend the Hearts and Hooves Day event she was organizing for tomorrow and was going over the itinerary.”

“Ah,” Baen nodded, “Right.”

Rainbow Dash just stared at him, “You’re not going are you?”

Baen thought on it, “Well Octavia has mentioned that she doesn’t want me to, and I quote, ‘darken her home every waking day and should get out more.’”

Applejack nodded, “Words to live by.”

Fluttershy glanced around, “I don’t mean to pry but Baen, but could you tell us why we’re at the train station….If it’s not too much trouble that is.”

Baen shook his head, “Not at all. Coco’s coming to visit.”

All six mares gasped and became much higher spirited. Soon the telltale whistle of the train was heard and soon it slowed to a stop. The doors opened to reveal a familiar face that Baen and the girls had not seen it quite some time. Coco smiled when she noticed who was waiting for them.

“Hey everypony,” she beamed as the mares stood to meet her, “It’s good to see you all again.”

Coco glanced to Baen whom looked up and gave a small smile; she blushed at that which the girls took notice of. Baen hopped off form the bench and approached the group.

“Greetings Coco,” his smile was still present, “you look well.”

Coco was still blushing, “Um….thanks…you too.”

Baen sighed as he glanced around at the early morning sun, “I’m really sorry, but I have a few things I have to do today. But rest assured Coco we will,” he glanced at Rainbow and air quoted, “’hang’, later. Until then.”

Baen quickly trotted off as he went about his errands.

Coco smiled as the girls began going over what was going to happen that day. After a short walk around the town’s main square they adjourned to a local shop that served the best milkshakes. As they sat, Rarity unfurled her plans.

“Firstly I have a whole new look for the town for the occasion,” she beamed with pride at the diagram laid on the table, “I’ve worked overtime to make the heart gem that will be atop the town hall. It will be paramount to the whole event. When the setting sun hit’s it just right,” she contained a joyful squeal, “it will be magnificent!”

Twilight stared with awe at her friend’s hard work, “Wow Rarity, you went the whole nine yards!”

“And more darling,” Rarity smiled, “and more.”

Pinkie Pie bounced in her seat, “Rarity! Tell them about the main attraction!”

Rarity slowed the party mare, “I was getting to that. The peseta résistance is a moonlit dance under the stars for couples; the moon light coupled with the setting sunlight will provide the Heart Gem’s light source for the event. Just wait until you see it!”

Rainbow Dash gagged slightly, “A dance? Really? Couldn’t you have picked something more….you know. Less mushy?”

Applejack smirked, “What’s the matter Dash? Fraid you won’t find a stallion to go with?”

The pegasus became red faced as her friends laughed. The laughing slowly subsided as they noted Coco staring into space.

“Coco darling?”

Coco glanced at Rarity, “Is something bothering you?”

Coco shook her head, “No no, nothing’s wrong, I was just…thinking…”

“About Baen?”

Coco smiled slightly, “Yeah…,” she trailed off and looked with shock at a smirking Rainbow Dash.

Coco’s face became a veritable red tomato, “T-that’s not…I m-mean.”

Rarity was not too amused by Rainbow’s escapade and stared at her with a scowl, “Rainbow Dash, shame on you!”

“Hey I was just messing around,” Rainbow floated down and sat with a slightly annoyed expression at being scolded for a joke.

Applejack stared at Coco, “Hold on a sec. Are ya sayin that you like Baen?”

Coco became a deeper red as Fluttershy gave her reassuring pats on her back, “It’s okay Coco, we’re all friends here.”

Twilight nodded, “Exactly, nothing we say will reach the ears of anypony.”

Coco sighed, “Yes, Baen is the second reason I came to visit and….,” she quietly added, “I think I am starting to like him.”

Rarity and the girls were silent as Coco looked at them worriedly, “What?”

Rarity shook her head, “Oh it’s nothing but,” she noticed the barbarian outside the shop haggling at a nearby stall, “Why Baen darling?”

Applejack nodded, “I don’t wanna sound unsupportive but he’s so…”

Rainbow raised a hoof, “Brash.”

“Bullheaded,” added Twilight.

Rarity nodded, “And he’s a little too,” she saw Baen yelling at the now cowering stall vendor, “violent is the word that comes to mind.”

Coco nodded, “I know that. But he and the rest of you helped me out of a dark situation with Suri. His support and words gave me the courage to stand up and say enough,” she smiled at the mares, “and all of you and the way you are gave me the strength to follow through, plus he’s kind of charming,” she stared dreamily out the window, “in his own way.”

Baen now had the vendor in a head lock as several ponies tried to pry him off the vendor.

Rarity coughed slightly, “Well Coco. Though I admit there is a slight ruggedness to him, what exactly brought this on?”

Coco smiled slighty and sipped her shake, “Well it was when I first met him and we talked, I felt a sort of…warmth…being near him. A sense of safety and strength,” she fidgeted slightly, “at first I didn’t think much of it. But when I found him in the rain the night that you would be at Hinny of The Hills and he spoke to me and encouraged me,” she blushed lightly, “I knew what that feeling was.”

Baen pointed out that the vendor outside was ripping ponies off and the other customers joined in his physical abuse of the scamming vendor.

Rarity touched her heart and placed a hoof on Coco’s, “Well we’re here for you darling,” her eyes then lit up and spoke in a sing song tone, “Why don’t you ask Baen to the Hearts and Hooves dance tomorrow afternoon? I think it might be the perfect fan to turn this spark of love into a fire!”

Coco rubbed her front hooves together nervously, “I don’t know….”

Applejack smiled, “Don’t you worry your pretty little head none, we’ll help ya out!”

The girls voiced their agreement as Baen chopped the stall in half outside.

Rarity and the girls flinched slightly at the display as Baen happily trotted away.

Twilight smiled nervously, “Though…I think different methods might be a wise decision.”

Coco raised an eyebrow, “Different methods?”

Twilight nodded, “Baen is….new to the concept of courting mares. He’s…”

Rainbow butted in, “He pretty much is used to walking up to a mare and asking them to buck him and they say yes.”

Coco widened her eyes, “Oh.”

Rarity nodded, “Yes, we shall commence operation, ‘CocoBaen,’ tomorrow. Today we must have a ladies day around town!”

And it was thus, the die had been cast, Operation CocoBaen would commence the following morning after a spectacular ladies day. And spectacular it was.

*

The following morning, all seven mares decided to name Carousel Boutique as their HQ for the day’s operation. They all agreed to offer their own methods to try and help Coco ask Baen to the dance that late afternoon. Rarity and the girls sat around and analyzed a map that had been laid out that day of Baen’s locations around town. Vinyl and Cheerilee made sure he would show up at each.

Twilight nodded, “Alright everypony, let’s get this started.”

They all nodded as Coco shifted nervously, “Are you sure this will work?”

Pinkie Pie nodded, “Of course! Never doubt the masters!”

“Masters,” Coco raised an eyebrow

The girls bashfully rubbed the back of their heads in unison.

Rarity smiled none the less, “Trust us darling, this will work!”

Coco nodded, “Alright, what should we try first?”

Twilight raised her hoof, “Well, though I haven’t had much experience personally, try complementing him. Point out things about him. Once you do that, try asking him.”

Coco became determined, “Got it!”

The mare then rushed from the boutique.

Rarity nodded at Twilight, “Good idea Twilight. First, start simple.”

*

Coco stood frozen in place as she saw Baen glancing around at the decorated square. Streamers of pink with white sparkling hearts embroidered upon them were connected in-between lampposts. The fountain had been enchanted to have sparkling pink water and the stone becoming shining marble. Baen whistled slightly and took note that a good section in front of Town Hall had been cleared and smoothed out for a dance procession. Coco inhaled to calm her nerves and approached Baen, clearing her throat; Baen glanced over after being alerted to her presence.

That same smile he had caused Coco to blush furiously, “Hi Coco, fancy meeting you here today. How was your….ladies day…yesterday?”

Coco started sweating nervously, “Well….it was good.”

Baen nodded as he turned to walk back to Vinyl’s to grab a few things only for Coco to blurt out, “BAEN YOU HAVE A NICE FLANK!”

Baen stopped and turned to look at a dust cloud shaped like Coco. Baen raised an eyebrow as the cloud faded; glancing at his flank he prodded it slightly and shrugged before leaving.

*

Coco was staring into space as she retold what had transpired to the girls, “And then I ran away.”

Rainbow shook her head, “Wow.”

Fluttershy raised her hoof, “Can….can I offer my suggestion?”

Coco nodded as she hid her face in her hooves, “Please.”

“Alright,” Fluttershy tapped her chin, “Try helping him out with something, show him that you take an interest in what he’s doing and help him with it. That will show Baen that you’re compassionate and will accept whatever he does.”

Pinkie Pie jumped to Fluttershy’s side, “Oh Oh! Combo! Make that nice thing a gift!”

Coco nodded slowly as she raised her head, “But what should I get him?”

Pinkie smiled, “I have just the thing!”

*

Coco was happily carrying a package in her mouth. It was tied by a pink ribbon with red wrapping paper and she could already see her destination before her. The house of Vinyl loomed before her as she gently placed the package on the porch. Smiling to herself once more she knocked on the front door and waited. But then she noticed the card she intended to have attached was a bit of a ways down the road. Rushing for the card she turned around upon retrieving it….only to see Baen take the present inside and shut the door.

Coco gave a muffled cry of anguish mixed with anger.

*

Rainbow Dash tried her best to coax Coco out of the closet, “Come on, why can’t you just give him the card?”

Coco wailed back, “It would be too embarrassing!!!!”

Applejack nodded, “Well I guess it’s mah turn,” she knocked on the closet door, “Coco, why don’t you just tell him what you want? I hear most stallions like a mare who’s up front with their feelings.”

Rainbow Dash pushed her out of the way, “YEAH! Just be blunt like Baen is, tell him straight out!”

Coco was silent before she opened the door, “Alright…I’ll try.

*

Baen sat on a bench in the park and stared at the high noon sun. Sighing, he enjoyed the feeling of the sun on his coat and smiled in content. His eyes then turned to reveal Coco Pommel who took a seat beside him with that same blush she wore almost all day and refused to meet his gaze. Baen smiled at her presence.

“Hello Coco,” he gazed at the sky, “clear day isn’t it?”

Coco nodded, “yes it is.”

Baen smiled as he continued to enjoy the warmth.

Coco inhaled to calm her nerves and reached deep down, “Baen,” the barbarian glanced slightly at her, “I want you…,” she trailed off into a mild squeak.

Baen blinked in confusion, “Want me to what?”

Coco became frantic as her face started to turn red in embarrassment, “Um….to,” she gave a forced toothy smile, “enjoy the sun!”

She zoomed off causing more confusion from Baen as he munched on a red frosted cupcake. The cupcake came with several others earlier in an anonymous present on the front doorstep.

*

Coco was sitting in silence scribbling on paper as the girls stared at her in silence. She had been that way since she had arrived back an hour ago. The six mares were getting worried since she had not spoken, when Rarity approached, Coco turned to her with her finished scribble.

“Rarity,” she showed her the sketch, “how long will it take you to make this?”

Rarity stared in astoundment at the picture, “Um…possibly a good hour or two. But whatever for darling?”

Coco smiled, “Simple, I’ve figured out that the best way to ask Baen out is to be like him in terms of bravery and status.”

Twilight and the girls stared at the drawing, “But Coco, don’t you think you should just ask him the way you are? You don’t have to change yourself to-“

Coco cut her off quickly, “Trust me, I can handle this.”

*

Baen stared out at the celebration as pony couples gathered themselves and spoke sweet nothings and odd ramblings that made the barbarian gag. He rolled his eyes and wondered why he had to come here, but his attention was turned to somepony that had arrived. Glancing to the side, his jaw dropped. The mare was outfitted in form fitting shining silver armor, the way the armor hugged her accentuated her figure quite well. Her legs were in white silk like socks with the trim folded down slightly at the top of each leg. On her hooves were shining silver armored shoes. Her shoulder pads were shaped to resemble folded crossed wings. The battle skirt on the armor almost framed her backside but also covered it ever so slightly. This made Baen’s eye twitch. Her hair was styled in a two toned bluish curled cascade which matched her tail. Sapphire eye shadow was upon her eyes, though one was covered, the mare winked at the barbarian who blushed like a school colt.

“Greetings fair warrior,” she sauntered over to Baen and seated herself beside him, “tis a wonderful day is it not?”

Baen slowly nodded and gulped at how silky her words were, “Y-yes.”

The mare giggled slightly, “I bear no ill will fair warrior. I’ve come this day to offer a proposition to thou.”

Baen blinked for a moment, “It’s ‘thee’. “

The mare blinked and her seductive stare abruptly vanished, “It is?”

Baen narrowed his eyes as he attempted to see through the mare, “Yes. Might I ask who you are?”

The mare chuckled nervously and went to trot away but instead started to back up, “Um….nopony important I assure you.”

Baen advanced on her, “Did Twilight and her band put you up to this?”

“Y-yes, I mean n-no,” the mare lost her footing and fell backwards into the fountain.

Baen stared on in shock as everypony gasped, “Coco?”

The mare’s two toned bluish mane was turned straight by the water as the makeup washed off to reveal a shamed Coco Pommel.

“Coco,” Baen helped her out of the fountain, “what is all of this?”

Coco looked to the side, “A sad, sad, attempt.”

“An attempt at what?”

Coco looked at Baen, “This whole day has been a disaster. I’ve been trying to ask you to go to this Hearts and Hooves day dance with me. But every time I try, I get nervous or something goes wrong,” she sighed, “I should’ve just asked you straight away if you wanted to go to the dance with me and you would say-“

“Sure.”

“Exactly. I mean it makes sense since,” she stopped talking, “Wait…did you say yes?”

Baen grinned and nodded, “Of course. Why wouldn’t I? I said we would do something together did I not?”

Coco gave a warm smile in return, “Thank you so much. It means so much,” she chuckled as she looked down at herself, “But first I got to get changed.”

Baen shook his head, “No no,” he smiled, “this is a dance after all and you need formal attire,” his smile turned warm, “and this attire is beyond formal, it’s a magnificent masterpiece. Whoever made the plans is an artist of the gods themselves”

Coco’s face became red as happy tears came to her eyes, “Thank you Baen.”

Baen then escorted Coco to the dance floor after she quickly dried her mane and tail.

The sun then set as the light caused a cascade of pinks and reds of all shades to grace the sky as ponies below ooed and awed. The couples that danced below couldn’t be happier. The six elements of harmony noted the Operation was a success as Rarity pointed frantically at the sky.

“SEE!!! BRILLIANT!!!”

*

Soon her days were up and Coco bid farewell to her Ponyville friends and resident barbarian. After the dance, Baen had made true with his word and spent time with the mare doing little things. But the whole time, Coco would complement, help, and even take an interest in Baen’s activities which he didn’t mind in the slightest.

Twilight then approached Baen and smiled, “So…have fun with Coco, Baen?”

Nodded slowly, “Yes. I must say, she’s the best pen pal I could ask for.”

As the barbarian trotted off, the six mares facehoofed as one.

Rarity shook her head, “Coco, just what do you see in him?”

Author's Note:

Modern mares and the modern rituals of courting a stallion. This concept flies right over our hero's head.