• Published 10th Jan 2014
  • 4,129 Views, 118 Comments

The Incredibly Loyal Heart Of A Winning Pony - Hallowed



What if the Winningverse's Cloud Kicker went with Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie to retrieve the Elements of Harmony instead of Rainbow Dash?

  • ...
20
 118
 4,129

Chapter One: Duty

I’ll say this for Rainbow Dash: She has the biggest ego in Ponyville, and the fact that she can break up clouds faster than anyone else certainly doesn't hurt her ego. But the rest of us aren't as lucky. I flew down to a low-hanging cloud over Ponyville and stretch out on my back for a quick break. Whew.

Of course, since her biggest dream is to be one of the Wonderbolts, she spends a lot of her time practicing various aerial stunts so she can impress them enough to be offered a spot on the team. And, of course, her practicing tends to result in a variety of crashes. And, of course, from what I heard her latest attempt at what was described to me as "some sort of corkscrewing dive-bombing somersaulting thing" had the result of crashing into an innocent bystander, injuring her wing badly enough that there's no way she'll be busting clouds for the time being. And, of course, the innocent bystander was Raindrops, another pegasus on the weather team, who is also out of action as a result of the crash. So we're short two pegasi on the day before the Summer Sun Celebration, when Princess Celestia herself will be attending to raise the sun from Ponyville, and is sending her own personal student to oversee the preparations. Of course.

I do hope Rainbow's going to be okay. When I heard the news last night, I heard she also got a concussion from the crash, and with our history, a big blow to the head is the last thing she should be getting. And as much as she loves to fly and as much as she wants to be a Wonderbolt, a permanent injury to her wing would be the absolute worst. But I know not to worry: Rainbow Dash may be lots of things, like lazy, rash, and egotistical, but she's also resilient and determined. She'll bounce back from this crash and be doing something else foolish soon enough.

In the meantime, the work still needs to get done. While she's never made it official, I'm pretty much her second in command on the weather team. So, in Rainbow Dash's place, I know I need to help make sure the work's done. Making the boss look good makes me, and the team, look good. Since we needed clear skies for the Celebration, Rainbow's plan was to take care of Ponyville while the rest of us covered the outskirts of the town like Sweet Apple Acres, who still needed rain in the middle of summer. So I decided that instead of Rainbow covering Ponyville, Blossomforth and I would work to get the skies clear in town while the rest of the team would work to cover the outskirts of town. It would take longer, but it should get done in time.

But I'd been bucking clouds for hours and even cut lunch short to keep at it, and we still had hours more to go. The weather coming from the Everfree had been worse than normal, and the skies were still pretty thick with clouds. But I needed a break, and I stretched out on my little cloud and appreciated the pale blue sky of summer.

Until I heard a young male voice below me saying, "Hmm, there's supposed to be a pegasus pony named Rainbow Dash clearing the clouds." followed by a female voice replying, "Well, she's not doing a very good job, is she?" I flipped over on my cloud to take a peek over the edge, and saw the speakers: A young unicorn mare that I didn't know, and... huh. That looked like a baby dragon. Now that's not something you see every day. I glided down to the ground, waving to them as I landed nearby and trotted over. I didn't want to crash into them, after all.

The unicorn smiled awkwardly as I approached and I got a good look at her. Purple coat, indigo mane with purple and pink streaks, and bright violet eyes. Cute, and judging from the smile, not very familiar with the whole social interaction thing. The baby dragon was also purple, with green spines and belly scales. They were obviously here together, but I'd definitely not seen them around town before.

The unicorn spoke first, a bit too formally, "Good afternoon. My name is Twilight Sparkle, and I have been sent by Princess Celestia to help oversee the Summer Sun Celebration preparations. I was told that a pegasus named Rainbow Dash was in charge of clearing the sky, have you seen her?"

I smiled politely to the unicorn, who had to be Princess Celestia's personal student that we'd been told to expect, and said, "I'm Cloud Kicker, and it's very nice to meet you, Miss Sparkle. I'm afraid you won't see Rainbow Dash around today, she's in the hospital with a busted wing."

The unicorn's eyes widened at the news, while the little dragon piped up with, "Whoa. What happened to her?"

Twilight looked down at her companion and gently rebuked him, "Spike! You shouldn't pry into other ponies business!" like an older sister scolding her younger brother. Then, her eyes looked back up and she shyly asked, "So... what did happen to her?"

Staring at Twilight disbelievingly, Spike deadpanned "Oh. Don't pry into other ponies business, huh?" while I laughed at the quick wit of the little dragon and the embarrassed look on Twilight's face. She's definitely cute, especially when she's flustered.

After I’d stopped chuckling, I replied, "No no, it's nothing too scandalous, especially if you know the boss. She just had a bit of a crash is all. Trying what was described as "some sort of corkscrewing dive-bombing somersaulting thing" to me and she didn't pull up in time."

Twilight tilted her head to the side, obviously trying to process what she heard in a logical and sensible manner, and Celestia help me, she'd gone from cute to absolutely adorkable. I'm not even sure that's a word, but I'm using it! After several moments, she sputtered out "But... why would somepony do something that reckless?"

Ah, a question for the ages. I shrug with an easy smile and said "You'd have to know Rainbow to know that, trust me. She's got a good heart, but sometimes she gets an idea to try something and doesn't think it all the way through." Which is an understatement of all understatements, but it's good to not talk bad about the boss.

Spike snorts at that, and muttered "Gets an idea in her head and doesn't think it through. Who else do I know like that?" looking at his companion while she grins sheepishly again. I may have to see if she's interested in a little fun after our work is done, she's too cute to not even try. I get the feeling that she doesn't get around much, though, which complicates things. I'd hate to give her wrong impressions, especially since she's from out of town.

After a few moments, Twilight said, "So what about the skies? If Rainbow Dash isn't here, who's in charge of the weather teams for today?"

The talk of the skies got me back on track. "That'd be me, I suppose. The boss never got around to picking a weather team leader, but I'm pretty much the pony in charge until someone gets officially named." I said. That's one of the things I do wish Rainbow had done: Put a chain of command in place. She's always assumed that she'll always be there to run things since she likes to do things firsthoof, but this proves why you have the chain: In case you aren't.

Twilight nodded and replied, "So the skies are still pretty cloudy. Do you have a plan for getting the weather ready?"

I nodded back at her and explained, "Definitely. With Rainbow Dash and a couple other ponies out of action, we've kind of had to scramble to catch up. Even though we're short-staffed today, we've got the weather teams working hard to get the skies clear. It's going to take us a bit longer than we'd like, but the skies should get done in time, I promise."

Twilight smiled at the news, and said "Great, that's good to hear! Spike and I should get out of your hooves so you can get back to work. It was a pleasure to meet you, Cloud Kicker."

I smile back and nod, and replied “It was nice to meet you too, Miss Sparkle. I’m sure I’ll see you around town later!”

She started to turn to walk away, but she stopped and asked "Wait. Cloud Kicker. As in the Canterlot Kicker clan?" I nodded again, and she continued, "Wow, I’ve met a bunch of your relatives in the Guard! I don't know if I've ever met a Kicker that wasn't in the Guard."

Ouch. That hits one of the old sore spots for me, and I think she realized that she put her hoof in her mouth a bit, as she hastily added, "I'm sorry, that was rude of me! I'm sure you have your reasons why you're not in the Guard!" then even more hastily blurted out, "I'm sorry, that was rude too!"

I smiled and chuckled a bit, to help calm her down and because she's just too adorkable not to. Oh, what the heck, let's test the waters. "No no, that's okay Twilight. I do have my reasons. How about we meet up for dinner after I'm done clearing the skies, about 8 o'clock, and I'd be happy to let you get to know me, and even happier to get to know you better too." I winked, pouring on the Cloud Kicker irresistible charm.

The offer seemed to take her aback a bit, and she stammered "Oh, meet you for dinner, um... well..." before she's interrupted by a loud voice behind me.

"CLOUD KICKER! Figures I'd catch you slacking off! Hit on mares on your own time, we've got too many clouds to break up for you to be spending time thinking about seducing ponies!" I turned, and saw a particular pegasus with a pink and green mane glaring at me with her blue eyes from the cloud I had taken my brief siesta on. Oh Blossomforth, you have to pick the absolute worst times to flankblock me.

Twilight blinked a couple times, hearing the words hit on mares and blushed bright red before she blurted out "ImsorryIneedtobegoingnow!" and dashed off towards Town Hall, where the fashion pony Rarity was working on the decorations. Spike gaped at her rapid retreat for a moment, but quickly recovered and said, "Nice to meet you!" before he jogged after her, hollering at her to wait for him.

I sighed, and flapped my wings to bring myself alongside her cloud. "Blossom, that was Princess Celestia's personal student, and I was talking to her about the preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration. I know you're jealous when I hit on other mares and not you, but like I keep telling you, all you have to do is ask, and I'll be happy to add you to the list of bangable ponies." She's right, we've got a lot of work to do yet, but it should be one of my rules that there's always time for teasing Blossom.

The teasing got the desired effect: Blossom blushed almost enough to match Twilight Sparkle, and muttered something under her breath that I chose to believe was "Stupid Sexy Cloud Kicker" before she broke the cloud she was standing on with a quick stomp of her hoof and flew to the next cloud in line.

I laughed easily, and got back to work myself.

Author's Note:

*looks at the chapter name* Rainbow Dash: "Heh heh heh doody."

In all seriousness, this is my first fanfiction I've ever written for MLP, but when AU month was announced, this idea was put forward, took root in my head and wouldn't leave, so I decided that I needed to write it. It's been a slightly terrifying process so far, but very fun.

All the thanks in the world go out to my prereaders 621Chopsuey, Cillerenda, and devas. You're all very classy fellows.

Next time: Cloud Kicker in an awkward position in Twilight Sparkle's bedroom!