• Published 10th Jan 2014
  • 4,130 Views, 118 Comments

The Incredibly Loyal Heart Of A Winning Pony - Hallowed



What if the Winningverse's Cloud Kicker went with Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie to retrieve the Elements of Harmony instead of Rainbow Dash?

  • ...
20
 118
 4,130

Chapter Five: Allegiance

After a bit longer, we left the thickest part of the forest behind us, and finally found what we were looking for: the ancient castle of the royal pony sisters.

Twilight exclaimed, "There it is, the ruin that holds the Elements of Harmony. We made it!" and began running for it.

The rest of us followed her example after a moment, with Applejack calling ahead, "Twilight, wait for us!"

Twilight called back over her shoulder, "We're almost there!" But Twilight wasn't watching where she was going, and as I opened my mouth to warn her, she nearly ran over the edge of the gorge ahead of her, front hooves scrabbling on the cliffside to try and push herself up. I raced forward and dragged Twilight back onto solid land.

"Watch your step, Twilight, I won't always be there to catch you." I teased in maybe a little of the sultry Cloud Kicker Charm voice. Twilight tilted her head slightly to the side and gave me an odd look, but didn't comment further. I have to admit, after walking, running, working up a sweat, dealing with life-threatening and possibly apocalyptic dangers, all of it with Twilight leading our group, I could conclude Twilight Sparkle did have a very nice flank for a bookish student type of mare.

Okay libido, settle down. Time for that later.

We all looked down at the gorge separating us from the castle. At some point in the last thousand years, the bridge separating the two sides had broken and rested on our side. Pinkie Pie was the first to speak up with, "Now what?"

I dryly answered her, "Gee, it's a shame that none of us can fly." as I poked her in the ribs with a wingtip.

Pinkie giggled and said "Oh yeah!" as I swooped down to get the end of the bridge and flew back up to the other side of the gorge to reattach it.

I'd just connected one of the ropes when I heard a seductive voice purr, "I have been waiting for you, Cloud Kicker."

I spun on my hooves to see, striding out of a dense purple mist, the one mare I was hoping not to see this closely: Nightmare Moon, looking down at me with those freaky slit-pupiled eyes with disdain.

Oh buck.

I heard the five ponies behind me gasp in fear, and Twilight Sparkle cry out, "Cloud Kicker! Don't worry, we-" but looking behind me, I saw Nightmare Moon's purple mist sweeping through the chasm, cutting me off from the others.

This could be bad.

Suddenly, from just outside my field of vision, Nightmare Moon whispered in my ear, "Should you be taking your eyes off of your enemy?" On instinct, I threw myself to the side, my head whipping back around to face her as my wings flared open reflexively. Nightmare Moon laughed mockingly as she continued, "Oh, so paranoid and untrusting! What would your dear Princess think?"

Whatever response I would give to a question like that died on my lips, as I noticed something strange about the alicorn. "Weren't you taller before?" While it was hard to say from when I saw her at Town Hall, Nightmare Moon definitely looked shorter than she did before. Still taller than me, but no longer towering over me like she should have been.

Nightmare Moon snorted arrogantly and replied, "I am not truly here in body, only in spirit. If you must, think of this form as a sort of projection so that we can have a chat, just you and me. Your-", and she spit the next word like it was an obscenity, "friends are unharmed for the moment. But they won't be interfering, despite Twilight Sparkle's feeble attempts to break my barrier."

So they're still out there, and trying to get in. I tilted my head a bit, and asked, "Wait, you know who she is?" then I remembered that she used my name earlier too, and continued, "And who I am?"

Nightmare Moon laughed cruelly, the sound echoing through the dark space. "Of course I do. I have been watching you six since before you entered the forest, back at that foalish library-"

So that means she knows we're here to stop her with the Elements. Fantastic.

"-and throughout your journey in this forest. I have been trying to drive your little merry band off with subtle manipulation and deception, but you are all proving more... persistent than I expected. And your little minds are open like a book to my eyes. I know all about all of you."

"Applejack. She wears her dependence on her little apple farm on her coat, as obvious as her cutie mark. Her heart is in those trees, and when they die in my eternal night, I wonder if she will as well."

I stared at her in horror as she very casually spoke, but I could tell she wasn't trying for shock value. It was more like she was describing the weather.

She continued, "Pinkamena Pie. So happy, so joyous, working so hard to bring smiles to everypony else. She laughs at all the world, but when the world grows cold, will she keep laughing? Would it be worse if she didn't... or if she did?"

Her voice was dispassionate, but the imagery was still powerful, and shaking me to my heart. "Okay, you made your point, you can stop."

"Rarity. So giving to others to make them prettier, make them happier, make them better. So many dreams of making beautiful things for all to “ooh and aah” over. But all the beautiful things in the world will not make the sun shine. She can sacrifice all of herself, yet it will not make a difference. Not. At. All."

I shook my head, her words falling like hammer blows. Matter-of-fact. Indifferent. Cold. Like the night itself. I glared up at her and hissed, "Okay! I get it! Bad things! You don't need to rub it in!"

"Twilight Sparkle. So desperate to please her beloved Princess Celestia, so proud of all the books she's read, of all the magic she's learned. But her Princess is gone, and nothing she has learned will save her."

I was powerless to stop her, I knew that, but I also knew who was next in her list, and I knew she knew to save Eepy for last and why. But nonetheless, I lunged at her in a desperate effort to stop her. Nightmare Moon didn't even acknowledge the attack, she just sidestepped effortlessly. I yelled at her, "Please!", but she kept talking anyway, smirking all the while.

"Fluttershy. So meek, so innocent, so gentle. So weak. In the night, so many beasts grow hungry, and eventually they'll come for her, even as she tries to help them. She'll die screaming for you, Cloud Kicker, but she'll perish, alone, long before any help arrives. I doubt they'll even find her bones."

I could feel terror welling up in my heart at the thought of Eepy dying like that, I couldn't help it. But I knew she was twisting the blade intentionally to elicit a reaction, maybe even using her magic to influence my emotions, so after collecting myself, I glared back at her. "So what about me, then?"

She tossed her head imperiously, and continued, "Cloud Kicker. So eager to follow the family tradition and serve in my sister's Guard. But when the time came to commit to that path, you ran away. And you keep running. You seek solace and love and fill your bed with so many different ponies to fill that hole-"

I snapped, "All right! Get to the point! You wanted to chat, but all you're doing is rant! So what do you want from me?" At this point, I was hoping that the others could break into the barrier, or that they'd find a way around and get to the Elements while I distracted her. I might not be able to get away from Nightmare Moon, but I could keep her eyes focused on me.

Nightmare Moon narrowed her eyes, but didn't seem to take further offense at my outburst, saying "Very well. You must know that if I am here, then the Elements of Harmony are also within my reach. And even if you could get to the Elements, there is no way for you to use them. I cannot be stopped by you, by Celestia, or by anypony else. So I offer you an alternative to a pointless sacrifice." She raised her horn, and a feeling like a bucket of warm water washed over me. I suddenly felt a suit of armor materialize over my body, and when I looked down at my forelegs, I saw my coat was as black as hers.

I gaped for a moment, then stammered, "W-what is this?"

Nightmare Moon smirked, and with a flourish of her horn, a mirror appeared in front of me, large enough to see what she had done: I was wearing a suit of armor, similar to the one the Captain of Celestia’s Guard wears, but cast in black and purple metals, and with a more curving design. I realized that the change in coat color was probably her version of a uniform enchantment. Not only was my coat color now black, the bit of my mane under the helmet I could see was now a vibrant blue, like hers. My wings now more resembled those of a bat, and my ears were a different shape too, laid flat against my head at the moment. Finally, my eyes had the same slit pupils that hers did. With a proud tone to her voice, Nightmare Moon declared, "I will need to assemble a new Shadow Guard as I gather my power base, and I want you as my Captain. And your first duty will be stopping your friends from entering my castle."

I flexed my wings for a moment, seeing my reflection do the same with her bat wings, then shook my head and quietly replied, "You must be even crazier than I thought if you think I'll join you."

She scoffed, and replied, "Oh, don't dismiss the option too quickly, my Captain. I don't expect you to kill them. They are only misguided, not villains. After all, you do have such delicious feelings for 'Eepysqueak'. And there's more to consider, too."

She started walking in circles around me, her voice sickly sweet as she spoke, "You have so many friends in Ponyville: Blossomforth. Rainbow Dash. Ditzy Doo and her daughters. Lyra Heartstrings. And the others outside, of course. You could guarantee their safety and help protect them. After all, my Captain, your word is law in this new Equestria. Help keep the peace, and they'll live long and happy lives with you by their side."

"Not to mention your family, my Captain. So many family members serve in Celestia's Guard: Cousins. Aunts. Uncles. Parents. In fact..." Nightmare Moon flourished her horn again, and a section of the barrier shimmered and began showing images of several wings of pegasi guards flying in full battle gear. I recognized a few of them, but the image zoomed in on my parents at the head of the formation. Nightmare Moon continued, "Celestia's Guard had to scramble when the sun did not rise, and they heard no word from Ponyville. Your father was the first officer on hand to travel to Ponyville with a group of pegasi to investigate, and your mother refused to be left behind when they heard a rumor that six ponies, including one matching your description, went into the Everfree to stop Nightmare Moon. That was my doing, of course. They'll be here within the next couple hours, and when they get here, they'll try to stop me and perish in the attempt. But you can stop their needless slaughter, my Captain."

Whispering now in my ear, she continued, "You disappointed all of them, you know. You had such a bright future ahead of you, but you ran away. In front of all of them, at graduation, no less. In front of all their peers, embarrassing them so very much. Thanks to you, I know that Clan Kicker was one of the only pegasi clans to support Celestia during the Lunar Rebellion. If your clan challenges me, if they support Celestia's side again, I'll have no choice but to destroy them all, even the youngest colts and fillies. Even if some of them survive, Clan Kicker will be no more. Dissolved, written out of the history books. But you can save them all. Lead my Shadow Guard. You can convince them to join us, and once again they'll support the winning side of this conflict. And they will only be the first ones, but they will be richly rewarded for it. They will be the foundation for the peaceful future of Equestria under my reign. And you'll be the hero leading them into that glorious future. The First Captain of the Shadow Guard, Cloud Kicker! The hero that saved the Kicker clan when they teetered on the edge of destruction! The hero that helped to usher in a new age in Equestria! They will speak of you the same way that they speak of Shadow Kicker herself!"

She stood in front of me now, kindly smiling at me. "I offer you not only glory and honor, and riches beyond your dreams, but the chance to help save them all. Your mother, Nimbus Gust. Your father, Tornado Kicker. Your little sister, Alula. And all the rest of your family and friends. Only you can save them all, here and now, and you don't want to let them down again, do you? Just think how devastated your parents will be when they arrive to find that you had a chance to save yourself and them... and you refused? And when your little sister finds out that in one night, she's become an orphan because you chose to doom your parents? Will you let them down again, my Captain? Will you run away from your duty to your family?"

I stood, head down, for a long moment. When I finally spoke, I was as quiet as Eepysqueak. "I..."

Nightmare Moon leaned in, a triumphant smile on her face, her head less than a foot away from mine. "Yes, my Captain?"

My hoof lashed out, swinging in a wide arc, catching Nightmare Moon full in the side of the face. I was very glad that the armor I was wearing was actually real and not an illusion, because the heavy boot at the end of my hoof made a very satisfying clang when it met her helmet as I decked her as hard as I feathering could.

Nightmare Moon staggered back, trying to keep her hooves under her, and I could actually see her eyes unfocus for a moment before her blazing gaze could turn back to me. "You dare...?"

That was all she had the chance to get out, because I was already in the air and diving fast towards her, whipping my hoof around in another punch at her head. This wasn't Krav Pega, just a wild haymaker with all the strength my upper body could muster. She tried to dodge this one, but my hoof still connected with another solid thwack, and the alicorn recoiled and fell in a heap.

I took to the air again, even as my wings complained still, flying in as wide of a circle as I could manage within the barrier, working hard to gain speed. Nightmare Moon staggered back to her feet, and I could see that she was pissed. She fired a purple beam of energy from her horn, but I was able to dodge it, and as she turned to keep a bead on my position, I dove and turned in a sharp arc. Her eyes widened for a moment, but couldn't get out of the way before my front hooves slammed into her side with all the force gravity and I could muster.

I felt the impact shoot through my front hooves all the way to my spine, but Nightmare Moon's body became a ragdoll as I could feel something in that body snap under the impact. Her form tumbled end over end for a moment, before disappearing into a cloud of purple mist. I picked myself up off the ground and felt the armor disappear into the same purple smoke. A quick glance showed that my coat and mane were back to normal, to my relief.

After a moment, the part of the barrier nearest the castle flexed, and the mist formed into a giant version of Nightmare Moon's head, roaring at near deafening volume"You DARE to strike a goddess?!"

I glared up at her and yelled up at her, "I dare?! You dare to try to use my stupid mistakes, my family, against me?" I took a deep breath and continued, full of fury, "Sure, I'm not perfect. But through it all, I've always tried to do what's right. And standing up to you is right. You're a monster, Nightmare Moon. Not just because you want to bring around eternal night, or overthrow Princess Celestia. But because you just don't understand us ponies, and you will never understand me!

We're going to stop you, Nightmare Moon, and you can threaten me with my friends and family's safety all you want, but I'd never betray Equestria. I'd never betray my family and my clan. And I'd never betray my friends! You can think that we're too weak to stand up to you, and individually, maybe we are. But I believe in that stubborn and steadfast apple farmer. I believe in that peculiar pink party pony. I believe in that little miss beautiful fancy pants fashion designer."

The way that Nightmare Moon twisted the knife with her words about Eepy earlier fueled my defiant anger at the alicorn as I shouted at the top of my lungs, "I will always believe in Fluttershy!"

I took a deep breath and finished, "And that cute little unicorn mare from Canterlot that came into town and brought us together to stand against you? I believe in Twilight Sparkle! So feathering do your worst, you nag!"

Nightmare Moon's image glowered at me for another long moment, before finally ominously uttering, "So be it." and disappearing, along with the purple smoke. I let loose the long breath I hadn’t realized I'd been holding.

That actually went better than I expected it to.

I turned around and reattached the other rope of the bridge, and watched as the other five ponies swiftly crossed the gorge. As they crossed I realized that without the adrenaline of standing up to an avatar of an insane immortal demigod alicorn, by Shadow, I was tired. But we had to keep going.

Then I realized all five of the ponies were looking at me oddly. Applejack was looking at me with what I thought was admiration, Rarity was blushing and looking at me coyly, Pinkie was grinning even more than usual, Fluttershy was hiding behind her hair, but I think she was blushing and smiling too, and Twilight Sparkle was giving me that same odd questioning look, but was smiling and blushing a little too. And none of them were asking me if I was okay or what happened.

Oh. Oh horseapples. I asked, "Uh, did you all hear any of that?"

Four of the five ponies made a show of clearing their throats and finding some other direction to look other than at me. But you can always trust Pinkie Pie to not pay any attention to social niceties. "Yeppers!"

I swallowed and asked, pretty sure of the answer. "Pinkie? Help a friend out, what parts did you hear?"

"Oh, the part starting with how she said 'Blargh I am evil you shouldn't take your eyes off of me!' to the part where she said 'Blargh I am evil so be it!' Does that help?"

I blinked and asked, "So, you heard all of it, then." Pinkie nodded enthusiastically. "Oh. Super. Thanks, Pinkie." I'm sure I was blushing as red as Big Mac.

But suddenly, running up from the back of the group, Eepysqueak wrapped her forelegs around my neck in a gentle, but firm hug. I relaxed and hugged her back, and standing there, the world seemed like a much happier place.

After a moment, Twilight Sparkle cleared her throat and said, "Well, c'mon! We're almost there!" and we started walking towards the castle itself.

As we walked, Applejack said, "You did good, sugarcube. Ah never doubted you for a moment."

Rarity quietly added, "And you made us all so very proud. You should have seen Fluttershy tear up, it was so touching."

I looked back at her walking behind me, and smiled a little.

Author's Note:

Well! THERE'S a difference between Rainbow and Cloud! Rainbow will say "thanks but no thanks", Cloud Kicker will deck somepony. :rainbowlaugh:

We're almost there! There is one more chapter in the main story, and a bonus chapter after that. That said, the last chapter and the bonus chapter are gonna be posted together (over ten thousand words!), so it may take a while before it's ready for posting. Not 11-months-while, to be sure. :twilightblush:

As always, major major thanks go to my pre-readers 621Chopsuey and Devas. They are the best. Seriously, I had a grammar error that got found that made me wonder if I was even fluent in English. :facehoof:

Next time: Twilight Sparkle confesses her feelings for Cloud Kicker!