• Published 10th Jan 2014
  • 4,129 Views, 118 Comments

The Incredibly Loyal Heart Of A Winning Pony - Hallowed



What if the Winningverse's Cloud Kicker went with Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie to retrieve the Elements of Harmony instead of Rainbow Dash?

  • ...
20
 118
 4,129

Chapter Four: Commitment

We wasted little time before we headed towards the Everfree Forest. Though I could tell that the other five ponies were scared, they were putting on a brave face. Not that I could have blamed them, since I was putting on a brave face of my own. Going into the untamed depths of the Everfree to fight the mad alicorn of the night with the student of Princess Celestia, a dressmaker, an animal caretaker, an apple farmer, and a baker/party planner isn't how I expected to spend my early morning, but when duty calls, the Kickers answer. (Most of the time, at least.) And me keeping calm will help all the other ponies here do the same.

Well, except Fluttershy. When I said that everypony was putting on a brave face, that might have been an exaggeration in her case. Or you could have said that it was total horseapples. Fluttershy was at the back of the line, and looking over my shoulder at her, I could easily see that she was terrified. Eepysqueak lived on the edge of the Everfree after all, and she knew how dangerous it could be inside there, but she was coming along anyway.

She was separated enough from the rest of the group that I thought that I could talk to her without embarrassing her further. If she's this scared now, how bad would it get once we were actually in danger? So I slowed my pace to let her catch up to me, and quietly said "Hey Fluttershy, how are you doing?"

Fluttershy eep'd and turned towards me, obviously not realized I'd walked up next to her until I'd spoken. "Oh, Cloud Kicker! I didn't see you there. I'm - I'm okay. A bit tired, but it's late. And I'm shivering because it's a little cold. I'm not scared at all!" she stammered out in one long breath, then immediately eep'd again and turned her eyes to the ground. Yeah. Not scared at all. Got it.

I sighed and replied, "Listen, Eepysqueak, we all know this is gonna be dangerous and we've got a lot of ponies going already. Nopony would blame you not wanting to come-"

Which is as far as I got before Fluttershy, still looking down, actually interrupted me by quietly but very firmly saying, "No."

I blinked in astonishment. "Wait, what?"

Fluttershy looked at me, and Shadow as my witness, there was almost a literal fire in her eyes. It almost felt like my mother glaring me down when she caught me sneaking a hooffull of cookies. She said, "I'm not running away. Nightmare Moon might be selfish in wanting eternal night, but that's going to cause more harm than just keeping things dark. Plants need the sunlight to grow, and the plant-eaters need the plants, and the meat-eaters need the plant-eaters. We all need to do our part to make things right again for ponies and all the other animals. I know it's going to be dangerous, but just because I'm not a tough pony like Applejack, or went to West Hoof like you, or learned magic under Princess Celestia like Twilight, doesn't mean that I can't help. I can help, and I want to help. I want to help make sure everyone will see another sunrise." Fluttershy nodded confidently.

With a warm smile, and no small amount of shock, I replied, "Wow Fluttershy, I'm really impressed-"

Fluttershy then blurted out, "Oh no! I interrupted you! I'm sorry! And then I interrupted you again! I'm sorry again! Eep!" and shrank back, blushing terribly. Oh Eepysqueak. Two steps forward, one step back.

I chuckled, and said "It's all right, Fluttershy. I won't worry about you, it seems like you've made your mind up. Just remember that I've got your back too, y'know?" Fluttershy gave me a small smile at that. "Though, you should watch out. Use some mane and coat dye and you'd be the new Rainbow Dash!" I winked at her and made my way back up the line of ponies. Behind me, I heard her gasp in shock, then giggle. It made me really happy to hear Eepy laughing. Things were still weird between us, and they probably would be afterwards, but the sound of her laughing gave me hope that maybe they wouldn't always be.

The other four ponies in the procession apparently weren't listening to our conversation, though I could see Rarity quietly talking to Twilight Sparkle, though Twilight didn't seem to be paying much attention. After a moment, Applejack looked back at me, and slowed her own pace to let me catch up to her, saying "Hey, Cloud Kicker. Ah need ta ask you a question."

I nodded my agreement, and she continued, "Ah know why Twilight's going to get the Elements, and Ah know why Ah'm goin’ too: She's mah friend, but the farm is mah family's livelihood. Even if she wasn't goin', Ah would be because mah trees need the sun to grow. But why are you goin'?" She looked at me with suspicion. "It's not just to brag later to try and seduce ponies like you said back at the library, is it? Cause if that's the case, Ah don't think you should be coming. This is serious business to some of us, not just fer foolin' around like you do."

Well. She doesn't have a problem with the "brutal" kind of honesty, that's for sure. I tried to rein in my anger, because I knew from her perspective and her upbringing, my attitude on banging and the way I ran away from my family's expectations was anathema to her. I replied, "I know where you're coming from, Applejack, and I'm taking this as seriously as you are. You know I went to West Hoof, right?" After Applejack nodded, I continued, "Duty and responsibility are both big things at West Hoof, and for my family in particular. I can't stand by the sidelines and watch other ponies go into danger. If you all went into the Everfree without me, and got hurt or worse when I could have prevented it, I'd never forgive myself. Like I said back at the library, if the Elements are the best hope to stop Nightmare Moon, then it's my duty as a Kicker to help find them."

Applejack looked unconvinced, but I continued, "I know we don't get along a lot, but being on the weather team, we do interact a lot, and I'd still like to call you a friend. Sure, maybe not one I'm likely to hit the bars with, but still, I'm just as worried about your farm as you are. I know your apple orchards mean the world to you and your family, and I'd hate to see your family in trouble. So if I can help, then why wouldn't I?"

As I talked, Applejack was scrutinizing my face for signs that I was lying, and after I finished, she cautiously asked, "You mean that? About worrying about mah kin and our farm, and about not wanting to see ponies get hurt?"

I nodded, and said, "Yeah, of course. A big part of being in the Guard, or training to be in the Guard, is helping ponies. And we all have to work together, like the weather team and you on the farm. I'd much rather be friends with decent ponies like you than be at each others throats all the time. And I'd much rather be in the Everfree with friends than five random ponies."

Applejack seemed to consider that for a moment, then nodded, seemingly satisfied. I held up a hoof, awkward as that was while walking. "What do you say, Applejack? Friends?"

After a moment, she met my hoofbump. "All right, Cloud Kicker. Friends. But yer still not allowed to try and have yer way with anypony in mah family!"

I made a show of letting my ears droop and dejectedly saying, "Darn, you thwarted my plan. Oh well, I guess I can live with that." and winked at her.

Applejack narrowed her eyes at me again, and then surprised me by laughing easily, the sound carrying through the dark morning, and after she stopped laughing, she said "Yer all right, sugarcube. But yer still gonna have to stay away from mah brother. We aint got time for yer kind of shenanigans on the farm."

I laughed and nodded my agreement but couldn't resist calling out over my shoulder as I trotted away, "Just make sure Big Mac knows that, too. Not my fault if he comes to me!" Applejack sputtered a moment, then shook her head, chuckling to herself. Wow, two for two on getting along with ponies better. For being about to go into terrifying danger and quite possible certain doom, my day's really looking up.

I walked by Pinkie Pie bouncing along with her eyes closed. Without opening her eyes, turning her head, or changing stride, she cheerfully chirped, "Of course we're friends, Cloud Kicker! I'm friends with everypony!" and in one bounce, she bounded back to hop next to Applejack and Fluttershy, who both looked at the overenthusiastic pony with a bit of skepticism. Oookay then. Pinkie being Pinkie, I guess.

I kept walking forward, and at the front of the pack was Rarity and Twilight Sparkle. Even the inveterate gossip of Ponyville seemed to be having trouble engaging Twilight Sparkle in any kind of meaningful conversation. I could have cut the awkward silence with a knife. This called for Irresistible Charm.

"So, ladies, I vote we postpone the trip into the Everfree, catch the first train to Las Pegasus, hit the nightclubs, get absolutely feathered up on cheap alcohol, and party hard. Now who's with me?!" As ice-breakers go, this was like dropping a large boulder into a thinly frozen pond. Twilight Sparkle gaped at me in abject horror, her right eyelid twitching, and Rarity shook her head and sighed. I grinned innocently and asked, "So, that's a no, then?"

Twilight finally recovered long enough to blurt out, "That's crazy! You're crazy! Stop being crazy!"

Rarity tutted disapprovingly and replied in her dramatic Canterlot accent, "Now Twilight, "crazy" is such a strong word. Cloud Kicker is just a tad, oh, what's the word... eccentric, perhaps? After all, I don't think she was actually serious. Right, Cloud Kicker?" She narrowed her eyes at me. The way Rarity said eccentric made me think that she had heard plenty of gossip about me. Not to mention my implication that she was one to get "feathered up on cheap alcohol".

I wistfully sighed and admitted, "No, not really. But it was a happy thought for the moment."

Twilight also sighed in response, only in exasperation. "Well, it's good you're taking the escape of Nightmare Moon and eternal night seriously!"

Rarity then turned back to Twilight Sparkle and gently retorted, "Now, that's not fair either, Twilight. Cloud Kicker is as dependable a pony as you'll find!" Wow, she and I never really hung out any before tonight, but she's still defending me and talking nice about me anyway. That's pretty nice of Rarity.

"After all, even with her past, I think duty must run in her blood." Okay Rarity, there's being generous and then there's giving away the farm.

"Well, of course it does, being of the Kicker clan. Though, our Cloud Kicker is certainly different than most of the rest of the Kicker clan, in profession and other ways." Oh Celestia, I have made some mistakes in life, but not bad enough to deserve this. I know it was wrong to wish for a mud puddle or mudslide or something for her to fall into, but c'mon.

Thankfully, Rarity seemed content to leave it at that, though that knowing smile made me think that she got exactly what she wanted to say said. Twilight regarded me cautiously, finally asking me, "Okay, Cloud Kicker. What's she talking about?"

Even more thankfully, we were coming up to the entrance to the Everfree, so I replied, "It's a long story, Twilight. Once this is all over with, if you still want to know, I'll be happy to tell you." Twilight nodded in agreement, and our merry band came to a halt behind us, looking up at the foreboding forest.

I usually saw the Everfree from the skies while working to clear up the rogue weather that came from that way, and it's depressing enough looking down at it, but looking up at the forest from the ground is far worse. I almost wanted to take to the skies and fly to the castle, dodge the forest entirely, and bring the Elements back for the girls. But unfortunately, there was a lot of reasons that wouldn't work, like not really knowing where the castle was and probably not being able to carry all the Elements on my own since I didn't know what they even looked like, but most of all that I'd have to leave all the others behind, even Eepysqueak given how she flies, and on a night like tonight, there's no way that I could do that.

After a long moment, Applejack cleared her throat and said "All right everypony. No sense puttin' it off any longer." We then entered the forest.

***

What followed was a few of the most challenging hours of my life.

It started not long after we entered the Everfree. We were talking about how the Everfree was strange and different compared to the rest of Equestria, when the ground underneath our hooves simply collapsed, sending everypony but me and Eepysqueak sliding down a steep slope, with a deep ravine waiting at the end of the slope. Eepy and I were able to help make sure everypony made it down to the bottom of the ravine without the sudden stop at the end, but it took some quick flying (which my tired wings didn't appreciate at all) and some calming words from Applejack to Twilight Sparkle. Applejack actually let go of the root that stopped her from going over the edge, and slid down the edge to grab Twilight's hooves and keep her from falling long enough for me and Eepy to get into place to catch her. That took guts from the farm pony, I had to say.

Though, I did take the opportunity, when Twilight Sparkle said that she appreciated the save, to reply "Oh, I can think of some ways that you could thank me." with a knowing wink, to the sound of a quiet groan from Rarity, and an uncomprehending stare from Twilight Sparkle.

Not long after that, we were continuing on the path, but a raging honest-to-Celestia manticore came out of nowhere to block our path. I knew it was a possibility, but it was still a daunting thing to face without wingblades and armor. At the same time, I was probably the only pony in the group that had actual martial training, so I was the first one into the fray to defend the rest of the group, admittedly not very effectively. I had the thought: "Wait, why didn't I get my armor from my parent's place in town? Stupidstupidstupid-" right before the manticore smacked me clear across the clearing. Of all ponies, Fluttershy ended the fight. Well, she had a hunch, and the manticore's rage was from a giant thorn stuck in its paw. Once she pulled it out, the big beast was as gentle as a kitten to her. At least nopony was hurt, I was happy to say.

After that, things got a little weird. After we walked for a while, we came to an even thicker portion of the forest, to the point where we could barely see a hooflength in front of our faces. Then, we could see all too well: the trees around us all had horrifying monstrous faces on them. All of the others were freaking out, and even I was getting spooked, up until Pinkie Pie started laughing. Of course she would laugh! And with a song and dance, Pinkie explained that you couldn't hide or run from your fears, but you could laugh them away. And by Shadow, it worked. Goes to show that Pinkie Pie's got more in her head than parties and cake recipes.

We then reached a river where the water was so choppy, swimming through would be impossible. Another dweller of the Everfree turned out to be responsible: a large sea serpent, never mind that we're nowhere near the sea, of course. The sea serpent was rampaging the same as the manticore had been, though for a bit less impressive of a reason: A purple cloud flew by and cut off half of his giant moustache. Seriously. He was almost as overdramatic as Rarity. And I think she took that as a challenge: After sympathizing with the serpent's plight, Rarity dramatically declared that she wouldn't tolerate such an injustice, ripped out one of the serpent's scales, cut off her own tail, and used her magic to attach the tail to restore his moustache. That calmed the giant creature down, and he actually helped us cross the river afterward.

I had a funny feeling that, despite being beset by danger at every turn, everything would be okay, because I was with the others. We continued into the deepest part of the forest.

Author's Note:

The reports of my, and this story's, deaths are greatly exaggerated! Happy New Year!

Wow, been almost a full year since my last update, but as I alluded to in the comments lately, 2014 was extremely unkind to me in Real Life. Posting this on New Years Day is my way of defenestrating that almost-a-year of almost-no-writing by getting back to it and finishing the story I started. (I do so love that word.)

And the good news there is that the story IS finished! So the remaining chapters should be coming soon.

I want to thank everyone that's liked this story, favorited it, commented on it, or some/all of the above. I really appreciate it, and you guys and girls are the ones that got me back into action on this.

I also, as always, want to thank the pre-readers that were able to take a look at this chapter through the end of holiday season: 621Chopsuey and Devas.

Next time: Cloud Kicker confesses her feelings for Twilight Sparkle!