• Published 12th Jan 2014
  • 316 Views, 0 Comments

Flames on the Wind - DoctorBovine



Celestia and Luna have guarded ponies for centuries, despite their feuds. What caused these feuds? A simple answer. Their brothers.

  • ...
 0
 316

Chapter 2: Amnesiac

Flames on the Wind
By Total Bovine

2 - Amnesiac

Sunspot suddenly appeared outside the cave, back where the Twilight Falls were. He raised an eyebrow in confusion and looked around a bit, before noticing a dark red and light red-maned mare staring back at him. Except, her eyes were fogged over, and she appeared to be blind.

“Whoah whoah wait wait wait, who the--” Sunspot’s eyebrows furrowed when she laughed, nervously.

“Oops! Ehehehehe... um...” She slightly cowered into the ground. Sunspot noticed she had an hourglass as a strikingly handsome mark.

“Oops?! What do you mean oops?! What’s going on? Who even are you??” Sunspot asked.

“I’m sorry Sunspot, I think I... messed up that spell... eheh... that’ll probably cause some problems.”

“Problems? What problems??”

“Well, there’s another time where you’ll need my help and I’ll... mess it up. Oops.” The girl frowned and turned her head away. “...Aw, crap.”

“What? What is it now?

“I don’t have enough juice to fix this and send you back there.”

“What do you mean? Didn’t I just teleport outside?” Sunspot asked. The mare pointed behind her, and he looked. His pupils dilated.

It looked like a castle on the side of a mountain; the castle must’ve had something going on because there was lots of balloons and people around. Sunspot heard muffled trumpets sounding in the distance, and it wasn’t there before. It’s like it just appeared there. On top of that, there were entire towns he’d never seen before! The nearest one only had a handful of ponies in it, probably because they were all over at the castle.

“...What did you do?” Sunspot asked.

“I accidentally sent you in the future about....” She thought. “I’m going to guess... two... three thousand years?” Sunspot’s jaw dropped.

“What?!?! No! You have to bring me back!”

“I told you, I don’t have the magic left to do it.” She sighed, and her horn illuminated.

“What. What are you doing now--” The light shot into Sunspot’s forehead, and he blinked a few times. “Wait, where am I? Who are you? ...Who am I?” The girl groaned.

“I deleted more than just that memory, didn’t I.” The girl closed her eyes and buried her face in the ground. “I just keep messing so much stuff up today! Oh Celestia I’m so sorry, Sunspot. I’m just getting over this recent breakup and--”

“Why are you talking about your relationship problems with me? Who are you? Did you call me Sunspot?” Sunspot asked. She got back up.

“Yes, you’re Sunspot. I’m Infinity. You’re going to meet me again in the future. But right now, I’ve wasted all my magic on screwing more things up.” The mare sighed. “But hey, at least this was supposed to happen anyway.”

“What’s supposed to happen??” Sunspot asked. Infinity suddenly disappeared. She must’ve used the rest of her magic to leave. That’s when Sunspot realized he was on fire. He sprinted to the nearest twilight water pool and dove in, putting the fire out. He felt a bit weaker, but he was fine. He climbed out, shaking off the excess water. He noticed his reflection. He was a unicorn. Step one of finding out who you are? Complete. He looked down the trail into the forest. There was really only one other place he could go at that point. He walked down the trail, and began to enter the Everfree forest.

Sunspot observed the trees around him. They were dark in color, with oddly placed branches and leaves that gave it a bit of an eerie feel to it. Even the leaves seemed a bit darker, let alone the trail. Still, that didn’t really affect him. He just wanted to find civilization. He continued to walk forward, the echoing sounds of commotion driving him forward. His hooves hit the muddy ground with a squelch, and made him moderately annoyed. Sunspot ended up walking for a long time. It didn't help with the mud, and it only made the ordeal more and more tiring. The forest seemed to keep getting darker, and that was the time when he remembered that the sun was setting when he got in.

"Great. Stuck in this random, eerie forest for the night." Sunspot groaned, muttering to himself. There wasn't anypony around, but he began to hear the echoes of people talking in the far distance. Sunspot had an idea. Maybe he could actually get over there in time. As far as he could feel, there wasn't much magic he could use. What could he do? There weren't many options. Sunspot made a final decision, and decided to continue walking.

It was a long time before Sunspot had gotten tired of walking, with his muddy hooves leaving prints everywhere. He heard rustling behind him constantly, and it made him suspicious, hence he felt no wind. Sunspot wasn't a coward, though. He was very prepared for whatever was going to come at him.

Just before Sunspot was about to lie down and fall asleep, he noticed a glowing purple flower. He walked over, curiously. He inspected it, sniffing it and poking it with his horn. It seemed to have a magical aura. Sunspot might've been able to use it for teleportation purposes, but he wasn't sure if he actually knew the spell or not. He felt cold. He gave up walking for the night. He sat down, folding his legs and allowing himself to lie on the ground, behind a few bushes, concealing him from being seen by people on the trail.

"So, Twilight, what is this thingy mabob we're lookin' for again?" Applejack asked.

"Celestia told me it was a purple flower of sorts. I don't know why she wants me to get it, but that shouldn't be my problem." Twilight responded.

"Alrighty then." Applejack replied. There was a pause between the two as they entered the Everfree forest. "...Uh, what exactly am I here for?"

"Four eyes are better than two." Twilight responded.

"So if ya had four eyes this'd be easier for ya?" Applejack asked, snorting then laughing with Twilight.

"I don't know, I'd have to try. Unfortunately, I really don't want to try." Twilight responded. There was more laughter between the two. They walked forward for a bit, before Twilight was abruptly stopped by Applejack.

"Hup!" Applejack said, bringing her leg off to the side to block Twilight's and stop her.

"Ah! What was that for?"

"Poison joke." Applejack pointed to the plant.

"Oh... thanks." Twilight replied. The two mares hopped over it fine.

"No problem, your highness." Applejack grinned and chuckled.

"Applejack, I told you not to call me that." Twilight's eyebrows furrowed. "I'm no greater than you or the other four."

"I know, I just like ta tease sometimes." Applejack replied. "Glowin' purple flower... alright, can do. Should be easy enough, right?"

"I don't know... with the wildlife around here, I'd say the vast majority has been crushed or hidden by other things that were crushed." Twilight quirked her mouth to the side. "This is a pretty violent place."

"Yeah, I hear ya." Applejack rolled her eyes. "I know all too well from Applebloom's misadventures in here." Twilight laughed. "That girl is outta control, I tell ya!"

"Kids are gonna be kids, no matter what you do about it." Twilight said.

"What about an electric fence?" Applejack joked.

"Maybe that'll work."

Sunspot's eyes opened, and noticed that he had kept the glowing flower in his mouth all night. He got up, to the sound of two mares speaking; one with a particularly thick accent. Sunspot grinned, the notion of being able to see other ponies was a blessing in this situation. He got up and was ready to go over when he heard a low growl from behind him. He turned around and found himself face to face with a timberwolf. He smiled, nervously.

"Flower, flower, flower... I can't see it anywhere!" Twilight exclaimed, surprised.

"You'd think somethin' glowin' would be easy to find." Applejack replied, scanning the area off the path. "Celestia, this is insan--" Applejack was interrupted by a sudden timberwolf running out into the path, chasing the mysterious charcoal-colored stranger. The girls were left surprised and completely frozen.

"Get out of here!" Sunspot yelled. "Quick!" Applejack was about to run over and help him when Twilight bit her tail and yanked it in her direction, running. They reached the end of the path after several minutes. They were both left tired.

"That was the alpha." Applejack kept repeating nervously, as Twilight panted.

"Maybe we should bring somepony else with us next time?"

"Why in the hay are y'all suggestin' that now?! There's a stallion out there probably gettin' his behind handed to him on a silver platter!" Applejack yelled.

"Appleja--" There was a sudden yelp and crunch of wood, and the two heard it several more times. They were left surprised and speechless. "...Did I hear what I just heard?"

"Come on, let's see if he's okay, at least!" Applejack sprinted back into the trail, and Twilight was forced (and compelled) to follow her inside.

When they got to where the scene happened, they noticed a large pile of logs partially on the path and off the path. Applejack and Twilight walked up to it, hearing nothing nearby. "...Well, shoot." Applejack took her hat off and held it to her chest. "I guess he fought well, but didn't make it." Twilight paused, guiltily, before they heard commotion inside. Applejack quickly put her hat back on and squinted, before a hoof erupted from inside, sending one of the logs rolling down the pile. The black-maned unicorn poked his head through the hole, and looked at them. He yanked himself out, rolling down the pile. Applejack and Twilight were quiet. Sunspot picked himself up off of the ground, hearing his back crack, and he grunted, noticing there was a log stuck around his leg.

"Oh, so you made it out okay, that's good news." Sunspot said, shaking the log off of his hoof. Twilight and Applejack were completely dumbstruck. "...Um, you two alri--"

"Applejack! What's yours?" Applejack abruptly exclaimed.

"O-oh, right. I think my name's Sunspot, but I don't entirely remember." Sunspot replied. "I'm kind of an amnesiac."

"Oh." Twilight said, after shaking her head and collecting herself. “My name’s Twilight Sparkle. If you can’t tell already, I recently went through my coronation.” Twilight grinned, fluttering her wings when Applejack shooed them back into place, much to Twilight’s confusion.

“That’s not really important now, though. What I wanna know is how y’all managed to fend off three timberwolves by yourself! Some of those logs are completely broken!” Applejack exclaimed.

“Oh, uh, I don’t know, actually.” Sunspot replied, confused. “I just... did.”

“Well you must got one strong buck; those logs’re bigger than a redwood tree!”

“Actually, even if they were bigger than a redwood tree, they’d be hollo--” Twilight intervened.

“Doesn’t matter! Y’all get the point!” Applejack said, confused and dumbstruck by what she saw in front of her.

“...I guess I do.” Sunspot replied, quirking his mouth to the side.

“...Hey, while you were out here, did you see a glowing purple flower?” Twilight asked?

“Ah, yes, I did.” Sunspot smiled. “The moonglow, of course. Hang here, I’ll go get it.” Sunspot ran off the trail to where he originally was. The two mares exchanged glances. “Ow! Stupid log!” Sunspot exclaimed in the distance. He finally came back a moment later with the moonglow in his mouth. “Here you go.” Sunspot said, opening his mouth so Twilight could grab it with levitation.

“Thanks.” Twilight smiled.

“Where are y’all from?” Applejack asked. Sunspot paused, then shrugged.

“I have no idea.” Sunspot replied.

“Oh, right, the whole... amnesia thing.” Applejack paused for a moment. "Well, where were ya last time ya remembered anythin'?"

"At that twilighty water fall place." Sunspot said.

"...You mean Twilight Falls." Twilight noted, unimpressed.

"...Sure. That." Sunspot replied, looking to the side.

"Well, we were just about to head back to our town, so if you'd like ta join us, I'd be more than happy to let ya tag along." Applejack smiled. Sunspot paused along with Twilight.

"Applejack." Twilight whispered in her ear. "Think about what you're doing."

"What? Ya think he's a bad guy or somethin'?" Applejack asked.

"Well- kinda! I mean, we know nothing about him--"

"Well neither does he!"

"I think we should at least take note of the fact I can't use my magic as well around him. There's some aura around him that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, too..." Twilight whispered. Applejack paused.

"Are y'all makin' this up?"

"No! Why would I lie?"

"I'm the element of honesty, not you."

"Come on Applejack, at least consider it before you go right on ahead and say that he's welcome."

"...Alright, I guess." Applejack replied.

"You know I heard all of that, right?" Sunspot asked, and the two froze up. There was an awkward silence between all of them. "Trust me, I'm just as weirded out myself. I don't really know--" Sunspot's mane and tail suddenly burst into flames again, his eyes widening.

"Oh my Celestia!" Twilight's eyes widened, and she used a water spell to put it out.

"Are y'all alright?! What was that all about?" Applejack asked, checking him for any burns.

"I'm fine, relax." Sunspot replied. "There's something that keeps weirding me out, though."

"What?" Twilight asked. "The notion that your mane and tail just spontaneously combusted?"

"Well- yeah, but there's something else, too."

"What?"

"When they start burning, it doesn't hurt me at all, and it actually somewhat makes me feel a bit stronger." Sunspot said, The two mares took a step back. "H-hey, it's not like I'm gonna cook you and eat you, I'm a nice guy--" The stepped back again. "You can trust me, it's fine! I think it might be some spell I did that I don't remember." They went back to where they were originally.

"That makes sense." Twilight said. "So, I guess you can come with us."

"Alright--" Sunspot grinned, but then found himself inches away from Twilight's intimidating expression.

"But." Twilight began. "If you do one thing that threatens me, my friends, or anypony at all, you're gonna be banished to the sun. You hear me?" Sunspot's eyes were widened.

"Y-yeah, yeah, sure." Sunspot stammered.

"Good!" Twilight grinned. "Let's go, then." Twilight walked towards the end of the path, and Applejack and Sunspot exchanged glances before they followed her.

It was a bit before they finally made it out, but eventually it did get to that point. Sunspot was relieved to step in the thin grass blades, flowing in unison to brush the bottom of his hoof. It wasn't the brown lakes of mud that tried to suck him into the ground anymore. Sunspot sniffed the air; it smelled more fresh than it did in the forest. There wasn't any rustling behind him either, so that made it all the better. Applejack walked past him, over to Twilight. They both looked at him. There was a while of silence between them all.

"...Is there an inn in Ponyville?" Twilight asked, turning to Applejack.

"Oh, uh, I think so." Applejack said. "It might've closed down, though..."

"Well, there's one problem, Sunspot."

"What?" Sunspot asked.

"We have no idea where you're going to stay." Sunspot appeared disappointed from Twilight's words.

"I can just sleep at the edge of the forest. I've already spent the night there already--"

"No no no, that's not a good idea." Applejack intervened. "You can stay in my barn."

"...Applejack, again, think about what you're sayin--" Twilight began.

"I know what I'm sayin' Twilight, y'all don't have to warn me every gosh darn minute!" Applejack snapped, annoyed. Twilight was surprised, and kept quiet.

“Really?” Sunspot asked.

“Yes, by all means.” Applejack replied.

“A-actually, maybe it’d be better if you stayed at my house.” Twilight intervened. Applejack slightly snarled, obviously in a bad mood that day.

“Why?” Sunspot tilted his head to the side slightly. Twilight thought about what she could’ve said to cover her true reason.

“Well, you don’t want to sleep in a barn, do you?” Twilight chuckled, and Applejack looked at her with burning rage flickering in her eyes.

“Well, um... it doesn’t really matter to me, honestly.” Sunspot replied, nonchalantly. “As long as I can sleep without questioning my safety.” Sunspot’s eyes slightly widened a moment after he said it. The mares raised one eyebrow in perfect synchronization. “I’ll sleep in Applejack’s barn.” Applejack grinned.

“What?! I’m perfectly safe!” Twilight growled.

“It isn’t a matter of whether or not you are safe, it’s a matter of whether or not I feel safe accepting your invitation.”

"Besides, if you sleep in Applejack's barn, you might catch a hay stack on fire." Twilight argued. Applejack's nostrils flared.

“Your house is most likely made out of wood. Most civilian houses are made out of wood.” Sunspot explained. “But you are an alicorn... are you a princess?”

“Why, yes.” Twilight grinned, confidently. “Yes, I am.”

“What’s your house made of?”

“...It’s carved into a tree.” Twilight frowned.

“There might be some spell to keep it snuffed.” Twilight and Applejack exchanged glances.

“There probably is.” Applejack agreed. “...Then he can sleep in the barn.” Twilight sighed.

“Sunspot, do you like books?” Twilight asked.

“Yes.” Sunspot replied. “Reading is fun. Why?”

“My house is a library.” Sunspot’s eyes slightly widened.

“Alright, I’ll join you.” Sunspot said, getting up. Applejack simply stood there as her eye twitched.

“Applejack, calm down.” Twilight said.

“I’ll try not to burn your books.” Sunspot grinned, trotting along. “Besides, like I said; probably a spell to snuff it out. ...Where’s your house?”

“Oh! Uh...” Twilight gave Applejack a worried glance. She leaned into her ear. “Sorry, Applejack. I don’t know why you’re acting like this but sorry. I’m a bit concerned for your safety is all.”

“I’d be fine.

“I don’t doubt for a second you can handle yourself, but he’s got the upperhand. He’s strong, and he’s a unicorn. From what we know, he could be skilled in magic too--”

“Just go, Twilight. I’ll see y’all later.” Applejack replied with a sigh. Twilight paused for a moment.

“Um. House?--” Sunspot asked.

“Yeah, follow me.” Twilight replied, walking past him. He followed her, a bit enthusiastic.

After a bit of walking, Twilight opened the door to her home, Sunspot’s curious gaze over her shoulder. She huffed a small sigh. “This is the place.”

“This is the place?” Sunspot asked.

“This is the place.” Twilight confirmed, walking in. Sunspot followed her and closed the door behind them.

“Not too shabby.” Sunspot said. “But it seems a bit...--”

“...What? My house is fine.” Twilight’s eyebrows furrowed.

“No, it’s not that it’s not fine, but...” Sunspot took another generalized look around. “It’s the fact that... well... aren’t you a princess?”

“Yes.” Twilight replied, grinning.

“This seems a bit non-royal.”

“Oh! That’s because I owned this house before I became a princess in the first place.” Twilight smiled, proudly.

“Why do you still live here? Why don’t you move to more elaborate housing?”

“I like being closer to my friends. After all, it’s in my lessons.” Sunspot raised an eyebrow at her response. There was a moment of hesitation.

“Lessons?”

“Yes! I’m being taught directly by Princess Celestia.”

“Lessons about what?”

“Friendship.” Sunspot kept from laughing, and made an awkward expression and snort to blatantly show it.

“That seems a bit childish, honestly.” Sunspot replied.

“Well...” Twilight chuckled, embarrassedly looking around. “Not for somepony who shut out the idea of friendship in exchange for magic for half of her life.”

“Bad decision. Friends are nice and can teach you a lot more magic than a week of studying can.” Sunspot pointed out. “However, that’s the past, so that can’t change.”

“I’m actually kind of happy I did that.” Twilight replied.

“How so?”

“Well, I mean I got to be a princess because of it, and...” Twilight trailed off before continuing. “I have no idea who would be my friends instead of the ones I have now.”

“They mean a lot to you?”

“Yeah.”

“I could tell the moment you threatened to burn me alive on the sun.”

“Ha ha! Yeah.” Twilight replied. “And don’t think that doesn’t still apply--”

“I’m well aware of that.”

“So, make yourself at home. Read whatever you like as long as you put it right back.” Twilight said, walking into another room. Sunspot paused and looked around. There were so many books to read, he didn’t even know where to start. He looked up on a shelf, and saw a book on the royal family. A headache began to form and he looked around for others. He didn’t like that book for some reason. He felt two pokes on his leg, and looked down to discover a small blue and yellow dragon youth.

“Um, who are you? And why are you in Twilight’s house?” It asked. Sunspot paused.

“I’m uh...” Sunspot thought for a moment. He smiled, a little bit nervously. “I’m an acquaintance.” The dragon simply paused, and trotted up the stairs. Sunspot sat and listened as the dragon started a rather intense conversation with Twilight about the mysterious individual in her abode.

“No, Spike, he wasn’t lying.” Sunspot’s ear perked to listen to what they were saying. “Wha-- Spike! No way!” He rolled his eyes, and continued looking through books. He took one off the shelf, and flipped it open. It was a hollow book filled with gold crown thingies. They had different symbols on them. Sunspot frowned, and looked around cautiously as he slowly closed the book and put it back with levitation. He decided he should probably find a different book.

Twilight came back downstairs after a bit, and walked straight over to her desk, not even minding Sunspot’s existence. She began writing on a page, while Sunspot read a novel, lying down on the floor. She worked through the entire memo, which was about three papers with both sides filled, without a sound from Sunspot. Once she was done, she looked at him. He seemed engrossed in the book, flipping a page every once in a while.

“First book of the Daring Do novels, huh?” Twilight smiled, turning around. Sunspot turned his gaze in her direction.

“Yeah.” Sunspot said, blankly. “Pretty good so far.”

“You know, those are actually autobiographies.” Sunspot looked at Twilight again in disbelief.

“You’re lying.”

“Nope! All true.” Twilight replied. “We met her, actually. Quite a character.”

“You don’t say.” Sunspot said, looking back into the book. “She seems like somepony I’d like to meet.” Twilight hesitated.

“My friend Rainbow Dash is a lot like her. She’s a great flyer, too.”

“I’d like to meet her as well.” Sunspot replied, making Twilight chuckle.

“You like sporty adventure mares, huh?”

“I never said that, it’s not like there’s much of a preference.”

“Oh.” Twilight awkwardly paused, and walked into another room. Sunspot stared at the door she closed behind her for a quick minute, and then went back to his book. She came back out not long after, and got a book to read herself. “This place gets boring after you’ve read every book in the place at least once.”

“You have a lot in here.” Sunspot noted. “Seems pretty hard to get bored in here.”

“It’s a lot easier than you’d think, actually.” Twilight chuckled, beginning to read. “I’d ask you who you are and where you come from, but the whole no memory thing.”

“Yeah.”

“It makes it a lot harder to get to know you.”

“It makes it a lot harder to get to know myself.” Sunspot said, looking up from his book. “I like reading, which is as far as I know. I know I don’t like sleeping in eerie forests at night, and I also don’t like walking tree wolves.” Twilight burst into laughter. “What?! I don’t know what they’re called!”

“They’re called timberwolves, for future reference.”

“Thanks. I could use that common knowledge. It’s a miracle I know the english language.” Sunspot rolled his eyes. “I’ve got a ways to go before I’m an actual functioning citizen.”

“I’ll help you in any way I can, if you just say the word.” Twilight said. Sunspot smiled.

“Thanks, Twilight Sparkle.”

“Just call me Twilight.”

Troposphere yawned. It was a very, very slow day in heaven the next day. Barely anypony asked for help, nopony wanted him outside the palace, and as far as he could tell, hell was perfectly fine. Light poured through the stained glass windows, coloring the floor. Troposphere began to close his eyes, but two of his guards rushed up to him, and he creaked them back open.

“Your highness.”

“What?” Troposphere asked, blankly.

“The green in the rainbow quartz is back.” Troposphere’s eyes widened.

“Tell the citizens I’ll be gone for a little while. I have a long awaited visit to attend to.” Troposphere grinned, hopping off his stale throne and trotting out the castle. “Also; get the sub in here, I might be gone a while.”

“Understood.” The guards replied, in perfect synchronization. And with that, Troposphere jumped off the edge of the floating island, flapped his wings and zoomed over to the quartz island.

Holy crap has it been a while since I’ve last been here. Troposphere thought, leaving the starry cave. He smacked the entrance open and trotted out, his eyes getting flooded with the light of day. It almost seems surreal now. He took a moment to let the environment soak in. He stopped to listen to the waterfalls resonate through the humid air. It felt nice to be here again. Can’t wait to see my sisters again. Troposphere trotted a few steps, skipped, then jumped, flying over the everfree forest. He heard the gasp of the mare in the forest a ways in, and he sighed, halting his forward acceleration. Guess it’s gonna be delayed.

Troposphere took a nose dive into the forest where he heard the gasp, and landed in a trail. He looked to the left, and saw a yellow horse with a long pink mane and tail. He took notice of her cutie mark, which depicted of three butterflies. She appeared to be stuck in a prickly bush.

“Um--”

“Need any help?” Troposphere asked, lending a hoof. Trembling, the mare grabbed it and eased her way out. “Yeez, you got a lot of cuts from that. You alright?” She didn’t necessarily respond, it was more of a barely noticeable nod of her head, which was aimed towards the ground southwest of her point of view. Troposphere paused. “What’s your name?”

“F...F-Fluttershy.” She mumbled.

“...What?”

“F-Fluttershy...”

“Did you say... w-what??”

“Fluttershy,”

“Oh, Fluttershy?” The mare replicated her earlier nod. “Nice to meet you. Name’s Troposphere, but my friends call me Cloud. So by all means, call me Cloud.” She weakly smiled. “...Not to pry, but why were you in here in the first place?

“U-um... I was looking for my bunny, Angel.” Fluttershy mumbled. “I actually have to get going, I need to find her...--”

“I’ll help, if you want.” Troposphere offered, his eyebrows raising.

“I- um, I think it’d be better if um...”

“I’ve been told I’m really good with animals.”

“H-he’s meaner around strangers...”

“I’ve been told I’m really good with animals.” Troposphere repeated, insistently.

“Uh--” Fluttershy began, before she saw Angel come out of a bush nearby and hop on Troposphere’s back. She was completely confused. “...Um,”

“Oh-- is this your rabbit?” Troposphere asked.

“He’s a bunny…”

“Bunny.”

“...Yes. He is.” Fluttershy confirmed. She walked over to Troposphere’s back, and looked at Angel. “Come on... we should go home, it isn’t safe here.” Angel appeared to blatantly refuse. “...Angel, come on, we should leave.” His disapproval could not be more obvious. “I-it’s dangerous-- ow.”

“Did that thing just slap you?” Troposphere asked, surprised.

“...T-that would be correct. ...He did.” Fluttershy was getting annoyed of Troposphere calling Angel it instead of he.

“I can carry him home if you want.”

“...It’s a miracle he’s on your back at all... I doubt he’ll accept you taking him to my home.”

“It’s worth a shot.” Troposphere replied. “I’ve been told I’m really good with--”

“I know.” Fluttershy mumbled, annoyed. Troposphere took a step forward. Angel didn’t move. He took a few more steps. No budge. He exchanged glances with Fluttershy, and walked a little ways towards the exit of the forest. Still no budge. Troposphere motioned Fluttershy over so she could lead the way. “I don’t know what you’re doing... but it’s working.” Fluttershy told Troposphere.

“Told you.” Troposphere boasted. “Animals tend to like me.”

“I wish I was that spiritually connected to animals.”

“It’s in the genes.” Troposphere grinned. He stopped smiling for a second, then smiled again. “Literally.”

“What do you mean?” Fluttershy asked.

“I’m from heaven.” Troposphere grinned. Fluttershy paused.

“...I’m glad you have a nice self-esteem,” Fluttershy walked a bit past him, and his brain skidded to a halt.

“...Well that’s true, but I don’t see how that has to do with me being from heaven.”

“...I don’t understand you.” Fluttershy mumbled.

“It’s not really that hard of a concept to grasp, I’m from heaven. It’s the aura we give off that makes animals feel safe and welcome. It’s not just me; it’s everypony up there.”

“You clearly aren’t dead, though...”

“What does being dead have to do with-- oh. But still! I don’t understand.”

“Neither do I...”

“Wait.” Troposphere stopped and thought. “Oh no.”

“...What?”

“Don’t tell me heaven’s gone undocumented, has it?”

“...I-it never was... I don’t understand--”

“So nopony down here knows about this??”

“Knows about what?” Fluttershy was confused. Troposphere’s eye twitched.

“Wow. Way to go, Celestia, you did the world a huge favor with that one.” Troposphere and Fluttershy got to the end of the forest, and she led him to her home.

“This is it... you can just brush him off inside.”

“Kay.” Troposphere replied, with a stale tone to his voice. He went in, and was smothered in animals. “GEH.”

“Oh... oh dear...”

“ITHS FOOTH IS IN MY MOUFHAFTHPBT,”

“Are- are you okay?”

“HELPF.”

With the help of Fluttershy, they calmed the animals down enough to not act like magnets towards Troposphere. “Now that I can see,” Troposphere looked around. “Nice place.”

“Thanks...” Fluttershy weakly smiled.

“Chock full of animals, but nice. I like it.”

“Thanks...” Fluttershy’s eyes widened a bit. “Oh...”

“What?”

“I’m sorry... I have to go bring Twilight’s owl back. I was babysitting her today...”

“Need help?”

“He’s cooperative, but, you can come along if you want. You can meet her. She’s really nice.” Fluttershy smiled. Troposphere drifted into thought. Well, I want to go see my sisters, but I’d slap myself if I wasn’t nice.

“Sure.” Troposphere smiled.

“Okay. Just follow me again, and I’ll take you.”

“Sounds good to me.” Troposphere trotted along with her, the owl following, and he closed her front door as they left. After a little bit of walking, Fluttershy knocked on Twilight’s door. She opened it.

“Oh, hi Fluttershy. You returning the little pest?” Twilight chuckled, letting it fly on her shoulder.

“Hehe, yes.” Fluttershy replied.

“Who’s that with you?” Twilight asked.

“O-oh, this is Troposphere. He helped me find Angel and he seems to be an um... animal magnet.” Fluttershy explained.

“Troposphere, huh?” Twilight asked, keeping an eye on him.

“He’s a nice guy.”

“I am. That’s true.” Troposphere said.

“Well, we should get going now, Twilight.” Fluttershy said.

“Are you busy?” Twilight asked, quickly.

“Um... well, no--”

“Then why don’t you stay here for a bit?”

“O-okay, sure.” Fluttershy smiled, and walked in.

“You’re welcome too, Troposphere.” Twilight offered. Troposphere paused. When will the sidetracks end. He thought.

“Alright.” Troposphere entered the house, and the door closed behind him.

“Hey Twilight, come up here a sec, you need to see this.” Sunspot’s voice beckoned from upstairs, catching Troposphere’s immediate attention.

“Make it quick, there are two ponies I want you to meet.” Twilight said, ascending the stairs. Troposphere and Fluttershy exchanged glances. “Alright come on.” Twilight smiled. “It’s mainly just one and her friend she brought.”

“Oh, okay.” Sunspot said, descending the stairs into sight. Troposphere’s pupils dilated infinitely fast and his jaw slightly hung open, staring at Sunspot. “...He’s staring at me.”

“I don’t know why.” Twilight replied. “Um, Troposphere? You alright there?”

“S... Suns-Sunsp-p-pot....” Troposphere stammered.

“Wait, you know each other??” Twilight asked. Sunspot simply took a double take at Troposphere.

“...Um--” Troposphere was suddenly right in Sunspot’s face, his eyebrows furrowed and a menacing snarl infecting his lip.

“You’ve been here?!?! For three thousand years you’ve been here?!?!” Troposphere yelled. Fluttershy and Twilight were confused. “Why?! You know where you were supposed to go so you could do your job, but apparently you weren’t brave enough to stick to it! So you chickened out and stayed here?!?!”

“Um--” Sunspot began before Troposphere interrupted him again.

“Do you have any idea what you’ve put me through?!?! Huh?! I took your job for you while you were gone, and I had no help because I couldn’t get back here, overworld, until today!!!” Troposphere shouted. “Everything could’ve been fine if you just stuck to plan, but no, I get stuck in both the Aether and Nether to govern, condemn, all that jazz, and you weren’t there the entire time to help us three! Do you realize what you’ve done--”

“Troposphere.” Twilight interrupted. Troposphere paused, and looked at her. “Clearly you’ve had a history with Sunspot, but we just found him yesterday, and he has total amnesia.” Troposphere’s expression sunk faster than the speed of sound.

“Wh-what?” Troposphere asked. He turned to Sunspot. “...C-c’mon, don’t say that, he couldn’t have forgotten me. Come on Sunspot, t-tell them. Tell them I’m your brother, come on. Tell them about that day when I pulled the triple sonic rainboom, come on.”

“...I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Sunspot replied. “...Sorry.”

“I’m your brother! You have princess sisters, it’s not that hard to remember!”

“Huh? Princess sisters?” Twilight asked. Fluttershy mutually agreed to her question, wondering what Troposphere meant by that.

“Y-you know... Celestia and Luna, right? They’ve... told you guys about us before... right?” Twilight and Fluttershy stared at him in disbelief. Troposphere hesitated, then turned back to Sunspot.

“Come on, you must be acting to excuse yourself. Tell me you’re sorry and that you did it, for the stars’ sakes, just stop the act, please.

“It’s no act, sir. I don’t know you.” Sunspot replied. Troposphere, clenched his teeth and stormed out the door.

“No.” Troposphere mumbled, as he took off towards Canterlot. The ponies there all exchanged glances.

“...Troposphere’s a bit wonky in the head, by the way...” Fluttershy muttered.

“No crap.” Twilight replied. Sunspot sat down, however, and descended into deep thought. They all sat in silence for a while, a little bit awkwardly, before the silence was broken by a belch from upstairs.

“Whew... o-oh! Twilight! You got a letter from Celestia!” Spike said, waddling down the stairs. Twilight took it and opened it, scanning through.

“Wh-what does it say?” Fluttershy asked, and Sunspot averted his gaze over as well.

“‘Meet me at the castle courtyard. Bring the others, including the charcoal colored unicorn.’” Twilight said. She raised an eyebrow and looked at the two. She thought for a moment. “Fluttershy, can you go get the others? I have a feeling this is important.”

“Okay, Twilight. Can do.” Fluttershy frowned, leaving the house.

--------------- Earlier ----------------

“And now all we do, is wait.” Celestia sighed, rolling up the scroll and blowing it out of their location into a fine dust. “I was... not expecting this confrontation to happen. ...At all.

“It opened up completely randomly, what else was I gonna do?” Troposphere asked her.

“I know, but I was skeptical that it’d ever happen, honestly.” Celestia explained.

“Also, what’s up with not telling the citizens anything about us or the realms??” Troposphere asked her, curiously. “Is there some reason?”

“...Well.” Celestia frowned, thinking. “I just didn’t want to get their hopes up, I suppose. They can know now, but I didn’t need extra drama to deal with. Me and Luna had plenty of that.”

“Uh oh. What happened between big sis and little sis?” Troposphere asked, chuckling.

“We got into a... disagreement.” Celestia said, her eyes looking to the side. “Then she sort of turned into an evil, terrifying nemesis.” Troposphere’s left eyebrow furrowed in moderate disbelief and surprise. “She’s all better now, though.”

“What.”

“That’s what I thought the moment I saw her in her horror form.” Celestia explained. “She called herself Nightmare Moon. I defeated her, then banished her to the moon.”

“Uh.”

“That mare you met, Twilight, with the help of her five other friends, used the elements of harmony to bring her back to normal when she suddenly reappeared.” Celestia said. Troposphere sat there, silently. “Hard to believe, huh.”

“Very much so, yes.” Troposphere replied. “Luna could do all that?”

“She’s much more powerful than you think, Troposphere.” Celestia replied. “Truth be told... we all are.”

“Do you think it could’ve been resolved if me or Sunspot were here?”

“Most likely, yes. She was getting lonely because everypony hid from the night, but she didn’t realize how much they embraced it. It really is a beautiful time of day.” Celestia explained. “I think if she had some company from someone she was on good terms with, she would’ve calmed down if you told her.”

“Well, sorry, the rainbow quartz here got broken. I don’t know how or why it’s fixed now, but here I am.” Troposphere explained.

“She had already tried to visit you multiple times, each ending in a failed result. I feel horrible for the girl.” Celestia smiled. “But you’re here now, and if you’re telling the truth, Sunspot is, too.”

“He doesn’t remember anything.” Troposphere said.

“...What?”

“I wouldn’t be here alone if there weren’t a reason too. Sunspot has severe amnesia.” Celestia kept quiet. “If I had asked, he probably wouldn’t have come with me. That’s why I asked you bring those guys, because so far, it seems like they’re the only ponies he has some relation to.”

“After all these years...” Celestia whimpered. “We get to see him, and he’s... he’s not... him anymore?” Troposphere sighed.

“It really sucks, huh.”

“Yes... that would be the proper term to use.”

“Celestia, are you crying?”

“Wh- no!” Celestia sniffled. Troposphere simply gave Celestia a hug, She paused, before hugging him back while silently crying.

“It’ll be okay, Celestia. In the end, it’ll be alright.”

“I don’t know if I can get his memories back, is the problem.”

“We’ll find a way. And if we don’t, we’ll make more.”

“I’ve missed you two so much.”

“Right back at you.” Troposphere stopped hugging Celestia, and smiled.

“I’ll have to wake Luna up early... she hates it when I do that.” Celestia chuckled. “Let me know when you see the train coming.”

“Okay.” Troposphere looked out the stained glass window. Man, Celestia did a fantastic job. Troposphere walked outside onto the palace balcony. This society is amazing compared to mine. He frowned. Then again, I had two jobs to do at the same time. He gazed at Celestia and Luna’s world, and he smiled. Guess I could learn from this.

“Luna?” Celestia asked, walking into Luna’s room. She heard a muffled groan into the pillow and chuckled. “Sorry for waking you up early.”

“What do you want, sister? I’m tired.” Luna asked, groggily, sitting upright in the bed.

“We have visitors.” Celestia explained.

“So?”

“So I want you to come out here and say hello.”

“Who are they?”

“It’s a surprise. You know them.” Celestia smiled, and walked out of the room, closing it. Luna raised an eyebrow. She knew a lot of ponies. If she got a surprise visit from any of them, she’d be delighted. Celestia certainly knew how to get her out of bed. Curse her and her messing with my curiosity. Luna thought, plopping out of bed. She made herself look presentable, and stopped at the door. She stared at it, thoughtfully, before opening it. She saw Twilight and Pinkie Pie, grinning at her madly.

“...You two came to visit me?” Luna asked, a bit confused. Twilight giggled, trying not to grin. She pointed to Luna’s left, and Luna looked over in that direction. She looked back at them. “I don’t get it.”

“To the courtyard!” They exclaimed in unison, startling Luna a bit.

“Uh, okay.” Luna said, following their giddy steps. They brought her down there and burst open the doors, standing to the side. Luna’s eyes adjusted to the light. Her eyes shot open at the sight of Celestia hugging Sunspot, and Troposphere, laughing in the background. Twilight’s friends were gathered around, a bit confused. “...No. Way.” Luna said, under her breath. She sprinted towards Troposphere, and tackled him. “Troposphere!”

“Hey! There she is!” Troposphere grinned. He got back up and hugged her. “Been a while, huh?”

“Yes.” Luna whimpered, tightening her grip on Troposphere.

“Erk... need... air--”

“Sorry,” Luna let go. “It’s just... wow.” Troposphere laughed.

“Completely understandable.” He paused. “Sunspot’s here.” He looked to the right. Luna began to walk over, but Troposphere put a hoof in front of her.

“Um.”

“Before you talk to him, I want you to tread lightly. You’ll need to be ready for anything when you talk to him.” Luna paused, and nodded in agreement. “Go ahead.” Troposphere lowered his leg, and Luna walked by him.

“Sunspot?” Luna smiled, walking over to him. He turned around. “Why are you extinguished?” Luna’s horn illuminated, and his mane and tail caught fire again, to his moderate horror. “There, better.” Luna hugged him, and Sunspot retaliated a little bit, to Luna’s complete surprise. “...I-is something wrong? Sunspot, what’s wrong?”

“Luna, he has amnesia.” Celestia sighed. Luna froze. “...He doesn’t know who you are.” Luna was frozen. “I was just explaining to him who we are for a general idea.”

“...Why don’t you just restore his memories?”

“They’re clouded by magic. It’s a spell that’s suppressing them.” Celestia said. Luna frowned, petrified. “You know what that means, right?”

“Yes, of course.” Luna whimpered, her eyes beginning to flood with tears. “We can’t get them back even if we try.”

“...Sorry.” Sunspot muttered.

“Sunspot, it’s fine, it’s not like it was your fault.” Celestia said.

“And... even though you lost all your memories, there’s still room to make more.” Luna weakly smiled.

“Luna, that was the corniest thing I’ve ever heard leave your mouth.” Troposphere interrupted. Rainbow Dash contained a giggle, and the other five looked at her, angrily.

“Hey, it’s true!” Luna fired back. “Sorry for trying to lighten up the situation here.”

“...Says the princess of the night.”

“Troposphere, I never thought you’d turn into a jerk.”

“I’m just messing with ya, you’re right. I said the same thing to Celestia earlier.” Sunspot paused. “Also, uh... you six? Can you go away for a little bit so we can catch up?”

“Oh! Sure!” Twilight grinned, dragging the others away at once. Troposphere rolled his eyes.

“...So what do I do?” Sunspot asked. The three exchanged glances.

“Just live, Sunspot. All you need to know right now is that we’re your family, and that we’ll do anything to help. Just ask.” Celestia smiled. “You have my word.”

“And mine.” Luna added.

“Not mine.” Troposphere joked, punching Sunspot’s shoulder. “I’ll never help you.”

“...Thanks, guys.” Sunspot stated.

“Ah, no biggee.” Troposphere went somewhere else. Sunspot began to say something else but Troposphere was back in a flash. “Oh! Also, I’m re-training you how to take charge of the Nether, so don’t think you get off free. You’ve had a long enough vacation.”

“...Troposphere, don’t you think it’d be a better idea if one of us went down instead of throwing an unreliable amnesiac down there to rule?” Luna asked.

“Hey!!” Sunspot barked.

“No offense.”

“Good idea, Luna! You go.” Troposphere grinned, and Luna’s expression changed drastically.

“What?!?! I can’t condemn people!”

“If I can do it, so can you. Besides, it’s not like you don’t have experience. From what Celestia tells me, you went on a spree a ways back.” Luna gasped, shaking.

“Troposphere... what’s gotten into you?” Celestia asking going over to Luna, concerned. “You’ve been acting much harsher ever since you came here.” Troposphere sat down and looked at her for a bit, before avoiding eye contact. “I know that look, Troposphere. What’s wrong?” The three stared at him.

“Think a second, Celestia.” Troposphere looked at her, his eyebrows furrowing. “I had to condemn people, rule two places, and had the expectation to stay sane the entire time.” The three exchanged glances, worriedly. “I was discorded.”

“What?!” Celestia gasped.

“I’m still recovering. Only got over it recently. It lasted a few years.” Troposphere chuckled. “Heaven’s dark ages, they called it. Ironic, huh.”

“What caused it?” Luna asked.

“Oh, you know. Paranoia, depression, post traumatic stress disorder, that sort of thing.”

“I didn’t realize it was so serious--” Celestia began.

“Yeah?! Did you think that when Luna went insane?!” Silence. “Luna was isolated too much, and I was relied on to be there too much. It’s the same effect, Celestia. I’m sorry if I want a break, I’m sorry if I’m cranky, I just need to let things settle. I’ve had far too many years of overwork, death, and... no siblings.” The three were quiet.

“I’ll do it.” Celestia said, everypony’s heads darting towards her. “I’ll watch over the realms. You get your rest, Troposphere.”

“...What? You think you can just go from a land with hearts for windows straight to my kingdoms??”

“Whether they like me or not, I’ll do it. You need time to collect yourself.” Celestia said.

“I can’t rule down here on my own!--” Luna protested, but Celestia wrapped her wing around her.

“Yes you can, Luna. I believe in you.” Celestia replied. “Troposphere can help you if you need it.”

“...Thanks, sis.” Troposphere smiled.

“You had better leave with that smile right there or else.” Celestia grinned.

“What about me?” Sunspot asked, catching everypony’s attention. “I mean... I’m supposed to do a job, right? Shouldn’t I be the one doing it?”

“You need to be taught how to do it again.” Celestia replied. “But Cloud shouldn’t teach you now, so I’ll just go do it in the meantime.”

“Is there another way? I don’t want to put this burden on you guys any longer than I already have.” Luna smiled.

“There is.” Luna said, Celestia and Troposphere looking at her, inquisitively. “Go to the everfree forest at witching hour.”

“...Why?” Sunspot asked.

“You’ll see.” Luna said. “It’s something that could only happen to us two.”

“...What.” Celestia and Troposphere said in unison.

“Nothing.” Luna replied.

“Let’s all just... settle down and get to business then, yes?” Celestia asked.

“Okay.”

“You’ll be fine, Luna. I promise.” Celestia said. With that, Celestia took the skies towards the cave, without riding a chariot, and without telling any guards of the situation at hand.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment