• Published 5th Jan 2014
  • 1,679 Views, 216 Comments

Tales of Apple Scratch: Just Another Wild West Story - TigerSwirl448



An Apple Scratch Sisters side-story. Melody Liker (Vinyl's ancestor) and her sister Annabelle "Annie" Apple (AJ's ancestor) left their home of Manehattan to live their dreams in the boom town of Frontier City.

  • ...
10
 216
 1,679

Ch. 8: A Second Chance

Chapter 8

A Second Chance

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>


After we joined the law enforcement, things were a touch different in town. After we signed up, Melody and I were given polished silver stars with the word Law stamped on them. And also we were given permits to hold our revolvers. As soon as we got the permits, Melody and I talked to Tinker's barn to give us our revolvers back. But before she did, she stopped Melody and told her that she made her something special. Melody and I watched Tinker dig into her dirty wooden chest then pulled out a newly polished revolver. Tinker said it was a new type of revolver she called Remington.

I asked where did she came up with the name and she giggled and answered that her mule was named Remington. Melody took the revolver and decided to try it out. This revolver was shiny and new and the handle had a strange metal marker on it. Melody asked what it was; Tinker laughed and said that it was the same mark as her watch. Melody then pulled out her pocket watch and sure enough it was the same musical note as the watch. Melody tried it out outside and smiled with the new firepower and decided to keep the new gun. But she kept her first revolver just for an extra precaution.

We haven’t gotten our first job until a week after signing up. We were told to go into the tent village and catch three men that were convicts from a prison. It took us a while but we found them and Melody ran for them first. I tried to catch up but it was hard being pushed around. It took me forever to get out of the village to chase after Melody. I then found her with the three men. I was quite shocked at what I saw. Melody had the three men floating in the air in her magical fields. She didn't look too happy.

Melody turned seeing me and told me that I sure took my sweet time. I remembered I had gotten flustered at that. I asked Melody how to take the prisoners back to town. Melody lowered one of the men and pulled off a line of rope from his belt. She smiled at me and handed me the rope. She ordered me to tie their hands together.

After that chore was done, I told Melody that their hands were tied tight. Melody made sure then nodded telling me I did alright. I wasn't a great knot person, so I hoped at the time. We got the three convicts back to town, Maxine and Yelena were waiting for us.

Yelena told us that we took our sweet time in catching them. Melody explained the situation, during that time one of the convicts ran off, his hands untied. Maxine hollered at him. Melody and I watched with shock as the man ran away. Melody shoved me and told me to go get him. I was frozen for a moment and started thinking fast. I saw a horse and ran for it first. Melody was wondering what I was doing. I pulled out the knot of the reins then leaped on the horse. The horse was surprised giving me a look. I kicked my heels into his sides and raced off. I looked over and found a metal bucket hanging on a hook. I took the bucket off the hook as I rode by. We were nearing the runaway. I looked at the bucket in my hand and smiled. I switched my grip to handle. I kicked the horse for him to go faster.

I swung the bucket by the handle as we neared the convict. Then with a swing, I hit the man hard in the back of the head with the bucket causing him to fall forward to the ground. I stopped the horse and leaped off. I walked over to the moaning man. I reached down to grab his jacket and pull him up to his knees. I remembered his snarl as he looked at me. I was a little unnerved by that, but I pulled him up to his feet and lead him back to the others. As I walked back, I noticed that people were watching me with shock and awe. I was a little embarrassed by the audience but I continued down the street to the sheriff's office where Melody was sitting on the stoop, waiting. She noticed me and gasped.

She immediately came up to me to make sure I was fine, I let her know with a smile. She smiled back happy. We returned the convict to the office where Yelena and Maxine were waiting. They were shocked seeing me return with their convict. Yelena smiled nudging Maxine. Maxine growled, handing Yelena several coins. I didn't get it at first as Melody and Maxine took the third man to the back where the cages were.

Yelena congratulated me on capturing the runaway. She even gave me our first payment. A small stack of Beak notes. Melody returned seeing the money in my hand and smiled, taking the stack then counted the bills. She asked if Yelena was sure to give them this much. Yelena gave her a look and nodded. She said this was just a retrieval type of mission, if she thinks we could handle bigger missions then we would be getting more Beak notes or something more. When we returned to Tinkers barn, Melody was so excited. She was already making plans for what we would do with the money we got. I was happy that she was happy.

After that first mission, Yelena gave us bigger missions throughout the town. From runaway convicts, drunken prospectors, search and rescue. For the first month of spring that was all we did. And slowly and surly, Melody and I were familiar faces in town. Everyone would wave or tip their hats at us. It was actually nice to being looked at with smiles, not scowls or anything negative like that. Melody seemed to really like it, and that was a little worrying. Before we were given out first big job, we were told to meet Maxine at the Sweetie Belle. For something, we weren’t sure. Which worried me even more.

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>

Annie and Melody entered the Sweetie Belle, dressed in their slicker jackets with their stars on their chests. Everyone looked up and they were greeted with smiles and waves. The sisters hadn't been to the Sweetie Belle in a month and the place had changed. The usual patrons were actually waving and smiling at them.

"Where are we and what happened to the usual crowd?" Melody asked smirking. Annie gulped.

"I don't know." She said pulling her hat lower over her eyes.

"Well, if it ain’t Liker and Apple." The two turned to see Maxine sitting at the bar drinking her drink. Berry didn't look too happy seeing her a she walked off. "Care for a drink before we get to business?"

Melody and Annie looked at one another then nodded. Annie gulped following Melody to sit on both sides of Maxine.

"Hey, Purple hair, give these two a round would ya?" Maxine called out. Berry glared at her as she poured two other mugs of drink for the sisters. Annie thanked Berry with a kind smile. Berry winked in return with a smile. She handed the other mug to Melody. Melody winked then turned her attention back to Maxine.

"So why did you want us to be here of all places?" Melody asked turning to the side to the stage to actually see Rose playing the piano, a nice catchy tune to wake up everyone. Melody smiled taking a sip of her drink. Rose seemed to be enjoying playing the tune as she kept a small smile on her lips.

"Want anything to munch on?" Berry asked Annie. Annie nodded.

"Can I try some of that soup?"

"Gumbo you mean?"

"Uh yeah," Annie said blushing. Berry nodded reaching for the giant cauldron and scooped out a portion of the spicy, smelling soup into a bowl and slid it to Annie.

"Simmered throughout the night to be ready to serve all day." Berry said smiling.

Annie thanked her looking into the bowl. She could see the thick broth, with chicken, sausage, cut up green onions, with an added spoonful of rice at the top, with herbs and spices. Annie licked her chops and she started to eat.

Maxine smirked as she turned to Melody. "I called you here of all places because Skytalon and I believe you deserve this next reward."

"What reward exactly?" Annie asked gulping her gumbo. She looked to Melody with fear. Melody blinked having an idea but yet it couldn't be.

"Uh Dust, you might have to give us more clues." Melody said with a glare. She hadn't forgotten what Rose told her a month ago, she couldn't be around the women here. She had to prove herself someway.

Maxine chuckled. "Well, How about I show you." Maxine set down her mug then leaped off her stool. The sisters watched her as she walked to the stairs. "Well come on you two."

Annie went red looking up to see several of the girls watching them. Annie gulped sliding her bowl to Berry's hand. Berry was smiling as she started cleaning the dishes. Melody and Annie followed Maxine up the stair leading to the second story. Maxine was already turning into an apple again seeing the girls all waving at her or smiling. Melody was busy watching Annie then the girls.

Maxine walked down the longer hall then reached a door knocking on it first. Maxine heard a reply then opened the door. The sisters entered a room and laying on the bed was Diamond dressed in her usual nice work dress and showing off her fishnet stockings. She was waving a fan before her face then smirked seeing Annie’s red face.

"Well it's about time," Diamond said a little annoyed as she stood up fixing her dress.

"Uh Dust, what’s going on?" Melody asked standing in front of Annie. Annie gulped taking off her hat and fanned herself absently.

"Well Skytalon and I looked around and asked the tavern keepers if they have any extra rooms to give. But it seemed that Mistress Belle here, offered a room for you two here." Annie and Melody looked to Diamond to see her smiling as she snapped her fan shut.

"Well of course, after I learned from Ace that you two were living with a Ms. Tinker?"

"Yeah, Tinker Pie." Melody said nodding.

"Right, so I thought I would give you dears private rooms at my establishment."

Annie gulped. Melody nodded slowly. "Really?"

Diamond laughed. "Well of course. I would never turn down a friend in need right?"

"Friend?" Annie asked surprised. "You consider us friends?" She asked.

Diamond chuckled. "Well of course, sugar." Diamond said fluttering her eyelashes at her. Annie squeaked then covered her mouth blushing madly. Maxine chuckled as Diamond laughed.

"Follow me, dears." Diamond said heading out the room then down the stairs again.

"Why did we go up the stairs then" Melody asked irritated.

Maxine shrugged. "It's was her idea." She said pointing at the purple headed lady as she walked to the bottom then to the door under the stairs.

"This door leads to the private hall." Diamond said opening the door.

"Private hall?" Annie asked with worry.

"Oh yes, the private hall is exclusive to private rooms for special guests."

"Special?" Annie squeaked. Diamond chuckled.

She led the three through the skinny hall. She stopped before a door. "This is my private room." She said tapping the door. "So if you have anything you want to talk about," Diamond mention winking. "My door is always open." Annie shook her head. Diamond made a pout. "Oh poo. You’re no fun sugar."

"Anyway!" Melody said loudly ending the smile on Diamond’s face. "Where's our room?"

Diamond sighed and nodded waving to them to follow her. Diamond led them down the stairs to a basement level and reached one of the doors.

"Here you are, this will be Melody's room"

"Melody's?” Annie asked.

Diamond nodded. "Well of course, you two will have different rooms."

Melody blinked at this, surprised. "Wow that's luxury." She said smiling at her sister. Annie was also shocked by this.

"We could share a room,"

"Nonsense sugar!" Diamond exclaimed smiling at her. "I have plenty of rooms here and this basement level is hardly ever used. So you two will use the two large rooms down here." Diamond opened the door and walked in.

"I admit it’s a little dusty down here." Melody walked into the room and blinked in surprise. The room was larger than any room she slept in. There was a bed, a large table with two chairs, a separate room for the bathroom, a chest of drawers even several candle lamps.

"Wow," Melody whispered pulling off her hat to scratch her shaggy blue hair. "This is wow ...."

Diamond chuckled. "Glad you like it."

Melody nodded as she looked at the bed smiling. Annie pulled off a sheet off the chest of drawers then coughed from the dust.

"How long have you had these rooms?" She asked.

Diamond sighed. "When we first built this place there was a cave under the land. So I had the workers to build a basement where I could have four rooms of this size. Since then I only reserve this area for important guests."

"How important?" Melody asked smirking.

Diamond chuckled. "Well not many came down here anyways. So why not I let you take a place here. Since the other taverns were full." Melody and Annie looked at another then nodded.

"That was sure nice of you Diamond." Melody said smiling.

Diamond chuckled. "Well I might not look it, Miss. Liker, but I have a generous heart to those that need it. Now Annie why don’t you follow me."

Annie gulped as she was pulled out of the room by Diamond and lead to a second door across the hall. Diamond opened the door and lead Annie inside.

"Well here you are." She said smiling. Diamond looked around and realized the room was set up the same as Melody's. Annie looked around for a bit then sat down on the covered bed and smiled feeling the springs bouncing her around. She chuckled looking at the bed. She never had a bed like this before, so springy and bouncy.

"You seem to really like the bed." Diamond said chuckling.

Annie blushed looking at her. "Oh well, I um ... I never had a bed like this before." she said smiling. "I slept on a mat or straw filled cushion for my bed." Diamond blinked looking at her.

"Oh that's right you lived on a farm."

Annie nodded then lie down on the covered bed looking at the ceiling then smirked. She never thought she would be on a fluffy bouncy bed in her life. Annie turned feeling Diamond sit down on the side of the bed. She smiled at her. Annie gulped looking at her.

"You don’t mind if I take a seat do you?" Diamond asked.

"Um, sure, I don't mind." Annie answered blushing. Diamond nodded crossing her legs getting comfortable. Annie watched her worriedly, her eyes roved down her skirt to her net stockings.

"What was it like?" Diamond asked.

"Huh?" Annie asked looking up from her legs to Diamond’s face.

"What was it like to live on a farm?" Diamond asked curiously.

Annie blinked at the surprise question then shrugged. "It was alright I guess."

"But don't you have a huge family and always working together, making sure the farm run in perfect order?" Diamond asked. Annie frowned turning away.

"No," She whispered sadly. Diamond looked down at her with shock.

"Really?" She asked.

"Where did you get the idea that farm life is happy and perfect?" Annie asked turning to her. Diamond blinked then turned away. "Farm life wasn't that great." Annie grouched turning over. Diamond noticed the dust on Annie's coat from laying on the covering over the bed. Diamond was silent for a moment then she placed her hand on Annie's shoulder. Annie stiffened and turned to see Diamond smiling sadly at her.

"I grew up in a cotton plantation." Diamond said smiling at her. "I only had two older siblings, a sister and a brother. Our plantation was small because my father was the third of six sons. So the plantation was separated into six patches."

Annie turned back to her back listening.

"I was the last born since my mother had trouble of conceiving. Also the fact my father was a drunk." She said harshly. "I think my father would beat my mother and hurt the child. I was lucky though it seemed."

Annie was in shock at such a story. If her father drank he would have been cursed by her grandmother for his sins. She remained silent thinking. Diamond continued though unfazed.

"Then my brother left, marrying a Lord's daughter in Canterlot. Then my sister married a man opening a vineyard farther north of Neigh Orleans."

"What about you?" Annie asked. "Why did you leave your home to be... here?" Annie asked hesitantly. Diamond sighed.

"I met a man that my parents knew. He was a gentleman, and I fell in love with him. We got married and my father allowed him to live at the plantation and took over when my father passed." Diamond started wringing her hands.

"About close to fifteen years ago, I turned twenty-five, and my husband decided I wasn't satisfy him anymore." She said with a shrug. Annie blinked at this, she can see Diamond's face was a mask of indifference, but her eyes were filled with sadness.

"What did he do?" Annie asked dreading the answer.

Diamond sighed sadly fixing her hair. "He had sold me to a brothel south Neigh Orleans."

Annie stared at her with shock. "Slavery's forbidden in Equestria. How did he-"

"Money talks sugar." Diamond said harshly. “My father was too drunk to care, mother passed after I married by sickness, and I was the last of the Belle family that own the plantation. In marrying me, he took my portion of the land. And when he took my portion of my money and land, he could do away with me whenever he wanted. And he did it. He took over the plantation right away and buying it off my uncles, my brother and sister. And now he's the richest man in Neigh Orleans." Annie sat up crossing her legs before her looking to Diamond in a new light.

"Then how did you come by here?" Annie asked. "I mean this place has some age to it right?"

Diamond chuckled. "The Sweetie Belle is only six years old sugar."

"Still," Annie said blushing a touch.

Diamond rubbed her arm. "One day, a man came to the brothel and he picked me to be with. I did my work, I was paid, and then he left. Then a week later, he came by again, then gain. Just as before, I did my job and got the money, but the last time he did it, he didn't pay me. I told him that I did my part now it's his turn. He just had this smugness on him that I do not respect in people. He then told me of a proposition, I could leave that hell and make my own establishment. He told me to think it over then he set my pay on the table and left."

Diamond was silent for a long time, thinking. Annie swallowed as she reached over to Diamond's hand and held it tight. Diamond turned to Annie to see her blush a touch. Even Diamond shown a tiny blush by this.

"I guess this proposition was for you to come here?"

Diamond smiled a touch squeezing Annie’s hand in return. "Yes, he told me that I was the type that didn't belong there. So he offered me a chance to make my own business."

"Why a brothel?" Annie asked curiously.

Diamond thought about her answer for a bit then smiled. "Generosity."

"Huh?"

"Generosity. Think about this, Annie. Out of all the brothels you have seen, do you see them taken care of or clean or even given a protected place?"

Annie blushed thinking. "Um, no. Well this place was the first place I knew of a brothel."

Diamond chuckled. "Right I forgot for a moment." Annie blushed pulling off her hat to scratch her head, she set her hat next to her on the bed. "Well, I guess I want to make a clean and happy place for a brothel. When I came here, there were three other brothel and they were simply horrible. The girl were treated unfairly and everything. So after I got the Sweetie Belle built, I went to all three brothel and told the girls to come and work for me.

"Then almost every working girl in Frontier City came to the Sweetie Belle and they were given better care, food, water, even baths."

Annie blinked at that. "Really?"

"Some of them were filthy and covered in lice. Of course in a town like ours, in the beginning it was a messy, messy place."

Annie was amazed. "Wow,"

Diamond chuckled at her shocked face.

"So this owner, who is he?"

Diamond looked angered as she rubbed her face with her free hand.

"The man is known as Reginald. I don't even know his last name, something to do with his other occupation." Annie nodded slowly.

"And he owns this town? Why?"

Diamond shrugged. "I don’t know really." She said truthfully. "If he has the money, I'm sure he could do whatever he wants with it."

Annie nodded, then she smiled. "Just curious,"

"Yes?"

"Why did you ask if I had a happy life when you're a farmer yourself?"

Diamond smiled at that. "Maybe just a hope that my family was the exception to the normal farm family life."

Annie smiled stroking Diamond's hand with her finger. "We're alike in a sense." She admitted. Diamond was watching Annie's finger interested, actually feeling Annie relax beside her.

"What happened with your family? Were they just as horrible as mine?"

Annie shrugged. "I guess. But the Apples are a growing family. I was the baby, like you."

Diamond giggled blushing.

"And well as you can see I was the odd ball of my sisters. I wasn't loved by them but my Momma. She died while I was still little and I just learned to ignore the feelings of sadness. No one liked me so I tried my hardest to at least make them happy. But in the end, they never cared what I did."

Diamond patted Annie's hand with her own. Annie continued on, even though her heart was beating faster by that extra contact.

"Then I got married," Diamond blinked at this a little shocked. "But it wasn't perfect."

"How long were you married?" Diamond asked a little freaked out. She thought Annie was single and alone. Annie shrugged.

"Only a year."

Diamond blinked. "Where is he now?"

Annie smirked. "Back at Manehattan, at his dank sheep farm."

Diamond smiled at that seeing Annie at ease. "Alright, now it's my turn to ask," Diamond said seeing Annie look to her. "How did you come by here sugar?" Annie sighed.

"It was all Melody. I lived with my husband, doing nothing but cook, clean, and try to learn how to knit with my large fingers. So one day she came by and the two of us talked about this Frontier City trip. I was scared to do it, but Melody had a point. She woke me up harshly, but she was right. She told me no one cared for me, they never loved me there. Since my Mama died, I lost all sense of freedom."

Diamond scooted a little closer. Annie blushed feeling Diamond pressed against her side. Diamond took Annie's chin with her fingers and steered her face towards her.

"Tell me sugar, do you feel free now?" Diamond asked in a whispered. Annie swallowed not even flinching away. She just stared into Diamond’s blue eyes feeling something she never felt before. Diamond stoked her cheek smiling a touch.

"I…" Annie whispered as Diamond came closer and closer to her face. "I ..." Diamond then pressed her lips against hers. Annie felt the shock wave flow through her as those lips touched hers. For those split seconds, Annie's daemons came back reminding her of what she was taught. She would be damned for kissing Diamond, she's a woman! Not a man! And what was even worse, she's a whore! She's all these nasty things Annie couldn’t associate herself with.

But yet, during those flight thoughts, she started to think how nice the kiss felt. It was sweet, soft, nothing like the way her husband kissed. He hardly kissed her at all. She reluctantly kissed back slowly reaching her hand up to Diamond's cheek to hold her there a bit longer.

After a few seconds, Diamond pulled back smiling. Annie opened her eyes staring at her now shocked and blushing again. Diamond kept that satisfied smile on her face seeing Annie’s reaction. It was adorable, a mixed look of shock, fear, and excitement. She wanted more but yet she didn't.

Annie swallowed, licking her lips, turning away. Diamond frowned worried.

"I've never felt like that before." Annie whispered with fear rubbing her arms.

"Was it good?" Diamond asked. Annie shrugged turning to her.

"Yes, I mean no ... I'm confused." Diamond placed her hand on hers again, causing Annie to jump and turn to her.

"What do you feel?" She asked. Annie gulped.

"Scared,"

"Its normal to be scared, sugar." Annie nodded slowly. She slowly raised her hand to diamond’s face, gently stroking her finger down her powdered cheek.

"Hey, Annie!" Annie and Diamond jumped and turned to see Melody standing at the door. Annie immediately dropped her hands to her lap, blushing. "Maxine wants to talk to us about our first job."

Annie nodded quickly getting up off the bed and headed to the door after Melody. Diamond blinked seeing Annie's hat left on the bed as the blonde was already running after Melody forgetting her hat. Diamond took the hat into her hands looking it over. She smiled thinking of keeping it out knew Annie wasn't Annie without her hat. She got off the bed and quickly ran after them. Annie was just at the door when Diamond left the secret hall.

"Wait a minute! An- Miss Apple!" Annie stopped and turned to her to see Diamond holding her hat in her hands. "You forgot your hat." Annie blushed seeing the hat then reached up to her head to feel only her hair.

"Oh, wow, thank ya kindly, Miss. Belle." Annie said ready to take the hat, but Diamond took it back. "Hey-" Diamond gave her a smile as she fixed Annie's hair with her hand before setting the brown hat on Annie’s head. Annie felt her hand stroke her hair behind her ear then held her chin.

"Next time, I might take it." Diamond said with a small smile. Annie smiled in return rubbing the back of her neck.

"I'll remember that." Diamond quickly leaned in and placed a light peck on Annie's cheek. Annie blushed but a small smile tried to spread on her face as she backed away with her hands behind her back. She backed into the doorframe knocking her hat forward over her face with a yelp. Annie pulled her hat off looking behind her blushing even harder seeing Diamond covering her mouth with her hand trying hard not to laugh at the silly look to Annie's face.

"Uh there was a wall there." Annie said lamely as she placed her hat on her head and quickly left the tavern running to Melody. Diamond walked over to window to watch Annie getting a scolding by Melody before walking off. Annie stopped in the road and turned to the tavern to see Diamond smiling at her. Annie looked around her then smiled at Diamond tipping her hat. Diamond made a small wave in return.

Annie ran after Melody to the Sheriff’s Office. Diamond sighed leaning against the wall. She turned seeing Rose and Berry looking at her funny.

Diamond smiled walked past them heading for her private room. She kissed Annie, she actually kissed her back, and Annie didn’t run away. And Annie seemed to have feelings for it. She had never felt like this in so long, it made her giddy like a little girl all over again.

Once she reached her private room and laid down in her bed she just stared at the ceiling reimagining the kiss over and over again. It was that magical to her. She turned grabbing her pillow and held it close as she started giggling with excitement. She had never been this excited for anything in a long time. Is Annie truly the one for her? If she was then Titania just gave her the second chance she had prayed for years.

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>

Annie and Melody were walking when there was a call for them.

"Annie! Melody!" The sisters turned to see Tinker running over, dressed in her dirty soot clothes.

"Hey Tink," Melody called as the younger girl stopped before them panting.

"What's the matter?" Annie asked with worry.

Tinker straightened up, pointing behind her down the street. "I went to the shop to pick up some things and Velvet and her meanie, husband were arguing. It was very bad!"

The sisters looked at one another with sock. Annie was more terrified. "Is Velvet alright?" She asked.

"I think so,"

"So why come to us?" Melody asked wondering what to do. They weren't the law only hired guns and Skytalon or Dust hadn't told them they could deal with the town affairs.

"Velvet was talking about a she and that meanie was saying that he will sell her to a slaughter house."

Annie immediately ran down the road. "Annie?" Melody called out as Annie started sprinting to the shop. Tinker scratched her head with worry on her face.

"It as a bad argument, I think Velvet go hurt."

Melody gulped. She looked between the directions to the shop then to the direction of the Sheriff office. She groaned and started running to the shop with Tinker following behind.

When Annie reached the shop everything seemed normal. She went starting for the door but stopped hearing sobbing. She climbed down the steps to the ground then went to the side. She walked where the sobbing grew louder and Annie could see Twilight's stall with Twilight's tail pointed to the outside.

Annie walked over carefully, hearing the sobbing louder now as she neared the stall. Annie looked up towards the horse's head to see Twilight's brown ears pointed behind her, hearing Annie approach. Twilight turned with a snort, her ear perked up recognizing Annie. Annie knocked on the stall wall hearing a gasp inside the stall.

"Velvet?" Annie called into the stall. Twilight lowered her head to nuzzle Velvet's head. Annie opened the stall door and entered the tiny stall. "Velvet, it's me Annie." Annie said calmly and gently as she knelt down on her knee before the poor girl.

Velvet looked up at her from crying. Annie looked up at Twilight for permission to sit with her mistress. Twilight snorted and carefully twisted around to where she watched out the door as Annie sat down in the hay next to Velvet. Velvet was silent for a long while. Annie looked up hearing Twilight make a snort and stomped her hoof on the ground. Annie could see Melody and Tinker looking into the stall. Annie waved them back telling them to back away. Melody nodded stepping back pulling Tinker with her away.

Annie sighed pulling off her hat scratching her head.

"You think I'm pathetic don’t you?" Velvet whispered.

Annie shook her head. "I do not."

"But you were right about everything and I was too scared to do anything." Velvet whispered crying again. "But I could’ve ran off and left him, but I couldn't!"

Annie wrapped her arm around her holding her close. "It's all right, honey."

"But you were right! About everything!" Velvet pressed her face to her arms again crying.

Annie wrapped both her arms around her, letting the poor girl cry into her chest.

"Tinker told me that she overheard you and Amos fighting over something. What happened?"

Velvet sniffed looking up at her. "Amos ... wanted to get rid of Twilight."

Annie blinked then looked up seeing Twilight flick her blonde tail.

"Why?"

"Twilight's not a working horse. She's just a riding horse, she's my best friend and Amos told me either she works and makes money or he will take her away to be-" Velvet sobbed again gripping tightly to Annie's coat. Annie patted Velvet's back. Amos wanted Twilight gone, and Velvet tried to stop him. And by the look of Velvet, Amos must have smacked her around during the argument.

"What are you going to do with Twilight?" Annie asked with worry.

"I won't see Twilight being taken for slaughter!" Velvet sniffed. "She's the only friend I have. I want to grow old with her, I want to see her in a pretty pasture happy with other fillies and colts. Horse Gods what can I do?"

Annie looked at Twilight then at Velvet. There was an idea that popped up, but she wasn't sure how she could get away with it. When Annie and Melody were given bigger jobs around town, they had to have horses to travel from one place to another. Melody picked a pretty black and white spotted mare for her traveling partner. But Annie couldn't find the perfect horse to bond with. They were either too mean, stingy, or even bashful.

But now this situation suddenly landed in her lap, she could take Twilight and keep her alive and give Velvet the ease of seeing her horse whenever she wanted. Also Annie will have a horse to travel with. She sighed.

"Velvet,"

Velvet looked up sniffling.

"How much for the horse."

Velvet sniffed. "What?"

Annie took her hands and helped her up to her feet.

"How much would you take for me to take Twilight off your hands?" Twilight made a surprised whinny looking over at the two of them. Velvet looked at her as if shocked and angered. Suddenly the gears started turning in her frazzled mind. She looked between Annie and Twilight then back at Annie. Annie took Velvet’s hands into hers.

"I can't accept your money, I mean I ..."

"I'll take her off your hands and keep her from Amos. Would that help you?"

Velvet looked to Twilight, biting her lip with worry and sadness. After a long moment she sighed reaching over to the wall of the stall to pull off the leather halter off the hook on the wall. She walked over in front of Twilight stroking her face for a long moment. Annie stepped out of the stall leaving them alone, knowing the answer. She stopped seeing Melody and Tinker waiting for her.

"What's up? Is Velvet alright?" Melody asked curiously. Tinker was next to her wringing her hands with worry.

Annie sighed tipping back her hat. "They had a bad argument about someone. It got pretty bad."

"Who?" Melody and Tinker asked.

They turned hearing the stall door open in a creak. Velvet walked out wiping her bruised face as she lead out the brown and white splotched mare with a blonde mane. Melody and Tinker were in shock seeing the horse actually out of her stall. She looked skinnier than a normal well fed horse. Velvet lead the thin horse over to them. She swallowed hard stroking Twilight's neck.

"I trust you, Annie." Velvet said seriously looking to Annie. Annie nodded slowly. Velvet sniffed hugging Twilight then kissed her on her cheek. Twilight looked sad and confused wondering what was going on.

"Twilight," She whispered. "You'll be better off with Annie." She said sadly hugging her around her neck. "You'll be safe with her and away from Amos and he won't hurt you." Twilight flicked her ear hearing every word. Velvet sniffed handing the rope leash to Annie. Tinker started crying , pulling out a handkerchief crying.

"Please take care of her." Annie gingerly took the line of rope and nodded.

"You'll always come and see her whenever you want Velvet. She's still you're horse, I'm just caring for her for you." Annie said with a small sad smile. "Don’t worry, Twilight and I will be fine."

Annie held out her hand to Twilight. Twilight looked between Velvet and Annie. Velvet nodded and started backing away.

"Go on girl, it's alright. I'll see you when I can."

Twilight snorted unsure what to do. Annie clicked her tongue to get her attention again. She carefully and gently stepped forward, reaching her hand out, showing Twilight her hand. Twilight's ears flicked forward to her as she too took a step forward, sniffing her hand then her sleeve. Annie reached up, gently to stroking Twilight's face and then around her ears.

"Good, girl," Annie whispered soothingly. "Good girl, Twilight." Twilight still looked confused as she turned back to see Velvet watching with tears pouring from her. Annie sighed turning to her.

"I do mean what I said, Velvet, you are welcome to see her whenever you can. I'm sure Twilight will love to see you."

Velvet nodded wiping her eyes. "Thank you, Annie. This does help much more than you realize."

"I know." Annie said tipping her hat. "Have a nice day, Velvet. I'll take real good care of Twilight." Velvet nodded as she walked to the side door and opened it. She stopped watching Annie coax Twilight to follow her away from the shop. Velvet disappeared inside the shop closing the door behind her.

Annie, Melody, and Tinker walked to the road where they stopped.

"What was that about?" Melody asked.

Annie shrugged as she smiled at the young mare following her.

"I think I just got me a new partner."

Melody winced seeing how thin Twilight looked. "Well that might take a while. She has to fatten up before you could ride her." Melody said with a light backhand slap to Annie's stomach. Annie growled at that, rubbing her stomach.

"I'm not that big!"

"Naw, you're just muscle heavy."

Annie grinned then blinked processed the wording. "Hey!"

Tinker gasped. "Oh I can help. Twily can stay with me at my barn. I'll feed her the good stuff like I give Remington."

"Twily?" The sisters asked confused.

"What? It's a cute name. Anyway you two go on ahead. I'm sure the Sheriff would want you guys now." Annie sighed.

"I better take her myself, Tink." Annie turned to Melody. "Are you alright if you go on your own? Just come and get me when you get the job."

Melody sighed. "Fine, but you owe me."

Melody took off to the Sheriff's Office, while Tinker and Annie lead Twilight to Tinker's barn.

Author's Note:

Here is Chapter 8. The ball is rolling down the plot track.

The new revolver Melody was given is called a Remington New Model Army 1863. Oh yes and the picture of the gumbo. Did you know there are so many different recipes of Gumbo? I was blown away by that. So I thought of using the chicken and sausage recipe for the story. Doesn't that look good though?

Alright so what did you guys think? You think I was a little too fast with getting Diamond to make the first move? It just felt like the perfect moment to me at the time. As for you OctaScratch lovers, Melody and Rose will have their moment. Just not yet. Rose is tougher than Octavia was so that will make it a little fun.:raritywink: What about Twilight the horse, did you expect that?

Anyway, Chapter 9 will be up when I get it done.