• Published 5th Jan 2014
  • 1,672 Views, 216 Comments

Tales of Apple Scratch: Just Another Wild West Story - TigerSwirl448



An Apple Scratch Sisters side-story. Melody Liker (Vinyl's ancestor) and her sister Annabelle "Annie" Apple (AJ's ancestor) left their home of Manehattan to live their dreams in the boom town of Frontier City.

  • ...
10
 216
 1,672

Ch. 7: Drunk Advise

Chapter 7

Drunk Advise

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>


After that first meeting with Diamond, I was scared. I felt violated though she didn't do anything besides touching me on my buttock. But the thing I remember the most was maybe a small glimmer of love. I wasn't sure at the time. I went from being a woman to a sniveling little girl again. I was that terrified. Melody returned from town with this look on her face. She was worried, awfully worried. She came to our campfire and pulled out of her pack some bread for me. I thanked her and ate my dinner.

Melody sat there watching me eat my bread. She was very concerned for me. Then finally she asked me some questions of what Diamond did. I answered all the best I could in my frazzled state. And then I asked Melody who she was. Melody told me Diamond's name again and what her job was, which shocked me. A whore, no a whore mother, tried to get on me?! I was panicking all over again. Melody screamed out and slapped me in the face, snapping me out of it. She apologized for the slap but I let her know that I needed the slap to wake up. That night Melody and I practically held each other during the night. The night was so cold that it was hard to stay warm.

The next morning, Melody and I went straight to town to find a way in keeping warm and cozy. But no such luck. It seemed that all the rooms of each establishment was taken by a worker of the town. Which meant no prospectors allowed. Melody was furious, but I knew the reason. I saw the reason standing outside a tavern. Ace Kicker was there with his long rifle looking at us with worry. He told us that he was assigned to the hotel to keep people from causing a ruckus. He even apologized that the law stated that no prospectors could stay. Melody was angry while I was trying hard to calm her down. I then told him of our situation and what Velvet told me about the store.

Ace looked pained about the subject of Velvet. He told us that he might have an idea, and it was only for us. Ace led Melody and I back to Tinker's barn. Just as before, we were given the excited entrance of the young woman. Ace asked her if we could stay and Tinker said she'll love the company. So we gathered out things from our square and moved in with Tinker.

At first it was annoying, but after a while Melody and I got along with Tinker. I even got to watch how she made gunpowder. It was a bit nerve wracking about how to make it and what precautions that were needed to make it. Especially when she said that it was highly flammable and very dangerous. I just left it to her since I knew I was no help anyways.

After we moved in with Tinker, we heard a rallying cry about a wedding in progress. Melody and I grabbed out coats and headed off with Tinker behind us. We found the church and inside was what I feared. It was Velvet and she wasn't happy standing before Amos. When the preacher said the words and those rings went on their fingers, I knew she made her choice. I kept fiddling with my ring remembering the feeling of hopelessness. It was like reliving a nightmare of fear.

Everyone cheered for the new couple when it was done, except for me. I left the room after the vows. Some would call it rude, but I could care less what they thought. Velvet was forced to marry a man she never liked and I tried to help, but it wasn't enough. Now she's trapped and there was nothing I could do to help. Just as I left, I noticed Ace was sitting on a bench by the church, with a bottle of whiskey in his hand. I watched him as his glazed eyes stared into nothing. I felt horrible for him. I left him alone on the bench and headed back to Tinker's barn. Something tells me I'm not the only one that felt the guilt of failure.

After the wedding, things got worse. Old Jupiter sent us a hell of a storm and buried everyone in snow. The church was customized into a makeshift hospital because there were so many of the prospectors that were sick or frozen. It just goes to show what good would shelter do in this type of situation. I prayed to Epona for the poor souls but also for giving me and Melody an opportunity to be with Tinker.

One day when the snow was bearable enough, I went to the shop to buy some supplies for the next wave of snow. When I came in, I saw Velvet working at the counter. She looked up and blinked in shock seeing me. And I remembered the poor girl's eye, it was swollen. I opened my mouth to say something when I heard Amos walk over. I glared at him and he glared back. He told me unless I want to buy something, I should leave. I grabbed some sacks of feed for Tinker's mule and some stuff for Melody and I. I paid the amount watching Velvet the whole time. She looked ashamed of seeing me. Amos shoved the contents to me and told me to leave. I left, wishing I could have done something for Velvet.

Nothing really happened over the winter. Only staying warm and making sure the fire was still lit. Most of the time I would help Tinker with the forge or cleaning up her messes. Melody though would be sitting up in the hayloft carving from the unused firewood. She made an assortment of figurines not to mention flutes. I knew that Melody had a knack for playing instruments, but she claimed it stopped once her parents left her behind. Throughout the winter, Melody crafted fifteen figurines of various people, six flutes and recorders, and then she was in the process of making a banjo, using the left over metal pieces and hide Tinker doesn't use anymore.

Finally when the warmer weather came, Winter Wrap Up was in full swing, or so I thought. When I was ready to help, there was nothing happening. Only normal day to day routine. No cleaning, no smiling, no playing, only work. Melody reminded me that this was Griffin land not Equestrian. It was sad though. Melody and I left Tinker's place and headed for an opened bar. So far no bar was open, many of the taverns were closed due to winter storm damage. Only one bar was open though, The Sweetie Belle. I remembered the fluttering in my heart nearing that place. Melody sighed and said that we were only there for food and drink, nothing else.

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>

The moment the sisters entered the bar, the room was lively with activity. Annie blushed seeing many of the girls kissing or loving the men in their chairs. Melody tipped back her hat, looking straight to the stage to find it empty, which was new. Berry looked up seeing them and immediately went still, she reached under the counter and pulled out a Colt revolver, setting it on the counter. Several patrons at the bar turned seeing the sisters.

"When Diamond's not around, I'm in charge." Berry growled threateningly.

"Relax," Melody said holding up her hands. Now everyone was looking at them, some of the girls in the back ran upstairs, probably looking for Diamond. "We're only here for food and drink, nothing more, nothing less." Melody said loudly looking around. She lifted up her coat to show no weapons attached to her belt. She turned to Annie elbowing her in the side. Annie blushed pulling up her jacket to reveal the same empty belt.

This didn't ease the bartender. "How do I know you're not hiding anything nasty?"

"Look Berry," Melody said glaring at her. "All of the taverns are closed and so we had no choice but to come here."

"Or not come at all." One of the working girls barked. Melody and Annie turned. Melody blinked to see that the girl was Rose. She walked over glaring at her. Melody was silent, staring at her purple eyes. Annie looked between the two women wondering about the two.

"I-it's true," Annie said flustered. "We were told to go to another bar and this one is open with no damage." Rose and Berry looked at one another then at her. Rose looked to Annie with a growing smile.

"Let me guess, you must be Annie Apple, hmm?"

Annie blushed hiding behind Melody. "Uh yes ma'am. How'd you know my name?"

Rose laughed. "Diamond was right, you are adorable."

Annie squeaked then covered her mouth, causing Rose to laugh harder. Melody blushed too, glaring at Rose.

"Listen girl,"

"Girl?" Rose asked looking at her funny. "I'm twenty for your information, Miss. Liker."

"Well I see you seem to remember my name." Melody said crossing her arms across her chest.

"You're hard to forget." Rose said with a quirked brow.

Melody chuckled shaking her head. "I do have that impression on people, even girls like you." Melody said leaning forward, smiling. Rose chuckled pushing Melody back.

"Perhaps," then she frowned at her. "But you still have a lot to prove before any girl here beds with you, Miss. Liker." Melody blinked then growled.

Annie grabbed Melody's shoulders and pulled her back. "Uh we only came for something to eat and drink, not to brawl Melody." Annie reminded her. Melody groaned pushing off Annie's hands then fixed her coat.

"Annie's right." She growled glaring at Rose. "We're only here for food and drink." She took a stool and sat down at the counter. Annie sat next to her smiling at Berry. Rose sniffed.

"Well, then I hope you don't find anything nasty in your soup."

"Rose!" A voice gasped. Everyone turned to see Diamond Belle walking down the stairs with several girls watching from behind her. "We have customers." Diamond chastised as she reached the bottom. Rose was blushing turning from the sisters to Diamond.

"B-b-but Diamond, you know who these two are!" Rose blurted pointing at the sisters.

"Yes I do," Diamond said distastefully giving Melody a glare. Melody glared back as Berry placed a glass of liquor before her and Annie. "And we are welcome to all." She said walking over to the corner stool, sitting next to Melody. "No matter how distasteful the customers are." Melody glared at her taking a sip of her drink. Diamond then smirked seeing Annie looking at her. Annie jumped blushing seeing Diamond's smile.

"Well, how have you been, sugar?" She purred. Annie grabbed her drink and took a big gulp, swallowing. She coughed rubbing her throat.

"I-I-I'm doing fine." Annie answered. Diamond chuckled.

"Well that's good to hear. The last time I saw you was at Velvet's wedding."

Annie jumped again then frowned, her blush gone. She bowed her head tapping the counter. Diamond noticed this a once.

"Are you alright?" She asked with concern.

Annie shrugged dunking back the rest of her drink. Melody turned to see Annie upset. Melody sighed rubbing her face.

"Annie's been beating herself up over the whole wedding deal." Melody answered for her.

Rose looked between the sisters then to Diamond shrugging. Diamond sighed.

"Hmm, seems she's not the only one." She said.

"Hmm?" Melody asked. Annie looked over confused. Diamond pointed at the other side of the room. Sitting at the corner table was Ace Kicker, sleeping on his arms. Standing around him were empty bottles of liquor. Melody blinked with shock seeing the proud deputy like that. "How long has he been like this?" Melody asked with shock. Rose shrugged with a sigh.

"He's been here since Velvet's wedding." Diamond nodded with a sad look in her eye.

"Poor dear, he's been drinking and eating and sleeping here since the wedding. I don't mind him staying here, he keeps everyone on their best behavior. But lately," Diamond sighed shaking her head. Melody felt bad for the man. She looked to Annie with worry. Annie looked at her and blinked.

"What?" She asked. Melody shook her head turning back to Ace. She slipped off her stool and started forward.

"What are you doing?" Rose asked.

"I'm going to go and talk to him."

"Sugar," Diamond said warningly. "I wouldn't."

Melody glared at her. "He's a friend." She went off without a second thought. Diamond sighed shaking her head. Rose watched her with surprise.

Melody walked straight to Ace hearing him snore. She winced smelling the liquor around him. She moved the empty bottles to the near table behind her, then she sat down on a chair before him.

"Hey, Kicker?" She said placing her hand on his shoulder and shook him. He let out a groan but continued sleeping. Melody sighed.

"Kicker!" She screamed out, this time he sat up with a yelp, pulling out his gun, looking around. He looked horrible, his eyes were red with bags under them, his hair was a greasy mess, he now has a dark blond beard growing on his face, and his breath stank horribly. Definitely the total opposite of his usual clean self.

"What?!" He grouched out squinting his eyes at Melody. "Who're you?"

Melody held up her hands. "Kicker, it's Melody. Melody Liker."

Ace blinked lazily. "Liker, huh. Never slept with a girl called Liker before."

Melody groaned applying hand to face. "No you idiot. The girl that stayed with Tinker."

Ace blinked another few times then gasped. "Oh." He groaned setting the gun on the table rubbing his face. He yawned stretching his limbs. "So, what's going on, did Tinker do something I should know about?" He groaned laying his heavy head on his crossed arms.

"No," Melody said watching him.

"Really?" Ace asked looking up at her. "Then what are you doing here?"

Melody sighed. "Well winter's over, and well I guess you being here for most of the winter is unsettling. I'm sure Skytalon will be wanting you in fit shape. Not drunk on your ass."

Ace glared at her then turned away. "I don’t need you to mother me."

Melody glare at him. "Look Kicker, I see you as a friend. And what would Tinker think when she sees you like this?"

Kicker sighed sadly rubbing his face again, scratching his thin beard. "Look Melody, things are just going bad for me right now."

"I know, it's about Velvet." Ace stiffened looking at her. "You liked her bad, huh?"

Ace snorted. "More like loved her bad." He looked around then grabbed a half filled bottle and took a swig. "She's just so pretty and ..." He sighed sadly, shaking his head.

"What kept you from going up her skirts? I thought you were a Casanova of the town?"

Ace glared at her. "There is a difference between Velvet and other girls!" He snapped. "She's ..." He blushed harshly turning away. "Look, I knew Velvet back in Canterlot."

This got Melody to blink turning to him. "You're from Canterlot?"

Ace shrugged. "Yeah, I lived in Canterlot for a time. And I worked with Velvet's brothers in the new guard. We became friends." He whispered sadly. “I liked her a lot, but I was married." He said with a sigh. Melody blinked at this.

"Wait, you were hitched? I thought you were,"

"Single? Yeah, I am." He grouched taking another long swig of the bottle.

"Wow," Melody whispered. "What happened?"

Ace shook his head. "Being in the law can be a challenge. I slept with the Captain's wife." Melody winced seeing his nod. "Yep, I got discharged and I was going to be arrested."

"For sleeping with his wife?"

"She called rape." He spat. "Damn bitch." He snarled. "She was the one that planned the whole thing, while the Captain left for border patrol, she called me over and we had our night stand. Then one night turned to three. And then suddenly a rumor spread that I slept with her. Then suddenly here came the police."

Melody gulped watching him crack before her. "After being discharged, I was told to turn myself in. But I knew it all as a lie so why should I?" Ace asked. He chuckled. "My wife learned and told me to divorce her, she won't be known to marry a rapist."

Melody was silent as Ace wiped his eyes. The drink was causing this, but it was horrible. Melody patted his hand.

"I'm sorry Kicker."

Ace snorted. "Bah, what could you have done? I was an immature son of a bitch that didn't get out the heat years."

"So why couldn't you be with Velvet?" Melody asked curiously.

"Like I said before. Being in the law challenges things. If I wanted to be with Velvet I would have been killed out here by Amos. Amos owns her now and I'm off limits to her even by breathing the air she breathes, I'm trespassing! I don't want to feel that guilt and pain again."

Melody turned to see the three women watching her. Melody turned back to Ace. "How long were you married?"

"Three years. Two of them I’ve spent in the royal guard barracks."

"Any kids?"

"One, but he probably doesn't even know that I exist. He's a Kicker but I doubt she would give him the name."

Melody nodded slowly. "I'm sorry, Ace." Ace shrugged again. Melody sighed standing up. "Come on Ace, you have to get up. I'm sure Skytalon will be wanting you back on duty." Ace laughed shaking his head.

"No way will she have me on the force like this." Melody thought for a moment. Ace smirked chuckling. "You know, I bet the western guns are stuck in the mountains in that snow." Melody looked at him strangely. Ace winked at her. "Maybe the Sheriff is now hiring for extra guns to join her law enforcement."

Melody scratched her head, wondering what Ace as doing. "What are you talking about?"

Ace smirked. "I doubt you and Annie want to live out in the elements again, right? Being part of the force will get you money and a roof over your head."

"So you have a place?"

"Of course. I work for the town. As a worker of this town, I can live in the motel rooms. Not to mention I get a lot of pay."

Melody blinked hearing this with a small curl of a smile. "Really now, how much are we talking about now?"

"Depending on the job, you could get about one hundred bits per job."

Melody's mouth watered at that amount. "You're joking right?"

"No joke, where do you think I got these nice snake hide boots?" He asked tapping the table. "Trust me Liker, I bet you'll do better with that job."

Melody was ready to make her plans but something wasn't right. "Why are you telling me this? Is it the drink?" Melody asked severely. Ace sighed.

"Maybe, but I mean what I said Melody Liker. I remember you watching the hired guns, the mercenaries in the fall."

Melody sighed. "Yeah, I heard they were paid well."

Ace nodded. "Like I said before. A lot of money, a roof over your head, and not to mention you can use your revolver again." Melody blinked at this. She desperately wanted her gun back. Her life was fine but her old revolver would make her feel safer than before.

"Thanks, Kicker. That was a great help." Melody stood up.

"Glad to be of service." Ace said chuckling before drinking again. Melody smirked at him as she returned to Annie. Rose was back on stage playing the piano, Diamond was still sitting at the bar eating something from a bowl, watching Annie as she experimented with her bowl. She looked over seeing Melody walking to the door.

"Melody?" Annie yelped. "Where are you going?"

Melody turned to her with a smile. "Be back soon ‘kay? Just got a little something to do."

Melody left the bar. Annie squeaked looking over to see Diamond smiling at her fluttering her eyes. "Now that we're alone,"

Annie gulped. "Melody wait for me!" Annie dashed to the doors leaving Diamond smiling. Diamond sighed in disappointment looking to Berry.

"Damnit," She snorted. Berry chuckled taking the bowl and drink glass.

"I just don’t see what you find interesting about that freak of nature." Berry said shaking her head.

Diamond chuckled as Berry smiled back. "You just don’t see her like I do, sugar." Diamond turned to see Rose in prefect poise as she played the piano. "And I think Rose can see it too."

"Huh?" Berry asked with surprise.

"Nothing dear." Diamond said taking a sip of her drink.

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>

Melody turned hearing Annie right behind her panting. "Don’t leave me with that crazy devil woman!" Annie cried. Melody groaned, face palming.

"Annie, you didn't have to shout that."

"I did?" Annie asked noticing people staring at them. "I did ... Ahem, pardon." She said chuckling nervously. Melody sighed, walking forward. Annie followed her.

"Where are you going?" Annie asked curiously.

"I'm going to get us a job."

Annie stopped. "Huh? Aren't we prospectors?" Annie asked following her.

"We were Annie." Melody said severely. "There is nothing out there for us. And no matter what, we get nothing for the work we've done."

Annie blinked thinking. "I guess you're right."

Melody nodded. "Of course, I'm right. And not to worry, this job will be perfect for us."

Annie gulped. "And what job is that?"

Melody didn't answer only grinned. They stopped in front of the Sheriff's office.

"Uh Melody?"

"Yeah?"

"We're at the Sheriff's Office."

"Yep,"

"What are we doing here?"

Melody was silent. Annie gulped. Melody sighed looking at Annie.

"Listen, just let me do the talking okay?"

Annie gulped and nodded. "Okay, I trust you on this, Melody."

Melody smirked at her. "Of course you do. Now let’s go."

Melody opened the door with Annie behind her. They turned to see Maxine at the desk, she looked up with surprise to see the sisters.

"Well if it ain't the Equestrian Sisters, what can I do for you?" She asked sweetly, smiling at Annie the most. Annie gulped moving behind Melody. Melody smirked at Maxine.

"I heard from a source of the law that you're hiring some extra guns."

Maxine blinked frowning. "Uh sure, what about it?"

"My sister and I would like to sign up and work for you."

Maxine blinked a couple of times then stood up. "Uh let me go find Skytalon and she'll hear about this." Maxine left the sisters alone as she entered a separate room.

"I don’t like her looking at me like that." Annie whispered.

Melody sighed. "Look, everything will be fine, promise."

"I hope so." Maxine came back with Yelena behind her. Annie gulped as Melody smiled.

"So," Yelena started looking them over. "Maxine told me that you two want to work for us as hired guns?"

"That’s right." Melody said smiling.

Yelena looked to Maxine to see her shrug her shoulders. Yelena snorted. "Why do you want to work in this job?"

Melody shrugged. "We're daring, number one. We're a great team and we could use the money."

Yelena snorted before laughing. "You know kid, I'm starting to like you." She frowned again. "Only a start." Yelena sighed. "What type of things can you do?" She asked.

Melody looked to Annie. "Well number one, I'm a Titantian so I can do all sorts of magic, also I can plan things. Annie here is the muscle and also she's a sharp shooter."

"Really?" Yelena asked looking at Annie the most. "You can shoot and have the muscles? Not common for a girl."

Annie blushed. "Well yeah, I'm a farmer. I worked all my life as a farmer. I'm bigger and stronger than most girls my age."

Maxine chuckled. "That's an understatement." Yelena growled shutting her up.

Yelena looked at her hip at her revolver then at Annie and Melody. "Follow me." She ordered walking outside. The two sisters followed her out. Yelena walked to the side of the Sheriff's Office to a small corral and barn full of horses. "Here," She said patting the wall of the barn, painted on the barn was a black and white target circle.

"Try to land a shot closest to the center circle." She reached to her hip and pulled out her revolver. "Here, you can use mine." Annie caught the gun looking at the Sheriff. "Go on and take a shot." Annie nodded as she pulled back the hammer, standing at the ready. She breathed out then pulled the trigger. After the bang Melody, Yelena, and Maxine saw the hole in the center of the target.

"No way!" Maxine gasped as Yelena ran to the wall to double check. The shot was fresh and right on the center ring. She turned to Annie with shock.

"Impossible, no one could make that shot! Not even me!"

Annie blushed at the praise. "Well I have been shooting at sharp shooting games at Las Pegasus and I won every single one."

Yelena and Maxine looked at one another in shock.

"You’re hired." Yelena said with a growing smile.

"Really?" The sisters asked.

"Yeah," Yelena said with one arm around Annie's shoulders.

"Just like that?" Annie asked.

Yelena chuckled. "That's right Equestrian. I think you'll be the perfect asset in our office.”

"What about me?” Melody asked smiling. Yelena and Maxine stared at Melody.

"Hmm, I don’t know." Yelena said scrutinizing Melody. Melody growled then smiled.

"Might I have a quick word with you please?" Melody waited for Yelena to follow her. Yelena pushed Annie to Maxine.

"Keep testing her. Try her strength. I want to know if that's true too."

Maxine chuckled grabbing Annie by her arm and pulled her away. "Yeah, let's see if what you said was true." Annie gulped with a blush as Maxine dragged her away. Yelena glared at Melody. Once the two women were gone, Melody glared at her.

"Look, you can't have Annie without me." Melody growled.

"Why not?" Yelena asked.

"Because she's stupid, she doesn't understand things without me there to help her along. She's nothing without me there to guide her to the right direction, see?"

"She seems smart enough to me."

"Well she's not!" Melody growled. "Look at it this way. I control Annie. She's my dog and I'm her master. Got it?" Yelena thought this over. "Listen Skytalon," Melody said getting her attention. "Trust me on this when I do say that she and I make a perfect team. We'll both get your jobs done and Annie will be the perfect member for your law enforcement, I promise you that."

Yelena thought a little longer. "Hmm, so she is really that stupid, huh?"

"More like naïvely stupid. I'll lead her to the right direction."

Yelena nodded. "Alright fine, but if I find out you've been pulling my feathers, then you'll get more than a slap in the wrist, Liker."

Melody smiled holding out her hand. "A deal then?"

Yelena took her hand and shook it firmly. "Alright, I'll send Maxine to get you when I have a job. Oh, and Liker, one little thing."

"Yeah?"

"You work only for the boss. He's the owner of the town and he's the head boss you look to. And when he's not around, I'm in charge and take his orders. So if he sends us a job, you'll be doing it."

Melody nodded. "You can count on us, Skytalon."

"Good," Yelena patted Melody on the back before waking off. Melody sighed and found Annie before Maxine could torture her any longer.

"Come on, let’s get back to Tink's and sleep."

"Thank you, I don’t want to be near that woman, again!" Annie said watching Maxine wave at her.

"Get used to seeing her in the future Annie, Maxine will be the one to send us the jobs."

Annie gulped. "Melody, I’m not so sure about this idea of yours."

"Look, things will get better after this, got it? We'll get the money and we'll get shelter and everything will be fine." Melody chuckled walking off. Annie gulped getting that horrible feeling in her gut again like back at Epona Canyon. Something just doesn't seem right.

Author's Note:

Meh, here's chapter 7.

I'm not that happy with the writing of this chapter. I knew I could've done better, but meh what can you do?

Did you expect that Melody would want to be a mercenary? What did you think about Ace's story? It was planned for the story to be told at the end but I just let my fingers type and it helped move the chapter. Also what do you think about Melody's character? Did you expect her to talk bad about Annie to get what she wanted?

If you find any mistakes I missed, please let me know. Thanks. :twilightsmile: