• Published 5th Jan 2014
  • 1,668 Views, 216 Comments

Tales of Apple Scratch: Just Another Wild West Story - TigerSwirl448



An Apple Scratch Sisters side-story. Melody Liker (Vinyl's ancestor) and her sister Annabelle "Annie" Apple (AJ's ancestor) left their home of Manehattan to live their dreams in the boom town of Frontier City.

  • ...
10
 216
 1,668

Ch. 20: Reunited

Chapter 20
Reunited

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>


When the morning of Melody’s execution came, I woke up first. I got out of the soft warm bed and grabbed the bandages. I placed new bandages over my chest and shoulders and my leg before I pulled on my clothes. My buttoned up shirt, thick pants, socks, boots, and then my belt with my holster. I stopped to notice something new with the pile of clothes. It was a polished silver belt buckle but it was apple shaped. I remembered smiling at that placing the new buckle onto my belt.

After getting dressed I heard everyone else waking up and getting dressed for the upcoming day. I stepped outside to feed the horses and to get myself some solace before the plan went into motion. I turned towards the direction to Frontier City feeling the nerves and the fear of going back into that town. The town is filled with men that were wanting me dead. What happened if everything we had planned for messed up? Will Rose still be fine? What about Diamond? Or Melody?

So many worrying questions swirled into my head as I kept thinking. That is until I felt a hand grab my shoulder. I yelped with shock and turned to see that it was Velvet. She nodded to me and told me that everyone was ready. I guess I was standing there with the horses for a long time if Velvet was ready. I even noticed that she wasn’t dressed in her normal attire of a long skirted dress and shawl. She was actually dressed like me and the boys. I could tell the clothes on her were from Ace since they were a bit large on her. Large shirt, baggy jeans, boots, belt, and a long coat. She even wore a red scarf around her neck to keep warm from the freezing temperatures.

I looked up to notice the others were coming out dressed up in warm clothes for the upcoming big run. I waited as everyone came out. Dash came out last with Butterfly holding his hand following him, sleepily. It was time to relay the plan all over again.

"Alright remember the plan." I barked seeing their eyes on me. I grabbed a set of reins, it was Remington the mule. I lead Remington to Tinker as she yawned loudly covering her mouth. I guess Dash and Ace were able to get clothes for Tinker, Butterfly, and Velvet to wear since Tinker was equally dressed like Velvet in a shirt, jeans, boots, belt, and a scarf to keep her neck warm and a large coat.

"Tinker,” I said getting her attention. “You take Butterfly, she'll be safer with you. I want you to gather all your kegs of gunpowder in that barn and try to sneak your way to Sisal and get those kegs across the river. Meet us at the cliff." Tinker saluted to me as I handed her the reins to her mule. Butterfly standing by her mimicked Tinker's motion.

“Aye-aye!” Tinker said grinning.

"Right-o Annie!" Butterfly said smiling.

As I walked over for one of the horses, I noticed Dash walking over to Butterfly with a thick scarf in his hands. He wrapped the scarf around Butterfly’s neck then hugged her tight.

"Stay with Tinker at all times understand?" He whispered, Butterfly nodded. Dash pulled back smiling turning to Tinker. Tinker winked with a thumbs up to show she'll do the job. Tinker leaped up onto Remington.

"Just keep your head down." Dash said to Butterfly as she nodded. He lifted Butterfly up into the air and set her on Remington’s back behind Tinker. Butterfly wrapped her arms around Tinker’s middle as Tinker made a salute to us before she kicked Remington into a gallop out of the forest. Dash bit his lip with worry watching the two girls head into town.

I grabbed another set of reins belonging to Fair Breeze and another set of reins belonging to a black mare. I turned to Velvet and handed her the reins to the black mare. "Velvet, you'll come with us. I want you to hold on to Fair Breeze and this second horse here.” I said grabbing another set of reins, this white horse was for Diamond to ride. Velvet nodded taking the third set of reins with a nod as I patted the black mare on her side.

“Once we get Rose you lead her to the cliff." I said turning back to the remaining horses. Velvet swallowed with worry. Ace patted her on her shoulder.

"Everything will be fine." He said seeing her let out a sigh.

"I sure hope so." She whispered. Ace smiled kissing her on the cheek.

“Come on, get on,” Ace said patting the black mare’s saddle. Velvet nodded as she was helped up the black mare by Ace. Velvet steadied herself on the black mare then nodded to him seeing his smile.

I grabbed the reins to the second black horse handing the reins to a nervous Dash and the brown mare to Ace. "Once we get Rose out of town, I’ll go after Diamond.” I said taking the Twilight’s reins last. “You two meet me at the Sweetie Belle Tavern. It’s the closest to the gallows. And we’ll be helping the girls in the tavern.” The two men nodded.

"Let's go, we have until noon to get everything done before Melody’s execution." Ace said urgently. Dash nodded shaking off his nervousness.

“Yeah let’s go get out friends back!” Dash said with a smirk as he leaped up on his horse taking Fair Breeze’s reins from Velvet with a wink. Velvet nodded to him for thanks. Ace leaped up on his horse looking to me. I nodded checking Twilight’s saddle before mounting to see everything we packed the night before. A bedroll, a canteen of water, rope, and a holster for the henry rifle sitting by the back of the saddle, something Tinker whipped up on the fly. After the check I leaped up onto Twilights’ back and turned to my friends and gave them the nod.

“Let’s go, we have to move fast to beat the clock!” With that I lead them away from the cabin of safety to the danger ahead. We only had two hours of time left and we had to ride four miles to get there. I hoped and prayed we were going to make it in time.

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>

Melody stared at the cooling food of her breakfast, not at all hungry for what will happen soon. She looked up to see the light from the sun on the floor, it was still yellow. That meant Celestia's sun was still rising, it was mid-morning. Only a couple of hours left before her walk to the gallows.

Melody had faced death so many times as a girl, running from cops, being chased by big bullies, beaten by her uncle, even being thrown off a train. That last thought though made her chuckle. She couldn’t believe she was thrown off a speeding train and that was probably the strangest thing she was almost killed from. But then she frowned thinking about the other things. Melody's not ready to die, she still had a full life ahead of her. Then another thought came to her ... a family?

Did Melody really want to live to have kids? She never knew why she suddenly thought of that. Of course her being a woman might have brought the idea to mind. When she dies she will never have any children to continue her legacy. She wouldn’t hold a child in her arms, she won’t play with him or her, tell them how much she loved them.

Melody shook her head hard at such thoughts. "Why now?" She asked herself feeling horribly sad all of a sudden. "Why am I thinking about this at the moment of my death?" As Melody asked herself that question she knew the answer. "Maybe I wanted kids before." She gulped bowing her head in shame. "I'm a complete fool thinking of such things." She laid down on the floor staring at the bars waiting for the ultimate time to walk out.

She's done praying and begging for life or help. There was no one coming to get her.

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>

Rose sat in the chair staring out the window towards the center of town, seeing the gallows with the hanging noose, waiting for Melody Liker to step upon it.

Rose couldn't stop thinking about that horrible thought. Melody was going to die and she can't do anything to stop it. She’s stuck in this room with five guards watching her or waiting for her to make a move. Reginald ordered them that if Rose makes a move out of her chair, to give it to her.

Rose covered her face with her hands and started to silently cry. But she knew one thing to do, she'll be with Melody, even after she breathed her last breath. She smiled at the horrible plan forming in her head.

“Don’t worry Melody," She whispered. "You won't die alone."

“Really?” One of the thugs asked causing her to stiffen. She turned to see him smiling at her. He grabbed her arm forcing her out of her chair. “I think it’s about time I teach you a little lesson.”

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>

Annie leaped off of Twilight looking around. She pulled out her Walker and ran to the alleys to look out to see if anyone was around. Ace and Dash dismounted their horses leaving them with Velvet to tend to. Velvet dismounted her horse to hug Ace feeling his arm wrap tight around her.

Annie nodded to her group as she pulled up her bandanna over her face. She turned to Velvet to see her nod. Dash pulled up his dark bandanna as Ace kissed Velvet one more time before donning his.

"Ready?" Annie asked.

"Ready," the men answered. Annie opened the back door and stepped into the room. Tip toeing in the room holding up their weapons they noticed the back room and kitchen were empty. Everyone in the hotel staff must be with everyone else, crowding around the gallows for the execution. Annie snuck to the door and peeked into the room to see a thug yawning with his back to Annie looking out one of the windows. Annie handed her revolver to Dash as she pulled out her bowie knife from her boot. She held the knife handle tightly in her hand as she walked up to the man. The thug didn’t notice her until it was too late.

Annie grabbed his mouth then slit his throat before he could yell out an alarm. The man struggled as Annie pulled him into the back room then let him drop into the wood pile next to the wood fed stove. Annie panted from the rush. She turned to the boys to see them nod to her. Dash looked pale watching the man die. Ace looked determined to get this job done fast. Annie stuck the knife back into the sheath inside her boot, taking her revolver from Ace.

"Let's go." Annie whispered taking the lead out of the kitchen. Annie led the two men up the stairs silently until they reached the high landing. Annie peeked through the rail to see no man guarding the outside of the hall. Annie waved her hand for Ace and Dash to follow her up to the landing then tip toe to the double doors to the suite.

Ace and Dash nodded to let Annie know they were ready. Annie gulped as she knocked on the door with the back of her fist. Dash and Ace stood on one side while Annie stood on the other.

"Who is it?" A gruff voice said. Annie cleared her throat.

"Hey, the boss wants me to send a message to ya." Annie said in a lowered voice, close to a Manehattanite accent. Dash doubled over trying to keep from laughing at the horrible accent. Ace glared at him slapping him upside the head to shut him up.

"What's the message?" The voice asked.

"It's a paper message sorry." Annie said as she winked at the boys seeing them get ready. Dash and Ace reached into their pockets to pull out pieces of blankets from Ace’s cabin and wrapped them around the barrels of their revolvers as silencers. The door unlocked and a thug stepped out.

"What?" He asked then stiffened seeing Annie smirking. There was a click behind him, he gulped and turned seeing Dash with his revolver wrapped in a cloth around the barrel.

"Hello," Dash said smirking. The thug gulped again as Dash pulled the trigger killing the man instantly. Annie and the boys barged into the room seeing the thugs look at them in surprise.

Dash fired another shot killing a second man. Ace shot at a third and in quick succession Ace pulled out his knife form his belt, tossing it in the air and catching it by the blade. He turned seeing the fourth thug reach for his revolver. Ace threw the knife at the fourth thug making a solid hit in the thug’s chest. The fourth thug fell to the ground with a roar of pain. Annie sighed seeing the guards all down and out. She watched Ace curiously walk to the fourth guard then shot him in the head to end his suffering.

Annie then heard something. She held up her hand silencing the two men as she listened. Her blood went cold hearing cries in another room. Annie turned to a set of doors where the sounds were coming from. Annie ran to the doors and kicked them open. Annie went into the large bedroom, a single bed where Annie saw a large thug pushing Rose to the bed trying to force himself upon her! Rose was trying desperately to fight him off of her. But even Annie knew this man already had the upper hand.

"Come on sweetheart,” The thug said chuckling grabbing Rose’s writs and forcing them above her head on the bed. “I’m not so bad.” He said chuckling as Rose growls trying to move. “Besides, the boss always hogged you all the time!" He said laughing.

"Hey!" Annie yelled out rushing to the side of the bed holding out her Walker. Rose and the thug turned and gasped.

“Annie?!” Rose cried out in shock while the thug only saw the polished Walker at his face. Annie growled pulling the trigger. Rose screamed at the blast while the thug fell off the side of the bed screaming in pain. When her wrists were free, Rose had her ears covered squeezing her eyes shut from the sound of the gunshot. Annie turned to Rose taking her shoulder. Rose yelped out swatting her hand away until she opened her eyes to see Annie again. Not a ghost, but an actual human and she’s alive!

“Annie? You are alive!” She said smiling happy to see her dear friend again. Annie smiled helping Rose sit up. Annie turned seeing the thug’s arm reach up on the bed pulling himself up panting heavily holding the side of his neck where he was hit. Rose gasped moving away from him as Annie snarled audibly. She walked over to him grabbing his collar pushing him to the bed. The man yelped out weakly until he saw the revolver pushed up his nose.

"I have one question for you tubby! And you’re going to answer it!" Annie whispered angrily. The man was terrified. Rose was shaking badly seeing the dying man. Suddenly she felt hands grab her and pull her out of the room and started screaming trying to get away. Until she was flipped around and instead of another attacker, Rose saw another familiar face.

"Ace?" Rose asked seeing his wink. "You're alright!" Rose gasped hugging him. Dash walked over with a pouting frown.

"Hey what about me?" Dash asked. Rose smiled running over to him to hug the younger man feeling his arms around her. “Happy to see us huh?” He said chuckling. Rose pulled away shaking her head, smiling.

"What are you doing here?" Rose asked seeing Ace looking to the room where Annie was, he shut the doors with a worried frown on his face.

"No time, we have to get moving." Dah said taking Rose by her arm and lead her out of the room.

"But Melody-"

"We'll get her,” Ace interrupted following them out of the suite. “We need to get out first." Ace said urgently as he followed the two down the stairs to the ground floor and out the back door. When Rose stepped out she gasped seeing Velvet tending the horses.

"Velvet!" Rose called out running over to hug Velvet. Rose felt Velvet’s arms wrap tightly around her. Rose was crying, so happy to see her friends again. Ace let out a sigh of relief for getting rose out without incident. He sighed turning back to the hotel’s back door, waiting for Annie to come back out.

"Where's Annie?" Velvet asked worriedly. Ace pointed with his thumb over his shoulder to the hotel.

“Getting her information. Hopefully we get information about Diamond and get out of here.” Dash turned hearing the door crash open and Annie came out.

"I got what I need." Annie said coldly. Annie turned to Rose and smiled. "Are you alright honey?" Annie asked worriedly. Roe smiled hugging Annie. Annie hugged her back.

"I'm alright now." Rose whispered turning to her friends seeing them smiling at her. "But what about Melody? They’re going to hang her-" Rose said before seeing Annie nod her head, leaving her with Velvet.

"We know that." Dash interrupted. "Right now you have to go with Velvet and get out of here."

Rose was confused watching Annie leap onto Twilight.

"Wait, what about Melody! She needs help!" Rose cried feeling ace wrap his arm around her.

"We'll get her." Ace said gently seeing Rose’s desperation through her eyes. "I promise you, we’ll get Melody back to you."

Rose sighed then looked up at Annie. "Where are you going?"

Annie tipped her hat. "Velvet you get Rose to the canyon. Ace, Dash meet me at the Sweeten Belle tavern with Diamond's horse."

Ace grabbed the reins of a white gelding as Velvet helped Rose onto her horse.

"But what about you? Where will you go?" Rose asked again as Velvet leaped up on the horse with Rose behind her. Annie turned to her with a grim frown.

"I'm going after Diamond." Annie said. She turned to the group. "I’ll see you all soon." With a sharp yell Annie kicked into Twilight’s sides and the two flew off. Velvet turned to Ace to see him look up at her.

"Be careful." Velvet whispered. Ace smiled taking her hand and kissing it.

"I’ll be back in you loving arms soon, my lovely book worm." Velvet blushed harshly at the nickname as she turned to Dash. "I'll take care of Butterfly until your return. Be careful both of you."

Dash saluted. "Thank you and you be careful. Go around on the other side behind the shops."

Velvet nodded as she turned her horse and kicked him into a trot to get moving. Dash and Ace leapt up on their horses and headed for the tavern for phase two of their plan.

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>

Annie reached the area where she wanted to be, behind a public stables. Annie dismounted Twilight and tied her reins to a fence post and stroked her face.

"Stay here girl." She whispered as she pulled out the Henry rifle from the rifle holster checking to make sure it was fully loaded and everything. She took in a deep breath then peeked out of her hiding spot to see the white church. Ace and Dash searched here already but they never knew that there was a basement, only Annie knew that.

Annie could feel her heart pumping hard in her chest as she noticed Constance and several girls hanging laundry out to dry on the clothes lines. Annie gulped knowing Constance will probably never forgive her for what she might do to her husband. Annie sighed pushing down the lever hearing the click then pulled it back up hearing the clank of the bullet push into the chamber.

Annie moved forward in determined strides with the rifle in her hands. She looked down the road to see peel too busy looking at the gallows to notice her. Annie reached into her pocket to pull out a thick cotton cloth and wrapped it over the barrel of the rifle for a silencer just as Ace taught her.

As she got closer Annie noticed several of the women stop at want they were doing to notice Annie walking towards them. Some gasp with shock seeing her alive while others were noticing the rifle in Annie's hands. Constance turned to see Annie, but made no move to stop her or to question her.

Annie walked straight toward her, the girls started to get scared and started speaking. Constance held up her hand silencing them and stopped them form running. The girls around her looked to her confused and frightened when Annie stopped before them. Before Annie could say a word Constance beat her to it.

"I know why you're here." Constance said calmly as Annie blinked in surprise. Constance turned to the church doors. "Go around the back." Constance said continuing her calm demeanor. "Take your whore woman and get out of here." She said with a snarl. Annie nodded getting the answer she needed as she marched past the frightened women. Constance sighed as she reached down grabbing another blanket and held it up to the clothesline as if nothing had occurred.

Annie walked behind the church and sure enough she found doors leading to the basement. Annie sighed deeply feeling her heart continuing to pump hard into her chest. She reached down and grip the wooden handle and pulled the door open carefully and quietly. She opened the second door and snuck into the basement stairs and shut the doors behind her. She gulped as she snuck down the basement stairs hearing the sounds of soft crying and a sound of moaning.

Annie pressed her back against the wall looking over listening intently. She can hear one person, a woman crying. Her heart spiked with fast beating knowing the woman was Diamond. Annie then heard a man and knew by the voice it was James Temple. She waited a bit longer to hear for more people, but she heard no one else.

Annie licked her lip looking back at the door above her. Constance must have known about this if she coldly told Annie where Diamond was. Constance wasn't happy and Annie knew why. Perhaps what Dash though might not be so far-fetched after all and thinking about that made Annie see red.

"Please, stop I don’t' want to do this anymore!" Annie snarled audibly hearing Diamond's begging. Annie stepped out and held out her rifle and was shocked to see what she saw. Diamond was on her knees on some blankets. Holding her by her hair was the minister himself and Diamond was crying, and by a glance Annie could tell Diamond was beaten and looked terrible. James Temple though looked cleaner and by the way he was standing there was no need for guessing what he was forcing Diamond to do with him. Annie growled pulling back the hammer revealing her presence by the sound.

Diamond turned hearing the noise with a sniff and gasped in shock seeing Annie standing in the light and shadow of the candle light.

"Annie!" Diamond cried. "You’re alive!"

James gasped releasing Diamond turning toward Annie. Diamond quickly scooted tot eh corner away form the man.

"How?!” James asked in true horror either form being caught with Diamond or seeing Annie alive. “You’re supposed to be dead!" He cried out alarmed fixing his pants quickly.

Annie glared coldly at him holding up the rifle stock to her face looking down the sights. Temple grabbed his holy book holding it out.

"I command thee evil one to leave! Now!" He cried out in panic, his eyes were wide and feverish, he’s going mad. He turned seeing Diamond close to him. He grabbed by the back of her head causing her to scream out pulling her towards him. Annie snarled watching James released his hold on Diamond’s hair and then grabbed her blouse for a better grip. He held Diamond close to him and holding the holy book out as if it were a weapon.

"I will kill her! You know I will evil spirit of Discord! You will both suffer the wrath of the gods!" James raved grinning.

Annie kept silent waiting for the right moment, Diamond was too close to him, and she can't risk hurting her with her shooting. Even though she might be the best sharpshooter in town, she won’t risk aiming and missing the target completely. Diamond noticed why Annie was waiting. Diamond looked down at his hand on her blouse then up at his face with an idea. Diamond swung her hand out catching her nails into James’s eye causing him to scream out dropping his book and his hold on Diamond to hold his eye. Diamond pulled away and moved to the corner. Annie took the shot.

James fell back into the wall with a bullet in his stomach. He looked up in shocked and fear seeing his blood. He looked up seeing Annie lower the rifle glaring at him.

"No!” He screamed. “I’m the holiest of men from the horse gods!" Annie snarled. She had enough of his bull shit! She tossed the rifle to the blankets by Diamond’s feet. Annie reached into her holster to pull out her Walker, she pulled back the hammer pointing the revolver at the crazed man. But James Temple had one last trick up his sleeve.

"I curse you Annabelle Apple!" He screamed, his voice cracking form the strain. Annie suddenly stopped looking down at him. James smirked chucking madly. "I curse you to live alone for the rest of your life, you will never have children and those that are descended to you will suffer as you will suffer, alone." Annie was fearful hearing such a threat from him. But that fear was put aside by the images in her head of what this man did to her lover. Annie pulled the trigger watching the crazed man fall limp to the side, dead.

Annie panted hard from the adrenaline still flowing in her veins with her ponding heartbeat. She couldn’t believe it, she killed a man of the church! She gulped hard feeling the nausea coming up. But that stopped then she heard sniffling. She turned seeing Diamond in the corner crying looking at her. Annie dropped the revolver hearing it clank on the ground. Diamond got up running into her embrace feeling her lover’s arms wrap tight around her. Anne kissed Diamond from her face to her neck hearing her lover’s cries.

"You're alive!" Diamond whispered gripping tightly to Annie’s jacket. "You’re alive!"

Annie felt tears as well so happy to see Diamond again. "I'm here now. No one will hurt you or abuse you again. As long as I live I will protect you." Diamond sniffled not wanting to let Annie go.

Annie pulled back stroking her face. "We have to go, we don’t have much time." she whispered urgently.

"Why?" Diamond sniffled, "What’s going on?"

"We’re leaving Frontier City." Annie said looking down to see her revolver on the floor. She bent down to grab it and stuck it in her holster. She walked over to retrieve the henry rifle.

"But what about Rose! She's in danger!" Diamond cried. Annie pushed the lever down to see the brass fly out of the rifle, smelling the gunpowder smoke.

"Don't worry, we already got her. We have to hurry." Annie urged as she pulled back up the lever hearing another bullet set up in the chamber. Diamond grabbed her stained shawl putting it on her shoulders.

"Where are we going?" Diamond asked.

Annie stepped up the stairs with Diamond behind her. She held out her hand for Diamond to grab on and help her up the steps. "We're going to the tavern."

"Why?" Diamond asked fearfully. "Nothing is there anymore. Berry … she was shot and my girls!" Diamond cried covering her mouth shaking her head trying to keep from crying again.

Annie turned back to her. "Don’t worry, the girls will leave for their own paths. And Berry will be avenged."

Diamond sniffed as Annie smiled at her. "Come on, you'll get a horse and you'll get to the canyon."

"The canyon?" Diamond asked as Annie pushed opened the doors. "Why?"

"Like I said, we're leaving Frontier City and the canyon is the only way out. Come on." Annie got Diamond topside when they were stopped by Constance waiting for them. The two lovers stopped with shock seeing the woman. Constance avoided eye contact to Diamond as she glared at Annie.

"Is it done?" She asked vaguely.

Annie nodded bowing her head in shame. Shame for telling Constance that her husband is dead. "It is."

Constance began to smile as she bowed her head staying silent.

"Constance," Annie whispered walking up to her placing her hand on her shoulder. "I'm sorry." She whispered. Constance remained silent as she was shaking her head. Annie blinked with a thought. "Get out of here while you still can." Constance and Diamond looked up at her with confusion.

"Where should I go?" Constance asked confused and tired at once. Annie swallowed then looked to the canyon.

"Equestria,” Annie answered. “Go back home, your real home. Continue teaching, it's what your good at."

Constance stood there for a long moment then she started chuckling, shaking her head. "Just go Annabelle Apple. Just leave and hope I never see your face again."

Annie frowned feeling sad hearing such an order from this woman. She nodded taking Diamond's hand and led her back to Twilight leaving Constance to stand alone by the basement doors. Diamond turned to watch Constance close the doors. After that Constance turned, walking away from the church building.

"What's going to happen to her?" Diamond asked worriedly.

Annie shrugged. "I just hope she'll take the advice and leave and make a better life." Diamond remained silent sending a silent prayer for Constance and her future.

Annie led Twilight and Diamond to the back of the Sweetie Belle tavern to see Ace and Dash. Diamond gasped seeing the men turn to them.

"Blessed Titania!" Diamond whispered in relief as she ran over to hug Dash first. "I'm so happy to see you both unharmed!" She cried hugging Ace after Dash.

"Damn what happened to you?" Dash asked in shock.

"Not right now." Annie said quickly as she grabbed eth white gelding and led him over to the others. She stopped before Diamond and held the reins for her. Diamond took the reins looking at her. "You know the way to the canyon?" Diamond blinked with worry and nodded.

"Good go to the canyon,” Annie ordered softly cupping Diamond’s cheek. “Velvet, Tink, Butterfly, and Rose are there waiting for you." Diamond noticed Annie staring to move to leave her. She grabbed Annie’s hand to keep her from leaving her again.

"What are you going to do?" Diamond asked frightened. Annie patted her hand smiling up at her.

"I'm going to get my sister out of this mess." Annie said with a smile. "I’ll get her and meet you at the canyon."

Diamond bit her lip tears threatening to cascade down her face again. She just got Annie back, she didn’t want to lose her again! She wrapped her arms around Annie’s neck and pulled her into a kiss on her lips. Annie wrapped her arms around Diamond’s waist kissing her back. Ace and Dash turned away giving them their privacy.

Diamond pulled away crying. "Please don't."

Annie stroked her face. "I'll be fine." Annie looked to the tavern then back at Diamond. "Do you want me to grab anything?"

"No," Diamond said horrified. "No, I don't want anything from that place." She whispered shaking her head. "This place isn’t my home anymore. Those men ruined it the moment Berry was killed. Who knows what else they have done in there?"

Annie nodded hugging her again rubbing her back. "I'll take care of everything." After a moment Annie sighed pulling away. "Now can you go to the canyon?” Diamond nodded what sniff. Annie smiled gently at her. “Don’t turn back or slow down. Go to Sisal, he'll be waiting for you to take you across the river."

Diamond nodded giving Annie one last kiss before finally pulling away. Annie helped her up on the horse. Annie patted her knee. "Go," Annie whispered then slapped the horse on the flank making him run off. Diamond looked back to see Ace and Dash stand by Annie as she rode off to the river. Once Diamond was gone Ace turned to Annie and Dash.

"Hurry," Ace said with worry. "It's close to noon."

Annie nodded walking to the back door of the tavern reaching for the handle. "Let's make sure this time we’ll be remembered boys.” The two nodded as Annie glared at the door. “These guys will remember to never mess with an Apple or his kin." She growled opening the door with the boys running in behind her.

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>

Melody heard the clanks of a baton on the bars waking her up from her nap. She gasped siting up and turned to see Reginald with a wooden baton hitting the bars.

"It's time to meet your maker, Liker."

Melody gulped looking over to see Skytalon and Maxine walk over grinning. Melody sighed, there was nothing she can do now. She stood up.

"I'm ready." She said with defeat.

"Good," Reginald chuckled turning to Skytalon. The sheriff unlocked the cell and walked over with handcuffs. Melody held out her hands feeling the cold, heavy metal cuffs on her writs. Melody gulped as she stared at her wrists as Skytalon was chuckling like a child excited for a treat.

Melody felt her arms begin grabbed as she walked forward out of her cell with the most expressionless face as she could muster. She walked past the thugs and hired guns as she was marched out of the building. As Melody stepped out into the cold mid-day air she could see the gallows surrounded by townsfolk and prospectors, all dressed in black or dark clothes. Almost the exact same thing she saw in Fort Smith.

Melody’s heart began to pound harder the closer she got to the wooden steps and the gallows. Her chin quivered as the tears threaten to cascade down her face. She didn't want to die, not like this! Melody always wanted to die in a ripe old age in a bed with her lover and her friends surrounding her.

Skytalon pushed her to the steps allowing her to go up by herself or she could make a mad dash to freedom. Melody knew she couldn't run and escape with this crowd surrounding the area. She gulped and feebly went up the steps. Melody could hear Skytalon taking the steps behind her. Melody neared the top to the platform seeing a young follower of the gods holding the Holy Scripture in his hand.

Melody felt Skytalon’s hands on her shoulders as she was pushed up the last three steps then pushed to the trap door. Melody looked down to see where she will fall and now she's terrified. She looked around her to see everyone that was there to see her demise. She gulped feeling Skytalon wrap a line of rope around her knees and another line around her ankles to keep her legs together. Melody remembered hearing them testing the trap door and the rope for her noose earlier that morning. The sounds of the trap door and the snap of the rope haunted her and now it's going to happen.

The follower opened the book and began to read her death warrant. Melody closed her eyes waiting for this hell to end already.

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>

Ace used his knife to kill the last thug in the tavern to the glee of three girls hugging him. He blushed at that gesture.

"Sorry ladies, I'm taken." He said hearing the disappointed sighs of the three girls. Dash shooed off them out the back door as Ace wiped his knife off the dead man’s coat before slamming it back into the sheath. Dash turned to Annie to see her looking for something in the cubbies in the bar counter.

"That’s all of them, now what?" Dash asked as Ace fixed his hat.

Annie gasped finding a small journal in one of the cubbies and opened it and sure enough she found Diamond’s recipe book. She sighed and stuck the journal into her jacket pocket. She turned to the men.

"Now we prepare for a blowout." Annie said looking at the fire under a bubbling cauldron of old gumbo. “Give me one of your gunpowder horns."

"Why?" Dash asked as he unbuckled his off his belt. Annie took the small flask shaped gunpowder horn and pulled out the cork. She made a small steady stream of gunpowder to the far end of the counter. Once she was done she quickly rigged a strange contraption.

"Where did you get that idea from?" Ace asked surprised.

"Tinker," Annie answered as she set a burning kerosene lantern carefully at the edge. "When this lantern is knocked over it'll splash kerosene all over the floor, with the flame on the wick it'll light up the oil causing a blaze along with the gunpowder. The gunpowder will light up and the ignited gunpowder will move along the line to where the broken whiskey bottles are. Then we'll have a fire. This will distract most of the citizens while we make a dash for the canyon. Hopefully they'll be busy enough for us to have a breather before we get out of here."

Ace and Dash nodded at the plan. "Good idea, but how do we knock over the lantern?" Ace asked curiously.

Annie smirked as she set up a book making it stand up right behind the lantern. "I'll just shoot at this book and it will knock it over." Annie said smiling.

"Uh oh," Dash said.

"What?" Ace asked turning. Dash was looking out the window.

"They got Melody out on the gallows!" He said with fear.

"Then let's go." Annie said running to the back, Dash and Ace right behind her. Once outside Annie noticed that the working girls were long gone and the three grabbed their horses and headed around the other side of the tavern to the street.

"Remember act casual, act like you’re not here to cause trouble." Annie said as she and the others walked out on their horses to the back of the crowd hearing the follower speak the death warrant for Melody. Everyone was too focused on Melody on the gallows to notice them.

"Now what" Dash asked in a whisper.

Annie tapped the stock of the rifle next to her knee. "Wait for the right moment."

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>

Melody had her eyes shut throughout the whole death warrant by the follower. She didn't want to see all those faces looking at her as he spoke.

Finally when it was over Melody gulped.

"Do you have any last words to speak before the people of the living?" The follower asked. Melody kept silent not saying a word. She stiffened feeling Skytalon by her side, leaning in towards her ear.

"Are you for certain?" Skytalon whispered into her ear. “This is your last chance to live Liker. Just tell us where the money is.”

Melody shook her head. She’s ready and wants this over with before people can see her cry. Skytalon growled.

“It was nice knowing you Liker. Hope you rot in the flames of Tartarus.” Melody turned away. Skytalon stepped back waving for someone behind Melody to approach. One of the thugs walked over placing a dark hood over her head, all Melody can see now was darkness as she sniffled. She felt the scratchy rope paced around her neck and felt them tighten it.

"May the horse gods, grant mercy on your tainted soul." The follower called out. Melody heard the footsteps walk to the lever beside her. Melody now started to cry, she didn’t want to die not yet! But even she knew she can’t beat fate. Only one person waits for her now.

"I'm coming Annie." She whispered sadly. "I'm coming."

Suddenly Melody heard a cry of alarm before the fateful sound of the lever being pulled. Melody gasped feeling the drop and hearing the gunshot. She felt something vibrate on her noose. Just when she knew the final moment came she felt her rope snap taunt for just a moment before she heard the snap of a rope breaking. Melody gasped falling, but nothing held her up. She hit hard on the ground falling to her side groaning for the impact on her feet.

"Shoot them!" Skytalon's voice roared over the screaming crowd just as a second gunshot was heard. Melody heard screaming of fear and the screams of "Fire!" Melody groaned trying to move but she was hurting from the fall.

"Get Liker!” A voice screamed out of which she recognized as Reginald. "Kill her!" Melody rolled to her back but couldn’t see through her hood. She heard a struggle of two women by her and then another gunshot closer to her causing Melody to go still with fear. Melody felt hands grab her causing her to cry out trying to fight back.

"Let me go!" Melody screamed out fearfully until she felt the hood being lifted up. Melody opened her eyes and gasped looking up at what she thought was an angel from heaven.

"No," She whispered in shock and disbelief. "Annie?"

Annabelle Apple smiled seeing Melody's shocked face.

"How, you’re dead!" Melody gasped as she was hoisted up to her feet. Annie pulled out from her pocket a key. Melody blinked then turned to see a dead guard, it was Maxine laying on the ground with a bullet hole in the forehead. Melody felt the handcuffs come off her wrists.

"Questions later," Annie said quickly as she used her knife to cut Melody's leg bindings off while Melody was rubbing her chafed wrists. “I’m getting you out of here." Annie said standing back up.

Melody smiled and shook her head. "You don’t know what a joy it is to see you again Annie ... please forgive me."

Annie smiled placing her hand on Melody’s shoulder. "Talk later, come on." Annie placed her fingers to her lips and blew a sharp whistle. "Follow me!" Annie ordered grabbing Melody’s arm and the two ran out from under the gallows to the road. Two horses ran over neighing. Ace pulled back the reins of his horse and saluted.

"Ace?" Melody called out smiling.

"Nice to see you again, little sister!" He called over the crowd. Melody then noticed the horse he was leading.

"Fair Breeze!" Melody cried out running to her horse hugging her. The horse snorted sniffing Melody all over her causing the woman to giggle hugging her tighter. "Oh how I missed you!"

"No time run for it!" Dash screamed out holding out a flaming Molotov he created on the fly from the tavern and threw it at the gallows causing more people to scream and run away in fear.

Melody leaped up on her horse as Annie leaped onto Twilight.

"Come on!" Annie called out leading the group in a mad dash for the river leaving the thugs to fight the fires.

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>

When Velvet reached the rendezvous point by the canyon she was surprised to find Tinker and Butterfly there too, setting up a tent on the wagon that was used to transport the kegs of gunpowder. Tinker and Butterfly were excited to see Rose jump off Velvet’s horse to greet them with hugs and crying. Velvet took the horse and tethered him to the wagon for now as Rose turned to see the town before from their perch on the cliff. The girls could see the gallows from their position. Velvet even pulled out Ace's henry rifle for protection just to be on the safe side.

Suddenly they heard hoof beats and Velvet pointed the rifle down the hill and gasped recognizing the purple haired rider riding towards them.

"Diamond!" Velvet called out waving her hand in the air. Diamond lead her horse up the hill where she was met with hugs by the others. Diamond was especially happy to see Rose and held her tight kissing her on the head. Velvet smiled turning back to town waiting.

As time went by they noticed he smoke coming from the town.

"Must be Annie." Tinker said getting startled looks from Rose and Diamond. "It was her idea to make a distraction for them to run." Tinker said quickly to calm their fears. They went silent dreading the worst and hoping for the best.

As the sun was starting to sink to the west there were sounds of moving brush. Velvet held up the rifle as everyone watched with fear until Dash pushed through the brush with his horse behind him.

"Robby!" Butterfly exclaimed running towards Dash. Dash laughed lifting her up in the air kissing her cheek. He hugged her tight feeling Butterfly's arms and legs around him happy to see her guardian back and alive.

Ace took Dash's horse and lead them over as Velvet ran to hug him tight. Velvet gasped seeing a mark on his cheek.

"You’re hurt!"

"I'm fine just a scratch." Ace said smiling before kissing her to shut out her worries. Velvet kissed him back holding him tightly.

Annie leaped off of Twilight leading her over. Diamond stood up with an anxious Rose. Annie noticed their looks of worry. She turned to look behind her smiling as Melody stepped out from the brush with Fair Breeze trailing behind her.

"Good girl Fair Breeze," Melody whispered soothingly.

"Melody!" Melody jumped and turned hearing the familiar cry and gasped seeing Rose running to her. Melody felt Rose grab on to her crying. Melody hugged her back kissing her on eh cheek.

"I'm so sorry." Melody whispered actually hearing herself crying with Rose. "I'm so sorry." Rose didn’t care as she held Melody even tighter, happy to see her alive.

Annie smiled turning to Diamond to see her smiling up at her. Annie reached into her pocket and held out the small journal to Diamond's surprise. Diamond took the small book into her hands and opened it to find all of her recipes still inside the book and intact.

"I remembered you telling me about your recipes.” Annie said causing Diamond to look back up at her. Annie shrugged with a blush. “I don’t think this should be forgotten." Diamond stared at the book in her hands for a long while. She sighed closing the book and let it fall to the ground. Annie was confused for a short moment.

“Recipes? I can make new ones, they can be replaced.” Diamond whispered looking up at her with tears. Diamond grabbed Annie’s face. “But you my dear, are irreplaceable.” She whispered seeing Annie’s smile. Diamond pulled Annie’s face to hers and kissed her. Annie kissed her back wrapping her arms around her waist. Diamond’s hands went from her face to around her neck holding her. Not wanting to lose her cowgirl again.

Everyone was reunited at last.

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>

That night Annie sat guard outside the makeshift tent wagon. She heard movement behind her. The person walked over and sat down next to Annie on the rock looking out to the city seeing a few glittering lights of lanterns and windows.

"Annie," Melody whispered. "I'm terribly sorry for everything I've done." She whispered. “Being tied up and begin in jail made me think about my past sins and things. Yes I was selfish to drag you along in my mistake." Annie turned to her to see Melody beginning to cry, to Annie she never seen Melody being this open with her emotions before. "Watching you protect me all those times and then watching you fall like that .... I thought I lost you Annie!" She cried shaking her head. "I lost the only true person I cared about, the only person I consider my true family."

Annie leaned over warping her arm around Melody and pulled her close as Melody cried into her chest.

"I know I don’t deserve it but I beg for it now more than ever. Please can you forgive me for what had happened?"

Annie smiled a touch kissing Melody on the head hugging her tight. "You’re' my sister Melody, sisters do things all the time and in the end we forgive each other and move on."

Melody looked up at her to see Annie's smile. "I know things were tough and believe me, for a little while I was mad at you. By blood or not, you're my sister, an Apple."

Melody sniffed wiping her nose. "An Apple huh?” She shook her head. “I thought your father wouldn't dare give me that name."

Annie chuckled. "He's not here. We are. And no body messes with an Apple and gets away with it." Melody smiled wiping her nose with her dirty sleeve.

"Wow, you’re calling me a genuine Apple?"

Annie nodded. "Eeyep I do." Melody smiled and nodded resting her head against Annie’s shoulder as the two sat under the stars. Sitting like hey always did back when they were kids.

"Melody," Annie whispered.

"Yeah?" Melody asked looking at her. Annie reached into her pocket then tossed an object into Melody’s lap. Melody gasped picking up the silver watch. She turned to Annie to see her smirk. "I thought this was gone forever!" Annie chuckled seeing Melody’s shock.

"Butterfly found it in my pocket. I actually forgot it was there." Annie said chuckling. After a long moment the two sisters were silent staring at the silver watch. Melody placed the watch up to her ear and smiled.

"It still works." Annie nodded.

"That's good."

Melody nodded looking at the design and sighed placing he watch into her pocket.

"Now what?" Melody asked curiously. "We can't go anywhere now. We're fugitives now."

"Not so fast." Annie whispered with a grin. "I got an idea in my head and it will keep them from following our tracks."

Melody looked up at her. "Really? How?"

Annie chuckled as she wrapped her arm around Melody in a side hug. "We're going to make the place go Ka-boom."

"What?" Melody asked curiously.

"You'll get it soon." Annie whispered as she sighed standing up. "I'm heading for bed. Do you want to come? It'll be nice and warm."

Melody through for a long moment then shook her head.

"No thanks ... I want to sit out here for a bit longer." Annie nodded.

"Sure sis. Whatever you say." Melody nodded watching Annie climb into the warm tent. Melody couldn’t help but smile. She looked up at the stars and sighed.

"Thank you, thank you for giving me a second chance." She whispered. "I'll make it up to you, I promise." She whispered watching a shooting star zip through the sky. She leaned back against the wagon wheel with a relaxed smile on her face.

Author's Note:

Finally right? Here is Chapter 20! And a late night update!

I'm so sorry this took longer than planned. In truth before life took control of my free time I never got to finish editing this chapter. Well I decided to post this late since I got it done and I know I won't be back to writing for maybe a week.

So what do you guys think? Was this as exciting as you hoped it would be? Annie saves the day! Now the next chapter is still being written, it's half way finished. I just hope it fits well with what I got planned. Ahem anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter. Now back to life! :facehoof: And to bed!