• Published 5th Jan 2014
  • 1,672 Views, 216 Comments

Tales of Apple Scratch: Just Another Wild West Story - TigerSwirl448



An Apple Scratch Sisters side-story. Melody Liker (Vinyl's ancestor) and her sister Annabelle "Annie" Apple (AJ's ancestor) left their home of Manehattan to live their dreams in the boom town of Frontier City.

  • ...
10
 216
 1,672

Ch. 23: Letters From The Past

Chapter 23:
Letters From The Past

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>


Letter to Annabelle Apple from Tucker Scratch
Lead guitarist and songwriter of the Manehattan Music Troupe in Manehattan.

Dearest Aunt Annie,

I apologize for not writing as often as I should had been. So many things had happened since I last wrote to you. All I can say is that I did that request you sent me years ago. I'm sorry it took this long to reply back but it took many years just to find the people requested I checked upon. Sad to say by the time you get this letter most of them have passed. I'll make this brief knowing you don't like to sit in one place for too long, right? But I won’t leave out a lot but I know this might be a longer letter than I originally planned.

First off, how about I tell you about my life so far. Being a traveling musician in Equestria was a better life than what I had expected. I enjoy playing music and I even signed on to a small musical troupe of players in Manehattan. After my first year playing with them, I became an honorary member, I was even given the funny nickname “Pick” since I was told my banjo playing was very good. I even met my beautiful wife in the music troupe, she was our lead singer and her voice, so beautiful! I even heard word that she came from far away, Trottingham I believe. Her accent shows it that’s for sure. I also want to say that the Equestria you grew up to know Aunt Annie, isn't here anymore. After the war with the Griffins and Equestria being larger, more people left for the west so a lot of the dirty business men and royals you and Mother knew are probably long gone and Equestria is peaceful and growing.

Now on to that request, I went to find all of the friends you knew and it took me five years to find them all. The first place I visited was Cloudsdale.

Cloudsdale was an experience Aunt Annie. I had to pay a few bits just to take a balloon ride to the city in the clouds and then I had a Titanian perform a cloud walking spell on me so I could walk on the clouds! Can you believe that? I walked on a cloud! It was exciting Aunt Annie, I wished you or Mother could have been there with me, the view was magnificent, until I looked straight down. Let’s just say I almost lost my breakfast on that.

After my excitement I went to the Cloudsdale library to find their archives to search for a “Rocket Dash”. But sadly the only Dash I could find in the city archives was a “Robert Dash II”. I wrote the address and went off to search for him. And boy you wouldn't guess what I found. The address lead me to a very rich part of the city. I found the cloud mansion and entered the lot to see a bunch of young boys and girls playing in the sky, flying around with their small immature wings playing some sort of game in the air.

As I approached the children noticed me and flew away. I followed them until I was shocked to see a family of six pairs of adults and three teenagers, two boys and one girl, they were sitting outside the house having a luncheon. I pulled off my hat seeing the family look at me. I saw one of the men with dark green hair glare at me.

"Who are you and what are you doing here?" He said getting up from his seat. Two other young men followed him.

I cleared my throat. "Please, I'm looking for a Robert Dash?" I asked seeing the adults looking at one another curiously.

"Why?" One of the wives asked.

"I'm here to send him a message from a friend of his. Annabelle Apple?" I answered. The adults looked at one another still confused.

"We don't know of an “Annabelle Apple.”" The first wife said again glaring at me now. "Now leave Titanian or we're calling the guards."

"Not so fast!" An old voice said causing us all to look to the doors. It was an old gentleman about in his fifties walking out from the mansion with a cane. His hair white and gray with age and combed back. I could see his pink eyes look at me waving his old wrinkled hand towards me.

"Did you say you know of an Annabelle Apple?" he asked a touch louder. I walked up closer so he could hear me, he seemed to have trouble hearing.

"Yes sir, Annabelle Apple.” I answered again. “She sent me."

The man smiled. "May I ask for your name son?" He asked politely.

"Tucker sir, Tucker Scratch." I noticed his confused look. "Oh I'm Melody Liker’s son." I said and the look of shock was the best look I got from him or anyone for that matter.

"Melody had a son?" He asked in shock then he smiled. "Well my boy come, come, have a seat!" He said waving me over towards the table. "Prism!" The old man barked causing the second wife to look at him. "Make room for this lad. He's the son of my oldest and dearest friend."

The woman nodded leaving her seat and quickly made a new one out of the cloud under our feet. Which I should add was very interesting and exciting how different Titanian magic is to Jupitarian magic. I walked over and sat down at the offered and recently made chair. It was acutely quite firm to the touch than what I thought. I placed my hat in my lap.

"Then you’re Rocket Dash?" I asked seeing the older man take a seat on a chair one of the men gave him.

"I was Rocket Dash." He said smiling with a wink. "I'm now Robert Dash II, Mayor of Cloudsdale." He said waving his hand around us with a smile. Soon we began to talk. Even the adults were surfside as we talked. By the looks of it, Robert didn't tell his family about his past in the frontier. Which was strange to say the least. I wondered why Mr. Dash didn’t talk about it.

Robert even asked about you and Mother, I told him all that I knew under the circumstances. Then he asked about Mother and who was the lucky man that got into bed with her. I told him what had happened and how I got my name. Robert looked shocked hearing the details and rubbed his face. He apologized for that and hoped he didn't meant anything by it. He explained he was shocked that I was Mother's son since he knew Mother to have a fancy to women instead of men. Though it shocked the women at the table I only smiled at that.

I heard Robert Dash's stories of what happened after he left the farm. He explained that he and his adopted daughter Butterfly traveled to Canterlot to where Robert could enlist for the royal guard. Because of his family’s high standing in Cloudsdale, Robert was able to get Butterfly into a school in Cloudsdale while he trained in Canterlot.

I asked Robert is he saw action as a guard. For his answer Robert patted his right knee, he said that he was shot in the leg by a griffin bullet. Since Equestrians weren't allowed to use firearms like the griffins it was a tricky war to fight. Robert had to use his weather magic for ammunition with lightning, hail, and he even joined a group of Jupitarians to create a tornado to devastate the griffin stronghold in Vanhoover. He looked on with guilt telling the story. He said that many griffins, soldiers and civilians alike, were killed in that display of power.

Since he was shot in the leg, Robert had trouble walking and keeping up with the troops with a bum leg. He was demoted to a mail carrier for the rest of the war while his leg healed enough for him to walk somewhat normal with a cane. When the war ended, Robert was given a medal of honor for his bravery and loyalty then afterward he decided to be a Politian to change some things his grandfather failed to change. After a few tries Robert was able to become mayor of Cloudsdale. The Jupitarians must have loved his work since he was reelected so many times that he has to file for retirement to keep from running again.

After the story I asked him about Butterfly. Robert sighed sadly and smiled at me. He said that after the war, Robert learned that Butterfly graduated from the school for girls and met an artist and went with him to the city of Baltimare. So far he said that she is living happily there with her husband and four children. I quickly wrote down where to find Butterfly in my journal that I carried with me for this occasion. I asked Robert if he knew the address to Butterfly’s place of residence. Robert asked one of his grandchildren to run into his office and find a recent letter from Butterfly. When the child returned Robert handed me an opened envelope, I took the envelope and wrote the address.

I stood up to take my leave, Robert quickly offered me a room to rest in for a day. I tried to decline his offer since I just dropped by, but it seemed Robert’s grandchildren wanted me to stay since I was a Titanian, somewhat of a rarity here in Cloudsdale. So after a bit of pleading and lip quivering from the children I finally accepted the offer.

I stayed for another day then I left the next morning happy to have met Rocket Dash. The picture you sent to me from that request letter gave me a visual of how much Robert Dash had changed since he was young. I could see the same face on some of his sons and grandchildren. But it seemed none of them had his head full of colors you told me about. Maybe one of his decedents will have the rainbow hair, won’t he or she be a sight to see. If he or she is anything like Robert, then I bet that child’s parents will have a handful to control.

After my trip to Cloudsdale I went back home to my apartment in Manehattan to see my girlfriend, this was before I married her mind you. I told her of my adventure in Cloudsdale. Sadly though we had plans to travel with the troupe so I didn't get to look for Butterfly right away, but we had a big event planned at Stallion Island, this peninsula across the river where the rich and the royals of Manehattan live.

Before I left with the troupe to Stallion Island, I recently heard some information about the Apples and went to find your home and where you were born. When I go there however, there was a party going on. I approached one of the groups of Apples and asked if they knew of an “Annabelle Apple”.

It seemed my words made everyone stare at me in shock and anger. I didn’t understand why for the reason of such silence and anger. Until one woman came up to me and strangely enough she looked just like you, Aunt Annie, except she was older and mean looking. The woman asked me who I was. I told her that I'm Annabelle Apple's nephew. Let's just say they threatened to skin me alive if I didn't get away fast enough. From what I gathered they truly despised you Aunt Annie. It was a mystery and feel sorry for you. No wonder why you left the Apple family, those people were brutes!

When I returned to the apartment in a bad mood, the troupe came by to pick us up to play at an event at a fancy duke's house. When we arrived at Stallion Island then to the mansion I noticed something strange, the name on the plague outside the gate was Philharmonica. Then I remembered that was the same name of Mother's lover, Rose Philharmonica. I followed the crowd and my troupe played in front of them all.

Once we had a break I went looking for the family that lived in the mansion. I asked a servant if I could speak to the duke. At first the servant was ready to call a guard until I told him I knew about Rose Philharmonica. He ignored me and called the guards. I kept telling them who I was and what I knew about Rose but they ignored me, tugging me to the back door. I was about to be tossed out when a man stopped the guards. He was a well-dressed man, I thought he was a servant by who he was dressed, and so I quickly blurted out that I knew Rose Philharmonica again.

This time this well-dressed man ordered the guards to release me. The man apologized for the guards and asked me who I was. I told him my name and where I came from. He was surfside by that I was for the frontier. Then he asked me how I knew of Rose. I told him about Mother and how they were lovers back then. The man led me away into a private room then he turned to me.

"My name is Marcus Philharmonica. Rose Philharmonica was my aunt." He said smiling kindly at me. I was shocked, this man was the Duke?! Duke Marcus Philharmonica! "Please," he asked. "Tell me more about her. I haven't heard of her since I was a boy."

I tried to tell him all I knew about Rose, though it was little since you or Mother haven't told me much about her. I admitted it to him that I didn't know much about her and I told him that she died before I was even born. That saddened him greatly. I then told him about the stories I learned of her death and how she was beaten and raped by her brother Reginald. Duke Philharmonica nodded with a pained frown.

"Reginald was my father." He said sadly and angered at once. "I never thought my own father would be that cruel to the sweetest woman I knew."

I nodded unsure what to say. "I'm sorry your grace." I said sadly. "She was sorely missed by her friends. Sometimes I wished I would have met her since my mother spoke so highly about her." He nodded smiling at me.

"At least I know that my aunt was with someone she loved and that's what counts. Thank you for bringing me this information Mr. Scratch, thank you very much." He said taking my hand and we shook on it.

"You’re very welcome, your grace." I said bowing to him. As we walked out, I turned to see a pair of children running over hugging the duke. I noticed that they were twins.

"Father, where have you been?" The first that spoke was a boy with purple eyes.

"Yes father, mother has been worried!" The second was a girl with bright blue eyes.

"Alright, alright," His grace said, but stopped then turned to me smiling. "Symphony, Octavio, this is a very special friend of mine." Marcus said waving me over. I blushed as I walked over bowing to them. "This is Tucker Scratch, a man from the frontier. Remember those stories I told you about you Great Aunt Rose?"

The children looked bored nodding their heads. "You talk about her all the time in piano practice, Father." Octavio said with a snort, his twin sister nodded with an annoyed sigh.

"Well," Marcus said smiling at me. "This young man knew of her as well."

I noticed what he was trying to do so I smiled. "Oh yes, a very brave young woman." I answered. The look of shock the twins shared was silly to say the least.

"You mean she was real?" Symphony asked in shock. "I thought Father made her up!" His grace gave the twins a look causing them to giggle.

"Oh no," I said with a scowl. "She was real alright. She was taken from her home by her jealous brother and sent to the wilds of the frontier."

The two stared at me with shock as I regaled them on the story.

"Rose was stuck as a prisoner in a town in the middle of nowhere. Until one day she met a person that made her life meaningful again. These two lived happily out in the frontier until Rose passed away rather young. She will be missed."

The twins looked guilty then turned to their father then they turned back to me. "Thank you for the revelation, Mr. Scratch." Symphony said with a curtsy as he brother bowed. I bowed in return as the twins walked back to the party. His grace smiled at me and thanked me again for the news. I left that night with my troupe feeling sad yet happy I made someone happy with the news I brought.

The next trip I took was to Canterlot. That was a big stretch. I left the troupe to go and complete this mission. As soon as I got there, it was a cultural shock. It was hard to navigate through the streets, and I thought Manehattan was hectic. After I got my bearings I went to the Canterlot library and it was huge!

After gawking at the ceiling longer than necessary I asked the librarian where I could find the archives. She pointed to the direction allowing me to find it myself. It took a while but I finally found them. Opening the giant book I began searching for Diamond’s family and for Velvet’s. I still had no clue where to find Velvet so I tried looking for the name Kicker first since I remembered the stories that Ace Kicker and Velvet Mist got married sometime in the frontier, not officially though.

Sadly I only found five Kickers but none of them were Ace Kicker. I looked through the book for the Mist family and I found Velvet’s name. I found a page number written then flipped to the page and I found a new name, Sparkle. As in House Sparkle! A very prestigious magical family. And sure enough I found Velvet’s name. I found the address to the mansion and looked for Diamond Belle's family.

I found a family with the name Belle in the book living here in Canterlot as well. So I wrote the address as well. But the Kicker name was bothering me, too much to where I flipped to the page again then wrote the address for the Kicker names. Once I was done I went to get a hotel for the night.

The next morning I went in search of the Sparkle household. It wasn’t so hard to find the royal district but it was sure tricky to find the right mansion. Once I finally got the right directions I walked to the gates of the home and pushed them open for me to enter. I was very nervous going to a fancy place unannounced. I took in a deep breath then walked straight for the door. I knocked at the door pulling off my hat and fixing my hair.

A servant opened the door to see me. "Yes?" He asked.

"Hello," I said politely. "I'm curious to know if a Velvet Mist or um Velvet Sparkle resides here?"

The man blinked looking at me. "Is Mistress Sparkle expecting you, sir?"

I frowned and shook my head. "No sir, but if you just tell her that I came on behalf of her friend Annie Apple, she'll know me!"

The servant rolled his eyes. "Of course she would. And your name sir?"

"Tucker Scratch, sir. Please let her know that I'm Melody Liker's son, she knows my mother." The man nodded then shut the door in my face. I was starting to worry that the savant might not say anything to Velvet, but I decided to wait. I sat down on the stoop waiting. A long time of waiting later I saw two young men about my age walk up then they stopped upon seeing me. I could tell by their attire that they are rich and they look like they belonged here.

The eldest walked up to me with a glare. "Who are you peasant?" He growled.

I tipped my hat. "Um hello, my name is Tucker Scratch, and I'm here to visit Velvet Mist Sparkle."

"Mother?" The second man asked looking at the older boy beside him.

"How do you know of our mother’s maiden name? No one but our family knows her name." The elder asked glaring at me suspiciously.

"Sirs, please, I knew of Velvet by my mother and Aunt. They were friends once out in the frontier."

The elder laughed at me. "Our mother would never hang around with the likes of commoners especially out in the wilds where the griffin kingdoms once sat."

I was getting worried that I have been doomed when the front doors opened and the servant came out then noticed the brothers in front of me.

"Ah masters Moonlight and Stargazer, welcome back."

The elder brother glared at the servant. "Hermes call the guard and have this peasant escorted out."

"I'm afraid I cannot Master Moonlight." The servant said tot eh elder brother. The servant then turned to me, smiling. "I have spoken to Mistress Sparkle. She has ordered me to escort you to her study."

I smiled at the brothers as they were shocked. I was lead into the mansion by Hermes as the brothers followed me saying they want to get to the bottom of such silliness. Hermes led me to a large study filled with books. The servant bowed as the three of us entered the room.

"Mother explain this foolishness!" The elder brother, who I think is Moonlight said glaring at me.

I heard chuckling and I saw a woman sitting in a chair at the balcony past the opened window. She turned to me and I reached into my pocket to pull out the folded picture and sure enough without the winkles and lines she looked just like the younger Velvet in the picture.

"Hermes," Velvet said smiling. "Pease bring in some tea and sandwiches. I belie this young man and I have a lot to talk about. And I’m sure my sons will love to hear my stories?" She asked seeing the brothers’ blush harshly.

"Of course madam." Hermes left the study closing the door. Velvet stood up holding onto the chair smiling at me.

"My, you do look just like Melody." She said softly as I blushed. She led me to the balcony where I took a seat closest to her. The brothers glared at me as they took their seats. "Tell me,” Velvet said sweetly. “Why didn't you take your mother’s name?" She asked me interested.

I told Velvet my story and with Mother’s and she was in shock by the end. "Oh dear." She whispered sadly. "I’m so sorry dear." The brothers glared at me learning that I was a bastard. It seems that in all places bastards are not welcome but I continued as if I didn’t notice.

"It’s fine really. Mother always told me that it doesn’t matter what name you have or what it stood for, as long as you make the best of your life everything will be fine." Velvet smiled.

"That is something Melody would say wouldn’t it?"

Once the tea came we started talking. Velvet told her sons about her adventures in the frontier and they were shocked by the tale. After the story I asked her what had happened to Ace Kicker. Velvet looked sad and told me what had happened. It seemed the sons were shocked by hearing that Velvet was married twice before their father, which was funny to their looks.

Velvet told me that she and Ace Kicker went to Canterlot. Ace and Velvet got married with a marriage license and panned to spend their life together. But Ace was arrested by the military police for his past. It was a long two years before Ace was finally released with one condition to finish his duties as a royal guard. Ace packed and left for war with the other soldiers. But instead of war, he was sent with the patrol to the Everfree Forest, some dark magical forest south of Canterlot where monsters reside.

I asked what had happened. Velvet looked sad as she continued. She said that Ace was able to survive the four years of his deployment in the Everfree and he was lucky to be alive and whole, until he was reassigned to the front lines by some General. Velvet claimed that the General was the same man that was the husband to the woman Ace slept with in his career. Ace being the loyal guard did his duty but at the first run in with the griffins for the battle of Vanhoover, the same battle Dash attended with the Tornado attack, Ace was shot. Ace Kicker died in the first few seconds of the battle.

Velvet began to cry softly after her story. I’m not the only one who felt bad for her. The two brothers looked at one another sad. I gave my condolences for her last husband. Velvet smiled at me and patted my hand for a sign of thanks. So I finally knew what happened to Ace Kicker, so sad that it ended like it did.

I asked if they had any children together. Velvet shook her head, she answered no. She wished to have a piece of Ace with her forever in a child but it didn't happen, the gods must not have wanted them to have a child together.

Velvet explained that it was two years after Ace’s death that she met her latest husband Samuel Sparkle. A talented magician Titanian who was a professor at Celestia’s school for Titanians. Velvet met him while she was working at a library and to Velvet, she said it was love at first sight, she claimed it was like the first time she had seen Ace as a teenager. By the end of the year, Velvet married Sir Samuel Sparkle and became Lady Sparkle. They had two handsome sons and one beautiful daughter. I can happily say that even through her ups and downs, Velvet Mist is now a happy woman.

By evening I took my leave and thanked Velvet for the story and the tea. She suddenly called me to stop me.

"Are you looking for everyone?" She asked me.

"Yes ma'am," I answered. "Aunt Annie wanted me to find everyone and talk to them."

Velvet nodded. "Who else are you looking for?" She asked me.

I told her that I had to find the Belle residence, look for the Kickers, Butterfly's place in Baltimare and then find Tinker Pie. Velvet smiled at me.

"Well it just so happens that my husband was invited to a party at the Belle Residence tomorrow. Why don't you stay for the night and into tomorrow and we’ll all go there together." I nodded thanking her for her hospitality. I get to meet Aunt Diamond's family and be able to fulfill the promise you made for Aunt Diamond.

True to her word, Velvet and her husband allowed me to accompany them to the Belle residence farther into town. When we arrived we were met with a large gathering of people. I stayed close to Velvet and her husband as we approached the residence. It's just like all the fancy mansions around here, but this one had a southern charm to it. I guess the southern charm hadn't left Diamond's family.

I was told by Velvet that Diamond's brother lived at this mansion and he's getting pretty old. Very old. Of course it's no secret that Titanians can live longer lives but I didn't realize this man was in his nineties.

When we arrived I followed close with Velvet through the party, I knew for certain I was way out of place by the fancy high class suits and dresses around me. All I had on me was Mother's black suit jacket, a black bowtie around my neck, nice pants and my hat. I was given some unsatisfied, glaring looks my way. I guess royals know when someone from a lower class gets uninvited

After a while Velvet introduced me to the granddaughter of Master Belle. When I first met this young woman, she was about perhaps twenty years my senior, she looked practically like Aunt Diamond except her hair was this teal green color almost like a sapphire-emerald. She did look quite stunning in her age.

Velvet introduced me to her. I bowed my head in respect as she smiled at me.

"You know Diamond Belle?" She asked interested.

“Yes I knew her. She was my Aunt." I said seeing her beam with excitement. She took my arm pulling me closer to her and she whispered into my ear.

"Do you know where she is by any chance?" She asked hopefully.

I felt guilty ruining her happiness with my news but I went ahead and told her what had happened to Diamond Belle. The woman sighed sadly and nodded her head.

"I supposed it was too much to hope for her return. Oh excuse me, I forgot to introduce myself." She said smiling again but her eyes still convened her sadness. "My name is Sapphire. Sapphire Belle-Lancer, my grandfather Louis Belle was Diamond's brother, second eldest."

"Right," I answered taking her hand and kissed the back of it as mannerisms taught me. "Then I am Tucker Scratch, son of Melody Liker." I said smiling.

Sapphire was thinking for a moment then turned to Velvet.

"Lady Sparkle, you don't mind if I borrow Master Scratch for a while?"

Velvet thought for a moment then sighed. "Go on, be sure to bring him back. He's staying the night at my place."

Sapphire nodded taking my arm into hers. "Of course, just follow me." She said as she started walking. I followed close beside her as she took me away from the party. During our slow walk around the mansion Sapphire asked me questions about Diamond and I tried to tell her all I knew about her. Especially the sore stories about her past.

Sapphire was in shock by the stories about Diamond being a whore in Neigh Orleans and then in the Frontier. But I assured her that Diamond had a happy life later after meeting you, Aunt Annie. Sapphire seemed to be happy for that. After the talk she stopped me at a pair of doors.

"There is someone I want you to meet." She said carefully. "I want you to tell him everything that you have told me. I'm going to introduce you to, my grandfather."

I was surprised by that as she opened the door and peeked her head into the room. She pulled back out then took my arm and pulled me into the room. I was surprised that this was a massive master bedroom with bookshelves on one wall with a mahogany desk by the book shelves. I noticed the large red satin curtains covering the giant windows. But what really caught my attention was the large bed set in the back wall in the middle of the whole room. There was an older man resting in the bed and sitting by him was a man.

He stood up seeing us. Sapphire told me to wait and approached the man talking to him in a hushed whisper. I waited looking around the room. Sapphire cleared her throat and approached me with the man.

"Master Scratch this is my elder brother, Winter Belle. Winter this is Tucker Scratch, he knew Aunt Diamond."

The man held out his hand and I took it and gave it a shake. "I'm happy to know that we get news about her. Grandfather here made it his life mission to find Diamond after he got the rank of Duke by the princesses. But sadly he never found her. Where was she?"

"Later Winter." Sapphire scolded before turning back to me. "Now come, he's awake." She took my hand and dragged me to the bed where I can see the old shrunken man. He opened his hard blue eyes to see me.

"Who are you?" He whispered faintly. I paled and shivered at the sound. This man must be nearing his time by how weak he sounded.

"Grandpa," Sapphire said sweetly. "This is Tucker Scratch." The old man nod his head. "And he knew Diamond."

The man's eyes widened at that. "You do!" He gasped weakly trying to reach up to me. I sat down on the chair that was sitting by his bed and scooted closer to him taking his hand. "Tell me!" He said smiling. "Is she well, where is she?"

I felt horrible but by the look of hope in the old man's eyes I just couldn't ignore that plea for closure. I told him, everything that I told Sapphire and more. From the ups and downs of her life to her end on the farm. The old man had tears in his eyes as he looked up at the ceiling smiling.

"I'm happy that she had a happy ending. I feel so horrible for not doing anything before." he whispered weakly. "She was a sweet, sweet girl as a child. And when she was older she grew into a beautiful flower like she was." I smiled nodding.

After that I left the room feeling my heart break for the man. Sapphire hugged me thanking me for making his grandfather happy, Winter even gave me a hearty handshake letting me know that if I needed anything or get in any trouble to tell the guards to call for him. I thanked them for the party and I told them I was happy to help give a dying man closure.

Sure enough the next morning before I left the Sparkle residence, the news spread like wildfire. Louis Belle died during the night. Though I never knew the man it felt like I was punched in the gut. I turned back and went to the Belle residence to give my condolences to the family. Winter answered the door and saw me. Winter only told me his thanks for giving his grandfather the happiness he needed the night before.

I decided to stay longer and attend the man's funeral, I didn't know why I did it. Maybe it was pity? I wasn't sure for the true reason. Maybe it was just closure for me too.

Two months after meeting the Belles I went into depression and I didn't know why. I stopped searching for a while. That is until a mysterious letter came to my door. I was living with my girlfriend at the time when I got the letter. The address was in Fillydelphia. When I opened the letter it was strange. It was written by a person that knew that I was looking for Tinker Pie. When I looked at the address I knew where to go. I kissed my girl farewell and ran for the train to Filly.

When I got there I was surprised to meet a man who sat nervously at a bench. He saw me and stood up smiling seeing me.

"Hello! Good sir!" He said enthusiastically taking my hand shaking it up and down causing me to almost lose my balance. "Are you by any chance Tucker Scratch?"

"I am," I answered seeing his huge grin that creep me out. No one can smile that wide or even be this happy. "And you are?" I asked curiously.

"Me? Oh how silly of me!" He said reaching into his suit jacket and pulled out a large present from the inside of his jacket. Now when I mean large, I mean large! I had no idea how this man did that magic trick. "This is for you!"

I blinked pulling the ribbon of the bow off then opened the box to find another box. I continued this task until the last box was about the size of my hand. I opened the box then saw a small ball of metal wire.

"Um, what is this?" I asked interested.

The man chuckled. "The beginning of change and discovery, my friend." He said wrapping his arm around my neck pulling me close to him and choking me as he beamed up at the sky. "I had this dream of one day making power cables stretch throughout Equestria and use that line in your hand to make lightning!"

I stared at him confused. "You still didn't tell me who you are!" I wheezed trying to get out of his hold, no doubt this man was an Eponian.

"Oh did I not introduce myself? I thought I did!" He said pushing me aside to reach into his magical coat again to pull out a strange thing, it was a bunch of papers reading through them. I stood back up as the man made a loud gasp causing me to jump.

"Oh, my gosh!" He squeaked. "You're right!" He said tossing the papers away. "Oh well I better be more watchful of such things." He said fingering his chin. "The writer can sure have done better than to have forgotten to introduce me!"

I looked around making sure no one else was watching. This man was crazy!

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"Oh nothing!" The man said giggling, which again was strangely creepy. "My name is Winston Pie! Head inventor for Fillydelphia and I'm the only son to Tinker Pie." He grabbed me pulling me close in a sideways hug again as he pulled off his top hat (that came out of nowhere) and placed it over his chest. "May she remain in peace!" He sniffled and started crying out sprouts of tears from his eyes.

Aunt Annie, to be truthful here, I didn’t like this man. He was too unusual! Too unnatural! And above all he is insane! I don't know what Tinker Pie was like before I was born but I can get an idea what she was like by her son! Nothing else to say besides I will never look at the world the same way again.

I left Master Pie to his fantasies of electricity or whatever he called it and took a train to Manehattan. Funny enough as I was sitting there a young Jupitarian roused me from my thoughts asking if the seat across from me was taken. I told him to take it. He thanked me and sat down across from me.

We sat there in silence until I finally got a look at him. By his facial features I recognized him from somewhere. It took me most of the train ride home when I finally got the idea. I asked the man if he knew of a man by the name of Kicker. The man looked at me for a long moment and said that his last name was Kicker. That actually caught me off guard.

"Really?" I asked. "Please pray tell, have you heard of a man by the name of Ace Kicker?"

This man looked at me as if spooked then nodded. "Ace Kicker was my father."

I was shocked beyond belief, I was sitting across from Ace Kicker's son!

He introduced himself as Storm Kicker and soon asked me questions about him. I tried answering all I could about Ace and Storm seemed satisfied by the stories. And I even told him about his demise in the war. Storm told me he already knew about Ace’s death but no one, not even his mother, told him about his father. Sadly our chat came to an end, he had to get off the train to get home. We shook hands and he thanked me for telling him about his father. I watched him leave the train and couldn't help but feel happy again and yet sad at the same time. It's so hard telling people that their loved ones are dead. It just breaks my heart.

Finally the final member, Butterfly. It took me one more year of searching before I finally found her. Before I left for Baltimare, I married my girlfriend and we are both very happy I should add.

Once I got away from our apartment I went to Baltimare and used the five year old address hoping that it was the same one. It turned out that the address led me to a nice large farm outside of town near a forest.

As soon as I arrived I noticed that there were children running or flying in the air, not only children but animals. So many dogs, collies, mastiffs, and so many mutts! The dogs saw me and started barking and growling. I quickly called out that I was looking for Butterfly.

One of the children whistled and the dogs stopped their barking to turn to her. The girl walked over glaring at me, she looked around thirteen years old.

"Why do you want to talk to Granny?" She asked. I answered that I knew Butterfly and wanted to speak with her.

"Who are you?" The girl asked glaring at me.

"Tucker Scratch, just tell her the name Melody Liker or Annie Apple. She'll know."

Right before the girl left we heard the sound of a ringing triangle on the front porch and I saw her. I remembered the stories about Butterfly but seeing her now, she's a true beauty even in her older age. Her gray and pink hair was up in a bun and she was dressed in clothes that reminded me of something you would wear Aunt Annie. But they seem to be sewn by hand, baggy cotton trousers, a button up yellow cotton shirt and well-worn boots. She saw us and flew over to us landing by the girl.

"And you are stranger?" She asked carefully with a searching look.

"Granny, he says you know him." The girl said pointing at me.

"Really? And what's your name stranger?" Butterfly asked.

"Tucker Scratch, ma'am." I said tipping my hat. "I'm Melody Liker's son."

Her eyes widened hearing Mother's name pointing at me. "But ... Melody wouldn't sleep with men." She said suspiciously. I quickly told her who I was and how I was born, Butterfly looked sad hearing this. Then I told her of why I went looking for her.

"Annie?" She asked in shock. "She's still alive? She hadn't answered any of my letters in years so I gave up writing because I thought she passed or forgot."

I quickly reassured her that it wasn't because of that. The farm took more time and things happened out in the frontier. Butterfly nodded then allowed me to join her family for lunch. It was there I met her husband and shook hands with him. A nice fellow I should add. He was an Eponian artist.

Butterfly and I talked through the rest of the day, Butterfly trying to get me to talk about my life on the farm and how much had changed since she was a teenager. By the time night fell she offered me a place to stay the night at the farm house. I accepted and then after breakfast the next morning I was ready to leave. Butterfly hugged me and said, “Thank you and give my regards to Annie. I do miss hearing from her." I told her I'll try and I left.

There it is Aunt Annie, I finally finished your mission and I finally understand why you wanted to hear from your friends again. I guess it was tough living alone as long as you had. And I promise you now, I'll come and visit you and introduce you to my wife. You’re the only family I have left Annie. In the spring we'll be coming and I hope this letter brought you happiness and closure.

Your nephew,

Tucker Scratch.

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>

Letter to Tucker Scratch from Terrance Cloud
Head Worker at the Apple & Liker Farm in Hoofington.

Dear Master Scratch,

I'm sorry to give you bad news on the arrival of your letter to Miss Annie. My name is Terrance, I work with Annie here at the farm and I have some awful news to report.

Annie was working when she shouldn’t have and you should know that there is no way to stop that woman when something’s on her mind. First we saw her at the graves of her loved ones that morning. We didn't do anything. But then the next thing I knew I was called by the other workers hearing that Annie was in the orchard picking apples and she fell off her ladder. She must have jiggled the ladder and fell over hitting her head, very hard.

We called a doctor in Hoofington to help her but he said that she might not get back up her feet after this blow. Annie woke up sure, but we feared the old girl had finally taken her last straw. I stayed with her at the farm house to make sure she had someone there with her. One night I heard her rambling in her sleep and went to check on her and she was crying out for someone.

I'm afraid I haven't known Annie long but by the way she cried for the names, Melody, Diamond, and her Mother, it was heartbreaking to hear her cry for those names. I took her hand and tried to get her to calm down. When she finally did she thanked me but had one last thing to tell me before going back to sleep.

She told me to give the chest to you. I didn't understand what she meant though, sad to say. I watched her fall back to sleep and soon later I fell asleep too. The next morning I woke up and her hand was chilled and I noticed that she was pale. I felt her forehead and for her pulse. She was gone, she passed in her sleep.

All I can say is that I'm in debt to your aunt. She gave me a second chance when no one not even my own family would give me. She took me under her wing and taught me all I could in taking care of the farm while she was incapable of doing so.

I'm sorry Mr. Scratch, there was nothing we could have done, it was her time and I feared that she was hurting the way she left. Until you say otherwise or until you come and visit, I'll take care of this farm. The property is yours by family right. Please come soon, we have already placed Annie into the ground by Diamond Belle, the woman I heard about in her rants before her passing. She's now laid to rest and I pray to the gods that she's now at peace.

With My Condolences,

Terrance Cloud

Author's Note:

Chapter 23, an additional chapter when I realized that I wrote a bit much on Chapter 22. Tucker's letter was an important link for you guys along with Vinyl and Applejack in learning about what had happened with Ace, Dash, Butterfly, Tinker, and Velvet. Because I'm sure there will be people asking, "What happened to the others? And how are they connected to the characters we know of today?"

So there it is. As for Tucker Scratch, I purposely made sure he doesn't describe his life with his wife. :raritywink: I'll let you guys speculate about his life after the letter. But if I wanted to give him more info I would say that Tucker and his wife had maybe four children, two boys and two girls and all four of them are talented in music and magics. Epilogue is up next.

If there are any mistakes I missed please let me know.