• Published 5th Jan 2014
  • 1,676 Views, 216 Comments

Tales of Apple Scratch: Just Another Wild West Story - TigerSwirl448



An Apple Scratch Sisters side-story. Melody Liker (Vinyl's ancestor) and her sister Annabelle "Annie" Apple (AJ's ancestor) left their home of Manehattan to live their dreams in the boom town of Frontier City.

  • ...
10
 216
 1,676

Ch. 13: What Hurts The Most

Chapter 13
What Hurts The Most

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>


That night.... It had chilled me to the core. Don’t get me wrong, I was happy to finally accept that I fell in love with Diamond or the word she would have used would have been "smitten". Yes, I had been smitten with Diamond for a while but never admitted it in my heart that I truly did love her. I actually felt happy, with a light skip to my step.

I carried Diamond back to the Sweetie Belle. When we entered we were greeted by a shocked Berry, Melody, Rose, even several other friends. Rose, Berry, and a couple of the girls ran straight to me with Diamond in my arms. I told them to give her space. I helped Diamond on her shaking feet and allowed Rose and several other girls to hold her up on her feet. They took her to her private room, but the look on Diamond's face looked desperate for me to be beside her. I told her I would see her soon. It was hard to see her looking at me like that. After she was gone, Melody and Berry gave me these looks. I told them what had happened to me and what happened to Diamond. They were shocked. Berry told me how Dash felt after I was taken by the sisters. I told her that I'll deal with Dash later.

After the talk, I saw Rose return back with the girls, they were running back up to their rooms upstairs. Rose walked over to me to let me know that Diamond wanted to see me. I turned to Melody and told me that if anything happened, to let me know. Melody nodded letting me know that I'll be the first to know if something goes wrong. I left to the private stairs and went straight to Diamond's room.

There I saw her with Wendy as she was wiping off the dirt and blood off Diamond's face. I told the girl to leave us alone as I took care of Diamond's wounds and pains. The poor woman. Not only was she bruised and bloody but those bastards broke her hand, she could hardly move it. I remembered as a child that I broke both my hands from working on the farm. I knew the pain she was feeling. As carefully and gentle as I could I wrapped her hand in bandages to keep her hand still, she cried form the intense pain but pulled through it. Then after the worst of that injury was taken care of, I used a wet rag to wipe off her smeared makeup with the dirt and blood from her beating.

She was silent through it all, she looked tired and not among the living the way she swayed from side to side as I continue to clean off her wounds. That was when I heard a knocking at the door.

"Annie! We have trouble!" It was Melody and I knew it was bad. I stood up to go but Diamond grabbed my shirt to stop me. I turned to her to see her eyes welled up begging for me not to leave her alone. I knelt down beside her then kissed her cheek. I told her I would be back. I grabbed my hat and revolver and headed out. I unlocked the door then left Diamond in her room as I followed Melody up the steps to the tavern.

And sure enough I could see the trouble. It was Sheriff Skytalon and Maxine waiting for us. Skytalon asked what the hell had happened. Maxine mentioned that the Church made a huge complaint to them. I told them what happened and what had happened to Diamond. This surprised the two sheriffs. When Melody asked if there was something they could do to arrest the bastards that did this to Diamond.

Maxine looked pained as she looked to Skytalon to see her snarl. Skytalon told us that the Church goers are now citizens of the Griffin Kingdom and according to the Griffin law, the Brothers and Sisters of the church did nothing wrong.

This sickened me, even the others. Maxine looked shocked by this too. But Skytalon told me to watch myself and stay out of trouble. She will send word when she has a job for me later. Skytalon and a subdued Maxine left the tavern, leaving all of us Equestrians fumed and angry. Not as angry as I was though. I was furious! If the Princess knew about this, she would have made sure such an act would not go unpunished. But the Griffin Kingdoms were a hot bed for religions and no one seemed to object this type of thing.

After that I stomped away with anger. I went instead back to Diamond's room to see her where I left her. I walked over and sat down by her still in anger for what Skytalon told me. After a moment of tense silence, I felt Diamond take my hand and squeezed. I turned to her to see her worried frown. She asked me if I was alright, I sighed and told her that it was nothing.

After a long moment just sitting there, Diamond stood up and pulled me up to my feet and asked if I would stay with her for the night. At first I was a little apprehensive about it but Diamond went through a traumatic situation so it would be fine to stay with her for the rest of the night.

I nodded and smiled telling her that I will. Diamond seemed surprised that I said yes. She quickly told me that she wasn't thinking about doing anything romantic but I stopped her and told her that I knew what she meant and that I wasn't interested in that sort of thing yet. I was still trying to get used to the idea that I'm actually admitting that I love her.

So that night I slept with Diamond for the first time, it was a bit strange for the first thirty minutes lying beside another woman. I mean it's not the same as sleeping with Melody since we're sisters, there is nothing weird about that but with this ... sleeping with a woman that has feelings for me. I fell asleep after the worry left me. I was too exhausted to care.

The next morning though was a bit of a surprise. When I woke up, I found my arms were wrapped around Diamond and she was sleeping against my chest peacefully. For the first time in a long while, Diamond looked peaceful. I didn't know what to think about this, I didn't want to wake her, she looked precious in my arms. At peace, love, and well this peaceful look made her seem younger. I even let myself fall asleep again and I even tightened my grip around her. I don’t know why but I was feeling at peace too.

The next I awoke was when there was a knocking at the door. I jumped awake hearing the door. Not long after me, Diamond woke up too, yawning. She sighed then nuzzled into my embrace half awake. I smiled at that, she was just so cute like that. I carefully stroked her pretty purple hair to the side to see her eyes sleepily look up at me.

"I thought it was a dream." She whispered. I remember smiling at her at that comment. I replied that it felt like that to me, too.

We just laid there, not moving at all. I was looking into her eyes and she was looking into mine. I guess this was when those words I told her last night were the complete truth. I am in love with this woman and I can finally see it now and prove it true. I remember faintly that I was wanting to kiss her or something but that idea faded when the knocking happened again. Diamond groaned then turned to the door.

"Come in," She said with annoyance. I thought she was crazy. I hid under the blankets to hide myself from the visitors as the door opened.

"Hey where's Annie?" It was Melody's voice that soothed my fears. I poked my head out of the bed sheets to see her and she looked at me then grinned. "I thought you said sleeping with women was a sin?" She joked but I didn’t like that statement one bit. Melody quickly told me that Maxine was upstairs waiting for me for a set of jobs. That surprised me, that I even asked if I heard that right. Melody told me that Maxine said she has some jobs for me to do and I better get upstairs fast.

I got out of the bed as Melody shut the door. I quickly got dressed in the clothes I wore last night. I pulled on my pants and shirt buttoning it up. That was when I turned to Diamond to see her looking at me with worry. I turned away and continued getting dressed.

"How long will you be gone?" She asked fearfully. I turned to her to see her worry and the same frightened look she had from the bonfire last night. I sat on the edge of the bed to pull on my socks. Once I was done with that I turned to her and smiled at her.

"Maybe a week, it takes all day to get to the dessert and then well .... It'll be a bit but it won't be for long." I felt Diamond wrap her arms around me holding me tight then I felt her lips on my cheek.

"Be careful." She whispered in my ear before nuzzling that same ear. That motion made me shiver as I returned her hug. I told her I would be back very soon. Then for a final touch to my words I gave her a gentle kiss on her cheek. She smiled sadly at me as I pulled on my boots then took my hat off the bed post, grabbed my belt and holster, then off I went.

As soon as I entered the bar puling on my belt I saw Maxine Dust sitting on a stool looking at me. I walked over to her to hear her orders. She told me straight out that the boss wanted me and the hired guns to do three huge train jobs. I was shocked by the amount, I asked was this all at one time. She said it was and the three trains the boss wanted to be dealt with were going to be back to back.

Melody was nervous and wanted to come, but Maxine shook her head and said that she didn't think Melody could go, she was still slow and limping. Melody was upset but I told her I would be fine. She didn't seem too eager with that. She let me go. I told Berry to let Diamond know that I'll be gone longer than planned. She said she'll send the message and told me good luck.

Before I went to the station I knew it was time. I ran straight to Tinker's barn where I found her tending to her mule and to Twilight. Tinker looked at me and grinned. She said she knew I would be coming that morning so she saddled up Twilight for me. That came as a surprise, I asked her how she knew I was coming for Twilight when I hadn’t told anyone. Tinker just giggled and said that it was the Sense. I didn't understand her gobble so I opened Twilight’s stall and was surprised.

She was all dressed in a saddle and bridle and packed up for a journey into the dessert and she seemed excited to go on a run. I lead Twilight out of the barn then carefully climbed on her back. She moved a touch to the left then the right to get adjusted to my weight then as if she read my mind she pawed the ground ready to go. I let out a whistle nudging my heels into her sides in a light kick then off into a gallop on Main Street.

What made that ride great was the look on Velvet's face as she stood at her shop stoop seeing us ride by. I think she cheered as I rode past her. I turned to see her running to the road waving her hand at me with this huge smile on her face. I took off my hat with a whoop seeing her actually jump up and down waving in return. I swear that would be the first time I seen her smile like that.

I reached the sheriffs stables to see the others waiting for me and shocked to see me on the mare. Dash was smiling happy to see me as we shook hands. He seemed very relieved that I was fine, but the look I got from Kim was anything but happiness. I ignored that as Darius made the call for us to ride off to our stakeout point. Twilight did well while we rode through the canyon, she was able to keep up with the other more experienced horses. She even crossed the stone bridge without stopping, this mare sure got guts and that made me even happier, I knew she would be a perfect partner.

Sadly that happiness went sour throughout our stay. When we reached our stakeout point at the railroad, Darius told us all what to expect. There are three trains we must deal with. The first train was holding some runaway worker that knew too much. This man was going to use the boss' weakness to make the other train outlets better than him. To me it was a hit job, find the man and kill him.

The first job went smooth, I wasn't there to see the man, but I was there with Lucky to get the loot from the safe. The first job was a success. But one thing different happened. A woman ran out of one of the cars and screamed out, "Train robbers! They're getting away!" I remember riding Twilight in flight hearing the woman saying those words. IT got me scared. That night under the stars, I couldn't stop thinking about what the woman called us, train robbers. Were we train robbers? Murderers? I didn't sign up in this to be an outlaw... But am I an outlaw if I'm working for someone else?

The next two days we waited for the second train and this one was different. This will be the first time I noticed a pattern. I noticed that each train we had ran in were painted or designed differently. No train was the same. I asked Lucky about it and she answered me plainly.

"There are five big train bosses in Equestria. Each train depot has their own train design and color. The lowest is the Oranges, you could tell what they are by the old bronze orange color of their trains. The fourth is Grapevine, his trains are a dark green and purple color. The third is Franks, his trains are the strangely pink and white colored trains that seem strange. Second is Bakers, his trains are a blue color."

Out of all of those trains, I've seen every color, but one. I asked her, who was the largest train boss in Equestria? Lucky sighed.

"His name is Philharmonica." Lucky said with a snort. "He's a bastard. A mean, two faced bastard. His trains are the sleek dark purple ones. But they don't come around here."

Philharmonica? "As in the ruling family of Manehattan, Philharmonica?" I asked with shock. Everyone that lived in Manehattan knew of that family. But not much was known about them at that time. Lucky nodded and told me more about this man.

It turned out that he was the eldest of five children. He used all of his life savings to create the biggest train company in Equestria and beat all of the elders in their games. In just five months, Philharmonica became the number one train boss in Equestria. To gain what he wanted he used sabotage and bribery and buying illegal stocks. But he wasn't proven to have any ties to thieving since Equestria was still new to the train market and its ties to the economy. But his reputation of being a hard, mean, man had spread wide. He's also the leader of a group of working men that believe that women should stay out of the workforce. That just made me a touch fearful. Melody worked in the railroad industry, had she been around this man? I hoped not.

The second train went on without a hitch. I was surprised when Kim volunteered me to be her partner in her job. Darius didn't mind as we went off to our positions. Before we went to work, Kim grabbed me and pinned me into the corner of the caboose glaring at me. She made the accusation that Dash and I were sleeping together. I tried to ease her anger by telling her that Dash and I were friends, nothing serious. But to Kim it seemed serious. Now I wonder if that statement Dash made to me about Kim letting him see other women was true or not.

We went to work and I was disgusted. I had to wear my bandana over part of my face to hide my facial features as we robbed the people on the train. I wasn't sure what to do at that moment, I just did what I was told and held out the sack for the people to throw their valuables into. Kim even slapped a woman to make her give up her pearls. I kept my mouth shut, now those words rang clear again. "Train Robbers!"

I'm a Train Robber.

After that job, I confronted Darius about this, and that didn't turn out well. He pinned me to the wall and told me to keep my big, fat mouth shut. I was hired for a reason and I was to do what the boss orders of me. No matter how I felt about the acts. Darius gave me this cold stink eye telling me to behave. I felt fear from this gaze. I just nodded turning away.

If Melody was here she wouldn't allow this.... Would she? It was her idea to get into this and did she know that we were stealing from people? I don’t care who this big boss was, I'm no thief! But a job's a job and I have to get money from somewhere, right?

I woke up super early the next morning, not wanting to sleep, watching the sun rise in the dessert. Our last train will be later that day and I won't enjoy what I have to do.

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>

Melody closed her mouth after a long yawn. She sniffed looking around feeling the saddle blanket against her back. She looked around to find herself outside leaning against a large rock. She blinked then noticed that she was sitting on the hill overlooking Frontier City. She felt something move beside her. Melody turned then smirked seeing Rose resting beside her. Melody wrapped her arm around her stroking her face. Rose opened her eyes sleepily looking to see Melody smiling. She smiled back nuzzling into her neck.

"Had a nice nap?" Melody asked kissing her on the head. Rose sighed getting comfortable against her.

"The best nap I had in a long time." Rose whispered feeling Melody wrap her arm tighter around her. The two sat there watching the beauty before them. Melody looked down to see Rose just watch the horizon and for the first time in a long while, Melody felt at peace. There was no rush, no planning, no worries, just peace. And for some odd reason, it's only when she was around Rose that she felt this peaceful.

"Melody?" Rose whispered.

"Yes?" Melody answered feeling Rose take her hand.

"You're a Titanian right?"

Melody blinked then looked down at her. "Yes, I am. Why?" She asked curiously. Rose sniffed then shrugged.

"I'm just curious since you're the first Titanian that hardly used magic. At least not in front of me." Melody nodded thinking.

"True, that's because I used magic for quite a long time and it's nice to not use any at all, you know?" Rose blinked.

"What do you mean you used magic for a while? What did you do?"

Melody thought for a moment then smiled. "Remember when I said I worked in the train yards as Mr. Liker?"

"Yes,"

"Well for me to pass as a man not only do I have to look the part, but I have to change my voice."

Rose blinked sitting up looking at Melody for a long moment. "Wait, by your voice you sound like a young man already but why change it? How could you change what was given to you from birth?"

Melody smirked. "Well, it turns out that I discovered at a young age that I could use my magic to change sounds and such. I have no idea how I got this magic but it sure did help me in scraps. Here let me show you," Melody said and sat up straight then let out a breath holding up her hand. Her hand started to glow with a magical cord forming between her fingers. Rose watched fascinated as Melody's blue cord started to get longer then with a flick of her other hand the cord started gathering itself up into a tiny ball. Rose then gasped to see that Melody's throat around her Adams apple started to glow in a bright blue light.

"Like for instance," Melody said in Annie's voice which caused Rose to gasp. "I can talk in any voice that I see fit in any situation." Rose smiled watching as Melody close her eyes, it looked like she was having trouble as she started coughing.

"Melody?" Melody held up her finger to forestall her words. Her finger glowed again and so did her throat. Melody cleared her throat.

"This is my Mr. Liker voice." Melody said in a young male's voice that caused Rose to gasp again. "And if I may be so bold to say Miss. Rose," Melody said taking Rose's hand and kissed the back of it. "You have the most beautiful face I ever did see." Rose blushed like a rose as she giggled. Melody waggled her eyebrows before grunting with pain a touch and started coughing, her voice started to morph back to normal as the spell dissipated.

"Are you alright?" Rose asked with worry. Melody nodded wiping her eyes.

"As I recall," Melody said hoarsely reaching for her saddle packs as she pulled out a flask and drank the contents from inside, rubbing her throat. "It took me months to perfect just a simple male voice." Melody whispered smiling.

"Don't hurt yourself." Rose said with worry.

"I'm fine Rose, it's jest it's been a while since I did that spell." Melody said remembering the last time she used her voice changing spell, it was tricking the two gold miners for their gold stash. Which reminded her that she had to go and do more mining again and get that gold to a special place.

"What other voices could you do?" Rose asked interested. "I've never heard of sound magic before."

Melody chuckled. "Neither have I. But from what I learned from many other Titanians, you either gain it by blood or you study it." Melody smirked.

"I can do small spurts right now."

Rose shook her head. "Oh no Melody, you don't need to do that. I mean I don't want you to hurt yourself."

Melody shook her head. "Naw, let me, just for fun and besides I won't hurt myself." Melody created her spell again and her throat started to glow again. "How about this voice, sugar?" Melody said perfectly in Diamond's voice. Rose laughed at that as Melody fiddled her fingers for a second voice.

"Liker, you better do a I say or you're backside will get the boot!" Melody said in Skytalon's voice causing Rose to laugh harder. "Ooh one more!" Melody said as she changed her voice again. "What do you think of this voice Rose?" Melody said in a deep male voice that caused Rose to stop laughing. Melody blinked seeing Rose looking spooked staring at her.

"Rose? Is something wrong?" Melody said still in the man's voice. Rose was shaking still staring at Melody for the longest time. Melody blinked noticing that Rose was absolutely terrified and her eyes went glassy. She stood up and ran away. Melody gaped.

"Rose!" Her voce cracked as she coughed for a few second to get her cords back in order. Once she was able to breath easier she got back up and ran after her to the woods. "Rose!" Melody called out trying to find her. When she left the woods Melody saw her horse standing by the river and Melody could see Rose sitting on the shore line as Fair Breeze nuzzled her. Melody walked over to hear Rose crying. Melody stepped up to her then knelt down in the sand to take Rose's hand.

"Please," Rose whispered. Melody looked down at her to see tears falling into the gentle flow of the river. "Never use that voice again." Melody nodded slowly, wrapping her arm around her. She kissed her on the cheek tasting the salty tears.

"I'm sorry," She whispered. "I won’t do that again." Rose sniffed then wrapped her arms around Melody crying into her chest. Melody gulped with worry. Seeing Rose change in front of her like that made her nervous. Especially the voice she used. If this had such an effect on her then maybe it was a voice she knew?

"You know that voice?" Melody asked with worry. Rose nodded and by the feeling of her getting tighter around Melody's middle reminded her of desperation. Melody gulped back bile for a second feeling horrible. Soon ideas started to form and pieces of a puzzle began to put together. Only in a guess from her gut.

That evening, Melody and Rose returned to the Sweetie Belle on Fair Breeze. Melody noticed that Diamond, Wendy, and several other working girls were busy putting laundry on clothes lines. Diamond smiled seeing Melody and waved to her. Melody smiled and tipped her hat in return. She was surprised to see Diamond out of her room since the day before. Diamond frowned noticing how Rose was leaning against Melody's back with this sad look on her face.

"What happened?" Diamond asked with worry.

"Nothing," Melody said as she dismounted. She reached up to Rose to help her off the horse. "She's just tired." She said smiling. Rose smiled sadly at Diamond then looked to Melody.

"I'll be inside in a minute." Melody said smiling. Rose nodded as she went inside the tavern with the other girls as they took their empty baskets inside. Diamond turned to Melody with a frown.

"What happened?" She asked sternly.

"Nothing happened." Melody said glaring at her. "I just did something and she reacted to it." Diamond was ready to scold her when Melody stopped her.

"Who brought Rose here?" Melody said seriously. Diamond blinked thinking for a second.

"The same man that bought this land."

"What is his name?" Melody asked thinking and hoping it wasn't who she thought it was.

"I only know him by his first name. Reginald."

Melody's heart froze at the answer looking up at Diamond to see her looking at the tavern wall, thinking of giving the tavern a new face of paint. Melody's hands were shaking with fear and shock.

"Reginald?" Melody asked trying to keep her voice calm.

"Why yes, he's a distasteful man." Diamond said with a snarl.

Melody nodded once, thinking. "Um thank you for that bit of info, Diamond."

"Of course, sugar." Diamond said absently thinking about the tavern, not the least bit concerned with Melody as she took Fair Breeze by her halter and lead her to the stable in the back all the while panicking.

Reginald.... The same man that she worked under, the same man she had stolen from. This is his town! He brought Rose here.... Rose.

Melody sighed heavily leaning against the wooden post of the stable feeling horrible now. She remembered the story Rose told her, her brother brought her here.... Was Reginald her brother? She started to get worried. Reginald was well known for abusing women especially the idea that men are more superior in the work force and the Princesses should be replaced with Kings. But what made this worse were the words he said to her while she was working for him. Melody felt her blood run cold remembering all the stories he told back in Manehattan about a girl that he took care of.

"The girl that took it all." Melody quoted feeling sick to her stomach. She fell on the ground, rubbing her face and shaking her head. "Rose was the girl!" She whispered. "Rose was born as a.... Damnit she's a Philharmonica!" She whispered shaking all over. Hearing those stories by Reginald, hearing his jokes about what he had done to this girl that made Melody sick and angry, but she had to laugh and joke along to keep her disguise up.

“That little brat, who killed my mother is said to deserve all the family fortune?” Reginald’s voice cried in her mind. “Can you believe that, Liker, my mother's family was going to give her whole fortune on that little bastard when I should take it! I'm the first full born son not that little brat!”

"Damnit, Melody." She whispered to herself. "Then if I work for the owner then I work under that bastard, too." She rubbed her face as his words came back as she put everything together again.

Melody bit her lip thinking. What could she do? What can she do now? Melody sighed. "If Reginald owns this place then I better get that gold ready to get out of here. When Reginald hears that I'm here, I'm dead." Melody sat there for a long moment thinking. She reached into her pants pocket to pull out her silver watch rubbing her thumb over the music note. She sighed then stood up sticking the cursed watch back in her pants pocket. She left Fair Breeze at the stables and went back into the tavern. It was hard thinking of that place normal now, knowing that Reginald owns this whole place. She ignored everyone inside as she went down to her room and opened the door. She stopped to see a suspiring sight. Her face went red when she saw Rose standing before her, no clothes on her what so ever. Melody gulped heavily looking at her up and down.

"Damn," she whispered closing the door behind her. "What is this?" She asked in shock. Rose blinked once blushing a touch as she looked at Melody before walking forward. Melody watched her walk up to her, she stopped before her and reached over to the door and locked it. Melody was sweating now, worried yet excited, very excited in seeing this. Rose looked up at her then took her hat and tossed it aside. Rose even began unbuttoning Melody's shirt.

"I think you've proven to me that you're worthy." She purred. Melody gulped stopping her hands.

"Are you sure I mean .... I can wait, I mean you can ...." Melody was starting to fumble in her words. Why was she so nervous? This was what she had wanted for close to two years of being here. But for some reason she didn't want to do it. She didn’t want to do anything with Rose, not yet. Rose smiled sticking her hands into Melody's opened shirt hugging her around her middle. Rose nuzzled her neck before starting to kiss her down her neck.

"Why are you so nervous?" She asked.

"I'm wondering the same thing myself." Melody admitted breathlessly. Rose smiled up at her.

"Take a guess," She whispered before licking Melody's ear causing her to shudder.

"Maybe because I have a relationship with you already and I don’t want to ruin that." Melody said quickly pushing Rose away. Rose looked up at her confused. "I really like you Rose I do .... Since we first met, you told me to wait or prove myself to you before I ever do this and I accepted it that I will never get to you. But now that we've been friends for a while,”

“Friends?” Rose asked smiling again as she walked forward to her again swaying her hips. Melody blushed brightly at that trying to control herself. Rose asked taking Melody’s chin to steer her face towards hers. “”What do you call all the romps in the hay we have been doing, hmm?” Melody gulped.

“I just …. Those were different, that was for the fun of it but this …” Melody whispered worriedly. "I don’t want to ruin our friendship." She said pitifully. Rose smiled softly at her, the mirth in her eyes was replaced with understanding.

"I understand where you are coming from Melody. But I am serious about this." She said wrapping her arms around Melody's neck. Melody gulped looking down at Rose's breasts and desperately wanted to satisfy herself with the girl she fell in love with, but it just didn't sit right with her right now.

Was it because of the connections Melody made? Was it because she finally learned about who Rose really was and what she had been through most of her life? Melody didn't want to harm Rose any more than she had already endured with Reginald. But she is right there! Naked and telling Melody that she wanted her and she's open to make that next step.

Melody sighed taking Rose's hands and lightly pushed her back. Rose was confused until Melody began taking off her belt, she looked at Rose to see her grin. Rose quickly leaped up on her again and started to kiss her as Melody kissed back, a bit awkwardly since she was still trying to get her pants off. Once she finally got the infernal cloth off her feet she went into the kiss even stronger, feeling Rose pull her to the bed. Rose fell back onto the bed with Melody on top of her as they continue to kiss.

After that moment, the thoughts of hurting Rose went away, the thoughts of Reginald ruining Melody's plans of happiness went away too. All Melody was focused on was loving this woman and making sure she will become the happiest woman in the world.

<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>:<>

Annie clenched the reins again glaring out into the distance. She sighed wiping the sweat off her forehead from the sun. Twilight shook her head with a snort waking Annie from her angered state. She loosened the reins.

"Sorry girl," Annie whispered, patting Twilight on her neck then stroked her mane. Twilight flicked her ear back toward her as if listening to her. Annie smirked at that stroking her ear. "I'm just going through stuff right now."

"That I can tell," An older voice said. Annie jumped and turned to see Darius on his black horse trotting over to stand by her. Annie clenched the reins again with one hand as her other hand continued to stroke Twilight's mane. That seemed to calm her down. After a long moment of silence Darius sniffed rubbing his nose.

"I'm telling you this not because I like you, I don't." Annie turned away watching the hills. "You are going to stay with Dash in the back load. Stay there and do as you are told."

Annie glared at him seeing him glare back at her. "You will do as Dash commands of you and when you are told to run, you run no questions asked. Understood?" He growled.

Annie stiffened glaring at him. "I'm no thief!" She whispered harshly. The man smirked a touch as she shook his head.

"You're not a thief, you're a ...." He paused to think then smiled sweetly at her. "You're a dog. A dog that has a master that controls you. You don’t have that little she-man taking the bait for you."

Annie growled at the insult to her sister. He grabbed her collar and shook her hard, Annie was gripping onto Twilight with her legs to stay on. Twilight neighed with fright at the sudden movement.

"Listen bitch!" He growled. Annie glared back grabbing his hand and used her other hand to keep her balance on his horse. "As long as you work under me, you are mine to control. I don’t care what your morals are, you work for the boss. When the boss' not around, you work for Skytalon, and Skytalon has me in control outside her jurisdiction. So if you make another trip out of line like you have been doing since you started this job, I will give you a lesson you won’t soon forget!" Annie felt him push her back onto her horse. She fixed her collar to see him glare at her.

"You don’t go anywhere near the third car. Understand?"

Annie spat to the side glaring at him. Darius snorted then turned his horse away. Annie snorted then heard the sound of a horn in the distance. She turned to see the black billowing smoke of the oncoming train. She sighed as the others went up to her. Dash stood by her as the train came closer.

"Looks like we're buddies today." Dash said with his trademark smirk. Annie stayed silent. Dash's smirk wavered as he watched her. "You alright?" Dash asked worriedly.

"Why you so worried?" Kim snarked getting a wince from Dash. "She's fine." Dash kept his mouth shut looking to his friend with worry. The train sped past them, it as the green and purple one of the Grapevine.

"Let's move!" Darius called out as he led them after the train. Annie waited until the others were gone then kicked Twilight into following. Annie reached the caboose last seeing Dash waiting for her taking her hand and hoisted her onto the train. Dash sighed patting her on the back as Twilight followed the other horses to the desert.

"Come on!" Dash called over the wind and rattling of metal. "We have a job to do." Annie didn’t move from her sitting position. Dash stopped and turned back to her with confusion. "Come on, we have a job to do."

Annie closed her eyes trying to think. Who was this boss that ordered for hired guns to steal from people? She didn’t want to harm people. That wasn't what she wanted to do, and she doubted this was what Melody wanted. After a moment she felt something rise in her chest, this feeling that is telling her to get up and do something about it. She sighed opening her eyes then turned to Dash. Dash stiffened seeing her glare.

"No,"

"No?" Dash asked confused. "Why?"

"We're stealing from innocent people! This isn't why I signed up."

Dash leaned against the door looking at her. "Look Apple, come on, we're not “stealing” from anyone." Dash yelped suddenly when Annie grabbed his jacket and pushed him into the door.

"Don’t give me that shit!" Annie snarled glaring at him. "Don't think that this hides the truth. We are stealing from people and we're train robbers!" Dash winced at this. He looked into Annie eyes to see what reminded him of betrayal.

"Do you know who the boss is?" Annie asked.

"No, I never knew. I signed up before you did!" Dash said quickly shaking his head. "I asked about him so I could meet him but Darius told me to not think about it. I get the money and that was that!" Dash said seeing that Annie turned away. Dash felt Annie release his jacket letting him fall back on his feet on the platform.

"I'm sorry Annie." He said softly with worry. "I wish I knew."

"Who is he though?" She asked turning to him. "Why is the Boss wanting us to rob the trains? Is he really getting back what was stolen or was he the one stealing?" Dash shrugged.

"I don’t know, I wish I knew. It seems that Darius doesn't want us to know."

Annie nodded. "Maybe he knows or he's the boss?"

Dash blinked then started thinking. "Hmm, but why would he be the boss. I don’t think he would know the train times. I mean he gets the times from Skytalon and Skytalon get the times from the boss."

Annie thought for a bit then had another thought. "Why would Darius not want us at the third car?"

Dash thought for a moment. "Actually I never thought about it? He told the rest of us too."

Annie thought for a moment then looked at the side ladder then up at the roof. "Let's go find out."

"Huh?" Dash asked with surprise. "Wait a minute," He called as Annie started up the side ladder. Dash went after her. Annie reached the roof top first then looked forward to see Lucky already heading down to do her job. Dash climbed up behind her holding on as his magical wings started to form to keep him balanced.

"What's your plan?" Dash asked worriedly.

"Time to see what Darius is trying to keep from us." Annie started forward, hunched over to keep from falling over. Dash followed close behind her. Annie and Dash fought through the jitter of the cars and the wind to reach the third car behind the engine. Annie climbed down the ladder then gasped seeing through the tiny window of the door. She hid to the side and motioned Dash to stay where he was on the roof.

Dash lowered onto his stomach to wait as Annie peeked inside and what she saw inside shocked her to the bone. Through the window she could see people chained, sick, and scarred. And what else she could see Darius talking to men with silver armor and weapons, the sigils on their chest look to be Griffin Kingdom Guard. Darius was talking to them and shaking their hands.

Annie hid again looking at Dash to see him looking at her with confusion, wondering what Annie was seeing that caused her to look so pale. Annie gulped then peeked inside again to see more of the chained prisoners. They had dark skin looked like a brownish red color, lighter than Velvet’s skin tone. They had long black hair, the men were bare chested while the women wore strange hide clothing. There are children there too. The children cling to their mothers as the three men were looking them over.

"Slavers!" She whispered with shock hiding again looking at Dash. She gulped looking at him then at the door. Did Dash knew about this? What about the others? Melody? No not Melody, she despised human labor like this. She looked through the window again to see Darius and the two guards walking to the other side.

"Wait, where's Mac?" Annie asked. Mac was with Darius earlier.

Suddenly Annie heard a hard whack and turned to see Dash fall unconscious on the roof above her. She gasped to see Mac standing above him looking down at her.

"You were given orders to do a job." Annie gasped as the man leaped off and landed before her, grabbing her jacket then kicked down the door. Darius and the two guards stopped and turned to see Mac with Annie in his grasp.

"Looks like Apple didn't follow your orders, Darius." Mac said pushing her to the floor. Annie heard the silent gasps from the held captives. Annie happened to turn to her right and stiffened seeing a dead fair skinned woman dressed like the other captives. Next to the dead woman was a young fair skinned child. She looked similar to the dead woman, her long braided pink hair was covered in old smelly blood in places.

"Great Epona," Annie gasped before she felt Mac grab the back collar of her shirt and jacket and force her up on her knees.

"I caught her and Dash sneaking around." Mac said. Annie glared hearing the two guards speak in griffin tongue. Darius smiled patting them telling them to leave him alone. The two guards left Darius alone with Annie and Mac with the slaves.

"So you’re the boss." Annie said severely. "You're the one that gave us the jobs!"

Darius chuckled shaking his head. "No, why do you think I would make these orders?" Annie blinked then turned to Mac to feel his revolver against her head.

"You are a touch smarter than what Skytalon claimed you to be." Darius said as he crouched down to look her in the eye. "But a little too naïve. You don’t know who you are dealing with."

Annie growled then looked at the people around her. "Who are they?" She asked. Darius chuckled looking around.

"Who are they you ask?" Darius asked laughing. "These people claim to be the first inhabitants of this land. Buffalo People."

Annie gasped remembering that name. "Buffalo People? But I thought they've-"

"They have been too few in the last few decades. Slowly and surly they are being wiped out. But what better way to let them rot if they can be used?"

Annie glared at him trying to fight off Mac but his grip was firm on her. "This is slavery!" She snarled. "Slavery is against human law!"

Darius patted her cheek, he took her hat then tossed it to the side. "Slavery might be against Equestrian law, but you forgot Eponian that I'm a Griffin. Slavery is our life and these people will owe their lives to us their saviors, the ones who took them out of the harsh wilderness to give them life. Teach them to live like actual human beings."

Annie growled. "That's against human law!"

Darius sighed sadly shaking his head. "For a religious sort you get on my nerves Apple." Annie bit her lip to keep from talking. Darius smirked and waved his hand. Annie felt the barrel of the revolver taken away.

"Hands up," Darius ordered, "Behind your head." Annie gulped as she did as she was told. Darius nodded. "Take her gun."

Mac nodded as he grabbed her jacket and took the revolver from Annie's holster and tossed it to Darius to hold. Darius checked the wheel then smirked as he snapped the fully loaded wheel into the gun then pulled back the hammer.

"You won't keep your mouth shut, you're a naïve, goody two shoes girl. And you just stumbled onto something you shouldn't have." Darius said smiling.

"Do the others know about this?" Annie asked. Darius chuckled.

"Only Mac and myself. The others, no, they don’t know anything. And neither will you." Darius said pressed the barrel of her own revolver on Annie's forehead.

"Wait a sec!" Mac said quickly. "She's our muscle, you can't kill her yet."

"Shut up Mac! If I let her go alive she'll no doubt tell the others, she already proved her side when she questioned her place." Darius snarled. Annie gulped then looked at the gun. "Trust me Mac, this is better." Annie squeezed her eyes shut as Darius pulled the trigger hearing the metallic clank. Annie gasped so did the other slaves.

"Huh?" Darius asked looking down then pulling back the hammer to realize there was no cap. "What the-!"

Annie growled and tackled Darius to the ground, causing the Colt to slide away. Darius grabbed Annie's arm as she tried to reach for the revolver to stop her. Mac ran forward to help, but a slave smirked and stuck out his leg tripping Mac causing him to fall on the floor. Annie struggled with Darius as he reeled one hand and punched her hard in the face. Annie was then kicked off of him falling on her back. She gasped as he ran forward, went on top of her, and then grabbed her neck choking her. Annie desperately placed her hand on his face trying to push him away from her.

"You are a fool Apple!" Darius snarled. "You and that she-man sister of yours! You two were nothing but trouble!" Annie struggled against the older man trying to get herself free. Annie then turned and noticed the little pink-haired girl looking at her with fear. Annie blinked once seeing her. Annie then looked down to see the way Darius was on top of her. She smirked then lifted her knee fast connecting with Darius' crotch causing him to yelp out loosening his grip. Annie then bucked her hips up causing him to fall forward over Annie. Annie then pushed him to the side hitting the crates.

Annie panted grabbing her revolver finding a chamber with a bronze cap on the nipple and sighed. She heard cry of warning and turned before she felt an arm wrap around her neck choking her. Annie dropped her revolver again to grab Mac's arm trying to breathe.

"Don’t make me kill you Annie!" Mac strained as she struggled.

"Funny,” She strained back. "I was gonna say the same thing!" Annie then grabbed his jacket then with a mighty pull, she flipped the heavy man over her to the ground. Then she slammed her foot into his chest hearing a horrible snap as Mac screamed out curling up.

Annie heard the gunshot then felt the horrible pain in her shoulder as she went down on her knees holding her shoulder. She turned to see Darius with Mac's revolver in his hand glaring at her. Annie snarled back.

"Mac?" Darius called hearing the horrible wheezing and coughing from his partner.

"I ....can’t breathe!" Mac wheezed coughing up blood.

Darius growled walking straight to Annie grabbing her by her hair pulling her up to her feet. He used his foot to push the side door open. Annie gasped as the train made a shake.

"Well lookie there!" Darius called over the wind as Annie looked over to realize that the train was slowly moving over a large wooden bridge over a ravine. She looked down to see no desert floor but a long drop into the canyon. She felt Darius shove her closer to the doorway.

"I love to see you're horse gods save you now." He laughed. Annie snarled at him.

"You won’t get away with this! Melody will-"

"You think I care about that bitch?" He asked with a smirk pressing the revolver into her neck. "I'll make it easier for you to fall, hmm?" She heard the lick of the hammer being pulled back. "See you in the afterlife Apple. It was nice knowing you."

Annie gulped back bile as she watched the ravine below her waiting for that final moment. Everything she wanted to do here would be for nothing. No freedom, no new homestead, no more Diamond. She will never see Diamond again even before she would continue their budding relationship.

She heard the gunshot and screamed feeling a hard shove, she grabbed for the door to stop her fall. She blinked and realized she wasn’t in pain or falling. She gasped, seeing Dash leaning against the door near the salves with his revolver smoking. Annie grunted as she pushed herself back into the car, she grabbed the rope to pull herself away from the opening panting hard.

She looked down to see Darius lying dead in a growing pool of blood, a red and black hole in the side of his head. Annie looked up to see Dash sigh then fall to the ground rubbing his head. Annie turned to see Mac lying still, he choked in his own blood. Annie gulped hard turning away.

"Thanks-"

"Don’t thank me yet!" Dash winced pointing. Annie turned in time to see the door open and the two griffin guards gasped seeing the two dead men. Annie didn’t waste any time. She leaped for her Colt and grabbed it. She pointed it up and pulled the trigger once to hit the first guard in the chest, throwing him back into the wall. He said to the floor dead. The second guard screamed as he threw his spear at her. Annie dodged it then pulled the trigger again hitting the griffin guard in the face killing him instantly too.

Annie panted for a long time then turned to see the spear was only centimeters from her ear. She felt something come up then ran to the side door and threw up. Dash winced as he turned away noticing the chained people around him.

"How're you doing”?" He asked smirking only to get strange faces in return.

Annie sighed spitting the leftover bile from her mouth shaking. She moved away from the door then leaned against the wall breathing heavily. "What do we do?" She asked.

Dash slowly stood up rubbing his multicolored head. "Well we have to stop the train. Kim and Lucky will be wondering what's going on."

Annie looked out the door then at the four dead bodies. After a moment she had an idea. "Come on, I have an idea!" She called as she got up grabbing Darius from under his arms.

"What are you going to do?" Dash asked. Annie pulled Darius over to the side then pushed him off the train watching him fall into the ravine far below. Dash was a bit shocked but then he understood her plan. Dash limped over to grab a guard as Annie shoved the other guard out the train. Annie looked down at Mac to see that his chest was caved in causing her to feel bile again. She gulped hard grabbing his jacket as she pulled the dead man to the opening then pushed him off.

She watched him fall until the train reached solid land again blocking her view. She couldn't stop thinking about what she had done. Dash patted her shoulder causing her to look up at him. He smiled at her she smiled sadly back at him.

"You did good Apple. You only did what you had to do. Don’t get upset over what you did. Think about what they would have done if you didn't do it." Annie nodded slowly.

"Experience?" She asked.

For a long moment Dash didn't say anything. He sighed and nodded. "Yeah, but I'll tell you at another time." That was then Dash turned and noticed the fair skinned woman and the girl. He went stock still staring at the woman as if he was about to get sick himself.

"Great Jupiter!" He whispered covering his mouth with his hand.

"Dash?" Annie asked noticing him walking closer to the dead woman. He knelt down before her and moved her pink hair aside to see her face and immediately he changed. Annie stood up walking closer to him as Dash started to shake.

"Dash, do you know this person?" Annie asked with worry. No doubt she was very different than the other captives there but she was dressed the same way as the others.

Dash sniffed wiping his eyes. "Yeah, she was my ....babysitter so long ago." Dash said on the verge of crying. "She was ....damnit!" He whispered crying. "She was ...." Now it was Annie’s turn to comfort him. She placed her hand on his shoulder and squeezed.

"The last time I saw her was two year before ... we went to San Fransiscolt. She and her husband ....they left to understand the frontier and the people that live in the frontier. She was ...." That was when he paused to see the little girl hugging the dead woman's arm sniffling. "Pregnant," He whispered with awe seeing the girl.

Annie blinked, her first thought that the girl was the daughter was true. Dash reached his hand to the girl to see her back away from him shaking her head. Dash bit his lip holding out his hand to the girl. The girl shook her head crying staying away from Dash's hand. Annie pulled Dash back, he glared at her.

"Dash think about it." Annie said silently pointing to the girl. "She's terrified of you." Dash felt horrible turning back to the girl to see her crying. "Hey, go on ahead and stop the train. I'll try and get these people free." Dash nodded looking at the girl.

"What about her?" Dash asked.

Annie thought for a moment. "Just go and take care of the engine I'll try and get her to trust me." Dash glared at her for a moment then nodded. He got up then headed to the door. He stopped and turned to the dead woman again then headed off.

Annie sighed then turned to the chains of the dead woman's wrists. She sighed then looked over to the side and saw the keys hanging on the wall. She took the key ring hearing the startled gasps of the captives. Annie smiled then walked over to the first man and unlocked his chains. He sighed as his arms fell to his lap feeling the blood flow through them. He smiled as Annie smiled back.

She walked down the line unlocking the chains on the captives getting smiles and words of thanks as she continued down the line until everyone was unchained except for the girl and her dead mother. Annie walked over to the last two captives and unlocked the dead woman's wrists. Her arms were still up in rigor causing Annie to feel sick. Annie carefully placed the dead woman on her back on the ground, she reached into her jacket to pull out her handkerchief. She unfolded the cloth and placed it over the woman's face to show respect. She turned to notice the Buffalo people were watching her, some were smiling.

Annie turned to the girl to see her looking at Annie. Annie smiled at the girl as she started unlocking the chains around her tiny wrists. The girl winced holding her arm, Annie shushed her softly holding her arm tenderly in her giant hands. The girl smiled and touched Annie's giant thumb. Annie felt a smile tug her lips as she grabbed some folded cloth at the corner and ripped it into a smaller piece to wrap it around the girl’s neck and arm to make a sling.

"There you go little one." Annie whispered gently as the girl smiled up at her. Annie and the captives felt the train slow to a stop. When the train stopped Annie stood up and walked to the door waving for the captives to approach the door. Annie pointed out to the land around them. The first buffalo warrior leaped off the train, landing on the ground in a squat. He called out for more as two other warriors leaped off the train to the ground.

Soon one by one the captives were helped off the train. Annie turned in time to see Dash already flying off in search for their horses. Annie leaped off then looked up to see the girl looking at her. Annie reached up to take the girl from under her arms and placed her on the ground. Annie turned around to see the buffalo people already moving on.

"Wait!" Annie called out, one man turned to her. Annie pushed the girl to let her follow them. But the man was shaking his head and waving his hands trying to tell the girl to leave. This confused Annie, even the girl as she was talking to them trying to go with them. But one younger man walked over and shoved the little girl away causing her to fall on her back crying. The younger man spoke very harshly at her pointing to the train. The girl continued to cry as the man yelled at her.

Annie glared at the two men as they finally shooed her off and started running after the rest of their tribe into the desert. They just basically abandoned her in her time of need. She needed the family she knew the most and they abandoned her. But why? Annie wasn't sure.

"Annie?" Annie turned to see Lucky and Kim walking over to her. "What happened?" Lucky asked. "Who were they?"

Annie sighed. "Just some captives that were on the train." Annie answered.

"Why did they leave the kid?" Lucky asked hearing the poor girl crying out words of the buffalo tongue screaming for them to come and get her and not leave her alone.

"I don’t know." Annie whispered as she walked forward to the girl.

"Where's Darius?" Kim asked. Annie ignored her as she approached the child then scooped her up into her arms. The girl started screaming with fear until she heard Annie whisper into her ear causing her to immediately go still and silent. The girl turned to her. For a long moment they stared into each other’s eyes, then the girl wrapped her arm around Annie’s neck, crying. Annie shushed her softly rocking her.

"I got you little one," She whispered softly she heard a sharp whistle and turned to see Dash in the air waving to them from across the bridge. Annie sighed then turned to the girls.

"Let's go! We have a long way home." She ordered as she started walking to the railroad bridge. "The engineers will wake up soon and start the train. We better be gone by the time that happens."

Lucky nodded and followed her as Kim glared at Annie's back. She snarled silently as she followed the women across the bridge. Something was not right and it had something to do with that damn Apple.

Author's Note:

Here it is, Chapter 13. It took forever to think of a good name, so this Rascal Flats song title seemed to fit perfectly for the chapter's theme. Also known as the longest chapter I have ever written that was not a one shot! Awesome!

We get another Melody and Rose moment. What did you think? Did you guys like the flash forward to Vinyl and her magic skills? It seems that Melody could use the same style of magic but not as successful as Vinyl will be in Apple Scratch Towards the World. Does this magic run through the family? Also the big part on Annie and Dash, what did you think about that? Were you surprised that Darius had a second job? What about the girl? That's Fluttershy's ancestor, sad story hmm? Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter.

Let me know if there are any mistakes I missed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's about time I do another Ancestor list. Here we go, starting from order of appearance in the story. Like I said before each of these characters are related some way to their decedents.

Annabelle "Annie" Apple: AJ's Ancestor
Melody Liker: Vinyl's Ancestor
Velvet Mist: Twilight's Ancestor
Ace Kicker: Cloud Kicker's Ancestor
Diamond Belle: Rarity's Ancestor
Berry: Berry Punch's Ancestor
Rose Philharmonica: Octavia's Ancestor
Yelena Skytalon: Gilda's Ancestor
Maxine Dust: Lightning Dust's Ancestor
Tinker Pie: Pinkie Pie's Ancestor
"Rocket" Dash: Rainbow Dash's Ancestor.
Lucky: Lyra Heartstrings' Ancestor
Kim: Colgate's Ancestor
Wendy: Ditzy Do's Ancestor
Butterfly: Fluttershy's Ancestor (The little girl Annie rescued.)