• Published 23rd Dec 2013
  • 1,504 Views, 194 Comments

Children of Chaos - shirotora



Razor Wind and his friends are sent through time to a much darker Equestria

  • ...
22
 194
 1,504

Chapter 6: Blasts from the Past

Chapter 6: Blasts from the Past

Oak came back from speaking to the train station ticket master with a thoughtful look on his face.

“Ah don't like that look,” Autumn stated, “What’s wrong?”

“Our bits are useless,” he informed his two companions. “They use something called a drac now.”

“Great, so what do we do now?” Blaze asked, exasperated.

“I guess we're walking, unless you just happen to have the currency of the future.”

“What are you fussin' 'bout anyway?” Autumn gave him the stink eye, “You got wings, we don't, so quit bein' a cry baby.”

They began their trek north through the once small town. They could hardly believe this was the same town. Blaze and Autumn grew up here, yet nothing was familiar. Even Oak, who grew up in Manehattan, was in awe of the massive city. He wondered how his own hometown must have changed in the past five hundred years. Few words were exchanged outside of calling attention to different strange or amazing sights.

Eventually, they came to the city limits and sighed in relief. Despite how remarkable everything was, it was unsettling to see their home like that. As they approached the limits, a pony dressed in full body armor that covered every inch of him stopped them. His armor was a shining silver, featureless save for the solid black faceplate.

“Halt,” he commanded, “IDs.”

The three looked at each other briefly before Blaze echoed, “IDs? Why?”

Another guard joined the first and answered, “Because we told you to provide them. Unless you don't have your ID.”

“Oh, right,” Autumn chuckled nervously, “Ah think we left them at home, yeah.”

“Yeah, right,” the first said, as he reached out and snatched Autumn's right fore-hoof.

“Hey!” she protested to no avail.

A red light passed over the mare's hoof.

“That's what I thought, tagless,” The first snorted, “You three are under arrest.”

“Wait, what?!” Blaze shouted indignantly, “For what?”

“For working for the resistance,” The second said as a gun extended from his shoulder, laser sight trained directly on the pegasus' chest.

“I'll have you know, we're close personal friends of Princess Twilight and Prince Waya,” Blaze argued.

“Ha! Tell me another one,” the second said.

“You know what,” the first interjected, “These ones are going to be trouble. Let's just execute them and be done with it.”

Before any of them could react, the sound of magically focused energy filled the air. An explosion rocked the streets, kicking up dirt and debris. In the confusion of panicking ponies, the trio noticed the two guards, laying dead on the street.

“Come on, follow me!” a gruff, age-faded teal pegasus with a graying blue mane said before grabbing Autumn and running.

“Hey, what are you doing?!” Blaze called after the retreating figure.

“Saving your worthless hides, that what!” said their rescuer, “Now follow me!”

Not left with much choice, the trio followed the stranger into an alley. They went through the labyrinthine passages until they came to a door which was quickly bucked in. The stranger pulled them inside and slammed the door shut.

“Why in the hell would she send me to rescue a trio of incompetent buffoons,” he grumbled.

“Hey, we can hear you!” Blaze growled.

The older pegasus whipped around, “You think I give a... damn,” his eyes widened as he saw the dragony hovering just above their heads, “Blaze?”

Blaze looked at the older stallion, brows furrowed as he examined the other. His eyes widened to match their savior's as recognition hit him.

“Streak?”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Razor and Surprise sat quietly for nearly an hour, deep in thought. Why had those townsponies reacted like that? Surely everypony in Equestria knew who his father was, so wouldn't they be able to tell he was related? Maybe the town was scared because they were evil and thought that he was there to bring them to justice? Further thought was interrupted by Surprise finally speaking up.

“We should probably head toward that city we saw,” she stated matter-of-factly. “There should be someone there that could help us, and probably tell us how to get to Ponyville or Canterlot.”

Razor nodded, “Yeah...” his voice in an inattentive whisper.

“Hey, Razzie, don't worry about them, okay,” she tried to cheer him up, “They're just a bunch of idiots. You know, they were probably evil. Why else would they be afraid of the son of Equestria's guardian?”

“No... they weren't evil,” Razor said quietly, “They thought I was going to butcher them.”

“Well, that's just stupid,” Surprise stated plainly, “You still get a little choked up when you kill a deer for food.”

“Hey, I... plead the fifth,” Razor countered.

“There is no fifth amendment in Equestria,” giggled the changeling.

“Shut up,” Razor said as he pulled her into his arms, “You're lucky you're sexy.”

“Again, helps that I can be whoever I want,” said the sudden Cadence lookalike in his arms.

“Oh, we haven't done it as a princess for a while,” Razor pressed his lips to hers.

A sudden sound drew him out of it, though. He looked up, ears swiveling, listening.

“Something's out there,” he warned.

Surprise perked up her ears, listening for the sound, “I don't hear anything.”

Suddenly, the tree behind them exploded in shards of wood. Razor and Surprise dove to the side.

“I found them,” said a low voice, “Advance on my position.”

“What the hell are you doing?!” Razor called out.

His only answer was another shot aimed at his head.

“Raz, run!” Surprise pulled her boyfriend in the opposite direction of their attackers.

They stayed on the ground, using the passing trees as cover. Shards of wood flew in every direction, miraculously missing the two fleeing lovers. Razor could hear the faint radio chatter from the pursuing ponies. Whoever they were, they were well trained and organized. It was obvious they were some kind of military group, but under whose employ?

The pair burst from the forest to find their path blocked by a vertical cliff face. Razor turned and placed himself in front of the changeling mare, his ears listening for any sign of the ones hunting them... nothing. Only silence came at them. Had they pulled back? Why would they chase them this far only to just give up? No, they didn't give up.

Razor focused intently on any sound he could hear. He knew they didn't stop chasing them for no reason. There! A faint whistling sound like...

“Get down!” Razor pushed Surprise to the ground as he used the momentum to dive in the opposite direction. A silver blur wizzed by, right where he had been standing. Razor turned to look at the object that had nearly taken his life. A spear was embedded in the stone of the cliff. It's long, bladed head and beautifully carved shaft were incredibly familiar to the tigony...

As was the one who threw it.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Snow glared at the nightmare, waiting for him to continue. She had heard plenty of stories about the last nightmare Equestria had, and she wasn't about to trust this guy one bit.

“I-I had to... well... you were hurt and dying, see,” he stammered nervously, “and the only way my healing powers work is if I, um... see I have to... possess you. I'm sorry!”

Snow's glare intensified, “You possessed me!?”

“It's the only way to save your life! I'm sorry!” the nightmare threw himself to the ground, fore-hooves covering his head. “I'll get out as soon as you're better, I swear!”

Snow approached the cowering void demon, examining him. It was strange, seeing one like this. Her mother and father told her about the void demon invasion, and Nightmare Moon. They were vicious, sadistic monsters that wanted nothing more than to destroy anything good, but this one...

“Tell me about yourself, demon.”

“Well, my name is Specter,” he began, “About five years ago, the emperor summoned me and ordered me to find and possess Tiriel, the leader of the resistance.”

“What emperor?” Snow asked.

Specter looked at her like she suddenly sprouted a second head, “The Emperor of Equestria. Who else?”

“Emperor of Equestria?” Snow returned the look, “Wait... you mean Shining Armor? He can be a bit of a hard case, but he's not an emperor.”

“I'm talking about Emperor Solaris,” the nightmare corrected, “Prince Armor was killed with his wife, sister, and brother-in-law five hundred years ago.”

“What?” Snow scoffed, “No way, I just talked to Twilight three days ago. She came to see us off on our road trip... wait...” Snow wasn't quite as smart as her brother or parents, but she was still rather intelligent, “Surprise used that thing that warped space... but according to some theories, Space and Time are one and the same. Oh my goddess! That explosion must have warped her spell and sent us into the future!”

Specter raised an eyebrow, “The future? You expect me to believe you're from five hundred years ago? What spell could do that?”

“A Divine Element,” Snow deduced, “Surprise's ribbon must have been a Divine Element. It would have to be to let her do all those things Pinkie did.”

“A Divine Element?” the nightmare's eyes widened in shock, “That... that could be possible then.”

“Wait, so... Twilight's dead?” Snow couldn't believe that, “How? She's, like, the most ridiculously powerful pony in the world since Luna went back to the Astral Plane last Hearth's Warming.”

“You knew Luna as well? Amazing,” He mused before getting back on topic, “But, yes, she was killed... by an assassin named Shirotora.”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Shiro was a broken man. First, he lost his youngest son and daughter, then, just a few days later, his wife, eldest son, daughter-in-law, and grandchildren were taken in one fell moment. The once strong warrior had given up. For three days, he sat at that window in his room in Canterlot Castle, looking out at the horizon. He couldn't even bring himself to attend his family's funeral.

A knock sounded from his door, but he made no move to answer it. The knock came again, but this time it was followed by the door opening.

“Lord Tora?” said the familiar voice of Chancellor Sun Ray, “Lord Tora, are you in here?”

“Go away,” said the weak, pitiful voice of Shiro.

“Lord Tora, I just wanted to make sure you were alright,” said the chancellor, “You weren't at the... ceremony.”

The gold maned, sky blue unicorn trotted to Shiro's side, “We're all worried about you. Princess Twilight and Prince Waya especially are afraid for you.”

“Leave me be.”

Sun Ray gave him a pitied look, “No. You need to talk about it.”

“I said go away,” Shiro growled a little more dangerously.

Sun Ray set his jaw in determination, “And leave you here to waste away? Never. You've done too much for this nation for us to turn our backs on you. Let me help you.”

Shiro snapped, tackling him to the ground and snarling in his face, “Help? Fine! Give me my family back!” Shiro's anger faded back into depression as tears began to flow, “They were everything to me, and now they're gone. It... it hurts... so much...”

“Shh,” the chancellor pulled the large predator into a deep, comforting embrace. “I know it hurts. It's a terrible, cold, empty pain, but... I can make it go away. I can make it so you'll never have to feel anything ever again.”

For a time, Shiro was silent until his sobs broke out and he uttered, “Anything... just make it stop.”

“It will, Shiro, my boy, it will.”

A victorious smile crossed Chancellor Sun Ray's lips.

Author's Note:

Do you hate me yet? No? You will after the next chapter :trollestia: