• Published 23rd Dec 2013
  • 1,504 Views, 194 Comments

Children of Chaos - shirotora



Razor Wind and his friends are sent through time to a much darker Equestria

  • ...
22
 194
 1,504

Chapter 2: The Journey Begins

Chapter 2: The Journey Begins

Razor walked through town with his father, saying hello to various ponies he hadn't seen in some time. Ponyville had grown quite a bit over the years. While still not a full-fledged city, it had become quite the large town. They even had a downtown. It was only a few blocks, but it was still there. It was there that their destination was to be found. Razor saw it as both a good thing and bad thing growing up in a booming town. It was cool to see the progress the town made, but almost all his favorite places as a cub were gone or changed beyond recognition.

There was one thing that didn't change, though. Ponyville's premier nightclub, and home to the infamous DJ Pon-3. The Wub Shack had been around as long as the tigony had been alive. As they approached the hotspot, a ruckus could be heard from inside. The sound of shouting and breaking glass could be heard from across the street. As the father and son reached the place, the front doors flew open as the massive form of a minotaur flew out and landed hard on the road in front. He was followed by what resembled a zebra mare with a solid, snow white mane, unicorn horn and a black tee, with big white letters reading “SECURITY” and she was livid.

“You think just because you're bigger than a mare means you can intimidate her into sleeping with you?” the mare seethed. The minotaur tried to get up but was knocked onto his back by a striped fore-hoof and was pinned down. “You wanna fuck with somepony smaller than you? Fuck with me, I want you to.” When the brute just lay there in a quivering mess, the mare continued, “Now apologize to the nice lady.”

“I-I-I-I-I'm sorry! Please don't hurt me!” He cowered.

“Now get the hell out of here, and don't let me catch you around here again.” the striped mare released him and stepped back.

The minotaur staggered to his hooves and started limping away. When he was a few yards away he muttered, “Crazy bitch.”

“Excuse me,” Shiro stopped him, raising to his hind-legs to look him eye-to-eye, “What did you call my daughter?”

The minotaur looked up angrily but quickly recognized who it was that addressed him. He tried to respond, “Uhh... da... daughter?” he looked back at what he had thought was a zebracorn. She gave him the biggest smile she could, exposing the deadly sharp teeth of a predator. “She's... your..? Ahh!” the hulking mass of bovine cowardice took off down the road screaming like a filly.

“Daddy! Big brother!” Winter Snow shouted the same way as she did when she was six, “You're just in time. I'm actually already off. I was heading to the door when that creep told a mare that if she didn't go back to his room with him, he was going to tear her house down.”

“Well, then you didn't kick him enough,” Shiro responded.

“Are we going hunting?” Snow asked, “‘Cause that guy really got on my nerves and ripping out something's throat would be very therapeutic right now.” Several nearby ponies that heard the comment gaped in horror. “What?”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

The serene quiet of the forest was shattered as a white blur exploded from cover. The elk reacted quickly, guided by instinct, and took off in the opposite direction. Shiro and Razor followed closely behind Snow, but didn't interfere. This was her hunt, and hers alone. It was how they did things. They hunted alone, without magic, weapons, or, in Razor's case, wings. It was their way of ensuring those fit enough to escape could pass those strong genes to the next generation. Plus, it was more exciting.

The elk gave it his all, but in the end it wasn't enough. Snow leaped at him, knocking him to the ground with a swift strike of her fore-hoof. She promptly sank her teeth into his neck, ending the hunt with the severing of its arteries. Quickly, before it had time to cool, she formed a blade from her magic and cut it open. Another tradition of theirs was the one who made the kill, got the best part, the heart. She pulled the organ from its chest with her amber magic. With a squelching sound, she tore off a big chunk, savoring the flavor.

“Oh, yeah,” she sighed in contentment, “That's the stuff.”

“Nice job,” Shiro congratulated, “You're getting better.”

“Thanks, daddy.” She popped the rest into her mouth and closed her eyes, enjoying the last bit of meat and adrenalin before both were gone.

“Alright, go on and get cleaned up, and bring back some water. Me and your brother will get this guy ready, then we'll get one more and head home,” Shiro told her as he pulled out his knife and began working on the animal.

“Alright, be right back,” Snow said as she pranced off toward the stream.

When she was gone, Shiro spoke up, “I want you to take Snow with you.”

It took Razor a few seconds to comprehend what was said, “You mean... on the road trip? Dad... you know there's going to be, um... not-so-wholesome things on this trip, right?”

“Oh, you mean like sex, drugs, and alcohol?” Shiro smirked, “Yeah, I know. She's eighteen, an adult, and she's only ever been here and Canterlot. She needs to get out more and see the world, even if it includes... those. Do it for me, son.”

Razor looked down at the massive eyes on his suddenly cub-size father. The sight of him trying “the cute look” made the tigony laugh, “Oh, goddess, you're so weird. Fine, I'll take her, but don't blame me if she comes home pregnant.”

“Ow! God damn it!” Snow's voice boomed, “Stupid fucking rock!” The sound of a shattering stone followed.

“And see if you can help her with her little temper issues.”

“Little?” Razor deadpanned.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

The sun was still low to the east when a rather large gathering of various races began to form outside Shiro and Jynx's house.

“Sup, cuz,” Sky Blaze said as he landed beside Razor and offered a cyan hoof.

Razor bumped it with his fist, “Can't wait to get on the road.”

“I feel ya. Hopefully we'll find some hotties on the way.” He added.

“Where's Streak and Aunt Dash?” Razor said, noticing the lack of his youngest cousin.

Blaze sighed and said, “He refused to come out of his room. He's still upset that I'm going. Mom's at home trying to get him to come out. It's like he can't live without me around.”

“You'll miss it when it's gone,” said a dark blue earth pony as he trotted into view.

“Midnight! How's it going?” Razor beamed as he greeted his older brother.

“Good. I can't stay long, Applebloom needs me to get a few things, and she's too far along to watch the foals for long. I just wanted to tell you to have fun, don't get arrested, at least for anything real bad, and look out for Snow. Sorry I can't stay. Maybe your new niece will be here when you get back.”

“Alright, tell AB I said hi, and give my niece and nephew a hug for me!” Razor waved as Midnight walked off.

“Will do!”

“I swear, those two are like rabbits,” Shiro said as he approached his middle child. “Already giving me a third grandchild. God, I feel old.”

Razor chuckled, “You're not that old, you know. You're only fifty-two, and Midnight's only eighteen years younger than you.”

“It doesn't stop the feeling, though. I miss being your age,” Shiro said regretfully, “Oh well. I had my time for youthful pursuits and missed most of it. Your mother and I try to have that kind of fun now, but...” Shiro gave his son a pat on the back, “don't waste this time you have. Live it up. Ha! Now I'm even sounding like an old man.”

Razor and Shiro sat beside each other, waiting for the rest of the crew to arrive. They didn't have to wait long though. Applejack came trotting down the road with a familiar, gold coated mare in tow.

“AJ, Autumn, over here!” Shiro called, waving his paw.

“Hey there you two,” said the elder of the two.

“Hi, Applejack,” Razor greeted, “You ready to go Autumn?”

“You bet Ah am!” replied the mare.

“Now, Razor,” Applejack said in a serious manner, “Ah'm trustin' ya with the well bein' of my oldest daughter. Keep an eye on her for me, will ya?”

“Yes, Ma'am.”

“And, Autumn,” She turned to her daughter, “Drinkin', Ah'm fine with. Drugs... Ah'd prefer ya didn't, but ya are, so be careful. And... if ya gotta... ugh... find a colt ta... ya know... use some gosh dern protection... And Ah don't just mean a condom... ya know what Ah'm talkin' 'bout.”

Autumn's coat was quickly changing colors starting from her cheeks, “Mom! Yer embarrassin' me!”

“Good, then you'll remember. Ah just don't want ya doin' something you'll regret.”

Autumn hugged her mother, “Ah know, ma. Ah love ya, too.” She released Applejack and turned to Razor, “Where's Surprise?”

Razor shrugged, “I don't-”

“Surprise!” cried the changeling as she popped out from under the tigony.

“Gah!” Razor jumped behind Autumn.

“Razor, ya big scaredy cat!” Autumn scolded.

Razor ignored her, “Surprise? How... Pinkie taught you her secret?”

“Yeperoni,” said Surprise, “Hey, where's Oak?”

“He's talking to mom,” Razor answered, “She's showing him what to do if the Trail Master breaks down.”

“Alright, so now that everypony is here, let's get this show on the road,” Shiro said, “Raz, I want you to hold onto these for me.” He took off his bracelets and handed them over to his son, “I know you don't like fighting, but I’m sure you won't let anything bad happen to the others. I trust you remember how to use those?”

“Yeah. Hopefully I won't have to,” Razor put the magical weapons on his wrists and stepped up into the cab of the carriage, “Come on everypony! We're wasting daylight!”

“Hold yer horses!” Autumn scolded, “Ah'm gonna miss ya ma.”

“Ah'm gonna miss you too, baby girl,” Applejack gave a brief hug, before taking off her stetson and placing it on her daughters head.

Autumn gasped, “Momma... your favorite hat?”

“Not no more. Ya earned it,” Applejack smiled at her eldest daughter, “Now go on and have some fun. Yer chores'll be waitin' when ya get home.”

Autumn gave her mother one last smile and hopped in the vehicle. Surprise followed as Jynx got out and joined her husband.

“You behave yourself, Snow,” Shiro said as he gave his daughter one last hug, “And try to keep that temper of yours on a leash.”

“I will, daddy,” Snow said, “I'll miss you.”

“Wait!” a teal colt with a royal blue mane and tail called.

“Streak!” Blaze returned, “I was afraid you weren't going to see me off.”

“I-I'm so sorry,” said the kid.

“It's cool,” Blaze said.

“You better bring back something awesome,” said the scruffy voice of Rainbow Dash.

“I will, mom,” Blaze said, “Streak, you're the stallion of the house until me or dad gets back. Take care of mom.”

With that, the last passenger boarded the vehicle and, in a flurry of farewells and confetti, the Trail Master moved forward, beginning its trek.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

High above, on a large cloud, a great red dragon curled around a butter yellow dragony as he watched the magical carriage move away. A red claw brushed a strand of pink mane from the pegasus' face.

“You do the right thing, my love,” said the dragon.

“I know, but... what if he fails?” the pegasus asked, “What if he dies? I just wish I could go down there and warn them. Or maybe I could stop him myself”

“There is a reason your grandmother never intervened directly. She knew if she did, they would become dependent on her. They need to be able to stand on their own four feet.”

“Oh, Paruk,” the mare wrapped her hooves as far around his neck as she could, “Why can't I see how it ends? Then I could make it better.”

“My sweet Kataya,” Paruk smiled, “The Element of Kindness couldn't have chosen a better wielder.”

“I think we should leave,” Kataya said, “I... I don't want to have to see Shiro when he's told his children are dead.”

Author's Note:

Updates will be every Friday until I run out of premade chapters.