• Published 23rd Dec 2013
  • 1,499 Views, 194 Comments

Children of Chaos - shirotora



Razor Wind and his friends are sent through time to a much darker Equestria

  • ...
22
 194
 1,499

Chapter 7: Friendly Faces

Author's Note:

This is where you start to hate me.

Chapter 7: Friendly Faces

“No...” Snow whispered, “Y-you're lying... That can't be true! My dad would never kill anypony!”

Specter's eyes widened, “Your dad? You're the demon's daughter?”

“Demon?!” Snow was absolutely fuming, “How dare you! Dad saved the whole world twice! First from an evil god, then from Tartarus itself! How dare you call him that!”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, calm down,” the nightmare held up a hoof in a placating gesture, “I'm sorry, just... That's what he's called now. I'm sorry, but there's something you need to know about your father...”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“D... D... Dad?” Razor stared in astonishment at the figure before him.

It was, in fact, his father, but he was... different. Gone was the belly he had developed with age, replaced by firm, youthful muscle. His stripes were once again vibrant, not faded. This was his father in his prime, young and strong. But the most startling feature wasn't his body, but his eyes. The once friendly azure eyes were an empty, lifeless gray.

“Dad... what's wrong-” Razor tried to speak but was cut off by Shiro lunging at him, claws bared for the kill. Razor dove out of the way, the claws barely missing.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“What do you mean?” Snow asked, her voice a mixture of anger and worry.

“It's hard to explain, but when his wife and children were killed-”

“Mom was killed?!” Snow's heart clenched at the thought.

“Yes,” Specter said with a sigh, “After that, Shirotora was devastated. It was then that Chancellor Sun Ray approached him with an offer.”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“Dad! What's wrong with you?!” Razor called.

The enraged tiger pulled his spear from the stone and turned it on his son once again. He leaped at his feathered offspring, swinging the Wind Bound Spear in a wide arc. His attack was thwarted by a bolt of green energy.

“Raz, he's not right!” Surprise called out as she fluttered up a bit, shimmering wings buzzing as her black, curved horn was alight with energy, “He has no emotion, as if he's empty.”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“He offered to take away the pain,” explained Specter, “And your father, being in the state he was, wasn't thinking right. He accepted, but there was a catch. He would be left a soulless husk, a puppet for the Chancellor.”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“Why are you trying to hurt us?” Razor pleaded.

“You have been listed for execution by order of Emperor Solaris,” said Shiro in a flat, monotone voice.

“Emperor? What-Ahh!” Razor's further questioning was interrupted by a claw to the sternum.

“Raz!” Surprise called before she charged the older tiger, “You son of a bitch!”

The shaft of the Wind Bound Spear slammed into the changeling's skull. She slammed into the ground, bouncing a couple times. Thankfully, her chitinous exterior absorbed much of the impact.

Razor pulled himself to his feet, tears forming in his eyes, “Why, dad? Why are you doing this? I'm your son.”

The elder feline replied with a hind leg slamming into Razor's abdomen in a punishing roundhouse. Razor slammed into the cliff side and fell in a heap. Shiro twisted his spear, holding it blade-down and leaped into the air, intent on delivering the deathblow.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“The spell keeps Shirotora's body young and strong. Using him, Sun Ray killed the royal family, the Elements of Harmony, and anyone else that defied him,” the nightmare continued.

“The chancellor renamed himself Solaris and proclaimed himself emperor. Thanks to the spell rejuvenating him, Shirotora still serves as the emperor's enforcer, hunting down his enemies wherever they might be.”

Snow sat in silence for some time before, “How do you know what happened?”

“I was told what happened.”

“By who?”

“The mare that saved me...”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Razor watched his own father dive at him with the intent to end his life. The passive, emotionless expression on his face just served to make it worse. It was as if he thought as much of murdering his son as he thought of wiping his paws before walking in somepony's house.

As he watched, the sky darkened, as if the light was being sucked away. Razor furrowed his brow in confusion at the strange phenomenon. Suddenly, the world seemed to light up again as a beam of pure, concentrated light lanced through the sky, slamming into Shiro's side, sending him flying into the distance.

Razor shook his head, trying to get back to his senses back. He staggered to his feet and hobbled over to Surprise. Still wary as to what just happened.

“I've been waiting for you, Razor.”

Razor jumped at the sound. An elderly dragony mare with a faded yellow coat and long gray mane stood at the edge of the trees. Razor's jaw dropped as recognition set in.

Razor rubbed his eyes in disbelief, “Kataya? Is that you? Y-you're old?”

“Yes, well five hundred years does that, even to a dragony,” she said with a playful smirk. “Now, come on. Get Surprise and follow me.”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“...Kataya the seer.”

“Kataya's alive?” Snow asked, a little bit of joy in her voice.

“Yeah,” answered Specter, “Remember how I said I was summoned to possess Tiriel, the resistance leader? Well, when summoned, my kind must fulfill the command of our summoner, but when I was making my way through the forest looking for him, Kataya captured me. She performed a song that not only broke me free of the summon binding, but gave me a real body. I can turn incorporeal if I want – it's how I possess others to heal them –, but I'm flesh and blood without need to take somepony else.”


“So...” the void demon started, “Do you want me to stay until you're completely better? Cause if not, you should be well enough that a week in bed will have you walking around again.”

Snow thought about it for a moment, “I'd rather be back to normal as quick as possible. So... tell about life in the void.”

////////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

WARNING: The following depicts the slaughter of five of the mane six. If you don't like it, DON'T READ IT! This is only here for those of you who want more of an explanation than “they died”.

////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Twilight trudged through the halls of Canterlot Castle. The past week had been the worst of her life. First several of her closest friends' children were lost in a cave in, most she called a friend herself. Then, she lost even more friends when a landslide took out the Pony Express. Now Shiro's been missing for three days.

The alicorn sighed. She just wanted nothing more than to cuddle up with Waya and sleep. She arrived at the royal apartments and walked in. She looked up and froze at the sight before her. Waya was laying in the middle of the room in a pool of blood, his eyes staring off at nothing. Twilight's breath and heart quickened.

A sound from her right snapped her away from the grisly sight. In the corner stood a familiar face.

“Shiro? What happened-” She was interrupted by the tiger quickly swinging his spear at her.

She felt a light breeze on her neck and the world suddenly twisted and turned. The last thing the princess saw was her own body falling.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Applejack pulled her cart. She had been pouring herself into her work the past week. The thought of all she had lost was too painful, so she didn't give herself time to hurt. She didn't let herself think about her daughter, her sister, or her niece or nephew. She just poured herself into work.

A loud crack sounded just before the entire cart lurched to the side. Applejack turned to glare at the broken wheel. With a sigh, she unhitched herself with practiced ease and went to inspect the damage.

“Dammit,” she mumbled.

She turned to head toward the barn to fetch her tools when a white paw swung around, tearing a chunk from her throat.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Rainbow Dash repositioned the day's cloud cover. It was hard to motivate herself after what happened, but she still had Streak to take care of, and Jet was there for her. It was hard, but she did what she had to do.

“There,” she said to herself as she put the last fluffy cloud into position.

Just as she was about to head to the office to clock out, she noticed a familiar wingless speck flying her way. There was only one individual that she knew that could fly without wings. She flew towards the figure to meet him.

When she was close enough to make out a few of his features, she called out to him, “Shiro! Where have you been?”

She was answered with a torrent of silver fire.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

The pounding of her own hooves was the only sound Rarity heard. Her eye for detail was all that saved the fashionista. She noticed something was wrong with Shiro the moment she saw him. It wasn’t his sudden youth, that could have easily been his chaos magic at work. His eyes were what gave him away... his cold, lifeless eyes.

In her panic driven state she found herself running into the Whitetail Woods, hoping she could lose him in the trees. She soon realized that to be a mistake. She could feel his hollow eyes on her, but she couldn't see or hear him. She berated herself for thinking she could lose him in the woods when he hunted in this type of terrain. This was his element and she feared entering it would cost her life.

Sure enough, a bush exploded in a fury of white and black, tackling her to the ground. The tiger that was once her friend bit down on her neck, closing off her air supply. She tried to struggle, but found her strength fading. She knew this was the end, prey for a hunter. Her struggling slowed and eventually stopped as she blacked out.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Pinkie Pie was going to be problematic. Her sixth sense meant she likely already knew Shiro was coming. Her uncanny mobility would also be trouble. Sun Ray had a couple other subordinates take care of Phoenix two days ago in the hopes that losing both her daughter and husband would crush the emotionally fragile earth pony's will to resist.

Shiro kicked in the door to her home and was met with an unexpected sight. Sun Ray's plan had worked better that they had hoped. Shiro took one look at the pink figure hanging from a rope and left to find the final Element Bearer.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Shiro stalked around Kataya's cottage. He had seen her tending to her animals like always before returning inside. Shiro had to be extremely cautious with this one. Not only had she likely seen exactly what he was preparing to do, but was an extremely accomplished fighter herself. Her razor sharp claws were much more dangerous than Shiro's and her solar breath was deadly.

Shiro decided a direct confrontation was a bad idea, so instead he gathered as much energy as he could and unleashed a massive gout of chaos fire. The magical flames completely doused the abode and everything in it. Satisfied, he took to the air to alert his master that his mission was complete.

The flames burned for what felt like days, but was truly only a little over an hour. When they died, all that remained was the charred, curled corpse of a great red dragon. Oddly, there was movement from the deceased wyrm. It shifted and wiggled a little before a thin beam of light shot out, cutting a hole in the body. Soon a yellow claw found it's way out of the dragon followed by a face and long pink mane. Eventually Kataya pulled herself completely free.

She hugged the snout of her onetime lover and cried, “Oh Paruk, I’m so sorry.”

She wanted to stay there with him, but knew it would be a bad idea. Before long, somepony would come to investigate. She took one last look at her lover and jumped to the ground to where her proxy laid. She felt like a monster digging up the body of a pegasus, and even more so having to sing her bones to look like a dragony, but they needed to think she was dead. The future of Equestria depended on it.