• Published 23rd Dec 2013
  • 1,504 Views, 194 Comments

Children of Chaos - shirotora



Razor Wind and his friends are sent through time to a much darker Equestria

  • ...
22
 194
 1,504

Chapter 5: Where's a DeLorean When You Need One

Chapter 5: Where's a DeLorean When You Need One

The trio stared in awed confusion at the nonsensical sight before them. Was there another town called Ponyville they didn't know about... an entire city... bigger than any other city in Equestria..? All their confusion, all their questions and all their thoughts were summed up by Blaze quite well.

“What the hell is this?”

Oak shook his head, “I... I don't know, but this can't be right. That... thing... Surprise did, what was it?”

“Ah ain't never seen it. You?” Autumn turned to Blaze.

“I haven't either,” Blaze echoed their confusion.

Oak closed his eyes and took a deep breath, “Okay, let's look at the facts here. This city is called Ponyville, correct?” the others nodded hesitantly, “Obviously, there's only one Ponyville we know of, so that leaves two possibilities. Whatever that spell was Surprise used was most likely interrupted by that blast, causing the spell to go haywire and either sent us forward in time, or into a parallel Equestria.”

His two companions' eyes widened in shock. They looked around themselves, seeing all the advanced technology. Blaze gasped and pointed a hoof at a massive TV sitting on the side of a building. The others looked to where he was pointing.

“Well,” Oak said, surprisingly calm, “That answers that question.”

The news program spoke of a double homicide, which was strange enough, but wasn't what drew their attention. In the corner, the date read, May 24th, 1524.

“Is... is that right?” asked Autumn.

“I guess I was right,” Oak said grimly, “I just hope we're in our own future, and not some alternate. It'll be hard enough to find a way to go back in time, if it's even possible, but transdimensional travel is only possible under very specific circumstances.”

“Yeah, my uncle's from another world,” Blaze said.

“Oh, right,” the botanist in training scoffed, “I keep forgetting that Raz is half pony.”

Blaze chuckled, “It's pretty common in our family.”

Oak raised an eyebrow, “More than Razor and Snow?”

“Yeah, me,” Blaze smirked.

Oak looked at the dragony skeptically, “As much as I want to ask, we have more important things to worry about. We're likely in our own dimension, but that doesn't change the fact that we need to find out how to get home. Now unless you guys know anything about temporal magic, we need to find someone who knows.”

“Well, why not Twilight?” Blaze mentioned, “I'm sure she knows what’s going on. She was already super smart, and now she's had hundreds of years of studying to get even smarter.”

“Having ties to royalty does have its benefits,” Oak smiled, “Let's go find the princess.”

“Great, let's go,” Autumn said a little impatiently, “The sooner we find her, the sooner we can find Raz, Snow, and Surprise.”

Blaze's face fell, “Snow's body, anyway.”

“What?” Autumn looked at the cyan stallion in confusion.

“You saw what happened,” Blaze said somberly, “She was right in that explosion. We have to face it, even as tough as she is, there's no surviving that.”

“Hey, don't go givin' up on her like that!” Autumn scolded, “Fine, she... she probably didn't survive, but who knows. Amazin' things happen to our families all the time. Besides, she's got chaos magic. Maybe not much, but she gots it. Maybe it saved her.”

Blaze sighed, “You're right. I... I need to stay positive. Snow's a tough filly. If anypony could survive that, it's her.”

“That's the spirit,” Oak encouraged, “Now come on. We need to find out where to get some transportation.”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Razor and Surprise landed just inside the tree line at Razor's insistence.

“What's wrong Razie?” Surprise asked.

“I... don't know,” he said, “I just have a bad feeling... like it's not a good idea for me to go in there.”

Surprise looked from the town to her boyfriend and back, “I could go alone if that would make you feel better. I can just go, get directions home and meet you back here.”

“No, I'll go, too. Just give me a second,” Razor pulled upon his chaos magic, willing it to help him. He felt it pull back, ready to do as he asked. The tigony reached his paw into a hole in a tree and pulled out a long cloak. “This'll do.” Razor put the thing on, the hood casting magic shadows on his face even in direct sunlight.

“Chaos magic rocks,” Surprise giggled, “I wish I had it.”

Now disguised, the pair of college students headed toward town. Razor drew stares as they entered town, which was expected but still annoying. It didn't take them long to see that this town was different than any other they had seen. The technology present was far more advanced than even cities like Canterlot or Manehattan. Cars that looked more like the ones from Earth they had seen on TV rode through the streets. Ponies walked down the sidewalks talking on crystal phones. Even a few TVs were displayed in a store window.

“Since when did your mom's company start distributing TVs to stores?” Surprise asked.

“She doesn't,” answered Razor, “You have to order them through the mail service still. Come on, let's ask where they got them from.”

The two went into the store and quickly found the owner behind the counter. A simple yellow unicorn stallion with a red mane.

“May I help you?” he asked, giving a wary look at the cloaked tigony.

“Where do you get your TVs?” Surprise inquired.

“Same as everypony, Crys-Tech. Their branch office is down the road. Just look for their logo.”

They thanked the stallion and left again, looking for the branch office. They spotted the logo and started towards it when a young colt, no more than twelve or thirteen, came barreling from around a corner and plowed into Razor. They both went rolling, tangled in each other's limbs. When they finally stopped, Razor slowly struggled to his feet. Gasps and fearful murmurs echoed around them as everything seemed to come to a halt.

“You okay, kid?” Razor asked offering a paw.

“Yeah. I'm...” the colt's eyes widened in horror.

“What's...” Razor noticed his hood was knocked off by the impact, “Oh... I knew they'd react bad to me.”

“Hey, stop staring, why don'cha,” Surprise scolded everyone.

As if she discovered a hidden trigger, the ponies of town panicked, running and screaming. Cries of 'demon' and 'he's going to kill us all' were heard from the frantic spectators. A few took to throwing themselves to the ground, begging to be spared. Razor threw his hood back on and the couple took off toward the outskirts of town. The whistles of town guards sounded behind them, but they were far faster than their pursuers. They entered the Everfree again, losing the cops.

“What... the Tartarus... was that about?” Razor panted.

“I don't... know, but... they weren't scared of... you because they... thought you were... some random monster,” Surprise gasped, “That fear was... like the fear ponies feel... about me... The fear of something they were warned about. Like they were taught to be afraid of you.”

“Why would they fear me specifically?”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“Ahh... this is the life.”

Snow stretched out on her towel, enjoying the summer sun. The waves gently lapped the warm sand as she sipped on a mojito. She set the alcoholic beverage down on the table and put her fore-hooves behind her head, relaxing.

And why shouldn't she get to relax? She earned it, after all. First there was that werewolf that kept trying to get her to sleep with him, than there was that dumb ass minotaur, and getting blown up...

Wait... she got blown up! Snow suddenly realized she had no idea how she got here. In fact, the only place she had even seen a beach was on TV. Where was she? Did someone foalnap her? No... She may not have been as smart as the rest of her family, but she was still above average on brains. She took another sip of the mojito, examining the taste. She never had a mojito before, but she knew what went in it. This thing had none of those flavors. She dumped it out and tossed the glass to the sand.

The tigony grasped a palm leaf in her unicorn magic, horn glowing amber. She lowered it and took a bite. It tasted like mint. Thoroughly confused, she took another sip of the 'mojito' before she realized something. She looked at the drink, eyes narrowed in accusation at the not-spilled booze.

It clicked, “I'm dreaming.” The striped mare looked around as if seeing the scene for the first time. “Well, this dream is kinda lame. I'm waking up.”

“Please don't,” a soft, masculine voice came from all around.

“Who's there?!” Snow lowered herself in a threatening posture.

“Please, I’m trying to help you. Just hear me out, and whatever you do, don't try to wake up.”

“Why not,” Snow asked skeptically.

“Because if you do, you'll die.”

That got her attention, “You got two minutes.”

“Okay,” said the voice, “When I found you, you were already dying. You wouldn't have lasted a half hour with your injuries. Even if you got to a hospital at that very moment, all they would have been able to do is ease the pain and let you die.”

Snow's breath caught. Was she really that bad? But if she was... “Then why are you able to help me? Are some kind of mega-medic?”

“You... can say that,” the voice sounded reluctant. “My kind have very special restorative powers that can be used like healing magic, although that's not what they're for.”

“Your kind? You aren't a pony?” Snow was more curious than wary now.

“Not exactly...” he trailed off, unsure of something. “If I show myself, do you promise not to react... bad?”

Snow contemplated the question before answering, “I won't judge you for how you look. How's that?”

There was a silence that preceded a reply, “Okay. Just know that I'm not like the others. I like helping ponies. Alright, here it goes.”

Snow watched as a dark rift opened on the dream-beach and a pony stepped out... or was it? It had the basic form of a pony, but it wasn't like a pony Snow had ever met before. He looked too thin, his coat was solid black, and his indigo mane was like... fire... if it were made of water. His eyes were what drew Snow's attention. They were slitted, draconic eyes.

“What are you?” came the inevitable question.

“I... I'm a... a nightmare,” he cringed, his mane fading to a fearful yellow.

Snow stared in shock, and more than a little anger.

“Alright, nightmare, start talking.”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

The atmosphere on the train was subdued. No one was in high spirits, not even the foals.

“They're okay, mom,” Midnight assured Jynx, “Razor and Snow are strong, like dad. They’ll be fine, and they'll make sure the others are too.”

“Not to mention mah niece, Pinkie's filly, and Rainbow's colt,” Applebloom added, “They're all stronger than a pissed off mamma bear together. We'll find'em lickity split, so don't you worry, momma.”

“I can't help it, it's what mothers do,” Jynx tried to smile, “I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, Bloom.”

“Ah do,” sighed the alchemist. “Ya want somethin' to help you relax? Ah got some leiki bark...”

“No thank you, I'm fine. I just want to get to Canterlot to see how your father is doing. You know how fragile he is emotionally, and I'm worried he'll do something he's going to regret.”

“Well, what about you?” Midnight asked, concern in his voice.

“I'll be fine, Mid.”

Just as she said that, a loud crack, like thunder, rumbled from above. Midnight looked out the window just in time to see a multitude of rocks tumbling down the mountain.

“Mom! Bloom!” Shouted the druid, too late. The boulders slammed into the train, sending it tumbling down the mountain in a twisted wreck.

Author's Note:

The nightmare is based off this concept;
http://iceofwaterflock.deviantart.com/art/Spectral-Ref-Sheet-374498605