• Published 5th Dec 2013
  • 32,354 Views, 2,612 Comments

My Overbearing Aunt - Sketchy Changeling



It's tough being an art school student AND having to live with Princess Celestia. This is my story.

  • ...
133
 2,612
 32,354

Chapters Next
Prologue: Did You Hear That?

“Be careful, Maria!” said my dad as he rushed to my mom’s side.

“Relax, Hector,” said Mom. “I’m just getting out of my chair. I may be pregnant, but I’m not handicapped. You don’t have to worry about me.”

“I’m worried about the baby,” Dad corrected, unintentionally sounding cold.

“So you’re worried about your child, but not about the woman carrying him?” Mom asked with a raised eyebrow.

“You know I didn’t mean it like that,” said Dad.

In case you haven’t caught on yet, the baby that they were referring to was me. I was still in my mom’s womb at this point, and this was the day that their lives took a turn for the strange.

It started with a loud noise on the roof, followed by a tumbling sound, and finally a thud that came from just outside the window.

“What was that!?” Dad said in a panic.

“Quit being a bitch, Hector,” Mom said with her usual playful (albeit abrasive) attitude. “Let’s go see what it was.”

“No way, Maria!” Dad objected. “You can’t go!”

“You know what? How about we just go together?” Mom suggested. “Will that ease your nerves, Hector?”

My dad grunted and said “Fine, but stay behind me.”

My mother rolled her eyes and followed Dad to the door. “I can’t wait to get this baby out of me so you can stop doting on me,” she muttered.

When my parents got to the door, Dad slowly opened it and looked out to where the thudding noise came from. He saw what looked like a body lying on the ground. Mom looked out to see it herself, and then she looked up at the roof. “Whoever this is, they must’ve landed on the roof, then tumbled down to the ground.”

“You think we should call someone?” Dad asked.

Just then, the body on the ground started to groan in pain; its voice sounded female. She struggled to get up, but eventually stood up. Mom and Dad stared at this figure, which was still obscured by darkness. She had the form of a human, but there seemed to be something protruding from her forehead. If they didn’t know any better, Mom and Dad would’ve thought that it was a horn.

“Um… miss?” Dad asked. “Are you okay?”

The mysterious woman stretched her arms out and groaned again, and then she did something that shocked Mom and almost gave Dad a heart attack. As she stretched her arms, two large wings stretched out from behind her back.

“Oh, I’m just fine, sir. You need not worry about me,” the figure said. “I’ve been through worse.”

When she said that, the mysterious woman used the protrusion from her head as a light, and her appearance was revealed to my parents.

This woman, if you could call her that, was nothing like my parents had ever seen. She looked like a cross between an equine and a human. The protrusion from her head was indeed a horn, and those were indeed wings sprouting from her back. She had a horse-like face, only with much softer features than that of any actual horse. She had large, magenta-colored eyes and her body was coated with white fur that had a pinkish tint to it. She was wearing a white dress that went down to her feet- wait, those were hooves!

To top it off, this horse woman had a long flowing mane and tail that had multiple colors and flowed in an endless, nonexistent breeze, with a gold crown adorning her head.

For some odd reason, the horse woman had a look of shock on her face from the sight of my parents.

“Oh, my,” she said. “Looks like my spell did work after all.” Suddenly, she felt a sharp pain in her leg and fell to one knee. She looked down at her leg and saw that the tumble she had resulted in a bloody cut that ran down part of her leg.

“Oh my God,” my mother said worriedly. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” the horse woman said, dismissively waving her hand. “Don’t worry about me.”

“Don’t give me that,” said Mom. “Do you see your leg right now? Come inside and I’ll patch you up.”

“Honey, we don’t know who or what this woman is, and you’re inviting her into our house!?” Dad said exasperatedly.

“He’s right, Miss,” said the horse woman. “I wouldn’t want to impose.”

“Maria. Maria Cortez,” my mother corrected, “and it’s no imposition. My husband’s just being paranoid. Hector, help her into the house while I get something for that leg.”

“Yes, dear,” Dad said with a sigh, knowing that he couldn’t change Mom’s mind. My mother was a registered nurse, so it was her instinct to help people (or in this case, horse people) that were hurt.

After Dad helped the woman inside and Mom got a first aid kit, Mom patched up the woman’s wound.

“There we go,” said Mom. “How’s that feel?”

“Much better, thank you,” said the horse woman.

“No problem-NGH!” Mom said as she suddenly winced in pain.

“Goodness me! Are you alright?” the woman asked.

“Don’t start my husband up again,” Mom chuckled. “I’m fine; just felt a little kick, is all.”

I don’t remember why I kicked her, but I’m sure it was for a good reason.

“Oh, I just love kids!” the horse woman giddily said at her realization of my mother’s condition. “How far along are you?”

“Eight months,” said Mom. “Pretty soon, I’ll be able to go outside without Hector here fearing for my life.”

“So… Miss…” my Dad said, clearing his throat. “Could you tell us who you are?”

“Of course,” she said. “My name is Celestia, and I am a pony.”

“You sure don’t look like any pony we’ve ever seen,” said Mom.

“Well, you see, that’s because I come from a different world…” said Celestia.

Celestia explained to my parents that in her world, the civilization consisted of ponies like her, along with other kinds of magical creatures, but in her country, it was mostly ponies. She went on to say that she was a princess where she came from, and that she was developing a spell that could take her to different worlds and establish relations with other life forms.

“Needless to say, I could’ve put more thought into what I’d do once I got here,” she said. “Normally, I’m not this absent-minded, but I was just so eager to try the spell once I had completed it, you know?”

“Not really…” said Dad.

“In this world, magic is something that only exists in fantasy,” Mom explained.

“I see,” Celestia said as she looked around the room, particularly at items like the television and other electronic appliances. “Meanwhile, your species seems to be very technologically advanced,” she observed. “Our two societies have a lot to offer each other.”

“You think so?” asked Dad.

“Most definitely,” said Celestia. “It may take many months, but I think that we’ll be able to establish some kind of partnership between my world and yours.”

“Well, Hector happens to work for the mayor here,” said my mom. “We could start with him, and then work our way up to the President, and eventually to all the world leaders.”

“I thank you for your generosity,” said Celestia.

“It’s no trouble,” my mom said with the wave of a hand.

“No trouble?” Dad asked incredulously. “No one will believe this, Maria!”

“Like Celestia said, honey,” Mom retorted, “It’s going to take some time.”

And take some time it did. After reluctantly agreeing to help Celestia make contact with the world’s leaders, he and my mother let her stay the night while her leg healed. Over the course of the next year, not only was I born, but Celestia’s world had officially allied itself with ours. All the while, Celestia visited my parents as often as she could. They were her first friends in this world, and friendship was something that she held dear to her heart. She especially enjoyed seeing me, since she had a soft spot for babies, no matter what species they were. Sometimes, when she came over to visit, the first thing she did was ask where I was.

So, by the time I was old enough to go to school, pony families were living in the human world and vise-versa, so I had some very diverse classmates. Meanwhile, in the adult society, humans were benefiting from the uses of pony magic, and ponies were benefiting from the conveniences of human technology, but from what I had learned over the years, the pony world still didn’t forget its roots.


SIXTEEN YEARS LATER


“Welcome home, Marcus,” my mother said as I arrived home from school.

“Hi, Mom,” I said as I went up to my room, kicked my shoes off, and threw my backpack on the floor. I turned and looked at my work desk and I saw that my sketchbook was running out of pages.

“Damn, I’m running low already?” I asked myself. “I’ll have to buy a new book this weekend. Drawing comics is hell on my wallet.”

When I went back downstairs to get some snacks, my mom stopped me.

“How was school?” she asked.

“Same old, same old,” I answered, but then I remembered something. “Oh, a representative from an art school in Canterlot came to my class and gave a presentation. I think the name was… ‘Canterlot University for the Arts’. It’s a good thing they call it CUFTA for short because that’s a mouthful.”

“It sure is. So, what did you think of it?” asked Mom. “You’re near the end of eleventh grade, now, and you need to start picking colleges to apply to.”

“I know, I know,” I said. “I really liked it. They showed us pictures of the campus and everything. It’s like going to school in a museum. I’m definitely adding it to my list, Mom.”

“Good to see that you’re on top of things,” she said. “And I’m sure your Auntie Celeste will be excited if you end up going.”

I chuckled at the name that Celestia insisted I call her. “Yeah, I’m sure she will,” I said.


ONE YEAR LATER


It was my seventeenth birthday, and my graduation date was a month away. A few months earlier, I had gotten a letter from CUFTA saying that I was accepted, but when my parents saw how much the tuition cost, on top of the cost of books, housing, AND getting me to Canterlot, the told me that it wasn’t in the cards. You can imagine how frustrated I was. Since I had found out about the school, I looked more and more into it, and I made it my top choice. My parents tried to console me be reminding me that I had gotten accepted to all the other art schools that I applied to, and I eventually started to get over my disappointment.

My parents and Celestia just got through singing “Happy Birthday” to me, and my Mom told me to make a wish.

“Really, Mom?” I said. “I’m seventeen years old now.”

“You’re never too old to make a wish, sweetheart,” Auntie Celeste chimed in.

“You hear that?” said Mom. “Now make a wish.”

I rolled my eyes and humored my mother. “I wish I could go to CUFTA,” I thought as I blew out the candles.

“Oh, I wish Luna was here for this,” said Celestia.

“She’s filling in for you while you’re here, isn’t she?” Dad asked.

“Yes,” she answered. “While my former student, Twilight, is now a princess, she’s still new, so I don’t want to overwhelm her. Luna sends her best wishes, though. With that aside, I’d like to give Marcus my present.”

“Please tell me it’s a car,” I said. I felt a sense of entitlement since I didn’t get a car last year.

“Well, it’s not a car, but I know that you’ll like this gift anyway,” Auntie Celeste insisted. “I know that you wanted to go to Canterlot University for the Arts, but you didn’t have the money, so I pulled some strings, and-”

“You didn’t!” I said hopefully.

“I did!” she said with cheer. “I got you a full ride to CUFTA!”

I instantly jumped out of my seat in excitement.

“YES!” I yelled. “Thank you, thank you, thank you!” I ran up to Celestia and gave her a big hug. She smiled and hugged me back.

“You’re welcome, Marcus,” she said. “Unfortunately, there is one catch.”

“What’s that?” Mom asked.

“While I was able to get the school to give Marcus a full ride, they still want payment for housing should he choose to live on campus,” Celestia explained.

“We can’t afford that, though,” Dad said. “The housing fee alone is too expensive for us right now.”

“And we don’t have any family members in Canterlot,” Mom added. “On top of that, Marcus isn’t old enough to live on his own yet, so he can’t get an apartment off-campus.”

“I had anticipated this…” Celestia said somberly, “so I thought of a possible solution. Now, this may seem crazy, but bear with me here.”

My parents and I looked at her in anticipation and slight worry. How crazy was this solution of hers going to be?

“What if…” she said, “…I adopted Marcus as my nephew?”

“WHAT!?” my parents said in shock, while I simply stayed silent. I was shocked, too, mind you, but it was the kind of shock that rendered me speechless.

“Like I said, it’s a crazy idea, and you don’t have to if you don’t want to,” Celestia explained.

My parents looked at each other worriedly. I didn’t blame them, either. Any caring parent would be worried about letting someone else take care of their child, even if it was a very close friend of theirs.

“What do you think, Maria?” Dad asked Mom.

“I don’t know,” she answered hesitantly. “I really don’t want Marcus to miss out on this opportunity, and I’m sure that Celestia will take good care of him, but… I just don’t want to let go of my son yet.”

My mom took a moment to shed a tear, something she’d rarely ever done, and said “What do you think, Hector?”

“Well, while I do agree with you…” Dad said before pausing for a moment. “I think that we should let Marcus make this decision. If he wants to go, I say we let him go.”

My eyes widened when I heard this. My dad was allowing me to make such a huge decision on my own. It was then that I realized how much he and Mom trusted me, and how far they were willing to go to help make my dreams a reality.

Still, though, I had to weigh my options. If I stayed home and went to college in this world, I would still be able to see my parents much more easily than if I went to Canterlot, but then I’d miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime. I mean, how many students get full rides to colleges like CUFTA? Then I realized that even if I went to college in the human world, I’d still be separated from my parents to some degree, so would there really be that much of a difference? Not only that but Auntie Celeste bent over backwards to get me into CUFTA, and it was an offer I couldn’t refuse.

With that in mind, I made my decision.

“I’ll go,” I said.

My parents wore expressions of joy mixed with sadness, but mostly joy. Celestia let me have a moment with them.

“I promise that I’ll make the best of the last few months we have together,” I said.

In between graduation and getting the adoption papers together, that’s exactly what I did. I spent as much of my free time as I could with my folks, up until the day I had to leave for Canterlot.

It was a month before my first day of school, and all the papers had been finalized. Celestia came to my house to get me, and we were about to leave.

“Call us every night, you hear?” said Mom.

“I will,” I said.

“Don’t party too hard,” said Dad.

“I won’t,” I said.

“And don’t give your new auntie a hard time,” said Mom.

I laughed and said “I’ll try.”

Celestia laughed as well. “Don’t worry. He won’t break me that easily,” she boasted.

I walked over to Celestia and told her that I was ready to go, and with that, she cast her transportation spell to take us to Canterlot.

Who knew that birthday wishes actually came true?

Author's Note:

And so another story begins! Let me know what you thought of this. Was the first-person narrative done well? Do you look forward to seeing Marcus adjust to his new life? Let me know in the comments!

Chapters Next