• Published 20th Dec 2013
  • 349 Views, 0 Comments

The Shattered Mirror - Mirror Shard



Mirror Shard, an adolescent pony, has strange nightmares about a sinister mirror.

  • ...
 0
 349

Invasion of the Mind

"No!" I exclaimed, bursting out of the bondage of sleep. "The mirror!" I said as I came back to my senses, "It's the same thing every night!" I despised the thought of sleep believing to just fall back into the grasp of what I thought to be my own imagination, but eventually I couldn't fight it anymore and surrendered to the shackles of sleep. The nightmares torment me in my every slumber!

The next morning I woke with an insomniac's fatigue, but too afraid to take a few more minutes in bed as I might fall back in to the bindings of the same night terror. I stood up and stretched and cherished the morning for it was a blessing of freedom from the thoughts that haunt my mind. I have completed my usual routine of the morning and I walked outside after assuring my parents of my safety and took a stroll through the street. "What a beautiful morning!", I said to an elderly stallion. He smiled, nodded and then continued what he was doing. I felt good through the rest of the day helping others. I dreaded as night fell on that glorious day. Could I even sleep in the mental state I'm currently at? Paranoid of what sick being is behind that mirror I see every night.

I was laying in bed for an extensive amount of time afraid to move. I decided to move my sleeping position until I realized I couldn't move! My whole body seemed to have fallen into some sort of paralysis! I literally could hear footsteps outside my room. There was someone or something out there. It seemed as though whatever was walking toward my room was dragging something across the ground. I panicked. I couldn't move any voluntary muscle but my eyes. What was I to do? Once those footsteps finally ceased, I could faintly see the doorknob turn and jerk around as if it was trying to get through. Luckily before I went to bed I locked the door and latched my window and closed the blinds with minimal moonlight poking through the sheets of fabric. I hoped and prayed that it would eventually leave me alone, but whoever was out there banged into the door. My heart jumped. I knew whatever was there meant harm. There was nothing I could do but give in to my fate. I blacked out from the excessive fear.

My senses came back and I felt a hard, smooth surface below me. I slowly opened my eyelids to find myself oblivious to where I was. I wasn't anywhere at home or anywhere I've ever been! The strange place was engulfed in darkness except for a dim, flickering light at the end of some sort of corridor. I stumbled to my hooves and proceeded cautiously into the strange hallway. As I traveled through the corridor as stealthy as I possibly could I reached the end and found the source of light. What is this? A lantern was hung up on a nail. "I guess I could use this to light my way." I stated to myself, but then I remembered. "Inferior! I'm a unicorn. I could just use a light spell to light the path without using this old thing." I attempted to summon a light orb to follow me. I succeeded, but this darkness was not your average lack of light. The orb's light barely reached my eyes so I knew none of my light spells would work so I took the rusty old lantern that seemed to have pierced through this thick sheet of blackness and proceeded through the unknown. This lantern wouldn't have been your average lantern to be able to pierce the darkness that my own magic couldn't. It feels as though whoever brought me here had planned to leave me to wander this strange place.

As I was creeping down the never-ending corridor I heard a strange faint noise. It sounded of somepony clopping down the corridor from where I just traversed through. I could hear my heart pounding through my ears as the faint noise became more audible. I hastened my step before I heard a demonic growling coming from the same source. As soon as I heard the creature I tore through the cursed hallway until I found a fork in the road. Left, right, or straight ahead were the choices. I didn't have time. I had to lose this dreaded creature! I took the left.

I reached a dusty pedestal with a triangular mirror placed inside and a saddlebag right next to the ancient pedestal. I equipped the saddle bag and lifted the small mirror out of the pedestal. as I did so I heard a voice from an unknown location exclaiming, "I see you found the first artifact!" I was then confused as he said, "It's such a shame my friend didn't get to meet you. I can see he gave you quite a scare." He chuckled. I knew what he meant by what he said as soon as I heard those same clopping noises coming in my direction. "What is it?" I asked, "Please tell me what it is!" There was no answer from the unknown voice as the clopping sound got closer and closer. A tear ran down my cheek as the stench of rot plagued my nostrils, my heart pounded through my chest until I blacked out again.

I woke up in the morning not knowing what happened. I passed the whole thing off as a nightmare until I noticed the door was open. I rose from my bed and tripped over something. A saddlebag? I don't remember having a saddlebag like this. I unlatched the bag to reveal the contents inside and I froze in shock. It was a triangular shaped mirror.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment