• Published 12th Dec 2013
  • 13,564 Views, 1,536 Comments

A New Way - Phoenix_Dragon



A small but growing number of changelings now live openly among ponies. Many ponies are welcoming. Others are concerned. And nobody, from the new Equestrian changelings to the Princesses themselves, knows how Queen Chrysalis is going to respond...

  • ...
29
 1,536
 13,564

Chapter 2: Queen's Gambit

Chapter 2: Queen's Gambit

In the abrupt lull that followed the changelings’ sudden appearance, Celestia simply looked at the smugly smiling mare for several seconds. Then she turned back to the displaced and cringing petitioner. “In any case, I apologize for the interruption, and I assure you, I will see what funds can be allocated to your cause.”

She gave the scared and confused stallion a nod and a smile before looking back to the blank-flanked mare, whose expression of surprise was rapidly changing to one of indignant rage. The mare was just starting to open her mouth when Celestia spoke again, as calm as ever. “I hadn’t expected you to show up so soon, or I would have been more ready to welcome you. Chrysalis, I presume?”

“I have something to say, first,” the mare replied, her eyes narrowed. “If you intend some manner of trap or trickery, we are already prepared to take retribution for any action you take. Whatever meager victory you could accomplish by such an act will be insignificant compared to the damage a few hundred well-placed changelings can cause.”

Celestia raised an eyebrow. The surprised pause was so short that Nictis wasn’t sure anyone else had even noticed it before she replied. “There is no trap. We simply wish to talk with you in the hope that a more peaceful arrangement can be made between us.”

A moment of silence passed, a smile slowly growing on the mare’s face. Then she laughed, quiet at first, but soon throwing her head back as the laughter grew, and a ripple of green flame formed around her hooves to sweep up over her form. It was not the nearly-instant flash of a changeling’s normal transformation, but a slow, rippling wave that stripped away the false white form to reveal the black, chitinous, hole-riddled form beneath.

The laugh was cut off as Chrysalis fixed her glare again upon Celestia, a grin on her face, voice laden with smugness. “Peaceful arrangements. Funny how it’s always the prey who desire peace.”

The changelings seated near the thrones looked on in horror at the imposing sight of their former queen. Her glossy-black form towered over ponies and changelings alike, matched only by Celestia herself. For most of the Ponyville changelings, she was the ruler that they had, whatever their intentions, betrayed. For Sky, she was something new, yet familiarly terrifying; visions of a forgotten past, a creature straight from his nightmares, and yet strangely fascinating. He just sat there, staring back wide-eyed.

Celestia was far less fazed by the sudden but expected appearance. “I am speaking of moving beyond that,” she said, her tone faintly disapproving. “Of finding a way that is better for both our people.”

“Ah, such naive idealism,” Chrysalis said with a amused roll of her eyes. “And I suppose you have a good reason as to why I should care at all about your ponies? Because as far as I can see, the only thing ponies are good for is food.”

Celestia’s eyes narrowed slightly, but her voice remained calm. “I have many, reasons which benefit changelings every bit as much as they do ponies, if not more... if you’re willing to listen.”

Chrysalis chuckled quietly before looking down to one of her guards. With a short jerk of her muzzle, the guards all relaxed their stances, spears turning upright. A moment later, following an order from their commanders, the Royal Guard stood down as well, though both sides still eyed the other warily.

The lead pair of changeling soldiers stepped aside as Chrysalis walked forward, approaching the base of the steps to where Celestia and Luna stood. “Of course, princess,” she said, putting extra emphasis on the last word. “That’s why I’m here. After all, you’ve been sowing such fanciful stories. Stories that have ensnared some of the... weaker-minded drones.” She cast a meaningful glare toward the small gathering of Equestrian changelings, who all cringed slightly under the attention of their disapproving former queen. They could feel the scorn she held for them. Cara chirped fearfully, and Fluttershy shifted to shield him until Chrysalis looked away again. “But then my Infiltrators bring back word that you’ve been publicly speaking of a desire to talk with me, to open diplomatic relations, knowing that they would bring your words back to me. And I have to admit, I found the idea so hilariously idiotic that I just had to come and see it for myself. At the very least, it should be an entertaining waste of time.”

Luna cut in, her disapproval quite clear. “If you think this is such a waste of time, then why, pray tell, did you bother coming at all?”

“I have my reasons,” Chrysalis replied smugly. “So go on. Talk.”

“Very well,” Celestia said, her tone carefully neutral. “In short, we desire peace.”

“Ridiculous,” Chrysalis snorted, laughing softly, but it lasted only a moment before she grew serious. “And what if I refuse? Will you threaten us, then? Will you try to take me prisoner? We are not so weak as you seem to think.”

Celestia shook her head. “If you have come as a diplomat, we shall respect that. You will be free to leave at any time you choose, and we will not detain you. Although, I do hope we can come to some sort of arrangement.”

“Of course you do,” Chrysalis said. “But I see no reason to agree to anything you might desire. There is nothing you can offer my hive that we could not simply take for ourselves.”

“We can offer peace and friendship, if you--”

She was cut off by Chrysalis’s loud laughter. “Friendship!” She cried out, mockingly. “You ponies are so ridiculously sentimental. Besides, I can assure you, if I wanted the love of a pony...” She grinned, lighting her horn in a brilliant green. “...I am perfectly capable of taking it myself.”

“No, you are not,” Celestia replied, as the green glow faded. “You can feed on it, but that is a far different thing than having friendship. If you doubt its worth, you can ask any of the changelings who now live here in Equestria, in far better conditions than they did in your hive.”

“Oh, yes,” Chrysalis said with another roll of her eyes, and then gestured toward the changelings in question. “How about the two ringleaders of that group? I’d love to hear about how worthwhile a pony’s friendship is from someling who was abandoned by the object of their misplaced desires the moment they found out they weren’t a pony.”

Sky and Nictis both went rigid, ears pinned back.

“Even the best of friendships can have difficulties at times, but--”

“You’re really not selling me on this,” Chrysalis dryly interrupted.

But,” Celestia said firmly before continuing in a calmer voice, “I am certain every one of them would agree that it is worth it in the end, and even when friendships run into tough times, they have a way of working out eventually.”

“Oh, of course,” the queen scoffed. “That, or they find your extravagant pony luxuries make it worth the cost. I doubt someling who would betray their queen and every changeling in the hive would put a very high value on loyalty.”

“Why don’t you ask them?” Celestia said with a gesture of her hoof. “They are quite capable of speaking for themselves.”

Chrysalis smirked as she eyed the small gathering of changelings beside the throne. “Oh, I’m sure they are, and you have so many of them here to speak for you. I had expected to see Nictis here, but I’m a bit surprised to see so many of my wayward subjects also in attendance. Is there some special occasion?”

“I simply thought that you might prefer to hear of the advantages of coexistence from changelings who had actually experienced it,” Celestia replied, a hint of a smile beginning to show. “So I invited them to join us.”

It was Chrysalis’s turn to frown, her head drawing back slightly. “I see.” She looked over the changelings in question, who all cringed again, if slightly less so than before. A moment later she looked back to Celestia. “And perhaps I will speak with them, but that can come later. For now, go on. I believe you were trying to come up with some meaningful reason why I should listen to anything you have to say?”

“If friendship and coexistence are too sentimental for your tastes, how about something more practical?” Celestia took a single step forward. “Your subjects suffer needlessly by the current state of affairs. They live in harsh conditions, working long and tedious hours simply to maintain the status quo. Food is scarce and strictly rationed. Your culture is nonexistent. Your subjects have no future, only a dreary repetition of their past. What we offer will improve life for all your subjects.”

“Improve?” Chrysalis scoffed. “Our way of life may look harsh to you pampered little ponies, but it is what has made us as strong as we are while your own ponies have grown soft and complacent.”

“And yet, look at where that has gotten you,” Celestia said, taking another single step forward to stand at the very edge of the steps before her throne. She stared down at Chrysalis, wings raised. “Your people number only a few thousand, hiding in a remote wasteland, fearful of discovery, while Equestria has grown to become a great and powerful nation. My ponies have survived in a dangerous world, and they have done it not by hiding from that danger, but by helping each other and confronting it head-on. They have weathered countless disasters that could have brought the end for them all, but they have met every challenge and persevered. Even your own invasion, leading the entirety of your hive in all its strength, still failed to defeat them. Ponies are stronger than you think. If you truly wish to see your subjects grow strong, you could learn much from them.”

Chrysalis bared her teeth, eyes narrowing. “I did not come here to listen to you insult me and my subjects, princess.”

The reply brought a short snort from Luna, as well as the strangled sound of a barely-restrained retort from Twilight, but Celestia merely shook her head. “I mean no insult or disrespect, nor to imply that your subjects are weak. Indeed, the few changelings I have gotten to know over these past months have impressed me in many ways. But you mistake my point. Much like how a few ponies can be made stronger by working together in friendship, we can make the world a better place for both our subjects, changeling and pony alike.”

Chrysalis rolled her eyes again as she turned to walk away. “So noble and altruistic of you, I’m sure. But I tire of your speeches, princess. I have traveled much too far today to endure so many hollow words.” She stopped before her soldiers, casting a cold grin back over her shoulder. “Now then, are you going to be a good host and offer me and my subjects quarters, or shall I go out and make my own arrangements here in your fine little city?”

Celestia leveled a flat look at Chrysalis, but only for a moment. “That will not be necessary. You are here as our guest, and our staff shall have quarters prepared for you when you need them. In the meantime--”

“Good,” Chrysalis cut in. Another quick jerk of her muzzle brought her soldiers back to attention, forming two lines behind her as she turned to again face Celestia. “I know they’re used to serving princesses, but I trust they’ll be able to find something befitting a queen. Oh! Are Princess what’s-her-mane’s quarters available? I did enjoy them so much in my last stay here. Those should be quite suitable.”

“I’m afraid those chambers are being held for when Princess Mi Amore Cadenza and Prince Shining Armor arrive tomorrow,” Celestia said in a carefully measured tone.

“Oh, good,” Chrysalis said, eyes narrowing slightly, her grin growing a touch sharper. “I look forward to congratulating the happy couple.” The expression mellowed quickly to one of simple smug amusement. “Now then, show me these quarters you have for me. I need to rest from my travels and contemplate our... negotiations.”

Silence held for several seconds as Celestia simply stared at her, a slight hardness to her eyes. Eventually she turned to the side, looking to the nearby pegasus guard. “Sergeant, would you kindly escort our guest to her room? I believe the servants should be done making preparations by now.”

The guard in question bowed to her. “Your Highness.” Rising again, he gathered several other guards, and together they led Chrysalis and her soldiers to one of rear doors of the throne room. The queen strutted along proudly, casting one last smug grin toward Celestia before she left the room.

The moment the last of the foreign changelings disappeared from sight, Celestia relaxed, drawing in a deep breath and sighing. Twilight was hurrying up with a grim expression, but Celestia forestalled any conversation with a quick shake of her head.

With the changeling queen gone, the crowd had begun to murmur amongst itself, as if some oppressive, silencing weight had finally been lifted. Celestia looked out over the gathered ponies for a moment before raising her wings again and calling out.

“I am sorry, but I am afraid we must conclude court for the day. If any of you have any pressing needs, please speak with Miss Primrose--” Celestia gestured to a nearby mare. “--or any of her staff, and she shall do her best to help. For now, we must excuse ourselves. It seems we have a guest to deal with.”

As the gathered crowd slowly broke up and made its way to the exit, Celestia and Luna turned and made their way to one of the rear doors of the throne room. Twilight paused to look back at Sky. “You should probably all come, too. I guess now we know why Celestia asked for you.”

“Y-yeah,” Sky said numbly, shaking himself from his stunned silence. When he finally glanced back he was met with the faces of four very shaken changelings. He took a deep, calming breath and rose to his hooves. “Right. Let’s go to Celestia. It’s time for us to help out.”

Slowly, they all stood, even Cara. Sky gave an encouraging smile, and a few moments later they followed in a ragged group with Sky in the lead.

Nictis stepped up beside Sky, still looking stunned at the unexpected encounter. “I never thought I’d see the queen again,” he said, voice barely above a whisper. “Used to be, I would have given anything to do so, but now...” He shook his head. “Nothing good can come of this.”

“Don’t give up on it,” Sky replied quietly, attempting to give off as much confidence as he could, though his unease was crystal-clear to the other changeling. “This might all work out.”

Nictis just snorted, but did not contradict him.

Together, the small group followed Twilight from the slowly emptying throne room and into one of the grand hallways beyond, where the Princesses Celestia and Luna had paused.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen you so upset with someone since Discord’s return,” Luna was gently teasing. “Frowning and raising your voice in court, my goodness.”

Her remark brought a soft snort and wry smile from Celestia, though it vanished again when she looked back to see that they had been joined again. “Ah, good. Come.”

Most of the group fell in behind the two sisters as they walked on. All except Twilight, who hurried up to Celestia’s side. “Do we have teleportation... er, portal security in place?”

“Ah, yes,” Celestia replied with a grim nod. “Golden Aegis developed some good alarm spells, with Sky’s help, and the spells should all be active by now. If they attempt to use a fire portal to cause any mischief, the guards on watch will be alerted immediately.”

“Mimicry?”

“Guards will be keeping logs of all of changelings coming and going from Chrysalis’s chambers and keep them under surveillance, and all guards and staff will be checked with disenchantment spells at the beginning and end of their shifts, as well as when passing through key points of the castle.”

Twilight hesitated a moment, a conflicted look crossing her face before asking, “And if they turn aggressive? Or if this is a prelude to another invasion?”

“The Guard has been called to full alert,” Celestia said. “The reserves should be fully active by the end of the day, and patrols have been doubled.”

“Okay,” Twilight said, nodding. “Okay, good.”

Celestia smiled softly to her, though it soon faded. Silence returned for a full minute before she spoke again. “She frustrates me,” she said quietly, shaking her head. “She answers our call to talks, to try to work out an amicable arrangement between our nations, but then she spends a few minutes insulting the very notion of such a thing before calling for an early break. She shows up with a complete lack of subtlety, but then acts as if she has no intent of dealing with us in good faith. She is up to something.”

“She’s playing us,” Nictis grumbled. A moment later he halted as the sudden silenced registered, and he looked up to see all three princesses staring at him. “I-I mean... well...” He shook his head and took a half step back before quietly repeating, “She‘s playing us.”

“I know it may be a bit much to expect,” Celestia gently said, “But I don’t suppose any of you might have any guesses what she may hope to accomplish?”

The changelings all shook their heads.

Luna turned to look to her sister. “She has displayed a remarkable lack of subtlety so far, as if she wishes us to know she is up to something. I received several messages from the Guard during court. Shortly after Chrysalis entered the city in her farce of a disguise, six pegasi were observed flying into the city over the eastern wall. They were identical to the disguises she and her guards had taken, save for their race. The Guard pursued them, only a few seconds behind, but it was enough time for them to have disappeared into the crowd, presumably under more convincing disguises.” She grimaced slightly. “It is almost as if she wishes for us to know she is plotting against us.”

“Maybe she does,” Sky said, which drew a look of consideration from Celestia.

“I think I may have more work for you than I had initially intended,” she said as they began to walk again. “I would greatly appreciate your help with any negotiations, of course, and I hope that she will listen to all of your tales of life here in Equestria. At the same time, if she has openly brought six changelings to infiltrate Canterlot, and possibly even more through more subtle methods, we need to discover what they are up to, to ensure we are not caught unaware.” She glanced back to Nictis. “While I won’t push you into anything, Nictis, your familiarity with the infiltration tactics of your hive might prove quite valuable in this effort.”

Nictis’s ears pinned back, anxiety rising at the very thought of working against the hive, and he worried at how quickly it passed, or how easy it was to justify: they were almost certainly going to be preying on innocents, and their actions would only serve to make things worse for both sides. “No, of course. I’ll help.”

“Thank you,” Celestia said, offering a surprisingly warm smile. A moment later she turned away from him. “Twilight, please gather the rest of your friends and bring them to the Solstice Hall. It should be the perfect place to carry on any negotiations, and in the meantime, we will need to discuss our own plans.”

“On it!” Twilight said before turning and galloping off, with Spike hurrying after her.

“Luna, could you continue on to the hall with the rest of our friends, to wait for Twilight? I think it’s time to introduce Sky and Nictis to Miss Tea.”

“Of course,” Luna replied, then turned to address the rest of their group. “Come along.”

With that, Celestia turned and resumed her walk with purpose, her long legs carrying her swiftly enough that Sky and Nictis had to trot to keep up, though only just. They followed along silently for a moment before Sky moved up beside her to talk. “So who is this Miss... Tea, as in the letter?”

Celestia chuckled softly. “As in the drink.”

“Right,” Sky said. “So who is she? I don’t remember meeting her.”

“No, you haven’t met, much to her regret, I am sure.” She considered her words a moment before answering, “She is something of a specialist.”

When Sky quirked an eyebrow at the answer, Celestia continued. “She is responsible for security against any espionage on Equestria and its citizens.”

Nictis looked to Celestia with a look of alarm, unseen behind her back, while Sky simply contemplated her answer for a moment. As he was doing so, they approached a pair of guards who stood flanking a set of double doors, and who quickly opened them when Celestia nodded. As they walked through and entered a room lined with desks and working ponies, he looked over to her again. “That makes it sound like we’re walking into a Con Mane novel or something.”

Celestia laughed softly. “Oh, no, though I’m sure Miss Tea would love that. No, we don’t really have any spies or secret agents, as such. Most of Miss Tea’s staff are simply researchers and analysts, focusing on counter-espionage, and passing any information on to the Guard, Luna, or myself.”

“So... no international espionage and assassination?” Sky asked.

“Oh, heavens no,” Celestia said, smiling as she shook her head. “There’s nothing so... Cloak and Dagger about it.”

The mare at the final desk in the row looked up as they approached. “Hey, now,” she said with a sly smile. “Cloak and Dagger were excellent spymasters, and even if they were a bit overzealous at times, they never got that bad.”

Celestia returned the smile. “You know that isn’t your title, Miss Tea. You have to actually have spies to be a spymaster.”

“Posh,” the mare said with a wave of her hoof. “Sometimes a bit of misdirection can do wonders.”

Nictis couldn’t help nodding slightly to himself.

With that, the mare hopped off her chair and trotted up to Sky. She was a fairly young earth pony, looking almost too ordinary to be a spymaster--or whatever her actual title was. She had a straw-yellow coat with a neatly-trimmed purple mane and tail. Her cutie mark did not at all suggest her profession, being a simple steaming cup of tea on a saucer. Sky only had a moment to take in her appearance before she had grasped one of his forehooves with both of her own and eagerly shook it. “Counselor Sky, I can’t tell you how happy I am to finally get to meet you!”

Sky blinked in surprise at the enthusiastic mare. “Oh, um, thank you, Miss Tea.”

“Oh, please, no need for last names. Call me Subtle.” She jerked her head toward Celestia. “I’ve been pestering the princess for months to get to meet you. Figures it’d take the impending fall of the kingdom to bring us together.”

He drew his head back, alarmed. “It’s not that bad, is it?”

“Nah, not with us on the job,” she replied with a shrug. Releasing his hoof, she turned to Nictis and took his hoof, though with less excessive enthusiasm. “And you must be Nictis. I hope we can get some time to chat. I have to admit, I’m something of a fan.”

Nictis drew his head back, just as Sky had done. “A fan?”

“Of course!” She said happily. “You managed to keep your identity safe and hidden despite being cut off from your home and trapped in supposedly enemy territory for almost a decade. A true changeling Infiltrator. I’d love to talk shop some time. And hey, if you or any of your changeling friends ever need a job, I’d be quite happy to help out. I can’t tell you just how helpful a couple skilled changelings could be around here!”

“See, this is why I didn’t introduce you sooner,” Celestia said, sounding quite amused at the situation. “You’re rather overzealous yourself.”

Subtle waved a hoof again, which Nictis was thankful to note left his hoof free once again. “There is nothing wrong with enjoying one’s job,” she replied. “And you clearly agree with me about needing a few changelings around here, or you wouldn’t have brought them along to help us with our little problem.”

“Fair enough,” Celestia said with an exaggerated sigh. “Though speaking of said problem...”

Subtle hopped up to sit on the edge of her desk. “We know at least six changelings infiltrated the population of Canterlot just one hour ago, and it’s quite possible that a larger number have used more subtle methods prior to that. I’ve got Holly and Straight Record heading up teams, reviewing local records and such, focusing on the past month. It’s possible that they might find inconsistencies that uncover a few changelings that have been in the city for a while, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up. It won’t tell us what they’re up to, and it won’t help find any of the six we know are out there. What I really need is some more skilled individuals, agents perhaps, who can help out with more direct investigation...”

She finished by turning a broad and innocent smile to Celestia while tapping her forehooves together.

“I know you have quite a few capable ponies already in your employ,” Celestia said. “All the same, I’ve brought Sky and Nictis here in case they might be able to help.”

Subtle actually giggled and clopped her hooves together like a child who was just handed the keys to a candy shop. When she finally noticed Sky’s look of surprise--Nictis having long since adopted the survival tactic of looking neutral in the face of pony strangeness--she turned her grin to him. “What? I enjoy my job.”

“Sorry,” Sky replied, looking abashed. “It’s just that, er, you don’t really seem like what I’d expect of a Spymaster. Or, whatever your actual title is.”

Her grin grew a little more. “I would have thought a changeling would appreciate how looks can be deceiving.”

Nictis turned to give him a very flat look. “Seriously, you are the worst changeling ever.”

Sky huffed at the playful amusement he felt from Nictis and gave him a little shove, while Subtle chuckled some more.

Celestia spoke up. “I assure you, despite her relaxed and often-unorthodox behavior, Miss Tea is quite skilled at what she does. Cloak and Dagger both highly recommended her when they retired, and she has been running this office exceptionally for three years.”

Despite the intent of her statement, Nictis found a slightly different thought coming to the forefront. “Wait. Do you really mean to tell me somepony named their foal Dagger?”

Subtle threw up her hooves. “I know, right! That bugged me for years, but Cloak just stayed silent like he always did, and Dagger told me at least a dozen different versions--”

“Miss Tea,” Celestia patiently interrupted. “I believe we’re drifting off-topic.”

“Right,” Subtle said, sitting a bit straighter. “Well, the best I can do right now is get a better idea of how these changelings might operate. Nictis, do you have any Infiltrator’s insight that might help us?”

Nictis stood silently for several long seconds, face neutral despite the conflicting emotions running through him. It felt wrong to work against the hive, but this was an unusual circumstance. “Without knowing what they are trying to accomplish, I don’t think there’s much we could do. They’re not here for food, so there will be little need to socialize, and that means fewer interactions where they might stand out as unusual. Still... they must be hoping to accomplish something.” He shrugged nervously. “I’m afraid there isn’t much I could offer. The only suggestion I can think of is to look for anything unusual, which I’m sure isn’t much help.”

“But you might have a better idea what kind of unusual we should be looking for,” Subtle said, giving him a small nod and smile. “And I’m sure there are things you might recognize as unusual that ponies might not even be capable of noticing. Changelings can sense emotions, correct?”

“Um... more or less. Emotions directed at us, anyway.”

Subtle smiled. “And I suspect these changelings would have rather different feelings toward ponies than most ponies would?”

“Well, yes, of course,” Nictis said, his expression of neutrality cracking a bit as his ears folded back. “Though if they’re in any way skilled, they’ll know how to mask their emotions from other changelings. I wouldn’t be able to help with that.”

“Only if they know you’re a changeling,” Subtle replied, then gestured to him with a hoof. “Don’t you have some way of hiding that fact?”

Abandoning neutrality, Nictis frowned. “I suppose.”

“Don’t worry,” Subtle said, raising a hoof. “I’m not going to ask you to trick and take advantage of ponies or anything like that. I know how you feel about that sort of thing--”

“You do?” Nictis asked, eyebrow raised.

“Like I said, I’m a bit of a fan. I’ve read up on you. All I’d ask is that you help our investigation by pointing out anyone who is acting like a changeling Infiltrator, and to lend us some of your expertise and knowledge in understanding the situation.”

“I’m not sure how much that will help,” Nictis said. “I don’t understand it at all, myself.”

Subtle giggled softly, an almost childish sound. “Well at least we’re in good company! I don’t imagine we’ll have a good idea what they’re up to until we’ve found one of these changelings. At least then we’ll have some clues that might point in the right direction. I don’t imagine we’d have any luck getting any of them to talk?”

Nictis’s eyes widened at the thought of just how unlikely that would be, or how far such a changeling might go to keep his secrets. “No,” was all he said.

“I had a feeling,” Subtle said. “Anyway, we might not be able to determine what they are doing, but we can at least work out where we’re vulnerable. You know how Infiltrators work. Put yourself in their horseshoes. If you were one of them, and you wanted to act against Equestria, how would you do it? And how would we protect against it?”

“Infiltrate the castle,” Nictis replied immediately, and then frowned. “Which they’ve already done. Chrysalis is already inside with a dozen soldiers. They’re outnumbered, but they could still cause some real damage, something to weaken Equestria in some way. There may even be other changelings already within the castle, before security was increased. They’ll have a hard time moving about, but Infiltrators can be very tricky. They may even be able to slip in despite security. Sneaking in out of sight, or simply taking the form of someone the guards wouldn’t think to check.” He looked back to Celestia. “Are the guards scanning other guards when they arrive?”

“They should be,” Celestia said. “Luna gave them their orders, and I assume she instructed them to do so, given the circumstances. I will check to make sure. At the very least, she insisted that even we be scanned, so I doubt the other guards are exempt.”

“Okay, good.” Nictis stepped forward, crossing his forelegs on the edge of the desk beside Subtle. “They may try to act directly against you and the other princesses. At least that means they will likely be discovered if they do replace one of you. We should also be on the lookout for mental magic. From what I heard of the invasion, Chrysalis used magic to control some ponies. It’s possible she might use that to compromise our security.”

Celestia nodded. “We haven’t encountered those spells again, but hopefully the disenchantment spell the guards are using should work. They’re also keeping their eyes out for unusual behavior, in case it doesn’t.”

“You should probably make sure guards are in sufficient numbers that they can’t easily be taken by surprise,” Nictis said. “Prevention is generally better than reaction.”

Celestia nodded again.

Nictis stared grimly at the desk, deep in thought for several moments before speaking again. “If we’re very lucky, the six the guards saw flying in were just for insurance. Chrysalis seemed a little concerned that we might try something sneaky. They might just be a warning, a display to let us know she can strike back.” He frowned. “But if she was truly worried that you were going to attack her, I don’t know why she would have spent the entire time antagonizing you.”

“They’re a distraction,” Subtle said. “Maybe a threat, too, but definitely a distraction. We need to track them down to make sure they don’t cause any problems, but that’s also going to distract us from whatever else Chrysalis is planning.”

Nictis nodded slowly. “Probably. And they’re almost certainly going to try to cause problems. Even if they’re primarily intended as a distraction, they’ve got every reason to try to accomplish more than that. Flexibility is important. An Infiltrator needs to keep their options open. Having only a single path to success leaves you vulnerable. Having multiple lets you mislead your opponents. If they find one, it just distracts them from the rest.”

“Of course,” Subtle said with a nod. “Just like Dagger. Like I said, she must have told me at least a dozen different stories behind her name, and every one of them was contradictory. I called her on it once, and she just got this smile and insisted that every single one of them was true. It took me a little while to really get that one.”

Nictis blinked at that, giving her an appraising look, and she grinned back. “So anyway, we’ve got ‘infiltrate the castle.’ What other methods might they take?”

“Attack the Royal Guard. Not necessarily overtly, but something to weaken them. Anything from ambushing them in the streets to sabotaging their equipment.” He paused, idly tapping the desk with a hoof. “Or something more subtle, more indirect. Weaken the Guard by eroding public support. Make them look incompetent, perhaps, or untrustworthy.” His expression grew more grim. “Force them to increase security to deal with a perceived threat, to the point that it interferes with normal life. Make them a hindrance to normal ponies, while making them look incapable of actually protecting them. Get the ponies to turn against the Guard, eat away at the Guard’s morale and confidence. A divided population provides a vast array of opportunities for an Infiltrator, and enough pressure, applied subtly and in the right place, could break the whole thing. Turn ponies against each other.”

He glanced up at Subtle. “That’s how I would do it.”

She nodded contemplatively, and Nictis found some comfort in her professionalism; he could sense some unease directed toward himself even from Sky--followed by guilt for feeling that way toward Nictis--but she was calm, almost detached. “That is troublesome, yes. Lax security is a vulnerability, but increasing security could be a vulnerability as well. Princess?”

Celestia nodded as well. “I have always believed that protecting ponies required a light touch. While the Guard will be brought to full readiness, we will make sure that their presence does not become a burden.”

“That will help,” Nictis said, “but it can’t eliminate the threat, only reduce it. Infiltrators could still influence the population by spreading rumor and discontent among the population. Ponies seem easily influenced by the opinion of others. Get enough ponies--or apparent ponies--speaking poorly of the Royal Guard, and the sentiment will spread.”

“That might help us,” Subtle said, a smile returning. “It gives us something to go on, something to help build a profile for potential changeling Infiltrators. Granted, ‘speaks against the guard’ is rather broad, but it will narrow the investigation slightly.”

“No,” Celestia said firmly, giving a shake of her head. “We will not scrutinize ponies simply because they hold an opinion that we do not approve of. Not only should ponies be free to express their opinions without any threat of reprisal, it would play right into the scenario Nictis described. Besides, that sentiment has been growing over the past few months.” She glanced over to Sky. “I am afraid that the upcoming graduation ceremony for the newest Royal Guard recruits has already stirred up some discontent.”

Sky’s ears pinned back as he looked up, worry etched upon his face. “Chirrup?”

Celestia nodded with a sad smile. “Yes. It has been only a year since Chrysalis led her attack on this city. Many ponies have found it hard to trust changelings, and the idea of one serving in the Royal Guard worries them.”

“Bad timing,” Subtle mumbled.

“Only from our side,” Nictis said. “I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that the timing of Chrysalis’s visit was no coincidence.”

“Oh, I’d count on it,” Subtle replied.

“And it presents an uncomfortable challenge,” Celestia said. “We were already anticipating some form of dissent. There were many upset to hear that a changeling had been accepted as a recruit, and some may see this as the last chance to make their voices heard in an attempt to stop it. Nothing too serious has occurred yet, but it has been troubling. Golden Aegis expects that there will be a more sizable number of dissenters at the graduation ceremony, perhaps even a full-fledged protest.”

Subtle hummed softly. “So you’ll have to keep guards low-key at their own ceremony. I might be able to help there, if I can get a few of my ponies among the dissenters. At least then we can get an idea if some... someling? If someling is stirring them up.” She held up a hoof as Celestia turned back to her. “I know, we won’t be scrutinizing ponies because they’re speaking out, but the only way we’re going to find any of these changelings is by looking for unusual behavior. I promise you, we won’t approach anypony unless we have sufficient evidence.”

Celestia frowned at that, but after a few moments she nodded. “Be delicate with this, Miss Tea.”

She just gave a smug smile. “Subtle is literally my name, princess. I can do delicate.”

With a sigh, Nictis let his head droop to rest on his forelegs. “I told Chirrup this would be a mess.”

“Perhaps,” Celestia said as she stepped up to him, a smile growing again. “But I would rather have some short-term turmoil than to allow a longer injustice to exist. If we shy away from dramatic steps, such problems could linger for generations. Ponies are generally nervous of unusual things. The best way to overcome that is to make those things no longer unusual, and that means not singling out changelings for unusual treatment.”

“It’s still a mess,” Nictis grumbled.

Celestia allowed a sigh. “Yes. It is,” she said, “but it will all work out in the end. Just think of your time in Ponyville. Already, ponies and changelings live together in peace and harmony. Canterlot is home to some of the most stubborn and traditionalist of ponies, but acceptance is spreading swiftly, and the rest of Equestria is sure to follow.”

“And we have a place to start,” Subtle pointed out. “I can at least start some degree of investigation. If I can get the help of either of you two, we can get started even sooner. Oh, and maybe Cara. I understand he came along? I’d rather like to ask him some questions about the situation in the hive.”

Nictis could only imagine the awkwardness of trying to get Cara to talk to anyone who used the self-appointed title of Spymaster, no matter how gentle she looked. Judging from Sky’s expression, he likely had the same thought.

“Um, I could ask him,” Sky said. “Why?”

“Because Celestia’s been talking about wanting to open negotiations with the hive for months,” Subtle replied, “and she only shows up now. I’m thinking something at home finally motivated her to come and talk with us, and I’d like to know what.”

“As would I,” Celestia said. “In any case, our talks with Queen Chrysalis will have to come first, but it should hopefully not dominate Sky and Nictis’s time too excessively.” She turned to the pair of changelings. “Would you two be willing to offer your spare time to helping Miss Tea?”

“Of course,” Nictis said, while Sky just silently nodded. They exchanged a nervous glance, but said nothing else.

“Thank you,” Celestia said. “With that, we should be going. I asked my captain to come up with a short list of Guard members to be placed at your disposal, Miss Tea. I’ll see that they’re sent your way as soon as possible to help out.”

“Thank you. I can use every pony I can get my hooves on.” Subtle gave a nod to Sky and Nictis. “And I’d love if we could meet up some time! Maybe get together to chat over lunch?”

Eventually Subtle extracted agreements from them, and Celestia allowed them to escape. She led the way, with them trailing along, silent with their own thoughts. They had passed down three different halls and through a small courtyard before Nictis finally sighed. “Relax, Sky.”

“What?” Sky said. “I am relaxed. Why would you think I need to relax?”

“Because you’re being quiet,” Nictis said. “That, and you always seem to forget that other changelings can sense the same things you can.”

“Sorry,” Sky said, ears pinned back again.

Nictis just sighed deeper. “And you always seem to forget that if I were upset with you, you’d be able to tell. Seriously, you really are kind of bad at being a changeling some times.”

Sky scowled for a moment. “It’s just... all that talk about how to hurt Equestria, turning ponies against each other, all of that. I don’t like hearing ponies talk about stuff like that so calmly, as if they wouldn’t even care if it happened.”

“Liking has nothing to do with it,” Nictis replied. “We were taught all of this, and the best way to prevent any of those things from happening is to approach them in an intelligent, calm manner, not to avoid the subject just because we find it uncomfortable.”

“You were taught,” Sky snapped, “Not me.”

Nictis stopped, surprised at the flaring sense of anger he felt from Sky. “Sky, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. Neither of us like what’s going on, but avoiding the problem won’t help, and neither will denial. Even if you weren’t an Infiltrator, you were still a changeling of the hive. Ponies were nothing but inferior creatures, good only for food. Regardless of what we think now, that’s what we thought then, and you’re going to have to deal with that.”

“Doesn’t mean I have to like it.”

“No,” Nictis agreed, keeping his tone gentle. “But Sky, you will have to deal with it.”

“Sure,” Sky growled as he resumed walking. Celestia had paused a short distance ahead to wait for them to catch up, and they continued on their way, as silent as before.

The Solstice Hall was a large chamber, almost as large as the throne room, but round. A circular table dominated the middle of the room, surrounded by sitting cushions, with two large chairs of familiar colors set side-by-side: one of white accented with gold, the other, slightly smaller, a deep midnight blue trimmed in silver. Tall windows lined one side of the room, letting the evening sun fill the room with its light, and great tapestries ran from the floor up to the high, vaulted ceiling.

At the moment, the table was neglected, the small collection of ponies and changelings sitting on cushions set along one of the walls. Already Sky and Nictis could tell something was wrong. They couldn’t quite hear what Luna was saying to Twilight, or why the nearby aide looked so concerned, but the sight of Twilight Sparkle sitting there with her face planted firmly in hoof was a clear sign of impending trouble.

Luna looked up as Celestia approached. “Ah, sister. I hope your meeting with Miss Tea has met with more success than we have.”

“That depends on how things have gone for you,” she said, looking to Twilight in concern. “I hope nothing too serious has happened?”

Twilight answered by grumbling into her hoof, then gesturing vaguely with the other in the direction of the aide, whose look of concern grew significantly as Celestia turned to him. “Ah, um, she--Queen Chrysalis, I mean--she told us that she is going to rest after her trip, and that any negotiations would have to wait. She even specifically said that she did not want to see either of your Highnesses, but--”

“No, no,” Twilight interrupted with a loud grumble. “Tell her the names.”

The aide’s awkwardness grew as he glanced toward Twilight, then turned back to Celestia. “She said she didn’t want to see… ‘Sun-butt or Loony.’”

Twilight sighed for what was clearly not the first time, and Celestia frowned. Luna, however, looked to be suppressing a smile. When Celestia looked to her with a raised eyebrow, Luna chuckled softly, shaking her head. “It’s just... it’s so childish and petty.”

Celestia considered that for a long moment before looking back to the aide. “Was there anything else?”

The aide shook his head. “She said that she wished to see Nictis, and demanded that we bring him to speak with her immediately.”

Nictis froze, eyes wide. “Me?”

“Yes,” the aide said with a hesitant nod. “She seemed very insistent about it.”

“But... just me? Alone?”

Celestia looked back to him. “You do not need to do so, if you do not wish, and if you’re worried about being alone with her, we can at least make sure any meeting is done under our own terms.”

“Um... yeah, okay.” Nictis swallowed, then nodded. “I’ll meet with her. Just... just give me a minute.”

“Take all the time you need,” Celestia said with a smile.

“So that’s all we have accomplished,” Luna said with a wry smile. “I hope you had more luck?”

“Miss Tea has a few preliminary ideas,” Celestia said. “Sky and Nictis have offered to help in their spare time. With any luck, she might be able to find some clues as to what Chrysalis is up to.”

“Nothing good,” Rainbow Dash grumbled from where she lay, sprawled out on one of the cushions. Several of the other ponies muttered their agreement.

“Quite likely,” Celestia said. “It may simply be that she’s trying to put pressure on us for any negotiations, but it’s concerning. I’m assigning a small contingent of guards to Miss Tea, just in case. Their authority may be able to help her investigation, and while I hope it won’t come to it, they will afford some protection.”

“A good idea,” Luna said with a nod. “I think I shall contribute one of my own personal guard to the cause. Perhaps Dusk Wing. He should be most suited to the task, and it would be good for at least one of her guardians to be acclimated to a more nocturnal schedule.”

As Celestia nodded, Twilight let her hoof drop to the floor and spoke out. “I still don’t like this,” she said, wings shifting in agitation. “She just barges in, insults you for a couple minutes, and then instead of even trying to talk, she shuts herself away in her room.” Twilight gestured wildly with her hooves. “She was even acting like she’s moving in, talking about replacing all the ‘tacky’ decorations and such.”

“Maybe she’s just trying to rile us up,” Sky offered uneasily.

“Well, it’s working!” Twilight replied sharply, not even noticing Spike as he placed a reassuring hand on her side. “She could at least pretend like she’s here to negotiate. But no, she just insults Celestia, refuses to talk, and now she wants to drag Nictis off alone. And why? If she were here to negotiate, you’d think she’d want to talk to Celestia instead, or maybe Sky. What is she up to?”

“I don’t know,” Sky said, drawing back just a tiny bit. “But, well, Nictis has been doing at least as much as I have. He’s a lot better at making new changelings feel comfortable, and helping them out with their new life. Maybe that caught her attention?”

“Maybe,” Twilight grumbled. “But it still seems odd that she’d be focused on him, of all changelings. And it still doesn’t answer what she’s up to. If she’s here to negotiate, why sneak a bunch of Infiltrators into the city? And why make sure that we know she’s doing it? It makes no sense!”

Celestia spoke softly, but there was a hard strength behind her words. “Whether she is here to negotiate or not, she clearly has some mischief planned. I intend to talk with her in good faith, but if she mistakes our desire for peace as weakness, she will discover just how wrong she is.”

Whatever reaction her words might have had was cut off by Nictis’s quiet voice.

“She was expecting me.”

He barely even noticed when everyone turned to look at him, as he continued to stare off into space. “She... she said she had expected to see me.” His eyes widened slightly. “Which means she knew I would be here.” His body grew rigid, jaw tightening. “Which means she knew why I would be here.” He shuddered in anger, barring his teeth, and slammed a hoof down against the floor. “She... she knew? She did it on purpose? It’s not good enough to wreck things unintentionally, now she’s doing it on purpose?”

He shook for a moment, biting back any further words, not even noticing the voices of the ponies around him, urging him to calm down. Instead he let out a loud snarl and kicked one of the cushions, sending it flying across the room. “That vicious little conniving monster! I’ll... I’ll...” He let out another snarl as he stormed toward the door. Again, the voices barely registered. It wasn’t until a pair of hooves wrapped around him and brought him to a halt that the others in the room again registered to him, and he found Sky holding him back.

“Calm down!” Sky cried, the feelings of sympathy and fear only barely noticed by Nictis. As he continued to try to pull himself away, Sky shouted out, “This isn’t about you!”

Nictis drew back as if Sky had just punched him right on the nose. A few seconds later he went slack, his ears folding back. Sky still held on as Nictis slumped to the ground, the restraining grip quickly turning to a comforting hug as Nictis shuddered. “I’m sorry,” Nictis said in a tiny voice. “I just... I just want one thing to go right. Just one. It’s not that selfish...”

“I know,” Sky said softly. “I know. And... maybe it did have something to do with why she showed up now, but I doubt her plan is just to... to cause problems for you.”

Nictis sighed deeply. “...Yeah, I know.” He shook his head slowly, and quietly grumbled. “She’s perfectly capable of messing up my life entirely by accident.”

“Well, we’re not going to let her do that,” Sky said, giving Nictis a squeeze, as several of the others voiced their support.

“Darn right we’re not,” Applejack said loudly from where she sat.

Rainbow Dash grinned at her. “And if she’s got a problem with it, we’re going to have some fun kicking her bug-butt out of Canterlot again!”

“I hope it won’t come to that,” Celestia said, “but we will certainly do our best to ensure she does not cause any problems for anyone, pony or changeling.”

“Maybe I could help with that,” Rarity said thoughtfully. “I do know some important ponies here in Canterlot, the kind that are sure to notice any odd influences in the city. If any of Chrysalis’s changelings try anything sneaky among the influential ponies of Canterlot, we might just be able to find them before they accomplish anything.”

“Perhaps I should introduce you to Miss Tea as well,” Celestia said. “She seems to have a talent for knowing whatever happens in Canterlot even before the ponies involved. I’m sure the two of you could help each other out quite nicely.”

“That does sound like it would help to uncover what Chrysalis is up to,” Luna said, a thoughtful look crossing her face. A moment later it was replaced with a grim smile. “I must admit, if she is here for nefarious reasons and must be dealt with, I can’t say I would entirely regret it. I was unable to assist in expelling her from Equestria on her last visit, and I should like the opportunity to redress that.” When Celestia cast her a glance, eyebrow raised, Luna’s smile grew softer. “If it should come to that.”

“Chrysalis...”

The gathering grew quiet as everyone, pony and changeling alike, looked to Skiris. He had stood and stepped forward, and now had to visibly restrain himself from stepping back at the sudden attention he found focused his way. He swallowed, bracing himself; there was no point in backing down now. “...Chrysalis has messed up life for a lot of changelings,” he said, voice slowly growing firmer as he spoke. “She nearly ruined the hive with her invasion. Now she’s come here and... and I think she’s only going to make things worse. I hope she’ll see that things are better this way, but if she doesn’t...”

He stopped to look over the other changelings. The nervousness he felt from them was fading, replaced with a growing sense of solidarity. “...Then she does not deserve to rule the hive.”

Despite the looks of worry and unease, despite the almost unthinkable expression of treason against the queen, every changeling present nodded in agreement. Nictis shrugged out of Sky’s embrace to stand, his expression growing tight again. “And I’m not going to let her ruin any more of my life, either.” He looked to the gathered princesses. “Tell her... tell her I have somepony much more important to talk to than her, and she’ll just have to wait her turn.”

“Maybe I could talk to her,” Sky added as he stepped up beside Nictis, “if it would help out with negotiations?”

“I think that sounds like an excellent idea,” Celestia said with a smile. “You have my best wishes, Nictis. Good luck.”

“Um... th-thank you,” he replied, sinking down to his haunches as the fire left him. “I think, um... I think I need a minute.”

Celestia nodded to him, then turned to the rest of the gathering. “As for the rest of us, I’m afraid there is little else we can do at the moment. You should all probably get some rest. Tomorrow is likely to be rather busy.”

Soon they were all heading out, discussing plans for the evening. Only Sky and Nictis remained, sitting together in the silence that followed.

“Do you think this is the right thing to do?” Nictis asked. When he felt only confusion from Sky, he clarified. “Going to Spark, instead of dealing with Chrysalis? It doesn’t seem responsible to be focusing on my own problems when--”

He was silenced by a hoof placed over his mouth. “Oh shut up, Nictis.” Sky smiled. “You aren’t responsible for everything. Go talk with Spark. You deserve it. I can take care of things while you’re gone.” His smile slipped, turning to a frown. “Even if it means going face-to-face with her.”

Nictis pushed the hoof away. “I know, but--”

“No buts!” Sky said, pushing at Nictis’s shoulder. “Weren’t you just telling me about not avoiding things? Now get going. I’m sure he misses you.”

Nictis sighed, finally leaning in to hug Sky. “Thanks.”

Sky chuckled, leaning his head in to nuzzle alongside Nictis’s. “Hey, that’s what friends are for.”

A few moments later they separated, giving a few parting words before going their own way. Nictis slowly worked his way through the various halls and courtyards, until he found his way to the main gate. He hesitated a moment when he reached the castle gate, casting a glance back to the castle, now shrouded in the amber glow of the late evening sun. Queen Chrysalis was in there somewhere, no doubt plotting something unpleasant. To her, he must seem a despicable traitor. Someling who abandoned the hive for his own interests, who betrayed the trust she had put in him as an Infiltrator-in-training, to pursue his own interests among ponies. She had every reason to hate him, and he did not imagine that she would be above doing horrible things to someone she hated.

But as he turned and walked out the gate to begin his journey to find Spark, he couldn’t help thinking that facing her would have been the less terrifying option.