• Published 10th Jun 2014
  • 10,112 Views, 852 Comments

For Sonnets and Harmony - The Wizard of Words



There are ponies that are born great. There are ponies that achieve great things. Then there are ponies who have greatness thrust upon them. The only question for them, is what great things will they do?

  • ...
33
 852
 10,112

The Crescendo

“You’re doing great!” The encouraging words were spoken with a chipper voice. “Now just slowly ease your mind forward. Imagine the pillow floating to the throne.”

Octavia clenched her teeth and focused her thoughts, attempting to do just that.

Her hooves dug into the carpet beneath her, her legs flexing her into a lowered stance. The muscles lining her neck tensed as she strained them, contracting until her head was nearly shaking. A light sheen of sweat had begun matting her otherwise-pristine gray fur. But Octavia never took her eyes off that pillow.

She didn’t see the grand crystal halls around her; not the six thrones arranged in a circle at the center of the room, not the sharp, cutie mark-like designs on the backs, and not even the princess standing only a few paces behind her. For all Octavia could tell, she could have been in the throne room of the Princess of Friendship or she could be in the train station of Dodge Junction. All she cared about was that pillow floating in the air.

Surrounded in a gray hue--one that she had only ever seen herself perform thus far--it hovered like a leaf caught in an updraft. Unlike during her many other attempts, it didn’t suddenly explode into a cloud of feathers. It didn’t smash upwards into the ceiling and impale itself on the hard crystal. And, thankfully, it had yet to burst into flames.

It had taken Octavia nearly a hundred attempts, but she was finally lifting that pillow into the air. All she needed to do now was slowly, carefully, let it float over the to the princess’s throne. Then she could release it.

It had to be slow, Octavia reminded herself, like dragging a bow over two measures of a B Flat. She couldn’t rush the movement, or else it would destroy the pacing of the piece. She had to be careful with it. So long as she fixed her concentration, she could succeed. If Octavia could play the overture of a symphony to a crowd of thousands, then she could lift and move a pillow. Nothing could spoil her focus now.

“Hey, Octy! Look at this!”

Except for that.

The sudden shout was enough to make Octavia jump. Her head spun towards the voice, eyes wide and mouth gasping. As she looked, her wings flared and her legs crossed. She found herself in the twisted pose, costing her her balance, and fell onto the carpet, one of her wings painfully bending at a high angle.

Octavia watched with an odd sense of horror as the pillow dropped from the air, tumbling lightly and soundlessly. It hit the carpeted floor with a dull thump. To the cellist, it may as well have sounded like a vase shattering.

She puffed her lips and furrowed her brow, turning her back towards the voice that had called out to her. She didn’t need to see to know who it was. Somewhat awkwardly, Vinyl Scratch stood off to the side. In her neon blue grasp was a small snow cone. Empty, of course. She chuckled nervously at Octavia’s display.

“Geez, Tavi,” the unicorn spoke in a half-impressed, half-humored tone. “You gotta relax a little more while you do this stuff. You’re already stuffed up enough with your violin practice.”

Octavia blew a hot breath of air from her nose. She straightened herself, rising into a more dignified stance and stiffening her wings. Octavia had a small hope that she looked intimidating to her obnoxious friend, even remembering to tie the whole image together with a deeply-furrowed brow. The confident smirk on the unicorn’s face, however, suggested otherwise.

“First of all, Vinyl,” Octavia near-hissed her friend’s name. “It is a cello, not a violin. This is not the first time I have told you this. Secondly, how am I supposed to relax when I’m performing magic? Thirdly, you know better than to distract me when I’m focusing.” It was somewhere around the second point that Vinyl starting chuckling lightly to herself. It did nothing to calm Octavia’s growing agitation.

“Seriously, Tavi, you gotta chill out.” The unicorn approached the new alicorn the same way she did a new set piece; confident and bright. “I’ve heard you play on yer cello enough to know that the only time you stress out is when somethin’ interrupts you.” The irony of the statement went right over Vinyl’s head, horn, and glasses altogether.

“Oh, and what would you suggest? Have a few glasses of cider before I try this?” Octavia was hoping the bite in her words would leave a wound, if only a small one. Vinyl, however, just laughed it off with another throaty chuckle. It annoyed Octavia to the high heavens.

“Nah, nothing like that. The whole reason I’m here is just because I know ya best.” Her hoof idly scratched at her cheek. “Look, think of it this way. When I’m gettin’ ready to play in a new venue, I don’t think about the place itself, I think about it in terms of my music.” Octavia closed her eyes and took several deep breaths. It would be impolite to tackle Vinyl to the ground in front of a princess. The unicorn took it as permission to continue.

“I mean, ya gotta stop thinking about this stuff in terms of what unicorns and alicorns would say. No offense, Twi.” Octavia could hear her teeth crack, she was sure of it.

“Oh, none taken. Please, continue.” At least Twilight showed interest in Vinyl’s story. It made it easier for Octavia to justify holding back her screams.

“Tavi, Octy,” Vinyl spoke both pet names for the alicorn before continuing. “You’ve never thought of magic like me and Sparkle over here do. We grew up with the stuff. So it’s literally second nature to us. You?” She gestured to the steaming pony with a hoof. “You gotta stop trying to make it second nature and start thinking of it like something that is second nature.”

Twilight must have seen the vein popping up on Octavia’s forehead, because the princess’s timing was flawless.

“Vinyl, Octavia, why don’t we stop for now?” she intervened, fearing sparks were soon to fly. “We’ve made excellent progress so far, and there’s no need to rush any further. It’s been six… seven hours now? I lost track. Either way, it’s been more than enough.”

“Sounds cool to me,” Vinyl agreed easily. She wore a casual smile, as if nothing happened. “Probably need to make up for the snow cone. Don’t want too much junk in the trunk.” As if to punctuate her words, her neon blue magic crumbled up the cone-shaped piece of paper floating beside her.

Then, with all the grace of a lopsided duckling, she discarded the cup over her back. The paper slid across the floor, and coming to a stop beside Twilight’s throne. Octavia let out a sigh, though it sounded more like a hiss of pain. Vinyl trotted out of the room, either not hearing or blissfully ignoring her friend’s agitation. When the unicorn was gone, Octavia turned to Twilight with a short bow.

“I am very sorry, your highness,” she immediately apologized. “My friend lacks more manners than a newborn foal.” She heard the laughter almost instantaneously. Octavia glanced up, seeing the princess giggling above her, hoof hovering over her lips.

“It’s fine, really.” Twilight dismissed the apology, waving the hoof that once stifled her amusement. “With some of the friends I have, Vinyl is a pinnacle of etiquette. I mean, I’m sure she hasn’t ever flown snout-first into the princess’s face.” The giggling from the newly-crowned princess continued for only a small moment longer. Then, lowering her hoof, she gave Octavia a small, yet genuine smile. “Besides, she was kind to play at my brother’s wedding, not to mention Rarity’s fashion show as well.”

“If nothing else, she takes her work seriously,” Octavia admitted, slowly rising from her bow. When Twilight gave no protest, she stood to her tallest. New though she may be, Twilight Sparkle of Ponyville was still a princess, no matter how close to the cellist she was in age.

“She is right, though,” Twilight began. “Even though you insisted we continue your practice as long as possible, it is important to take breaks. I… I’m probably not the most qualified pony to be asking somepony else to stop using magic, but at least Vinyl understands.”

“I’m.. not sure I fully understand, your majesty.” Octavia was more confused than clarified by Twilight’s words. The princess had a small look of discomfort about her, causing instant worry in the freshly-made alicorn.

“Please don’t call me ‘your majesty’. It’s just not something I think I want to get used to.” Twilight let out a small sigh, straightening herself to continue. “What I meant was that my friends have pointed out to me that I have a tendency to not stop something until it’s completed, and that I’d often force myself to work through the night. I didn’t even think it was that odd until I started making friends.” As Twilight continued speaking, Octavia did well to remind herself that the princess was telling, literally, her life’s story.

“It’s great to work hard, because hard work is what gives us the knowledge and skill to succeed. But you have to know when to stop, when it’s time to see your limits and ask your friends for help.” Twilight gave Octavia a knowing smile, continuing softly but steadily. Octavia thought it appeared suspiciously similar to the smiles Vinyl would often give. “You’re lucky to have a friend like Vinyl, you know. She knows you well, and knows when to say enough is enough.”

The gray alicorn felt a warm blush run beneath her coat. She immediately broke eye-contact, looking towards a suddenly enrapturing part of the floor. It figured, in retrospect. Twilight, the Princess of Friendship, really would be able to pin-point her relationship with Vinyl easily. Who else but the one who studied it for a living?

“She does know me well,” Octavia finally admitted, feeling a small smile pull at her lips. “I suppose if two ponies share an apartment for long enough, they’ll have to become good friends. That, or worst enemies.”

“I’m glad it’s the former.” Octavia started laughing, and Twilight quickly joined in. In that moment, any tension remaining in the younger alicorn was quickly eased. She really wasn’t speaking with a Princess of Ponyville. She was simply chatting with a fellow mare. It felt nice. Great, even. “Though she does know when to say stop,” Twilight added, chuckles subsiding, “I don’t think she’d be the best teacher for you alone.”

“Oh, I completely agree,” the gray mare responded, lifting a hoof to signify her lack of protest. “I could no more listen to Vinyl attempt to instruct me then she could listen to me tell her to clean the living room. For reference, I still have a hard time seeing the floor.” And again, Twilight let out a small chorus of giggles, one soon followed by Octavia’s own.

It was a pleasant feeling, speaking with a pony that had grown up in a way similar to her own. Octavia doubted Princess Twilight partied or worked like Vinyl, let alone practicing the horrific manners the unicorn seemed keen on sharing. Talking to a pony that actually thought before they spoke; Octavia usually only had that blessing during her rehearsals.

“I have to admit, though, you are improving at a phenomenal rate.” Twilight’s spoke kindly again. “In only a week, you’ve been able to improve at a rate that would take most fillies at least a year!” The compliment was genuine, but Octavia found it didn’t lift her enthusiasm.

“I… appreciate the kind words, your majesty, but… I hardly find comparing myself to a foal a fair assessment in any regard.” The words landed harder than Octavia had intended.

“Oh, I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean it like that!” The lavender mare hurriedly waved her forehooves, settling back on her rump with a look of abject horror spread across her features. “I-I just meant that… th-that for just getting a new horn, you have exceptional control of it.” Octavia was sure she wasn’t imagining the blush across the princess’s features.

Twilight looked to and fro, searching for something the gray mare was unsure of. She saw the idea pop into the princess’s mind. Her eyes widened only slightly, but her lips pulled in a grin.

“Here, let’s try this,” Twilight started trotting around Octavia as she spoke, causing the fellow mare to turn. By the time she had turned around, Twilight was sitting on the ground again, her hoof motioning towards a lone object on the floor. Octavia recognized it immediately as the remains of the snow cone Vinyl had thrown. She really had to reprimand that mare later.

“Vinyl’s gone for now, and Spike will probably keep her busy in the kitchen for a little bit.” Octavia recalled how easy it was to bribe the unicorn with a good meal. It was how she got the many needed hours of practice that she did. “Instead of the pillow, why don’t you try lifting and moving the snow cone? The trash can is right over there.” The unicorn pointed behind Octavia as she spoke. The cellist bit her lip.

It wasn’t as if she lacked the confidence to pull off the maneuver, as she was very near performing it earlier. It just felt… off, somehow. Like transitioning from a cello to a violin. Despite Vinyl’s common mistake, the two instruments were similar in many ways. That did not mean Octavia had any mastery over the smaller stringed instrument. Rather, she only had basic ideas on how to use it. This was much the same.

She had been practicing with a pillow--a light, fluffy pillow-- for nearly a week. Now she was going to start lifting something else. She could do it, she knew she could, but it still felt… different somehow. Octavia let a low sigh pass her lips, steeling herself and considering. She couldn’t very well expect to say she could use magic if pillows were the only thing she could lift, could she?

But then a rogue thought entered her mind. It wasn’t something obscene or absurd. Rather, it was just a small message repeating in her mind, and one that had been given to her by a friend. Specifically, the only friend who had given her advice so recently. With a sigh, she decided that she might as well attempt it.

Just as before, she adopted a crouched position, tensing her muscles and focusing her mind. She blocked out the room around her, no differently than she would a theatre hall or a crowd in front of the symphony. There was nothing else around her that was important, not even Princess Twilight Sparkle. All that mattered now was the paper cone.

She reached out with her mind and imagined the object like she would the lone string on her cello, patiently waiting for her touch. And she did, in her mind’s eyes, grasp the crumbled bit of paper on the ground. Octavia felt her gray aura envelop the snow cone, making it shine and hum. It sounded to her like the first note of a properly strung chord.

Taking in a slow breath, she lifted her head, guiding the cone with the end of her horn. As she did so, she could hear the notes in her mind growing in volume and drawing the curtain to the symphony. It lifted into the air near-effortlessly.

She tilted her head, careful not to turn it. A musician was not supposed to turn her body while she played any instrument, only bend closer towards or away from it. As Octavia leaned to her side, the cone followed with her, drifting over the floor. She could hear the soft intro of a melody drifting through the room alongside the cone.

All too soon it hovered over the waste bin, ready for Octavia to release her spell. But what that meant was only too clear to the new alicorn, and too depressing, too. To end the spell would end the song, and she hated ending a rehearsal early.

Instead, she let the music guide her mind, following the logical progression of notes. She needed a verse; a rise in temp that would snag attention after the slow pacing of the beginning. Octavia felt her head bobbing very slightly in tune with the notes that echoed in her mind, her eyes still solely focused on the crumbled bit of paper.

As the notes continued to flow through her, the paper floated away from the bin, easily and quickly settling over the table. It bounced in her gray aura, tapping on the table in tune with an inaudible beat. Octavia let the music in her mind guide her magic.

The alicorn was no longer sure if she was casting a levitation spell, or had simply become one with the paper. But she didn’t stop, couldn’t stop. As mundane as the task was, she was enjoying herself. It was as if she was proving her worth at an open recital all over again.

Octavia could only barely make out the humming of some pony talking, but she ignored it regardless, just as she would any stray voice in the audience. She could not be distracted by such frivolous things, not while there was music to make.

Her lips turned into a smile and her eyes glittered, watching as the paper began to unfold from its crumbled state. In an almost majestic way, the paper began to straighten like a clam opening to reveal a precious pear, smoothing its edges and removing the sharp creases beset by her unicorn friend earlier.

Octavia was blissfully unaware of what she was doing. All she cared to think about now was that the music was approaching the finale, and she could not disappoint the audience. Perfection was essential.

With another small flick of her horn, requesting the strings to increase in volume, the paper cone sprung outwards. It was now completely free of any creases, bends, or flaws to its conical shape. But that was not all. It performed several small dips and twists, as if dancing through the air to her enchanting melody.

Air maneuvers completed, it met the surface of the table, spinning on its side. Its top lifted, open end facing upwards toward the ceiling in a seamless twirl. Octavia felt the last strings in the symphony release, ending the song with reverberating echoes. It was only then that she realized the extent of what she had done. It was as if the metaphorical curtains were truly drawn back and she was able to appreciate her own work.

She was dumbstruck.

She stared at the small snow cone, now perfectly shaped and settled on the table, its point down. Despite the clearly impossible position, it was perfectly balanced, no longer surrounded by her gray aura. It was something she thought only possible to those who were masters of the magical arts, something she certainly was not.

She wasn’t so certain anymore, however.

Her eyes turned, shakily, towards Twilight. Octavia wasn’t sure if she should be elated or terrified that the mare looked as shocked as she did. Were it not for the skull holding it up, Octavia was sure Twilight’s jaw would be lying on the floor. It was close enough already.

“Oct… Octavia.” Said mare prepared herself for whatever may come. “Wow… wow!” She was not prepared for the overly excited cheering from the princess.

With almost as much surprise as when she saw the snow cone, Octavia watched as Twilight nearly began to jump in place. The alicorn’s hooves excitedly beat against the carpet, a gleeful smile writ large across her face. A small flash of light momentarily blinded Octavia, leaving her with her hoof raised above her eyes. When she lowered it, Twilight was no longer behind her. Instead, she had appeared next to the table, staring fixedly at the standing snow cone with rapt attention.

“This is amazing!” She said in an awed whisper, something Octavia had heard many fillies do. “You’ve casted an absolute balance spell perfectly in conjunction with a fault repair incantation! There isn’t a single crease on the paper, and there’s no support to keep it standing! It’s incredible! You’re incredible!”

Octavia suddenly found herself at a loss for words. Or, rather, she remained lost. It didn’t become any easier to find them when another flash of light blinded her, leaving her squinting. She blinked away the bright lights, only to see two equally-bright lavender eyes inches from her face. The gray alicorn fell backward onto her flank with a small squeak of surprise. Twilight either didn’t notice or didn’t care.

“You never told me you had such mastery of these spells! Were you practicing in your off hours? Did one of the princesses give you tutoring lessons?” Despite the intensity of her tone, Twilight appeared to be more excited than hurt at the prospect of Octavia learning from some other pony. The sitting mare shook her head rapidly nevertheless, denying the idea entirely. “Then was Vinyl Scratch helping you? Did she teach you in private how to mend fractured objects?”

“N-No! No!” Octavia was waving her hooves in denial. Thankfully, it seemed to break a little of the lavender alicorn’s obsession over the details, as it made her take a few hoof steps back. The pause was just enough for the gray mare to stand back up and collect herself. “No, no I… I-I just tried to take Vinyl’s advice to heart.”

“Her advice? You mean thinking in second nature?” Octavia nodded her head to confirm. “That’s wonderful! What did you think of, if I may ask?” Octavia was never shy about her music before. She was not about to start now.

“I thought of it like an orchestra,” she spoke honestly, eyes transfixed on the empty snow cone. She still had a hard time believing that she did it, having only been gifted with magic so recently. “I thought… I imagined that I was the conductor. Despite what most ponies think, the conductor does not guide the music, but rather is guided by it. You follow the dips and rises, commanding instruments to rise or fall with the tune of the others. If you only led, the song would fall apart.” Twilight seemed to be catching on.

“You were listening to a song, then. And… You didn’t want to stop it?” Octavia let out a small smile with her breath, nodding her head in agreement. “That’s amazing! You should be very proud of yourself!” The bright smile and optimistic voice was all the indication the gray mare needed towards the sincerity in those words. Then again, she had a hard time imagining Twilight being deceitful.

“Yes... I am.” And she was, truthfully. Octavia was proud of herself. She felt the small fire in her chest, the small recognition of herself that she loved to sit in and soak in. She let it remind herself that no matter how many obstacles she may face, she should always be proud. Her mother taught her that. She loved her mother.

“Princess Twilight,” Octavia spoke the lavender mare’s name, earning her attention. “May I pose you a question?”

“Octavia, please. Just ‘Twilight’ is fine.” This was not the first time the Princess of Friendship had had to insist on her first name with the gray mare. She seriously doubted it would be the last. “But yes, what’s on your mind?” Octavia bowed her head softly before she spoke again.

“I was hoping you might have a theory as to how… this happened.” As she asked the question, one of her forehooves motioned around her body, sweeping from the tip of her horn to the base of her hooves. It was rather clear what she meant. Twilight gave a very quick sigh, preparing a response. Octavia continued, however.

“I-I mean to say… neither Princess Luna nor Princess Celestia have any knowledge as to why I have changed, and now I have just shown… something significant with my magic.” Her hoof moved from her body to the snow cone, which was still balancing magnificently on its single point. “Do you have any idea?” Octavia tried to make herself sound anything but desperate. She wasn’t sure how well that was accomplished.

“Honestly, no.” The disappointment in Twilight’s voice was evident. “According to Princess Celestia, there was a prophecy written by Star Swirl regarding my own ascension, and Cadance was the last in a line of ponies descending from the Crystal Empire. I’m afraid that there really isn’t anything talking about you, Octavia. I’m sorry to say that, but I don’t want to lie to you.” If nothing else, Octavia did appreciate the mare’s truthfulness.

“I can’t say I am not disappointed, but thank you for the honesty nonetheless. I’d prefer a cruel reality to a pleasant dream.” That was a lesson taught to her by her father. To never run away from what was true. She loved him just as much as she loved her mother. She loved both her parents.

Octavia didn’t know if it was the words themselves, how she spoke them, or just the expression on her face, but whatever it was, Twilight was by her side shortly. She felt a wing wrap around her, comforting her. Octavia turned her head, blinking. She saw Twilight giving her a smile to match her embrace.

“Why don’t we see if Spike and Vinyl have made anything good yet?” Twilight suggested with a chipper tone. “We could do with a break by now anyway.” Octavia felt a smile pull at her lips, and she nodded her head for the umpteenth time.

“Yes, that sounds… pleasant.” A break was certainly long overdue. Preferably one with a nice cup of tea and jasmine bread. That never failed to relax her nerves. Knowing Vinyl, expecting such a treat downstairs was impossible. With Spike, maybe less so.

“Come on,” Twilight signaled with her head, cheerfulness across her features. “We can talk more in the kitchen.” Their current conversation over, the lavender mare trotted from the room. As an afterthought, she lightly reorganized what needed to be straightened before she left. Pillows and other small objects simultaneously returned to their rightful positions all about the room. It was a simple act for the princess--a single wave of her horn at most--but it was far more than Octavia could imagine, especially now that she understood the level of concentration that entailed.

Where she needed to focus on a crumbled piece of paper in order to levitate it, Twilight was able to reorganize the pillows strewn about the room, right and square the tables that had been moved, remove any spare wrappers or trash that had been left in Vinyl’s wake, and even draw the curtains for the sun to shine through. All with a single wave of her horn. Octavia had no questions as to why she was Celestia’s protégé.

It didn’t take long to turn the corner from the courtroom and reach into the hall. Said halls were all covered with the same crystal structure that the rest of the palace was made out of. Unlike the grand halls of Canterlot’s Castle, however, these were far less decorated. No history hanging from the walls, no artifacts of years long past, nothing but a carpet across the floor and not but a few choice windows along the walls. They would be filled in time, doubtlessly, but it was hard to ignore how bare they were.

“Something smells good,” Twilight’s musings broke Octavia from her own. She saw the lavender mare’s wings beat lightly, either in anticipation, excitement, or, likely, both. It reminded Octavia of her own wings as well. She looked back at them, unsure.

She had gained no more control over them in the past week, as she had done little more than experiment with how they felt in the air. It still felt odd to say that they were her wings. Her horn was hard enough to master, but at least Princess Twilight was generous enough to coach her on its use. It was far from being a natural part of her, as Vinyl so keenly pointed out, but it was now more like her cello; an extension of herself. That sounded right.

Reaching the end of their trek, Twilight pushed open a smaller crystal door to reveal the kitchen of the Ponyville Castle. As soon as the small barrier was open, a tantalizing odor forcefully met Octavia’s nose. Steamed hay with caramel dressing, a dessert likely thought up by Vinyl. The scent that truly attracted her, however, was the wafting essence of dandelions atop a dish of pasture greens. It made her mouth water.

Beyond the heavenly aroma was a set of familiar tools in an unfamiliar room. Octavia had ventured into the kitchen maybe twice before, but never with such a close eye. It was large, large as the mare expected the kitchen of a castle to be. Tabletops meant to hold enough food for a feast were lined across the room, complete with one running straight through the middle as well. Cupboards and cold storage containers were also speckled about the room, doubtlessly organized by the local chef’s command. Said chef was addressed not a moment later.

“Hey, Spike, what’s for dinner?” The sound of his name caught the dragon’s attention, making him look up from his meal preparation. Octavia looked at Spike. He had the cutest smile over his fangs. Even in her mind, that sounded odd.

“Hey, Twilight! Hello, Octavia!” The polite dragon responded to the princess’s voice. Octavia sought the dragon out, finding him standing on a tall stool in a half-apron. He was waving to her with one of his claws, a cheery grin across his muzzle. Politely, she fully returned the gesture, silently appreciating the cute creature. The pony next to him was quite another matter.

While Spike had the aura of a professional chef, with dishes completed and dressings prepared, Vinyl Scratch looked like a greedy customer too impatient to eat. A few green leaves were sticking out from her lips, slowly disappearing behind her chewing jaws and moving lips. Judging by the way her chin was upturned, her eyes were probably closed behind those opaque lavender glasses of hers. She was enjoying herself.

“Aw, Spike,” Vinyl let out, swallowing the last of the greens she had pilfered from the plates. “I’m this close ta stealing you and having you cook for me and Octy.” Octavia was only partially worried about the unicorn this time. This was not the first time she had dropped such abrupt comments.

“Well, you’re already stealing my ingredients.” The tiny green dragon noted with a wave of his claws. One of the dishes was completely vacant of a salad and the other missing at least a third of the greens. The other two remained untouched, though judging by their distance from the DJ, Spike had probably scooted them away from the hungry mare. “Seriously, you just had to wait a bit.”

“What’s the point in waiting when it’s already so good?” Vinyl argued back petulantly. “I just don’t want to be treated like I’m at one of those Hoity Toity restaurants Tavi keeps dragging me off to.”

“I’m sorry, Vinyl, but what is wrong with my preference in cafés?” Octavia accused. It was really the only way she had a chance of getting a straight answer from the mare. “And didn’t you already have a snow cone before you got here?” Vinyl turned her head towards her friend, giving the mare one of her signature smirks in advance of her reply.

“Come on, Octy, are you gonna tell me flat face that those places don’t take their sweet time gettin’ the food ready?” Vinyl turned Octavia’s accusation back on her. “And the snow cone? That was just ta cool me off. It gets hot out here. ‘Sides,” the unicorn started, turning her salivating mouth back towards the collection of greens assembled by the dragon. “When have I ever said no to free food?” Spike’s claws dragged the meal further away from her.

“Placing aside the fact you answered my questions with more questions, you must remember that this food isn’t free.” Octavia trotted the short distance across the kitchen to Vinyl’s side. “We are guests of Princess Twilight Sparkle and her marvelous assistant Spike.” She made sure to bow to the baby dragon, earning a small blush from him.

“Yeah, and guests eat free.” The conclusion was reached so simply that Octavia had to resist slamming her head upon the desk. “Seriously, watch this.” Octavia knew she didn’t want to. “Hey, Twilight, can I have this salad?” Once more, Octavia proved herself correct.

“Of course! Spike was preparing for four.” The sincere answer came from the lavender mare. Octavia could only hope that it was the kindness of the princess that brought about the answer and not naiveté. Vinyl’s cheeky grin didn’t change regardless.

“See! All set!” Octavia managed to hold in her annoyance, stifling a moan of discomfort. She looked up pleadingly towards the lavender alicorn, hating the expression she was sure she was wearing. All it earned was a small giggle from the princess and a snicker from her assistant. It did little to help the situation.

The belch that Spike made, however, did.

“Whoa!” Vinyl let out, back-pedaling away. She stopped only when her rump ran into one of the counters against the wall. Octavia couldn’t suppress the small chorus of laughter that rose to her throat.

“Oh!” Twilight jumped up at the sight. “I’m so sorry about that! Spike doesn’t have much warning before he gets messages.” The alicorn quickly trotted over to Vinyl’s side, looking over the unicorn with concern. The puffed lips of Vinyl pouting was enough for Octavia to know her friend was okay.

“It’s fine,” the unicorn responded without conviction, adjusting the lenses on her snout. A few choice words grumbled from her lips, though they were unintelligible to both Octavia and Twilight. Knowing her friend, the gray mare was sure it was for the best.

“Twilight,” Spike spoke the princess’s name to get her attention. “It’s from the girls. It looks like they’re trying out the new system.”

Really?” The question was spoken with an undeniable level of cheer. If the chirpiness of her voice was not enough to demonstrate her enthusiasm, Twilight suddenly teleporting to her assistant’s side was. Octavia only ever saw Twilight do that when she was overcome with good news, such as the request to teach her magic. The new alicorn considered herself lucky she wasn’t seeing spots with the sheer number of times Twilight had flashed her with magic.

Said alicorn spoke up. “Oh! Excuse me, but I have to take care of this. Just a message from Pinkie Pie.” She had the paper in her ethereal grasp, looking over a choice spot in the text. It was impossible for Octavia to tell quite what words she was staring at. “It’ll just be a moment. Spike, can you come with me?” Without a word, the dragon hopped down from his stool and untied his apron. With a routine pace, the two left the kitchen from the same door Octavia had just entered.

Vinyl and Octavia were left alone. In itself, there was nothing Octavia found wrong with that, having been roommates with the DJ long enough to grow somewhat accustomed to her eccentricities. What was concerning to her specifically, however, was where they were being left alone. Knowing Vinyl, it wouldn’t take long before half the kitchen was gone.

“So, anything new in the magical frontier?” Vinyl asked her friend, standing back-up from her earlier trip. “Cure any diseases? Destroy any monsters?” Octavia could only sigh before she responded, rolling her eyes at the suggestions.

“Honestly, Vinyl, I have no idea how those two things possibly relate to my aptitude in using magic.” The snicker from the unicorn told Octavia it was just another poorly phrased and hardly-understood joke. That mare, sometimes…

“I’m kidding ya. Really, though, you were up there for a little while. Something come up?” Vinyl wrapped her hoof around Octavia, pulling the mare into an unwilling side hug. The gray alicorn was only too used to her friend’s disregard for space, personal or otherwise. “C’mon, you can tell me. I can keep secrets like I’m a bank.”

“More like a blood bank.” Octavia replied dryly. Judging by the way Vinyl continued to hold her, she didn’t get the jab. However, this was not something she should just comment about and trot away from. There was something to say. “Actually, I made some progress.”

“Really? Awesome!” The unicorn whirled with her words, stopping only when she was snout-to-snout with the alicorn. Octavia was long-used to this kind of contact. Vinyl didn’t care. “So, tell me about it. Did you light Twilight on fire? Make a macarena dance?”

“No and no!” Octavia vehemently denied. “Honestly, Vinyl, I did little more than what I was capable of before. The only thing of note was how I did it.”

“I know. So seriously, spill it! What’d you do?” Octavia was trying her best to sort out if Vinyl was excited about her casting magic or if she was just acting the same as usual. It was hard to judge, given the unicorn was always so full of energy.

“I was successful in my attempt to levitate the crumbled snow cone wrapper you left in the courtroom.” Octavia snugged the barb in her words, just as she had seen her mother and father do countless times before. But where such words would have given her room to pause, Vinyl jumped over them without any mind.

“That’s cool! Glad I could help by providing the materials,” Vinyl snickered. “But seriously, what happened? Spike and I heard Twi cheering like mad! Spike said the last he heard her like that was when she got some old book.” It figured that the one mare Octavia would have sworn had hearing problems could make out a conversation two doors and a hallway away.

Still, it wasn’t as if there was much to hide. It was by Vinyl’s help that she was able to make any progress at all. Another smile pulled at Octavia’s lips.

“I successfully cast a series of spells that not only lifted your snow cone wrapper, but also repaired it to its proper shape and gave it perfect balance upon a table. It was standing on its point without aid from another device.” Even behind the glasses, the surprise was still evident in Vinyl’s features. Octavia was proud of it, proud that it was something she did herself this time, and not something that had happened to her.

“Seriously? That’s so cool!” The unicorn bounced at the testimony, giving a midair spin to follow. “Man, if I could cast spells like that I’d never have to worry about a cracked record or busted speaker again. Tavi, next time you gotta help me out. Whip out your magic alicorn-style and fix up my place.” And there was the pony Octavia knew, never failing to say just the right thing.

“Yes, well, I suppose next time such an event occurs, I can try.” Octavia averted her gaze in hopes to shift the conversation. It was a fruitless endeavor. “Though I do have to thank you. I was only able to cast those spells after I heeded your advice. To think in terms of something second nature to me.” Oddly, instead of riling up the unicorn, the words seemed to calm her down.

Rather than a wide-eyed and excited smile, complete with bouncing hooves and a resounding cheer, Vinyl just casually grinned at the new alicorn, breathing a small puff of air from her snout. She looked satisfied in a way Octavia wasn’t accustomed to seeing.

“Told ya I knew you best,” Vinyl spoke easily. Unfortunately, Octavia knew that she deserved it, at least this once. “I mean, don’t get me wrong. Twilight’s got more spells in her head then I do songs, and that’s saying something, but even I know you can’t get too far dealing with somepony that knows nothing about you.” Vinyl punctuated her words by lightly tapping on Octavia’s back. Petting her, almost. The alicorn settled on simply sighing patiently. For all the flaws Vinyl had, there was a good idea or two in that electronically-addled mind of hers.

“Thank you, Vinyl,” Octavia responded genuinely, filling her debt of gratitude. “I suppose I do have to give my regards to you for… finding the quickest path to my success.”

“Dude, Octy! Once was enough.” Vinyl adjusted her glasses to give the new alicorn a rather flat stare. Octavia was more curious than off put by it. “We’re friends, and friends help friends. You helped me get a roof to sleep under and food to eat. If I can help you learn magic like the princess, I call that pretty fair.” Very few ponies would, but Octavia wasn’t about to argue away a deal blatantly in her favor.

She smiled at the unicorn, reminding herself for not the first time how lucky she was to have the DJ as a friend.

“Whoa, what’s with that look? Do I got something on my face?” Vinyl rubbed her hoof over her cheeks as she spoke. It was impossible to tell if she was serious or not. “Sorry if I do. But colt! It’s hard not to get that dragon’s food on you.” Octavia giggled at the statement, shaking her head and shutting her eyes.

The sound of an opening door perked her ears. She turned to see Twilight walking into the kitchen again, eyes scanning the room until they found Octavia. When they did, the Princess of Friendship visibly lit up.

“Octavia,” Twilight called her name. The lavender mare trotted into the room, a bright smile across her lips. “Are you busy tonight? Like, anything really important?” The question caught the mare off guard.

She blinked, momentarily filtering through her mind for any events. She had orchestra practice early the next day, and she still had to prepare a few meals for lunch and dinner, but no immediate concerns came to mind. There were no relatives to visit, meetings to attend or practices to be held.

“No,” she answered back truthfully. “Assuming the evening is not late, I am free.” The answer appeared to be exactly what Twilight was looking for. It was hard to miss the chipper clop of her hooves.

“That’s great!” She exclaimed enthusiastically. “Because Pinkie Pie invited me to one of her parties tonight. I thought it’d be great if you came along.” While Twilight was doubtlessly feeling her heart elate, Octavia felt quite the opposite.

On only too many occasions to name did Vinyl Scratch drag her out to the rambunctious parties around Canterlot. Late night getaways with more screaming and hollering than true party mingling, they were doubtlessly the cause of many grey hairs she would receive in the future. With a name like Pinkie Pie in a town like Ponyville, Octavia very much doubted that the party the Princess of Friendship spoke of would be as sophisticated as she preferred.

“I… appreciate the offer your highness, but I believe I should really take an early night’s rest.” Octavia did her utmost to respectfully decline the offer. It felt odd in no small way, denying a gift from royalty.

“Are you sure?” Twilight responded back, visibly deflated. Octavia figured she had gotten the princess’s hopes up by saying she was free and then shot her down. She wasn’t proud of that. “Pinkie is usually very good about timing with her parties. I’m sure you’d be home at a decent hour.” Octavia turned her head and licked her lips, doing her best to avoid revealing her nervous gaze.

“I’m honored to receive this invitation, Princess Twilight. I truly am, but-” What Octavia was going to say was that she was not in the mood to party like a mare without a care in her life. What happened instead was what was usual for a conversation with Vinyl Scratch in the vicinity. She popped into the dialogue in her own special way.

“Of course she’ll go!” the unicorn answered, wrapping an alabaster hoof around Octavia’s neck. Her pumping fist and forward-facing gaze meant that she missed the steaming expression on her friend’s features. The sudden contact made Octavia freeze. “She’s got nothin’ important to do. And a little time around other ponies could do her some good.” Octavia wasn’t sure if she should have been more insulted by the way Vinyl decided for her, the way she held onto her or the way she basically called her a loner. They all seemed equally terrible to her.

“Do you want to come too, Vinyl?” Twilight posed the question to the unicorn no differently than she had to the alicorn. The DJ, however, was quicker with her words than Octavia, as uncouth as they were.

“Nah, I gotta jet outta here soon. Got a gig back in Canterlot.” The unicorn adjusted the glasses on the bridge of her nose, making sure her smirk was broad and proud beneath it. “Can’t leave the little fillies crying.”

“Little fillies attend your late night performances?” In truth, Octavia knew better, but so few were the chances to tease her friend that she jumped at them as they came. Vinyl didn’t so much as roll her eyes. Rather, she turned said eyes right back on the alicorn still locked beneath her foreleg.

“Sure do! Have to play in a cage to keep the mares from jumping me. You jealous of that, Octy?” Vinyl poked her friend’s side to hammer home the question. That action was synonymous with stoking a fire, and Twilight could see this.

“Well, I think it would be great if you could come, Octavia,” the princess interjected easily. “You could meet the rest of the girls, and I’m sure they would love to meet you! Rarity has actually attended a few of Canterlot’s Orchestras. I’m sure she’d be delighted to see you.” Octavia had to admit, meeting another pony that appreciated symphonies was a treat she never tired of.

She bit her lip, unsure. It didn’t help that she continued to feel Vinyl pressuring her, metaphorically and literally. Her eyes locked with Twilight’s, and found the older alicorn’s gaze brimming with unabashed hope. It was more than clear she wanted her to go very much. Octavia gave in with a sigh. If she was trying so many new things, what was one more on the list?

“Okay, I’ll attend.” She agreed. Vinyl immediately flexed her leg, causing Octavia to raise her own foreleg in a vain attempt to fight against the grip.

“That’s my girl!” The unicorn cheered like the kitchen was one of her concert venues. “Now, before you go, you gotta remember the rules.” Octavia had no clue what Vinyl was talking about. She decided to hear her out.

With as much ceremony as she always displayed--that being none at all--Vinyl twisted Octavia around, staring into the other mare’s eyes through her purple lenses. Octavia felt her muscles tense uncomfortably. She wished she could be speaking over a table top, at the least.

“Rule number one,” the unicorn spoke, raising her hoof. “If some stallion hits on you, turn them down flat, no matter what.” Octavia wasn’t shocked that these were the sort of rules Vinyl would place. “Rule number two! If a mare hits on you, take her back home immediately. Seriously. No matter what, she’s a keeper.” Octavia knew she would regret it, but the question had to be asked.

“And for what reason should I obey these rules, exactly?” She spoke it in a sardonic tone laced with apathy, but Vinyl took it as an honest inquiry all the same. Octavia’s regret was not disappointed.

“Isn’t it obvious?” the unicorn responded with an entertained grin. “‘Cause it’s so much easier to tag in with two mares than any stallion!”

“Okay, I think that’s enough.” Twilight interrupted the unicorn, speaking with an uneasy smile. “I can promise that Pinkie Pie doesn’t throw those kinds of parties. This is just hanging out with friends, Octavia. Honest.”

“Yeah, I believe that,” Vinyl spoke back truthfully. “And that’s why I’m tellin’ Octy the rules. Friends are the first ponies ta jump ya. Seriously. Enough hard cider will do anypony in.” A few choice nights came to Octavia’s mind, but she wisely kept her mouth shut.

“In all honesty, I think I will be quite alright.” Octavia spoke to Vinyl, lightly moving out of her friends embrace. She looked to Twilight with what she hoped was an appreciating expression. “I would be honored to attend this social event with you and your friends, Princess Twilight.”

“Please, just ‘Twilight’.” Twilight said reflexively. Her mind then caught up with the rest of the sentence, and she gave a happy gasp. “That’s great!” The librarian gave an enthusiastic jump to punctuate her words. “I’ll let the rest of the girls know now!” With neither further word or warning, Twilight’s horn flashed a blinding white, taking the alicorn away in the blink of an eye. Octavia was blinking spots out of her eyes.

“And you wonder why I keep my shades on.” A scowl pulled at the gray alicorn’s lips, Vinyl chuckling beside her in response. “Seriously, though. Have some fun tonight. Catch me up on what happens when you get back, ‘kay?” And there was the seriousness Octavia so rarely heard from the unicorn. Genuine concern, from friend to friend.

“I will, Vinyl. I promise,” Octavia spoke her words honestly, earning an equally honest grin from the alabaster unicorn.

“Sweet! I’ll be out, then. Say hi and bye to the rest of the girls for me!” With all the elegance of a bull, the unicorn trotted out of the room, nearly barreling through the doorway. Octavia sighed and shook her head once more.

Deciding that the kitchen was hardly the place for her to wait for the princess, Octavia sought out a more appropriate room. The main court seemed like a good idea. It would likely be the first place for Twilight to search, as well as the least imposing area to sit in. Her eyes turned towards the plates still arranged on the counter, noticing one salad dish survived the massacre that was Vinyl’s hungry assault.

“Might as well,” she muttered to herself, an idea forming in her mind like a new orchestral piece. Octavia was fully aware that she was still in the stage of experimentation. Like learning any new instrument, she had to test all of its parts before learning how to operate it.

She settled for a soft break in an otherwise-masterful performance, lacking nothing in quality. Not a symphony, but a solo. The cello was her instrument of choice, of course. Octavia knew every appropriate rise and dip of the stringed instrument.

Though, as she put more thought into it, she could also recall the parts of a violin, a viola, and a bass. With just a bit more focus, she could even imagine the careful positioning on a flute, and then on a trombone and trumpet. With true focus, and her mind’s gaze, she could even see the chords of a piano being plucked, each one guided by an ivory key.

Octavia shook her head and cleared her thoughts.

“Focus, Octavia,” she spoke the verbal command to herself. It was one she had muttered often. “You are alone. Let not others guide you now.” The chant was one she had said often.

The cello in her mind vibrated with a deep note; Octavia knew it as A Flat. She saw her gray aura envelop the plate. As the note grew louder in her mind, the plate slowly lifted higher and higher into the air. She smiled to herself, proud once more.

The notes in her mind changed, rising in pitch until the plate was floating above the ground beside her, table forgotten. Satisfied, Octavia slowly trotted towards the door. The plate followed behind, keeping perfectly in tune with the notes reverberating in her mind.

It took little time for her to walk the length of the hall. The solo in her mind was keeping her thoroughly entertained. It was a performance she wished to play with her own hooves. The plate beside her appeared as if it was enjoying it, too. It spun lightly around her head, dancing fluidly with the chords in her mind. Though the pace never increased, the tone continued to change, and the plate’s dance likewise. The salad itself, however, never so much as faltered on the dish. Octavia absentmindedly noted that there was likely another spell she was unaware she had cast keeping the food from leaving the spinning surface. She paid the notion little mind.

The court appeared once again, the six chairs wrapped in a loose circle about one another. The chamber was, she noticed, complete with extra chairs to the sides and a small hallway to the grand doors of the castle. Twilight had insisted multiple times against either calling the castle grand or even so much as a castle at all, but Octavia was not about to call a swan a duck. This was indeed a grand castle, and was befitting of a princess such as Twilight Sparkle.

“Your majesty?”

The words made Octavia gasp.

In an instant, the music in her mind had ceased. Her head whirled towards the voice, spying a blue pegasus sitting just beside the main entranceway. He had a similar gaze of shock, his pupils constricted and posture tall. Octavia only had enough time to note that much before the shattering of a dish shocked her again.

This time Octavia jumped.

The alicorn easily leapt her height into the air, turning mid-jump to face the now-broken plate and scattered salad. Her chest heaved in an attempt to control herself, her system on high alert. The air around her was deftly still.

“A-Are you okay?” Octavia once more whirled towards the pony, starting after the first syllable was uttered. Her panic had not gone down one bit. Fortunately or not, neither had the other pony’s.

His forehoof was half stuck-out towards her, as if he was uncertain on whether or not to touch her. A look of panic was evident in his gaze, but by the shaking of his hooves it was clear he was also debating about how to proceed. It was impossible to tell, however, just what he was doing.

“Who are you?” The words sounded like icy cold coming from her mouth, and Octavia regretted them the moment they left. Fortunately, they seemed to snap the other pony from his reverie.

“O-Oh! Yeah!” With little warning, he lowered his tall form to the floor, bowing towards Octavia. “M-My name is Drifter of Cloudsdale, your majesty! I-I-I had arranged to see you a week ago. I’m sorry for disturbing you. I-I’ll just come back later!” Then, with as much notice as before, he lifted his nose off of the ground and started to turn from Octavia. The gray alicorn reacted.

“Wait!” She cried. The pegasus froze on his hooves, nearly tripping over himself as he did so. His gaze whirled towards her, panic evident across his face. The newfound distance between them had helped reduce the awkwardness a little. “Wait, please,” Octavia spoke again, doing her utmost to relieve some of the tension in the air. She took several deep breaths before attempting to speak again, slowly closing and reopening her eyes. This gave her a moment to take in the image of the pegasus.

Drifter, as he called himself himself, had a sky blue coat and a dark gray mane hanging from his head and extending down his neck. It was surprisingly long for a male, enough so that it was tucked behind his ears to avoid covering his eyes. Besides that, it was unstyled. He appeared well-kept and very clean, perhaps having taken a bath in anticipation of meeting royalty.

One of his wings was extended outwards, as Octavia had recently come to realize was normal for pegasi in situations of high emotion. It appeared smaller than her own, though he wasn’t a recently-ascended alicorn. What gave Octavia a bit more pause was that only one of his wings was extended. She internally winced.

“Oh,” Octavia spoke the words before she could stop herself. Her body gave just as much warning, starting to abruptly but lightly trot to the side of the frozen stallion. As she got closer, Octavia confirmed exactly what she had feared.

An ugly stump was sitting on the stallion’s side, staring back at her with a dark snarl. It was easy to notice once it met her eyes, and once it did it was near-impossible to break eye contact with. Pity overtook her.

“Yeah, a lot of ponies do that.” Drifter seemed less panicked. Melancholy overtook his voice and features, sucking the energy out of him. It grabbed Octavia’s attention. She turned to see the stallion looking back at her. He was by no means relaxed--far from it. He did, however, appear far more docile than the high strung pony Octavia had witnessed only moments ago. Then again, she was sure she had appeared similarly to the one-winged pegasus.

“What do you mean?” Octavia asked. Drifter began to explain before she could take her question back.

“My missing wing,” he noted. The stump waved up and down, as if trying to flap a ghostly appendage. It only made it appear more threatening. Drifter saw through the quick façade Octavia attempted to produce. “Once any pony sees it, it’s all they can see. Keeps me out of the air and makes me stick out of a crowd. Not exactly what I call a great combination.”

“May I… inquire as to how this happened?” Octavia could not stop herself. She was fascinated by the oddity of it, though she could at least keep herself from saying as much aloud. Then again, Drifter appeared to be reciting from a script. It only made her feel worse.

“Flying accident,” he noted before giving more detail. “There was a stray thundercloud that had escaped a good dousing for a few days. I went to go take care of it, but I was just a new hire, and I didn’t know a thing about how to handle it. I just bucked it like it was any other cloud, and… well, I guess it kinda bucked back.” He laughed at his own words. It sounded hollow to Octavia. Like a piano with missing keys.

“I’m sorry, your majesty. I… I just really didn’t want to come here to show you this.” The title was what finally broke Octavia from her curiosity-induced state.

“Oh! I’m terribly sorry, but I owe you some honesty as well.” Octavia bowed to Drifter, which she was sure was sending the stallion into a panicked stated once more. “I am not Princess Twilight. My name is Octavia Melody. I am merely a guest of Princess Twilight.”

“O-Oh. Oh…” Drifter responded simply, dejectedly. It was short-lived. “Oh! Oh!!” He quickly righted himself and began to speak further. “Then you must be a princess visiting from another kingdom.” He put his snout to the floor in a flash. Octavia was beginning to both understand Twilight’s dislike for her title and become confused as to how Luna and Celestia could handle it so easily.

“My sincerest apologies for confusing you for Princess Twilight, your majesty.” Drifter continued to bow, making Octavia’s discomfort grow. “I-I’m new in town--brand new--just off the train--and I wanted to talk to Princess Twilight. I wanted her help with something that happened before I got here, b-but if she’s busy, I can come back later. I-Ipromise!” Octavia waved her hoof.

“You are wrong on all accounts, Drifter,” she began to explain. “I am no princess, and I have few friends, let alone my own kingdom. My meeting with Princess Twilight was convened post-haste, so I am sure any means to contact you were delivered just as quickly. Any inconvenience that has fallen on you is as much my fault as anypony’s. For that, I apologize.”

“O-Oh… O-Okay…” Octavia could tell Drifter was used to being told of his own errors with that hesitant reply. Likely he was near the bottom of most pecking orders. “Um… then… how did you…?” His hooved waved around in her direction, and Octavia understood his question immediately.

“In honesty, I do not know.” Octavia shook her head in dejection. She ruffled her gray wings, attempting to fold them back against her sides. It still felt like controlling a limb that was asleep. “I have been conversing with the princesses about this. There has yet to be any reason found for why I have become the way I am now. All I can tell you is that not but a week and two days ago I was an earth pony performing in Canterlot’s Orchestra. I woke up one morning, and now I’m…this.”

“Wow… that’s… that’s pretty cool actually.” He chuckled lightly. His laugh, unlike his last, was much less uncomfortable and much more lively. “Waking up with more limbs. I-I don’t mean to be rude, but… I am kind of jealous.” Octavia didn’t doubt it. She frowned, some of the earlier awkwardness returning.

“I do apologize once more for the manner in which we met. Please, let us start again.” Straightening herself and making sure her wings were secure, Octavia spoke on. “My name is Octavia, and it is a pleasure to meet you, Drifter.” She extended a hoof towards the pegasus. He smiled genuinely before taking it.

“The same!” There was clear comfort in his voice. “It’s great to meet you!” They shook their forelimbs, smiling at one another. She released her hoof first, knowing that he was following her lead. It felt nice, if Octavia was to be honest, to finally be leading more than following for a change. Drifter spoke up. “So, um… where is Princess Twilight?”

“Drifter!” Speak of the devil. Perhaps, thinking on it, that was not the best way to describe Twilight.

Octavia turned, already recognizing the voice. Sure enough, Twilight was quickly trotting into the room. She neared a gallop the closer she got. There was a deep look of worry on Twilight’s features, most likely over there having been an error of some sort. Octavia had seen enough of the princess to know how she acts in the face of her own mistakes.

“Drifter, I am so sorry!” The lavender alicorn bowed to the pegasus. “Spike and I completely forgot to send you a request for moving your court appearance with us. I’m afraid there really isn’t any time to address the matter you needed me for.”

“Um, I… I-I understand, your majesty.” His nervous tone was back in an instant. Octavia imagined it came from seeing the true Princess Twilight. “Octavia told me what happened. I thought she was you at first, and then another princess, and then I thought I made a mistake, which I did, but not the kind that I thought I did. Now I know what’s going on, and I’m sorry that this happened.” It was a rambling apology, but Twilight took it with grace.

“No, Drifter, this is clearly my fault.You shouldn’t blame yourself for this, and I want to make it up to you.” Twilight flashed her horn, making a small piece of parchment appear in the air. Octavia wondered briefly how many hours of practice it would take before she could do that. “This is a reschedule for our meeting. I’ve added an extra two hours, so we can really work through what’s going on. I’ll do everything that I can to help.”

“Thank you, your majesty,” Drifter gave his relieved reply, bowing once more. Octavia saw the unease settle over Twilight’s muzzle. She enjoyed helping, but she clearly hated the glorified praise. Regardless, Drifter took the letter from the princess’s aura, holding it in his hooves to read it and reread it. “I’ll be sure to come by this time, and thank you once more.”

“Likewise. And thank you. Now, Octavia,” Twilight spoke, turning towards the gray alicorn. “We have to hurry. Pinkie Pie needs me to help her set up, and the rest of the girls want to meet you.” Before she could respond, she saw Drifter giving an oddly-excited grin directed at her.

“You’re going to Pinkie Pie’s party?” He asked the already-answered question. “Oh colt, no one throws a party like her. I’m sure you’re gonna have a blast.” At her quizzical look, he explained. “Pinkie basically ambushed me when I got off the train a couple of days ago. I think she was expecting me or something.”

“She does that with all new ponies,” Twilight explained, still slowly moving towards the door with Octavia closely in tow. The gray alicorn listened as she followed. “Any pony in Ponyville is a friend of Pinkie Pie, and you're no exception to that, Drifter.” The look of relief that washed over the stallion’s face was unmistakable.

But so was the distance that was now between Octavia and the pegasus. He was even waving to her. Clearly Twilight had a penchant for timing.

“Have a fun time!” Drifter called after her. “Experience says there’s no party like a Pinkie Pie party!” A fit of muffled giggles came from Twilight, though Octavia didn’t get it.

Either way, she was sure of her ability to handle anything the pink mare threw at her. After all, she had Vinyl for a roommate.

“Are you still unwell, Octavia?” Princess Luna’s address to the younger alicorn had an overtone of concern.

A groan of pain came from said alicorn. Octavia was slumped over a elegantly-stitched, generously stuffed and body sized pillow. It would have been a heavenly fit if her stomach was not currently in the midst of an internal battle. Her throat made a lurch against the violent rumblings of something inside her.

“I will assume that is a yes.” Luna gave an off-put pout. Octavia lightly nodded towards the elder alicorn.

In truth, Octavia was more mortified than she was sick. Here she was in the private chambers of what was not only one of the most powerful ponies in Equestria, but also one of the most ancient and revered. There was no metaphor for how she felt. This was the metaphor.

“If you like, we could postpone this meeting until a later date. There is no benefit to holding this meeting while you are in pain.” Octavia shook her head slowly and heavily before answering.

“No, no. It is alright,” she denied even as another cramp pulled at her gut. “It’s my mistake for eating too many sweets.” The gray alicorn groaned, setting her head back down on the pillow. “Nopony warned me Pinkie Pie was a master at baking.”

“If it affords you peace of mind, my sister has had to bar herself from the pink one’s parties when she can help it.” Octavia twisted her head until she was looking up at Luna. She was only too glad that the dark princess cared little for proper form and stature at this moment. Octavia doubted she could have lifted her head up without regurgitating the baked goods.

“Why is that?” she questioned. The smile that settled over Luna’s lips was immediate, obvious, and undeniably dastardly. Simply put, it was the grin a sister held when they knew a weakness in their sibling. Octavia had seen Vinyl give such a look to her many times before.

“It is commonly said that ponies have a sweet tooth, correct?” Octavia weakly nodded, unsure of where Luna was heading. The dark alicorn straightened herself, finishing with a coy smile. “My sister has a mouth full of them.” Octavia couldn’t help the giggle that sputtered out from her lips, painful as it was.

“Vinyl can be like that at times.” Octavia admitted, doing her utmost to maintain some composure and posture in the presence of the princess. “If it were not for me, she would likely dine solely on hard cider and sweetened corn for days on end.” Luna laughed at the remark, a sound that made Octavia smile as well. Suddenly the room’s tension eased dramatically.

It felt odd, but not uncomfortable, to know that she was able to entertain one of Canterlot’s diarchs with simple stories of her life.

“However, Octavia, there is a reason why we must speak now.” The playful tone in Luna’s words evaporated, the familiar voice of the diarch taking command. Octavia, with some effort, was successful in righting herself. Her lower stomach protested harshly, but she would likely appease it later with some water and a long nap. “Twilight tells me you have been achieving great strides in your magical practice. Is this true?” Octavia nodded.

“Yes. I have been making significant strides, though I am still far from accomplished.” Luna gave a very authoritative nod at the gray alicorn’s words.

“As is to be expected,” she responded. “Magic is not a skill to be mastered all at once. No true skill exists as such. However, I believe that you may be able to focus on a task aside from magic.” Octavia wasn’t sure how to process the words.

“Your majesty, I… I don’t believe I understand what you are referring to.”

Luna raised her hoof at Octavia’s inquiry, shaking her head in disappointment.
“Forgive me, I phrased my words poorly. What I mean to say is that you should focus on a new task in place of magic. Spend fewer hours on controlling the strength of your horn and more on something of equal importance.” As soon as the word ‘equal’ was spoken, Octavia knew exactly what Luna meant.

The wings on her back shook uneasily, as if they had a mind of their own and they understood what that conversation entailed. Luna nodded towards them.

“You have gained much practice in your magic.” Luna thought the better of the statement. “You are now able to control it, in the very least. But your wings are quite another matter.” Luna’s own wings unfolded from her crouched position, making her already impressive form near-imposing in size. They beat once, pushing air through the room and sending a cold chill down Octavia’s coat. It felt unlike anything she’d experienced before. “As with your magic, it is inappropriate to say that you will master flight quickly, but you should learn at most how to control them. They are a part of your body now.”

“Yes... yes. That makes sense, and I do agree.” Octavia truthfully did. “But who will teach me?” Surprisingly, Luna shrugged.

“That is not for me to decide,” the dark alicorn responded. “Again, as with your magic, whom you will learn from is a matter of your own choosing. I am hear to help and guide you, and I can teach you should you so wish, but there are many ponies throughout our kingdom capable of teaching you the ways of flight. I have no doubt that they will jump at the chance to teach a mare such as yourself how to fly.”

Flight. It still sounded like a dream she would have had as a filly. Being able to fly by her own will, not strapped to any chariot or carried by some stallion. Having nothing beneath her hooves but the clouds in the sky. Her wings beating--carrying her. Though she might have preferred the idea of the utility of magic to the power of flight, she would have been remiss to say she was not looking forward to the sensation of flying more than that of casting.

“I can see the idea entertains you.” A hot blush overtook Octavia, her head immediately ducking under the lunar alicorn’s teasing. She made a mental note not to display her daydreams so clearly. The giggle that came afterwards only made the gray alicorn’s cheeks redden further. “Please do not mind. Many ponies who are earthly bound find joy in the idea of flight. You are very fortunate to be able to enjoy such a gift.”

“Yes… Yes I am…” Octavia snuggled deeper into her pillow, ignoring the pain in her stomach. It had subsided somewhat. Hopefully, it would go down further before the meeting’s end. “And it seems I have need to thank you once more, your highness.”

“No, you do not,” Luna declined. “You are a mare under my charge, a pony that seeks my aide. It is I who should be thankful. You offer me trust, something I will admit to occasionally missing since my return from banishment.” The words earned a look of subdued shock from Octavia. Her lips parted slightly and her eyes widened.

“You mean other ponies don’t?” Octavia questioned, clearly in disbelief. “How could they not?” Now it was Luna’s turn to look away from her fellow alicorn.

“Time may heal all wounds, but the memories of them forever remain.” It was a cryptic response, but one that Octavia understood nevertheless. “It is a subject I think ill of. I would prefer if we moved to another topic, if you please.”

Princess Luna stood up, rising to her tallest form and neatly folding her wings. Even her walk was elegant, quickly reaching the mare with the sore stomach still sitting on the heavenly pillow. Luna lowered herself to Octavia’s height, smiling kindly at the younger alicorn.

“Now, Octavia, who would you wish to teach you flight?”

Author's Note:

Poll Question 2:
Who should teach Octavia about her wings?
A) Princess Luna
B) Rainbow Dash
C) Spitfire
D) Derpy Hooves

All answers will be tallied and counted within two weeks of this chapter's posting. The decision will decide the next and future chapters. Think carefully!