• Published 13th Oct 2013
  • 346 Views, 1 Comments

Heralds of a New Age - baldraug666



The Element-Bearers are gone, and a new group of heroes must rise to the challenge to defeat an incredibly powerful foe who threatens the very existence of ponies everywhere.

  • ...
 1
 346

Chapter 2: An Impossible Decision

"These ponies, are a menace!" Somepony in the crowd cried.

"You don't know what you're talking about! They've saved us all time and time again!" Another yelled in reply.

On and on it went, as ponies spewed fabricated truths and cruel insults at one another. It was chaotic. Already, the entire town, as well as outlying farms and small huts were divided. Animosity reigned in the small town of Ponyville. Family was torn asunder as the two "disagreeing" factions drew closer and closer to rioting.

Some blood had already been spilled, two ponies receiving minor bruises and beatings, while three others had been sent to the hospital, one almost trodden to death, and the other two were beaten to a pulp. Most ponies knew it would soon degenerate into all-out bloody war, and more ponies than would be expected were relishing in the prospect of throwing the first punch.

The cause of all of this chaos and disruption was, ironically, those who had saved Ponyville a countless number of times. Twilight and Rainbow had only recently been allowed to leave the hospital, and already they were unceremoniously thrust into the heated dispute of what to do about them.

There were many sides to this argument. Many younger ponies who knew not of the heroism the six bearers of the elements of old, except in stories many of them believed to be fiction, thought that their acts of "vigilantism" was a menace to their town, and they should be stripped of their exceptional gifts before they hurt someone besides themselves. Others who remember the good the Six did, were of the opinion they should retire, and set their elements aside, to live out the remainder of their lives in peace. Some felt they should still bear the elements, and still fight should the need arise.

Twilight didn't know what to think. On the one hand, the recent fiasco with the dragon showed her just how dangerous they really were, albeit only to themselves. On the other, what else could she and the three others still alive do? They've outlived their usefulness, and Twilight knew it. She suspected Celestia knew it too.

The almighty being in question was seated upon a throne, staying in Ponyville until such a time as the arguing stops. Looking gloriously regal, as ever, she presided over the debate silently, lost in her own internal musings. Twilight was envious of Celestia's apparent immortality. She had aged, but it was practically imperceptible, whereas Twilight, though she was an alicorn princess herself, was ancient. Luna was at Celestia's side, as always. She too looked no different than she had when Twilight was young.

Luna, however, was far more vocal than her aloof sister. She was of the firm opinion that Twilight and her friends should be commended for their valiance and bravery over countless occasions, and that if they retired, (Twilight thought Luna was of the opinion they should retire sooner, rather than later,) they should be treated as heroes.

Finally, after several tedious hours of bickering, Celestia rose from her chair. She stood to her full, impressive height, her own radiant sun shining gloriously behind her. She cleared her throat, an already unnecessary act, as the entire congregation of ponies had quieted as soon as she rose.

"Ponies, ponies, ponies." She said. And though she spoke quietly, everypony could hear her perfectly. "I have sat here, and listened to you all argue for too long now. I cannot stand such dissension. You are all, in parts correct." Here she paused, looking at each group for several seconds. "Yes, they were once our greatest heroes, and yes, now they are older, and less capable of combating the dangers that they once so bravely faced. I have pondered long over what we should do with these incredible ponies, and even I do not know."

Twilight was stunned. "How can the princess not know?" She pondered. "What do we do?"

Celestia spoke up again. "I will continue to discuss our options with my sister," here she paused, turning to Twilight, "and the bearer of the Element of Magic, my faithful student, Twilight Sparkle."

This statement dumbfounded the crowded room. At first it was silent, then as Celestia turned around and walked away, beckoning to her sister and Twilight, the mob burst into a hellish rage. Screaming out obscenities and vitriol, Twilight could barely make out that for for many, they felt this was blatant nepotism. Many of the ponies who wanted the elements back in the princesses hooves were close to rioting. Twilight marveled at the anger she saw in them. The ponies more inclined to keep with the status quo tried to keep their comrades in cheque, but it was difficult.

The lavender alicorn followed her teacher through a set of double doors, as the first hooves flung. Immediately, the cadre of royal guards the princess had brought with her leapt into the fray, trying to calm things down. Twilight and the two others walked along a short, unimpressive corridor, until they reached the private guest quarters where the two sisters were staying.

"Oh dear," Celestia sighed, "I'm afraid I'm at a total loss. Any conclusion I reach will be met with hostility and violence from the ponies that disagree. What is left for me to do?"

"Well first, sister, you need to calm down. I'm sure, and I believe Twilight will agree, that the answer will arrive soon." Luna put a hoof around her sister. "We must simply put our heads together, and I know we'll figure it out."

The three most powerful beings in Equestria sat in silent contemplation. Each pondered the ways in which this conflict could be alleviated without further trouble. Finally, a weary and sombre Twilight quietly spoke.

"I... I have a thought." Here she paused, collecting her thoughts. She continued slowly. "All my thoughts, I now find, have turned to the episode with the dragon; I realized... the four of us left, we-we can't protect ponyville anymore. I think... I believe that we need to stop. It's far too dangerous for such aged ponies as ourselves too stay as active as we have been. I think that it's time for us to, oh I don't know, retire, I guess." She finished her monologue with a heavy sigh.

The princesses looked at her with sympathy etched upon their faces. "It must have been difficult saying what you just said." Celestia finally responded. "But I know it's what you think is right. And I am forced to agree. If I am correct, Applejack and Rarity were lost the last time you were called upon to use the Elements, yes? And Equestria cannot afford to lose any more of you four."

"But sister, who could we then call upon if a crisis arose? We'd be losing our most valuable asset in times of emergency!"

"I know, Luna, but what other choice do we have? Twilight is right, they are past their prime, and I don't want them getting hurt!"

"Then what do we do? Once we disconnect the Bearers from their Elements, what? Do we wait for another damn catastrophe to discover who the new Bearers are?" Twilight was shocked. She had never heard any kind of profanity from the two, so Luna's outburst was brand new to her.

"I don't know, Luna. I don't think anypony knows. Our best option now is to try what Twilight said, and pray it works out." She hung her head. "It's all we can do for now."


"Quiet!" The night princess boomed in her most fearful royal roar. She stood at a podium overlooking the townsfolk of Ponyville. They were outside, standing in many separate clusters in front of the town hall. Twilight frowned, standing to the side of the two godlike beings. She assumed the various clusters represented the many dissenting opinions if the people, and was saddened that her friends and neighbours were so divided.

Luna stepped away from the podium as her older sibling stood regally before the crowd. She scanned their faces. Many there were with anger twisting their usual jovial and amicable faces into foul caricatures of their former selves. "Ahem." She cleared her throat, not that it was necessary, as again the crowds attention was already riveted upon her, awaiting eagerly her announcement. "We have reached a consensus." She said. Her words were slow and careful, she spoke clearly and just quiet enough to make sure there was no one else talking. "We have decided that the current Bearers of the Elements of Harmony should retire."

The room veritably exploded. Shouts and curses and cries could be heard amidst the foul cacophony before the three regal beings. The princesses soon tired of this further bickering, and again Luna stepped in to quiet them down.

"Quiet!" She cried, and quiet it did. "We three have deliberated much upon this issue, and this is our response. You don't have to like it, you may think it's a terrible decision, but, it is the decision we have reached. There will be no further debate. Good day."

At this obvious dismissal, the gathering of ponies left, funneling out the doors in large groups, most muttering and grumbling amongst themselves, but some were arguing still loudly.

"Thank you sister dearest." Celestia said. She turned to Twilight "I am afraid we must return to Canterlot now, my faithful student. However, soon we will return, and you can begin your retirement in earnest."

The three exchanged a few more pleasantries, before Luna and Celestia left, leaving Twilight alone in the large room, alone with her thoughts.


However, unbeknownst to any of the ponies that had gathered there that day, including the three princesses, there was a malign presence lurking in the rafters. A dark miasma, hidden among the shadows that had watched and listened intently as the chaos unfolded.

Now, as Twilight started to leave, it descended. It settled around the place where Twilight had just left, relishing in the residual heat her power had left. It was still formidable, the putrid black cloud mused. Regardless of her age and infirmity, she was still a magical force to be reckoned with. It would have to be careful, it thought.

It stretched out a tendril of inky, malicious blackness and with a gesture, opened a portal. The portal was small, only a filly could fit through it, but the cloud had no problem entering it.

As it wormed its way through the opening, it began to take shape. Its shape was an evil conglomeration of many shifting forms. Now it was a large, midnight black pony, with large, leathery wings folded against its sides, a crown of what seemed to be bone and gems perched upon its head, then it was a tall bipedal creature, clad in a robe that seemed to be made of a fluctuating and moving pattern of the silhouettes of many screaming faces.

It changed rapidly, each shape it took stranger and more evil than the previous. Finally, as the last small section of the miasma traveled through the portal and coalesced, it turned back and closed the portal, smiling grimly.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment